Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

The Bee posted:

Mat Block. Speaking of which, why do I have a feeling Mat Block is going to singlehandedly bring Feint into the realm of usability?

Why? It's worse than Protect in every way. It's not even a priority move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
Just had an interesting match with someone online, their team consisted of sandstream and sand veil :suicide:

K6QG-WWWW-WWW2-8QRB

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

LAY-ZX posted:

He's never been a different color than Diglett and he only has the angry eyebrows on odd-numbered generations. No, really. Look it up.

Dugtrio's sprite in Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, i.e. Gen 4, i.e. an even-numbered gen:

You wouldn't like me when I'm two-thirds angry...

:mad::downs::mad:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Slate Action posted:

Dugtrio's sprite in Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, i.e. Gen 4, i.e. an even-numbered gen:

And then he's completely happy in HG/SS. Go figure.

Networking talk: I can connect to the ad-hoc with my laptop, but not my DS :psyduck: guess I'll check out Connectify next.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Zoran posted:

Why? It's worse than Protect in every way. It's not even a priority move.

The insane setups you can pull off with it are going to really shake things up in double battles. It makes Belly Drum possible without resulting in an swift death right after, it makes setups like the Smeargle-Geomancy combo work, and allows for nuke-the-battlefield setups like Exploud's terrifying Boomburst without harming either participant.

Even if it isn't priority, its pretty much exclusively for one of the fastest of the new game's Pokemon.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Slate Action posted:

:mad::downs::mad:

Oh, welp. His HG/SS sprite has no eyebrows, that's what I was going by.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Dienes posted:

Noibert the Noivern: Took out the Dragon trainer and Champion solo. In my heart, he is my original starter.

I Wonder Traded a Noibat named Noibert. You didn't get him by Wonder Trade, did you?

Though I imagine it's a pretty common nickname for Noibats.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Just got a Fennekin through Wonder Trade called "WhatDoISay". Get out of here :argh:

Riversideblues
Jul 23, 2007

Dicks McGillicuddy
Does anyone have an extra Growlithe they can trade me? I can't put up an offer on global trade since I've never seen one :(

Will trade for Pokerus!
0490-5138-3376

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I hope that Dunsparce gets a mega evolution.

Also, where can I get a dusk stone? I want an Aegislash before I take on the Elite 4. Does the Aegislash super training drop it?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Riversideblues posted:

Does anyone have an extra Growlithe they can trade me? I can't put up an offer on global trade since I've never seen one :(

Will trade for Pokerus!
0490-5138-3376

I've got a growlithe. You can trade me whatever for it (not a bidoof)

4441-9110-3585

edit: Also you can get Pokemon you haven't seen on the GTS now. Just make sure you spell their name right :v:

edit: Going to bed!

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Oct 31, 2013

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Improbable Lobster posted:

Also, where can I get a dusk stone? I want an Aegislash before I take on the Elite 4. Does the Aegislash super training drop it?

Yes. It's random, but not too hard to get. Just throw something with maxed Speed and Attack EVs at it for a few rounds and you'll get it just fine.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Read through the OP and the past 5-ish pages and didn't see anything about this, and I keep hearing people complaining about not having enough Reset bags. You folks are doing it all wrong!

:siren: PUNCH THE drat GREY BAG :siren:

Seriously, if you're breeding and have nothing else to do, there's two important things you should know:

1: Punch the drat Grey Bag: The reason you're randomly picking up bags isn't just something happening over time-- it's from your pokemon tapping it once every minute. Doing this manually increases your rate of random pickup tremendously.

2: Watch your Pokes: Ever notice your pokemon has a smiley face bubble at times, or is bouncing up and down on the bench? This gives it a multiplier to its number of hits on the bag and lasts until it's finished. You probably knew this, but this part's important: This multiplier works on the grey bag, which never finishes. The bonus sticks around even if you switch them to the bench. The only time I've seen a pokemon reset outside of using a bag is when I mess around on the computer or leave the game idle, and even then it's dodgy.

So keep at least two pokemon with you when you breed: one excited pokemon to rake in the bags, and another to train on the bags you cherry-pick and toss those you don't need. I generally switch them off as I build up bags for one or the other, since they'll get excited after sitting on the bench for awhile. You can also use Flare bags to jumpstart this.

Is this as efficient as horde training? Hell no, but it also doesn't require any effort if you're breeding-- just tap the screen while you're biking back and forth and look down to check your bags every once in awhile. You'll be swimming in Reset Bags in no time.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Improbable Lobster posted:

You can also grab one in Terminus Cave - it's fairly deep, but it's not hard to get to. Just bring lots of repels.

