Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

saihate posted:

Can someone explain (Case 3 spoilers) how Hugh's necklace got on his neck. That thing looks like it's made of solid clay or something. Poor guy kinda lucked out since everyone else got bracelets, but hey, maybe he likes necklaces?

The hands are a clasp, I thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
I'm about halfway through Case 2, I think, and holy poo poo, Damien Tenma is loving Father Of The Year. He is just the nicest guy for someone who is pretending to be possessed by a crow demon and wants to break out of jail just to make sure kids at school don't make fun of his daughter. He's just so perfect and he's one of the few video game characters who gives you that warm fuzzy feeling just being on screen. Aside from the whole apparent possession thing. gently caress Blackquill, gently caress Athena, the real best new character is the man with the paper mache head.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

LordHippoman posted:

I'm about halfway through Case 2, I think, and holy poo poo, Damien Tenma is loving Father Of The Year. He is just the nicest guy for someone who is pretending to be possessed by a crow demon and wants to break out of jail just to make sure kids at school don't make fun of his daughter. He's just so perfect and he's one of the few video game characters who gives you that warm fuzzy feeling just being on screen. Aside from the whole apparent possession thing. gently caress Blackquill, gently caress Athena, the real best new character is the man with the paper mache head.

I think Tenma is an otherkin and Tenma Taro is his headmate :laugh:

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
Ok, show of hands.

[VERY minor Case 5 spoiler]
When Phoenix's phone rings while at the detention center,how many of you stopped to listen to the full version of the Steel Samurai theme?

Oh, how this series gets to me. :allears: I kind of miss Nick's "cool" persona, but this game just feels more fun than AA4.

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012

LordHippoman posted:

You haven't seen anything yet, keep on playing to see how he is going to be best father ever.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Just finished up this game today, and blitzed through this thread. It had its share of flaws, but overall I thought it was fantastic. The first case was probably my favorite of the tutorial cases. Everything came together and made sense at the end (well except for the fact that no one asked the bailiff if Apollo was conscious when he fetched Juniper). Plus it gave us what is easily one of the best breakdowns in the series. Dude threatens to blow up the courtroom, tries to disarm the bomb with his face, then his face blows up. Tonate gives a speech explaining everything and it's all tied up nicely.

For whatever reason there seemed to a ton of typos in Case 3. I was worried it would lead to a miracle never happen moment in the final case that would ruin an emotional scene, but all the other cases were fine so I don't know what gave. Combined with the bug that gave Means his staff when he wasn't supposed to have it, I'm wondering if that case was properly playtested at all. I also wasn't as keen on his breakdown as everyone else seems to be. I thought that the trial's energy dried up when Athena started wrapping herself like a statue. Plus, due to the aforementioned bug, I was confused as hell about what the murder weapon was. Worst of all, because Means' teeth shattered, we didn't get an insane rant about his motivation from him (those were always my favorite parts).

However the final case (well, cases) was great. Case four is pretty much the only time in the series where you get a not guilty verdict without fingering the actual culprit. I didn't even know that happened in the AA universe. Case five, when Fulbright said he couldn't find an open courtroom, I thought for sure they'd decide to hold trial using the Themis Legal Academy's mock trial courtroom. Phoenix realizing instead that he could hold court in the bombed out ruins of courtroom No. 4 was a true holy poo poo moment for me. Speaking of which, thinking Phoenix was defending in his office while it was exploding is perfectly in character for the Fey girls. :3:

Bobby Fulbright actually grew on me. At first I thought his schtick was corny and tedious, making him nothing but a poor man's Gumshoe. However, as the game progressed, and Fulbright became more willing to help, I found him more endearing and less annoying. Until the end. Man was that a twist. I had actually suspected him before the big reveal only because I didn't think any other character could be The Phantom. I actually thought Clay might have been the Phantom (and I guess was killed trying to sabotage the rocket?) simply because no other character besides Fulbright seemed a likely suspect. It wasn't until Phoenix deduced that the Phantom jumped onto the emergency ladder that I realized it really did have to be Fulbright ("The ladder? That seems like kinda bullshit since he would have had to know in advance that it would be there, and the only one who... oh... oh poo poo. Ohhhhh poo poo").

Now when is that Orca DLC coming out?

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Ammat The Ankh posted:

For whatever reason there seemed to a ton of typos in Case 3.

I think there was 3 counts of "If you think ***, you've got another thing coming" in the game. I dismissed the first time as a typo but obviously they don't even know it's "another think".

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Finished this a couple days ago, finally decided to put my feelings in print.

