Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gray Ghost
Jan 1, 2003

When crime haunts the night, a silent crusader carries the torch of justice.

DustingDuvet posted:

Here is a VERY basic critique. Hope this helps!

This was incredibly helpful! Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Friend's been looking for work for four months, gets offered a six month contract position.

She's considering turning it down because "too much contract work would look bad on my résumé." :psyduck:

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

lol internet. posted:

Anyways, do employers use multiple recruiters to find them a candidate?

Yes.

Anyway, I'm interviewing for an exciting internal opportunity later this week... Pretty excited. A lot of info from these career threads has helped. Thanks folks!

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I currently have interview requests from two companies. They're in the same city, and that city happens to be 3000 miles away from me. Would it be acceptable for me to contact the companies and look into getting the interviews on back-to-back days? I have my courses to worry about, and traveling across the company is a fairly serious time investment. Ideally I could do something like fly out on day 1, interview on day 2, interview again on day 3, and take a red-eye back on day 3. However, I'd need a 3rd night at the hotel (so I don't need to take my luggage to the second interview), and one of the companies wouldn't be paying for anything.

What's the best way to approach this?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I've been a temp for about a month in a company/position that I really like. It's a 2-3 month contract but I applied for a full-time opening of the same position and I'm interviewing for that tomorrow. How should I approach this interview? I know everything about the position so I'm not really sure what I could ask other than "how would things change if I went permanent?". Additionally, two of the four people interviewing me are people in my department that I've interacted with every day, and a third is a person who I see somewhat regularly on my job, so I don't know what they could ask me about other than generic behavioral stuff as I've demonstrated my aptitude for the position well enough already. I wouldn't be worried at all except that there are four temps battling(?) for two permanent spots in this process, it makes more sense to hire three or all of us full-time but I don't want to leave anything to chance.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

FrozenVent posted:

Friend's been looking for work for four months, gets offered a six month contract position.

She's considering turning it down because "too much contract work would look bad on my résumé." :psyduck:

I hope you told her that too much not working would look worse (not that I really understand why; if I see huge employment gaps or lots of contract work, I'll ask about it, but I know times are tough right now).

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Kreeblah posted:

I hope you told her that too much not working would look worse (not that I really understand why; if I see huge employment gaps or lots of contract work, I'll ask about it, but I know times are tough right now).

I told her over and over again. Everything's contract these days. I just got my first permanent job after six years of (mostly long term) contract work. Almost nobody hires permanent off the street, especially in our industry.

Anyway she didn't take the job; amongst her justifications, she has a job-hunting course starting next week that she didn't want to miss, and she wants to hold out for a permanent position. :psyduck:

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Elysiume posted:

I currently have interview requests from two companies. They're in the same city, and that city happens to be 3000 miles away from me. Would it be acceptable for me to contact the companies and look into getting the interviews on back-to-back days? I have my courses to worry about, and traveling across the company is a fairly serious time investment. Ideally I could do something like fly out on day 1, interview on day 2, interview again on day 3, and take a red-eye back on day 3. However, I'd need a 3rd night at the hotel (so I don't need to take my luggage to the second interview), and one of the companies wouldn't be paying for anything.

What's the best way to approach this?

Once one company pays, email the other one and say "I will be in CITY NAME for a personal trip on DATE and would be available to interview for CHOCOLATE TEAPOT MAKER at TIME. If that fits with your schedule, I'd be happy to make time to visit your office at that point."

Make it completely low-stress on their part. You may have to finagle with the paying company to extend the trip a day (say you have family in the area or something, maybe) if necessary. You'll have to pay for the extra hotel night yourself.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid

FrozenVent posted:

I told her over and over again. Everything's contract these days. I just got my first permanent job after six years of (mostly long term) contract work. Almost nobody hires permanent off the street, especially in our industry.

Anyway she didn't take the job; amongst her justifications, she has a job-hunting course starting next week that she didn't want to miss, and she wants to hold out for a permanent position. :psyduck:

I've been pretty much against contract work but after being contacted for a contract job by a recruiter today and thinking about it, I'd be able to make more money in six months than what I make in 1 year at my previous job or next job. Going to try to get the contract position for fun because no one hires in December anyways. You should tell your friend that.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

lol internet. posted:

I've been pretty much against contract work but after being contacted for a contract job by a recruiter today and thinking about it, I'd be able to make more money in six months than what I make in 1 year at my previous job or next job. Going to try to get the contract position for fun because no one hires in December anyways. You should tell your friend that.