Son Conan
Sep 25, 2007

HoneyBoy posted:

Nah it's the next three days. Speaking of, it's almost Halloween, post Ghosts.

Correction: :spooky:It is Halloween!:spooky:

Son Conan fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Oct 31, 2013

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Good :words: on reset bags

You can also occasionally find Team Flare bags. These make your Pokemon super energetic, which means you will get a bag every time you tap for a minute or two, until it tapers out to a bag every once in a while like the normal excited state. Your pokemon will stay energetic for a long time, or until you use another bag.

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Evolution: Reproduction of the fit enough.
Two questions.

1. With an adamant speed boost torchic, do you still max out speed EVs or would that be wasteful?

2. What Pokemon line are the special defense punching bags based on?

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

MustelaFuro posted:

Two questions.

1. With an adamant speed boost torchic, do you still max out speed EVs or would that be wasteful?

2. What Pokemon line are the special defense punching bags based on?

1. Yes, because it's so slow that without investment a lot of things can still outspeed and kill it even with a boost.

2. The Flabebe line.

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Evolution: Reproduction of the fit enough.

LAY-ZX posted:

1. Yes, because it's so slow that without investment a lot of things can still outspeed and kill it even with a boost.

2. The Flabebe line.

Ah, alright, thank you.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

JackGeneric posted:

Have they changed how TM moves are inherited? My understanding was that if the father knows a TM move that the child is also capable of learning by TM, then the child will get hatch knowing the move. I'm breeding Phanpies with a Piloswine father that knows Earthquake and Ice Shard, but the babies are only getting Ice Shard. Serebii says that Phanpy can learn Earthquake from TM26, so I don't know what's up.

I might be wrong, but I think some TM moves just happen to be Egg Moves while others are not.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Can I get more Lucky Eggs from friend safari Chanseys? Serebii says no but I remember somebody saying they had their whole team holding lucky eggs while mass-leveling.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Audinos from the friend safari can hold berries so i'm not sure why Chanseys can't hold lucky eggs. It's possible though.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Rainuwastaken posted:

Can I get more Lucky Eggs from friend safari Chanseys? Serebii says no but I remember somebody saying they had their whole team holding lucky eggs while mass-leveling.

You definitely can. I thief'd a whole team full earlier today for leveling newly hatched poo poo.

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010

MustelaFuro posted:

Two questions.

+1 Neutral Mega-Blazekin with speed EVs has 448 speed. Without speed EVs, it has 354. There is stuff between the two, but not *that* much stuff (looking at a list like this). And it is only really a one-turn window for anything within that interval. I guess the question is more one of what you are going to put those stats in instead and will it actually help? Speed is probably still the best choice unless there is a specific purpose (like gaining enough HP to survive X priority move or such).

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Quick question, how would I go about getting a nidoran with the hustle ability this gen? Friend safari only?

Edit: Also is there a good IV checker anywhere online?

Mr. Stanfield
Oct 21, 2010

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Read through the OP and the past 5-ish pages and didn't see anything about this, and I keep hearing people complaining about not having enough Reset bags. You folks are doing it all wrong!

:siren: PUNCH THE drat GREY BAG :siren:

Seriously, if you're breeding and have nothing else to do, there's two important things you should know:

1: Punch the drat Grey Bag: The reason you're randomly picking up bags isn't just something happening over time-- it's from your pokemon tapping it once every minute. Doing this manually increases your rate of random pickup tremendously.

2: Watch your Pokes: Ever notice your pokemon has a smiley face bubble at times, or is bouncing up and down on the bench? This gives it a multiplier to its number of hits on the bag and lasts until it's finished. You probably knew this, but this part's important: This multiplier works on the grey bag, which never finishes. The bonus sticks around even if you switch them to the bench. The only time I've seen a pokemon reset outside of using a bag is when I mess around on the computer or leave the game idle, and even then it's dodgy.

So keep at least two pokemon with you when you breed: one excited pokemon to rake in the bags, and another to train on the bags you cherry-pick and toss those you don't need. I generally switch them off as I build up bags for one or the other, since they'll get excited after sitting on the bench for awhile. You can also use Flare bags to jumpstart this.

Is this as efficient as horde training? Hell no, but it also doesn't require any effort if you're breeding-- just tap the screen while you're biking back and forth and look down to check your bags every once in awhile. You'll be swimming in Reset Bags in no time.

If only it were possible to tap the bag while playing with one hand.

The glorious return of L=A has enabled one handed breeding while keeping the 3DS barely within peripheral vision and once you try it you just can't go back.

Guess you can't have everything :(

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
I finally made a perfect Ghastly! It has perfect IVs in everything except attack.

