Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Don Tacorleone posted:

Google is kind of turning into assholes :/
As a brief update, Jasmine can be fixed by going into its settings in-app and changing the preferred quality from "auto" to a higher setting.

You can tell it's working because each video first tries to give you the 360p version, then quickly swaps over to the HD one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

cowofwar posted:

Anyone use iPads for reading scientific articles in PDF form? I've played with both and prefer the mini form factor but I worry that the smaller screen will get annoying over time.

Journal articles look great on a full size ipad but the text is just a bit too small/blurry on a regular mini. I think I might just go for the full size and enjoy the larger/easier to read text. You'll save yourself the hassle of trying to get a retina mini too.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

porktree posted:

Unrelated, I saw a custom KS license plate on my way home from work that read FEENIX.

Hey that's my license plate in GTAV ! :)

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.

porktree posted:

So, with the TMo dealio, the ipad cost is the same, ie a 16gb Air will be $629 - but the bonus is you can get some free data, TMo is not actually discounting the retail cost, right?

And, am I right in that unlike previous release days, the devices will be available when the store opens on Friday? I remember the ipad 2 being sold at 5pm.

Unrelated, I saw a custom KS license plate on my way home from work that read FEENIX.

You can only buy the SIM version from the store and the bonus is you can pay it off for $0 down and the price of the iPad over the course of 24 months.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

cowofwar posted:

Anyone use iPads for reading scientific articles in PDF form? I've played with both and prefer the mini form factor but I worry that the smaller screen will get annoying over time.

Things from the new epub reader on PMC look fine on my mini.

PDFs are hit and miss, depending on journal and formatting. It's relatively easy to zoom in on anything that needs to be viewed closer. The inconvenience of sometimes having to deal with that is vastly outweighed by the form factor and portability of the mini. I don't even take my laptop with me to conferences/ all day seminars, since my mini fits in my coat pocket and can take ask the notes I need.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Accipiter posted:

Hey guys.

So my mom is about to lose her job, and I got an email from her asking for "a 10" iPad for Christmas." From subsequently talking to her on the phone, it seems she's calling every tablet that exists an "iPad", but considering I bought her a Mac a few years ago and she loves it, I plan on getting her an actual iPad. I already have two myself. I want to get her a full-size iPad, since she doesn't have the best eyesight and a mini is a little too small.

Here's the thing: She absolutely does not need cellular or anything absolutely cutting-edge, and I don't want to spend a poo poo-ton of cash on something she's not going to even approach using to its limits. That said, I also want to get her a new unit with a warranty. The Apple refurb store prices a 3rd Gen iPad at $359 which isn't awful, but I'm wondering if anyone knows any place where I can get a better deal on an older yet still new unit.
I'd suggest a 4th gen, in which case it's looking like places are selling it for $450, just saw it on Walmart, Best Buy, and Target sites at least. You could wait and see how much more they get discounted as they get cleared out once the new ones are released, course the longer you wait the more you risk just missing out on one I guess.

101 posted:

Is there any reason for me to get the Air over the Mini?

I'm mainly going to be using it to read comics and browse Awful/Twitter.

I had a 3 which was just too heavy and sold it to get the Mini. I just couldn't enjoying using it for long with the lovely screen resolution, but I loved the form factor.

I was sold on the Mini but with the Air being so light I'm starting to consider it.

Would one be better than the other for Comixology/Comic Zeal? The Air has a larger screen but the Mini has higher DPI, I'm stumped :ohdear:
Bigger screen without being that much heavier basically. I wouldn't be concerned about DPI (the bigger screen is still drat sharp), just legibility of the comics due to size. Ultimately it's still got a bigger footprint though, so while weight may not be much of a factor now there's still that to think about.

Psyker posted:

What I do want to know is... The mini and the Air have the same specs this time around, correct?
That's the assumption for now, there hasn't been any tests (revealed) yet. So far we just know the iPhone runs at 1.3ghz while the iPad Air runs at 1.4, the iPad mini could possibly match either or be somewhere in between for all we know at this point.

Whitefish posted:

I'm considering buying an iPad for the first time as a laptop replacement. I do have a laptop already, but it's bulky and heavy, and is no good for using in lectures and seminars because it takes an age to load, and takes up too much space. Ideally what I want is something for viewing documents, and something that will allow me to do a bit of typing too. Not essay writing, but typing for the purposes of taking brief notes while reading a book. I'll keep my laptop for when I need to do serious computer work.

I'm wondering if people think an iPad would be appropriate for me? Obviously it's great for viewing documents, but what about word processing (I'd buy some sort of keyboard to go with it)? I know you can buy iPad covers that double as keyboards, but is it also possible to buy a standalone (but mobile) bluetooth keyboard to use with the iPad?