Nothing at all wrong with contract work. It can be lucrative, it can lead to other things, etc... It's a definite good option.

haakman
May 5, 2011
Just a quick question - Should I be uploading my CV in .pdf or .doc format to jobsites? I understand lots of recruiters use automatic keyword matching software - is this affected by what document type my CV is in?

Thanks

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

FrozenVent posted:

It depends where you are and what verticals you're looking in. Healthcare hires are usually FTE out of the gate. Startups typically don't want IT contractors at all. Finance and defense industry hires are almost exclusively contract-only or contract-to-hire positions. Companies in the DC area, regardless of vertical, tend to hire contractors because that's all their labor market has.

FrozenVent posted:

Is she looking to have kids soon? Lots of guys absolutely don't get this, but being a woman in contracting can be a death sentence because in most states there are absolutely no maternity benefits for 1099s.

Edit: Didn't notice before that you're Canadian, and I'm assuming your friend is too. Is the situation the same in Canada?

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 31, 2013

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Misogynist posted:

It depends where you are and what verticals you're looking in. Healthcare hires are usually FTE out of the gate. Startups typically don't want IT contractors at all. Finance and defense industry hires are almost exclusively contract-only or contract-to-hire positions. Companies in the DC area, regardless of vertical, tend to hire contractors because that's all their labor market has.

Is she looking to have kids soon? Lots of guys absolutely don't get this, but being a woman in contracting can be a death sentence because in most states there are absolutely no maternity benefits for 1099s.

Edit: Didn't notice before that you're Canadian, and I'm assuming your friend is too. Is the situation the same in Canada?

She's very concerned about having kids, to the point where that's pretty much her number one selection criteria. I'm not entirely sure how maternity leaves works in the province, it's a government-managed system that's paid in by... I don't know, I work in a different province.

The issue is that she's in an industry that's basically 100% contract-to-hire or just contract, at her level of qualifications anyway.Personally I don't think she's taking her career in the right direction if she wants to be successful long term (There's a milestone qualification she should go get that she doesn't want to do), and I don't think she's being realistic in her expectations. I have a better resume (More experience, more qualifications) and I took a contract job 15k under her asking salary.

Anyway, it's her life, it's not my problem. I just think it's nuts to pass up a job - any job - with a large organization that's known for its retention after four months of fruitless job searching.

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 31, 2013

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I've heard conflicting advice about this: Should I include a cover letter if it isn't requested? Or is it one of those "At worst they'll ignore it; at best it'll increase your chances" deals?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

I've heard conflicting advice about this: Should I include a cover letter if it isn't requested? Or is it one of those "At worst they'll ignore it; at best it'll increase your chances" deals?

Include a cover letter, unless you have to upload your resume and there's no way to do it that isn't awkward as all heck.

Stavrogin
Feb 6, 2010
Any advice on dressing for Construction jobs? Not quite grunt work, not quite construction management- pretty much a working supervisor. Hell, it's a Habitat for Humanity job. I actually held the same position for another Habitat chapter, which I'm sure will work in my favor- but it's a tricky thing for the interview. A suit would be too formal, and obviously, though I'll be wearing jeans and a Carhartt every day to work in, I wouldn't wear that at an interview. Nice jeans, collared shirt, blazer? Any thoughts?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
So I currently have a "prints all on one page, small, condensed" resume that I made for job fairs. Should I make the font bigger, putting it at 1.5 pages, for submitting to jobs online? Or will it not matter?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

It's not about the size of the text (you're using 11-12 pts, right?), it's about the amount of information. If you stretch out a one page résumé to take up 1.5 pages, it's still a one page résumé, but now it has a hosed up layout.

It's not about a magic number of pages, it's the amount of information and the time the reader is going to spend with it.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
My problem is that I'm trying to fit my current research, my current job, my past three jobs, and my educational experience on one page. It's tough.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

Stavrogin posted:

Any advice on dressing for Construction jobs? Not quite grunt work, not quite construction management- pretty much a working supervisor. Hell, it's a Habitat for Humanity job. I actually held the same position for another Habitat chapter, which I'm sure will work in my favor- but it's a tricky thing for the interview. A suit would be too formal, and obviously, though I'll be wearing jeans and a Carhartt every day to work in, I wouldn't wear that at an interview. Nice jeans, collared shirt, blazer? Any thoughts?