EXCEPT I ALSO MADE ONE THAT HAS ALL perfect IVs!

However, do I want to use the 5 or the 6? Both are timid and have levitate. The one with 6 might get confused and smack itself for more damage or something, right? Is there any benefit?

Also thinking of putting like, Goomy's evolved version, Scizor, Tyrantrum...and other things? on the team. I am new to competitive battling. Suggestions for spots/movesets?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Dohaeris posted:

However, do I want to use the 5 or the 6? Both are timid and have levitate. The one with 6 might get confused and smack itself for more damage or something, right? Is there any benefit?

No benefit. Use it as an Amorphous breeding stud.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mr. Stanfield posted:

The glorious return of L=A has enabled one handed breeding while keeping the 3DS barely within peripheral vision and once you try it you just can't go back.

I want to like the setting because Suikoden taught me to be a lazy one-handed game-player, but L=A has a really dumb problem in that, to check moves in battle, you have to hold L and press A :downs:

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Mr. Stanfield posted:

If only it were possible to tap the bag while playing with one hand.

You can tap anywhere on the screen and it counts, not just on the bag.

Set your 3DS down beside you where you can just barely see when something pops up, tap until you bore a hole through your screen or go mad.

Mr. Stanfield
Oct 21, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

I want to like the setting because Suikoden taught me to be a lazy one-handed game-player, but L=A has a really dumb problem in that, to check moves in battle, you have to hold L and press A :downs:

Oh yeah I find the setting pretty cumbersome to play with primarily (especially the problem you mentioned), but it's great for extended breeding sessions.

literally real IRL
Apr 28, 2008

Fibby Boy posted:

Quick question, how would I go about getting a nidoran with the hustle ability this gen? Friend safari only?

No nidorans in the safari as far as I know. You have to get them through hordes.

Here's the IV calculator Smogon suggests:
http://www.metalkid.info/Pokemon/Calculators/IV.aspx

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Taser Gator posted:

No nidorans in the safari as far as I know. You have to get them through hordes.

Here's the IV calculator Smogon suggests:
http://www.metalkid.info/Pokemon/Calculators/IV.aspx

Ah damnit. Guess I better go find someone with trace then.

na3r0k
Jun 10, 2013
anyone have a good recommendation on what evs i should train for a timid gastly?

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

na3r0k posted:

anyone have a good recommendation on what evs i should train for a timid gastly?

Sp. Attack and Speed, there's no reason to ever invest in anything else when training a Gengar.

edit: Ghosts.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Fibby Boy posted:

You can do it like I did and get them at horde encounters. Get a pokemon with skill swap or role play to check the abilities of each one of them. I've got a shitload of modest ones, by the way (and a shiny nidoking that's neither modest or sheer force'd :(: )]]

4768-7589-8444

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
double post, oh well.

Dohaeris posted:

I finally made a perfect Ghastly! It has perfect IVs in everything except attack.

EXCEPT I ALSO MADE ONE THAT HAS ALL perfect IVs!

You could check their hidden powers. Fire or Ice could be pretty useful to kill a lot of the annoying stronger pokemon that gengar outspeeds.

Stalgren
Mar 22, 2006

Charizard Go!

Happy Halloween.
Boo

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

nerdz posted:

You can do it like I did and get them at horde encounters. Get a pokemon with skill swap or role play to check the abilities of each one of them. I've got a shitload of modest ones, by the way (and a shiny nidoking that's neither modest or sheer force'd :(: )]]

4768-7589-8444

Awesome! I won't be able to trade until sunday evening/night though.

This thing says my Cranidos's speed and defense are impossible.

Edit: You guys know the old guy who you can leave a pokemon with in Anistar City? Checked up on him and he wasn't around. Apparently he died because I found a note that he left. He thanked me for leaving a pokemon with him and he did his best to take care of it up to the end. Probably the most :unsmith: thing in this whole game.

Bumper Stickup fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Oct 31, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I went to a book signing tonight and overheard someone looking for the guide for Pokemon XY, because they couldn't figure out why their "little blue mouse" wasn't evolving. After determining they did mean Azurill, and letting them know that Pokemon Amie happiness wasn't the same as the happiness stat used for evolving Marill, I gave her some advice on increasing happiness.

She asked me about friend codes, because she hadn't been able to figure them out yet, and I showed her how to find hers. Then she said something like, "Yeah, I borrowed a 3ds for the tour so I could play pokemon during the downtime, but I haven't really figured out all the ins and outs".

*Blink*

So, yeah, I ended up giving advice to and trading Pokemon with Seanan McGuire/Mira Grant. :psyduck:

• Locked thread