I think the game was an amazing ride through, though not without its flaws. I found all of the cases to be pretty solid, with case 3 to be my personal favourite. (case 3 spoilers) Despite popular consensus (I think), Robin is my favourite side character by far. Both of her personalities are so incredibly ridiculous that I can't help but to laugh. I found her to be an absolute delight everytime she popped up. Means' breakdown is also one of my all-time favourites, I even managed to get swindled by the Hugh red herring despite Means not being able to shut the gently caress up about the means and ends justifying.

I found Athena to be a really great fit with the rest of the cast, despite worrying that the main cast was getting a little bloated with Phoenix and Apollo already taking centre stage. But I found the Athena/Apollo tag-team to be very well done and loved that the game swapped between both of them as the player character, showing off their rapport from both sides. I'm amazed at how well they gave each of the lawyers their own distinct style and personality, particularly with how they handle themselves in court. It really fleshed out their characters well, something Apollo sorely needed after AA4.

(case 5 spoilers) Pearl is great in this game, and seeing her and Maya's letter made me realize just how much I missed the old trilogy characters. I got hit with the nostalgia hammer pretty hard seeing all of her old animations redone in the new 3D engine with her aged-up self. I really hope the little stinger at the end suggests Maya finally finishes her fuckin' training and returns in AA6 (also that AA6 gets localized, Capcom). Seeing Edgeworth again was also great, forgot how much I missed him until his theme pulled up. I don't even care about how utterly fan-wanky his court battle with Phoenix was (it was in a destroyed courtroom), I loved every second of it.

Echoing someone else's thoughts earlier in the thread that AA5 really has a lot of endearing moments that AA4 kinda missed, especially with regards to Phoenix. The entire time in AA4, we see this beat up old hoboNick and we're left wondering "where are your best bros Maya/Pearl/Edgeworth why are you all alone oh god capcom". (case 5 spoilers) The reveal that Edgeworth attends Trucy's magic shows with Phoenix was the most endearing thing I've ever heard in a stupid video game. Finding out that Pearl visits all the time and even Maya manages to occasionally pop by is a detail I felt was really missing in AA4 (though Maya obviously kept in touch).

I wasn't entirely sold on Bobby Fulbright as the detective until the exact moment he pulls out his ID/badge from a side-holster :allears:. From then on, I found each of his appearances to be so energetic and fun that he quickly became a favourite. I especially love (case 3) the bit where he helps Athena with the flag from the 3rd floor art room, with both of them just screaming his catchphrase at each other while Klavier just goes "???". As a result (full game spoilers) his reveal was absolutely bone-chilling. I got goosebumps at the exact moment Phoenix realizes who the phantom was and thought that it was one of the best reveals an Ace Attorney game has ever done (though time has probably clouded my thoughts on the past reveals).

I did have two big problems wth AA5. The game could not stop beating you over the loving head with the dark age of the law and case 3 killed me with the means-justify-the-ends, as if that's some new edgy thought that's sweeping the world. (full game spoilers) Despite me loving the Fulbright reveal, taking him down didn't feel nearly as satisfying as the other endgame bosses. I think for me, if the phantom turned out to have actually killed/replaced Fulbright right before the start of case 4, it would have had a lot more impact (though I imagine anyone that didn't like Fulbright to begin with wouldn't feel the same). However, I do like that in retrospect, knowing that Fulbright never really existed to the player makes all of the interactions you have with him incredibly weird and dark.

That said, characters are great, writing is great, game is great. Eagerly awaiting the DLC case, as well as Layton X Wright. I would kill, kill someone for an AA1-4 anthology collection for the 3ds, as I have no easy/cheap way to replay those games. It's been so long that I'm really muddy on all the details and would love to run through them again.

Now back to AA hibernation until AA6 comes out in 5 years. See y'all in 2018.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Man, Athena's "startled" animation is really stupid looking. It's the only animation I straight up don't like. Also, it really feels like Klavier has no point in being here, and that sucks because I really dig him.

E: Holy poo poo the ending to case 3. That was something beautiful.

Austrian mook fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Oct 31, 2013

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

The game certainly has some weird-looking animations.
Athena's :stonk: looks just a bit derpy:

And Apollo's mouth seems to move to the right side of his face at times:

And More fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Oct 31, 2013

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

And More posted:

And Apollo's mouth seems to move to the right side of his face at times:

I sure am glad they brought this awful, awful facial expression over from AJ. Really glad.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

tiistai posted:

I think there was 3 counts of "If you think ***, you've got another thing coming" in the game. I dismissed the first time as a typo but obviously they don't even know it's "another think".

I KNOW, RIGHT?! I didn't even know there were people who thought it was "thing" but apparently this has been a thing for centuries and people are bad at English.