Go with nice pants (khakis) over jeans, and a nice shirt. If you have a jacket that you like I'd wear that too. That's the comparable equivalent of going full suit-and-tie for an interview at n office where they do business casual. I think it's good to look a couple of steps nicer than the day-to-day. Shows you take it seriously. But in your case a tie would probably be too far.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Can I include my time as an intern towards my total industry experience? I'm applying for a job that requires 4 years industry experience and I have 3 years experience if you count my internship.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Can I include my time as an intern towards my total industry experience? I'm applying for a job that requires 4 years industry experience and I have 3 years experience if you count my internship.

That's the whole point of an internship.

Experience requirements are pretty fluid anyway, apply.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Yeah I'm finding that out pretty rapidly. I applied to a bunch of places that I'm 1ish year short and most have responded.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Friend with an MA got a job straight of school (though he had lots of grad experience) working a job which had requirements listed as PhD + 7-10 years. They LOVE him. Obviously, he got lucky, but don't be afraid to apply to jobs you feel you can do but don't meet the experience requirements. Worst thing that happens is you continue not working there.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
Anyone know why banks seem to hire contract so much for IT positions instead of just hiring on? Sometimes I feel they just keep posting the same job over and over again for a new person to come in.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

lol internet. posted:

Anyone know why banks seem to hire contract so much for IT positions instead of just hiring on? Sometimes I feel they just keep posting the same job over and over again for a new person to come in.
Contractors belong to capital project budgets, while FTEs belong to operations budgets. Financial shops are obsessed with this distinction.

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

An anonymous Goon sent me a PM asking for a resume critique. Here you are!

Goon Approved Resume and CV Writing Service
http://bit.ly/ForumsCritique
My service will get you job interviews!

Initio
Oct 29, 2007
!
Can anyone help critique my resume? https://www.dropbox.com/s/bf54n0ovtxpzutp/goon%20resume%20draft.docx

I feel like I'm struggling with how to present my job history well in a resume format. My job history is basically this:
  • From high school to the end of college, I worked at Big-Box retailer.
  • After college, I joined ConsultingFirm.
  • Then, ConsultingFirm outsourced me to CompanyX for work on Project1.
  • Next, ConsultingFirm outsourced me to CompanyX for work on Project2. (This is the same company, but a new project)
  • Now, I am working on Project3 directly for ConsultingFirm.

In addition to accomplishments related to projects (such as writing computer programs), I have accomplishments related to ConsultingFirm itself (such as mentoring new joiners and conducting technical interviews). But the format I have makes it sound like everything that I do is for a particular project.

Lastly, I'd like to know if it makes sense to cut either the Big-Box from my experience and/or the Technology section.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
I was told at the end of the interview that he would be preparing an offer. Any good resources for salary negotiation? This is with a huge company that is large enough to have some salary reports on glass door so I can have a rough idea of what I might get, 4 others have reported on salary for a similar position.

EDIT: Something more in depth than the couple paragraphs in the OP which are very helpful.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Nov 7, 2013

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
I'm an electrical engineer - I sent a resume to a company recently and they replied saying to send them some "representative examples of prior work". I'm not really sure how to respond to this - certainly I can't send them design work I've done under hire at previous jobs (which isn't a lot anyway, since my work has not been particularly design-oriented); and I don't really have much in the way of hobby work either.

I mean, they have my resume - it covers my work experience and skills and whatnot - I'm not really sure what they're looking for here.

fyo
Mar 9, 2007
smugly conventional
On Wednesday I had a second interview with the owner of a very small (5 people) company. The first interview was with the VP. It's between me and one other candidate, and they said they'd let me know their decision early next week. The owner didn't give me their email address, but I do have the VP's email from prior communications.

I'm wondering if I should send a thank you/follow-up to the VP? I guess it can't hurt either way?

I'm a little naive when it comes to stuff like this :3:

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I currently have a job that I like in a place I do not want to live.

For the past three months, I have checked the job listings for the area I want to move to, and I have applied to every job opening that is roughly similar to my current position.

The pay range for this job is about $30,000-$40,000/year, so I'm worried the job is not a big enough deal for them to consider me since I live on the other end of the country. I thought about putting a friend's address on my application, but they will see that I currently work at MAJOR UNIVERSITY in the state I currently live in and know I am far away. I have created short-lists for when we hire for vacancies at this job, and I have seen first-hand how we basically throw out any resume from someone who isn't close to us. With that said, we generally never have applicants with experience that is anything close to what we do, and I suspect that if we did have an applicant who lived somewhere else with the relevant experience, then we probably would invite them for an interview.