Holy poo poo Capcom needs to fire their editor. Or possibly hire one.

I also spotted two counts of "one in the same" and a whole bunch of typos. Highlights include:

[spoilers have been gutted]

"feels like my chest is in a vise"

"bandaged up that like"

"Dadddy"

"Disciplinarian Committee" (on reflection this might have been a deliberate but poorly made localization change)

"[do a thing] this instance!"

"Are you accusing the witness with some sort of crime?"

"I believe that to be extremely importantly!"

"It is your brain that has flow the coop"

They also like to mix the present perfect and present imperfect tenses a lot (eg: "It's been a long time since I've seen that" - technically correct but very precarious and generally not advised because any sort of modification to the order or speaking style ruins the sentence).

Also, I feel this thread has been conspicuously absent of people complaining about the font. Why aren't more people complaining about the font? Holy poo poo, have any of you people actually looked at the font? It's hideous! It's lopsided! It's blurry! And worst of all, it's INCONSISTENTLY KERNED!

I think all of these things might actually be scaling issues rather than actual font issues; the game has to display characters at multiple sizes and text often looks way better/worse in some sizes than others (prime example: the "got evidence" panels are blurry as gently caress on the top screen and fine-ish on the bottom screen). Also it has been pointed out to me that in the split second after you select a multiple-choice option on the bottom screen, the font looks perfect (and also it sometimes looks much better when sliding around during Mood Matrix sequences). This is why I think it's a scaling issue, maybe.

...what? The plot? The characters? The 3D models? ...Those are all fine, I guess.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I actually didn't know it was "You've got another think coming" until a few days ago, and I thought that was a spelling error. v:v:v It sounds weird.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Fedule posted:

I KNOW, RIGHT?! I didn't even know there were people who thought it was "thing" but apparently this has been a thing for centuries and people are bad at English.

Holy poo poo Capcom needs to fire their editor. Or possibly hire one.

I also spotted two counts of "one in the same" and a whole bunch of typos. Highlights include:

[spoilers have been gutted]

"feels like my chest is in a vise"

"bandaged up that like"

"Dadddy"

"Disciplinarian Committee" (on reflection this might have been a deliberate but poorly made localization change)

"[do a thing] this instance!"

"Are you accusing the witness with some sort of crime?"

"I believe that to be extremely importantly!"

"It is your brain that has flow the coop"

They also like to mix the present perfect and present imperfect tenses a lot (eg: "It's been a long time since I've seen that" - technically correct but very precarious and generally not advised because any sort of modification to the order or speaking style ruins the sentence).

Also, I feel this thread has been conspicuously absent of people complaining about the font. Why aren't more people complaining about the font? Holy poo poo, have any of you people actually looked at the font? It's hideous! It's lopsided! It's blurry! And worst of all, it's INCONSISTENTLY KERNED!

I think all of these things might actually be scaling issues rather than actual font issues; the game has to display characters at multiple sizes and text often looks way better/worse in some sizes than others (prime example: the "got evidence" panels are blurry as gently caress on the top screen and fine-ish on the bottom screen). Also it has been pointed out to me that in the split second after you select a multiple-choice option on the bottom screen, the font looks perfect (and also it sometimes looks much better when sliding around during Mood Matrix sequences). This is why I think it's a scaling issue, maybe.

...what? The plot? The characters? The 3D models? ...Those are all fine, I guess.

Or Apollo with a bandaged eye saying he's got a sty. Didn't know he was herding pigs. :negative:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

"You've got another thing coming" isn't incorrect, nor is another think.
They both make perfect sense and which on you use is almost certainly based on colloquialism. The original basis for another think is purposefully ungrammatical for the sake of comedy, another thing is grammatically more sound. I personally have never heard anyone say "another think". It could very well be a difference in American and English English.

"Feels like my chest is in a vise" is correct. It means the tool that holds things, not the habit or behaviour.

Healbot posted:

Or Apollo with a bandaged eye saying he's got a sty. Didn't know he was herding pigs. :negative:

Sty is an accepted, but uncommon, spelling of the eye ailment.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Oct 31, 2013

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"

tiistai posted:

You can blame Judas Priest for that.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I really love how pretty much all of the numbers look like they're missing a few pixels on the right side. :negative:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Aurain posted:

They both make perfect sense and which on you use is almost certainly based on colloquialism. The original basis for another think is purposefully ungrammatical for the sake of comedy, another thing is grammatically more sound. I personally have never heard anyone say "another think". It could very well be a difference in American and English English.

"Feels like my chest is in a vise" is correct. It means the tool that holds things, not the habit or behaviour.

Actually, vice/vise is the American/British English matter ("vise" is only used in American English and only ever to refer to the tool, and even then is somewhat disputed. As you say, the implicitly immoral habit is still a "vice", and there is no such thing as a "vise president"). In British English all three things are vices.

"Another think coming" was in fact coined in America (in 1895 iirc), and the dispute is common to both British and American English. The "think" phrasing is not, in fact, ungrammatical - "think", while not strictly speaking a noun, can be used like a noun with the phrasing "to have a think" (and, therefore, another think coming). The dispute arose when the idiom began to be communicated verbally, because "think coming" is phonetically indistinguishable from "thing coming" and, as you say, it is not immediately obvious that the former phrasing is grammatically correct. What really exacerbated the matter though, was when people began to abbreviate the expression to simply "he has another think coming" without any preceding statement as to what the subject is thinking, which, combined with the previous confusions, gives the very strong impression of a person who believes one thing is coming when in fact another thing is coming, rather than a person for whom a reevaluation of circumstances is imminent. Therefore, someone can say "think" and everyone in the room can hear "thing", and, more importantly, can go on to write about how they heard "thing". And then Judas Priest went and popularized "thing".

You're right about sty/stye, in that both are used interchangeably to describe the eye ailment, although there's a major push by doctors/etc to establish "stye" as the definitive spelling.

ChaosArgate posted:

I really love how pretty much all of the numbers look like they're missing a few pixels on the right side. :negative:

All the numbers, and all the vowels too. :negative:

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Aurain posted:

They both make perfect sense and which on you use is almost certainly based on colloquialism.

I can begrudgingly accept "another thing coming" if it's used alone, but "if you think x, you've got another thing coming" just makes absolutely no semantic sense to me. It's no better than "I could care less".

The font problems were kind of ridiculous, but eventually I just stopped being bothered by them. Probably because my eyes were blurry anyway from marathoning the game.

tiistai fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Oct 31, 2013

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

On the off-chance there are interested parties, Play-Asia has the Japanese physical version of the game on sale for $35 USD (it's normally $57) for the next 24 hours. They list the game's genre as "Accurate Lawyer Simulator." :v: :siren:Remember that 3DSes are region-locked so a Japanese 3DS is required to play it:siren:. Also, they're out of stock but expecting more copies in a week and you can still place an order at the sale price now.

http://www.play-asia.com/gyakuten-saiban-5-paOS-13-49-fr-70-6h2n.html

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Fedule posted:

"Inmate who was formally a surgeon" annoyed me, but I like to think of it as a Trauma Team reference. :v:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Strange Quark posted:

"Inmate who was formally a surgeon" annoyed me, but I like to think of it as a Trauma Team reference. :v:

Oh, god, seriously?! How did I miss that? That's the kind of thing that normally jumps out at me... unless it's in a Press section? I tend to skip those sometimes, when the contradictions are blatantly obvious.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
I remember "diffused a bomb" popping up. Although I guess technically speaking a bomb was diffused.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Oh, also, here's a thing that I've only recently thought to even ask:

Exactly whose destinies are the titular "Dual Destinies"? It seems like any pair out of Phoenix, Apollo, Athena and Blackquill would work here, but I imagine they had one particular pair in mind?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Fedule posted:

Oh, god, seriously?! How did I miss that? That's the kind of thing that normally jumps out at me... unless it's in a Press section? I tend to skip those sometimes, when the contradictions are blatantly obvious.

Well, I'm pretty sure Blackquill brought up an ex-surgeon again a bit later during the same trial day (case 3?), so I don't think it was in the missable dialogue.

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 31, 2013

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
One thing that I'm wondering about is [spoilers for case 5]I get Apollo getting rid of his eyepatch bandage thingy because he no longer suspects Athena. But in-game, only like two or three days have passe since the explosion and yet Apollo takes off all his bandages and is miraculously healed even though he was reportedly still so injured his wounds reopened just the day before. Has he truly inherited Phoenix's mutant healing factor? Is that what the Phoenix Wright ace attorney training is like?

Day 1) If it moves, present your badge.

Day 2) Mutant healing factor class.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Fedule posted:

Oh, also, here's a thing that I've only recently thought to even ask:

Exactly whose destinies are the titular "Dual Destinies"? It seems like any pair out of Phoenix, Apollo, Athena and Blackquill would work here, but I imagine they had one particular pair in mind?

Maybe that's the idea they're going for? Ie, each of the main characters is caught up in a dual destiny against/alongside someone else. Apollo and Clay, Athena and Blackquill, Phoenix and Edgeworth.