I applied for two jobs three months ago. They were both with big universities and made me use the online applications sent to faceless HR emails. Just over one month after applying, I found the unit heads and emailed them personally saying that I was still very excited about the job and was fully willing to re-locate. I received notices from both jobs last week saying that I was not going to be asked for an interview. It's possible that someone much more qualified and with more experience applied, or that they had an internal candidate and I never had a chance, but it keeps irking me that they might just see I'm living far away and are throwing my resume out. Maybe I was roughly on par with several other applicants, and they just cut me since it would be a hassle to interview me?

The University I most want to work for has listed another job that matches even closer to my experience and area of expertise. I have revised my resume to fit it more closely, but the application website just uses a "RESUME" block. I don't think I should shove a cover letter into that text box, but would it be too much to email a cover letter to someone from within the department? I really want to make it clear to them that I am seriously interested in the job and re-locating; I don't want them to just throw my resume out when they see where I live.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Are you in academia? If so, nobody's going to bat an eye about you moving accross the country for a low paying job; in fact it's pretty much expected.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I'm in "higher education," my job is largely administrative, but it requires specialized knowledge about immigration and visa stuff. They WILL hire people who don't know anything that they think could learn it (or people who speak foreign languages etc.,) but they hugely prefer hiring people that have done immigration type stuff before. In our case, we rarely get applicants that have that experience, so unless there are lots of other people who are applying with similar experience to me, I find it somewhat unsettling that I'm not at least getting an interview.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

Misogynist posted:

Contractors belong to capital project budgets, while FTEs belong to operations budgets. Financial shops are obsessed with this distinction.

Do you think these contract positions will ever go into full time permanent positions? I had a recruiter cotact me and they said the rate was up to 32/hour. I asked them if the bank would be willing to negotiate as I was looking for at least 36/hour and I never got a reply back yet. It's been one day.

Did I piss the recruiter off? heh.

Briantist
Dec 5, 2003

The Professor does not approve of your post.
Lipstick Apathy

CarForumPoster posted:

I was told at the end of the interview that he would be preparing an offer. Any good resources for salary negotiation? This is with a huge company that is large enough to have some salary reports on glass door so I can have a rough idea of what I might get, 4 others have reported on salary for a similar position.

EDIT: Something more in depth than the couple paragraphs in the OP which are very helpful.
http://www.kalzumeus.com/2012/01/23/salary-negotiation/

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Thanks, I read that, which doubly applied to me since I am an engineer, and watched a youtube series from the guy he recommends, Remit.

Heres that for anyone interested: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD14FA0C81E7008A7

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
I'm done with my second week of job searching today with no real interviews yet. All I've had so far are 4 recruiter interviews that basically told me the same thing: "your resume looks great, we'll call if we find anything". The closest I've come to is being "considered" for a job with 3 other candidates, but that fell through since they had actual experience, where I'm a new graduate looking for an entry level IT position.

I've check out all of the local city websites to see if any of them are hiring, and I've only found 1 job. The job is in a police station and requires a CVSA test. Wow, that's something I would have never considered. That and the entire application procedure is odd as well. You have to print out an application and then hand deliver it to the HR department at City Hall. I'm thinking of calling HR first just to make sure they're still looking for people for the position. Is this a good move? It's a pretty old posting and I'd rather not waste all that time if they already hired someone.

Hopefully week 3 is better. I'm probably going to start looking in other cities, maybe even other states.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Totally bombed a phone interview. I really hate them and I've only done 2 phone interviews before this ever. Also I was flying blind and was never sent a job description from the recruiter. I wasn't crazy at all about the company anyway. All around a disaster, but at least it wasn't for someone I wanted to actually work for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

cheese eats mouse posted:

Totally bombed a phone interview. I really hate them and I've only done 2 phone interviews before this ever. Also I was flying blind and was never sent a job description from the recruiter. I wasn't crazy at all about the company anyway. All around a disaster, but at least it wasn't for someone I wanted to actually work for.

I've always just ignored the first call, and waited for them to leave a message with the phone number and name.

I would afterwards use a throwaway linked in account to find out who the person was, where they are working and what position they are in. I do this because I literally have multiple applications out there so I honestly won't even remember the details of the job. I'd take an hour or two to prepare depending on their position, review the job requirements and try to anticipate the type of questions they might have before I call them back.

Hope that helps for other jobs, although I know you mentioned your recruiter didn't give you a job description to begin with for this one.

Question for myself: I have a second interview with the same person. What can I expect? The interview is with the hiring director, the first time he asked about the things I did at my previous job and my experience with it. Gave me a quick tour of the comms room and the building.