That or they thought it sounded cool and then failed to justify it.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Sherringford posted:

One thing that I'm wondering about is [spoilers for case 5]I get Apollo getting rid of his eyepatch bandage thingy because he no longer suspects Athena. But in-game, only like two or three days have passe since the explosion and yet Apollo takes off all his bandages and is miraculously healed even though he was reportedly still so injured his wounds reopened just the day before. Has he truly inherited Phoenix's mutant healing factor? Is that what the Phoenix Wright ace attorney training is like?

Day 1) If it moves, present your badge.

Day 2) Mutant healing factor class.

I assumed he had his arms bandaged to interfere with his bracelet, for the same reason he bandaged his eye in case 4.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

The Chairman posted:

I assumed he had his arms bandaged to interfere with his bracelet, for the same reason he bandaged his eye in case 4.

He didn't get the arm bandages until after the explosion though.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Scuttlebutt owns hugely, everyone.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

KATY PERRY posted:

Scuttlebutt owns hugely, everyone.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Case 5 Investigation 1 "I am ready to utilise my blast processing abilities to impart all available information!" Clonco's the best robot.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
how does case 4-5 work? Are they the same case? Or what?

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Austrian mook posted:

how does case 4-5 work? Are they the same case? Or what?

Same case, different defendant. Also a bunch of extra stuff.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

tiistai posted:

I can begrudgingly accept "another thing coming" if it's used alone, but "if you think x, you've got another thing coming" just makes absolutely no semantic sense to me. It's no better than "I could care less".

I think it makes sense semantically. "If you think X" is basically being used to mean "if you expect/believe X," so "you've got another thing coming" means the reality is going to be something different from what you expect or believe it to be.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Fedule posted:

I would assume it refers to Apollo leaving the team to forge his own trail for the truth, and how the two trails meet back together in the fifth case.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
I couldn't decide whether to read the robots' voices in Haro's voice or BMO's. They're just too cute :kimchi:

Case 5 talk: I just realized how much the phantom's breakdown reminds me of the end of Terminator 2. They've both got the major villain flailing around while cycling through all their faces before dying (or, well, in the phantom's case, just getting shot). T2 is one of my favorite movies, I wonder if anyone on the Ace Attorney writing team was a fan.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Well Manicured Man posted:

I couldn't decide whether to read the robots' voices in Haro's voice or BMO's. They're just too cute :kimchi:

Case 5 talk: I just realized how much the phantom's breakdown reminds me of the end of Terminator 2. They've both got the major villain flailing around while cycling through all their faces before dying (or, well, in the phantom's case, just getting shot). T2 is one of my favorite movies, I wonder if anyone on the Ace Attorney writing team was a fan.

They should have cemented the reference by having Solomon Starbuck lowered into a vat of molten attorney's badges while flashing his thumbs-up pose.

CommonSensei
Apr 3, 2011

Fedule posted:

Based on the reveal by the end of Case 5 that Blackquill was trying to get Metis' murderer while simultaneously protecting Athena, and Athena was trying to save Blackquill from the false conviction of that murder, I interpreted it as being Athena and Blackquill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Finished the main game, so now I'm just waiting for the DLC case to be brought over.

I'll just say that this game is ridiculously anime, and that is fantastic. :allears:

I'd say that case-wise, it started off great (from "Candice Arme" pun to Juniper crushing hard on Apollo to Ted Tonate's breakdown) and then it just kept rolling and got better and better: Before I knew it, I was dealing with imaginary youkais and lucha libres, to mean school teachers (and students), to space astronauts and almost emotionless spies, and they were just topping themselves the entire time!

I'd say the third case has to be my favorite however. Believable culprit (by Ace Attorney standards), and I actually got him pinned at the start, but the case also had an equally believable red herring in Hugh O'Conner (and if Means's "the end justifies the means" shtick hadn't already made me suspicious of him, I certainly would have pegged Hugh as the murderer), and I digged how Newman radically changed from hypermasculine to ridiculously feminine, complete with new animations, once her secret was out. Also, Means's change from manipulative philosopher teacher to Greek warrior sadist teacher with hilarious blackboard writing was ridiculously funny, and his breakdown is among the best in the Ace Attorney series.

As for favorite character, I liked one of the characters from the fourth (and by proxy, fifth) case: Yuri Cosmos. He's so full of himself, and I could totally see him being a culprit, perhaps killing out of jealousy or something. Then the end came, and I got the whole picture, and it was hard for me to not feel sorry for him, since he tried to get both Starbuck and Terran out of the whole mess alive and it just blew up in his face in the worst possible way. :smith: Also, he has Power Stars! :allears:

• Locked thread