I really like the size of the iPad mini, but I guess that would be less appropriate for word processing, even if it is possible to buy a standalone keyboard to use with it.

Any advice much appreciated.
Notes while reading a book could be an issue cause the lack of split screen multitasking, like you can't have a doc viewer app open on one side and take notes in another app on the other side. But there are some apps that can do viewing+note taking at the same time, so it'll depend on what format your stuff is in, what apps are available, and if they'll work how you want to work.

But as far as typing up stuff in general, I'm fine with touch typing on the big iPad at this point (although code type stuff is still a pain), while the iPad mini feels really cramped like a netbook keyboard, but is better at thumb typing cause the smaller size. Like if I have to type a lot I don't mind the iPad, while with the mini I prefer using my Bluetooth keyboard when possible.

In both cases there's still an advantage with a BT keyboard cause the arrow key cursor control and the standard text editing shortcuts, plus it allows more stuff to be shown on screen without the software keyboard in the way. On the other hand it can kinda feel awkward sometimes if you have to do stuff other than type cause there's no mouse, like you type up stuff, then have to reach for the screen for some random function.

Whitefish
May 31, 2005

After the old god has been assassinated, I am ready to rule the waves.

japtor posted:

Notes while reading a book could be an issue cause the lack of split screen multitasking, like you can't have a doc viewer app open on one side and take notes in another app on the other side. But there are some apps that can do viewing+note taking at the same time, so it'll depend on what format your stuff is in, what apps are available, and if they'll work how you want to work.

But as far as typing up stuff in general, I'm fine with touch typing on the big iPad at this point (although code type stuff is still a pain), while the iPad mini feels really cramped like a netbook keyboard, but is better at thumb typing cause the smaller size. Like if I have to type a lot I don't mind the iPad, while with the mini I prefer using my Bluetooth keyboard when possible.

In both cases there's still an advantage with a BT keyboard cause the arrow key cursor control and the standard text editing shortcuts, plus it allows more stuff to be shown on screen without the software keyboard in the way. On the other hand it can kinda feel awkward sometimes if you have to do stuff other than type cause there's no mouse, like you type up stuff, then have to reach for the screen for some random function.

Cool, thanks, this is really helpful (thanks too to the other person who recommended a BT keyboard). When I say 'making notes from a book' I mean making notes from an actual physical book, so lack of split screen won't be an issue.

I think I'll get the iPad Air in that case, play with it for a bit without buying an additional keyboard, and then decide what to do next.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Anyone know yet if Apple will allow collect-in-store for online orders in the UK? I'm ordering mine online after midnight tonight but I'll be in town on Friday anyway so it'd be neat to pick it up without a risk of them being sold out.

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!

Question Mark Mound posted:

Anyone know yet if Apple will allow collect-in-store for online orders in the UK? I'm ordering mine online after midnight tonight but I'll be in town on Friday anyway so it'd be neat to pick it up without a risk of them being sold out.

I'm planning on going into John Lewis tomorrow at 8AM. I'd prefer to buy from Apple as I prefer the store but the two year warranty that JL offers is too good to pass up.

I only buy Applecare for my Macs.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Eboracum posted:

I'm planning on going into John Lewis tomorrow at 8AM. I'd prefer to buy from Apple as I prefer the store but the two year warranty that JL offers is too good to pass up.

I only buy Applecare for my Macs.

My credit card covers my iPad for an extra year on top of the 1st year of AppleCare. Taking advantage of that tomorrow.

dotMyth
Oct 23, 2013
Just called my local Walmart. Was told they "expect to have them" and will begin selling at 9:00 AM. DUMB but OK.

I'm gonna call back tonight at midnight to see what's up.

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!
Guy from work was at Wal-Mart last night and said he saw 7-16Gb and 2-32's in the case last night, they wouldn't sell yet. I'll stop by there today and see what time they'll start selling so I can be there at midnight or early tomorrow.

Also saw the FAA is going allow readers and games to be used on flights starting now and tablets by the end of the year most likely.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

A lot of Walmarts are switching to 24 hour now beginning tonight/tomorrow so check up on that too.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
24 hour Walmart or not, I wouldn't expect them to go on sake before 8 or 9. No way Apple is going to let a 3rd Party scoop them on their own product.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Feenix posted:

24 hour Walmart or not, I wouldn't expect them to go on sake before 8 or 9. No way Apple is going to let a 3rd Party scoop them on their own product.

They've done this in the past. Apple does not really give a poo poo who is selling their products, as long as they are selling.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

FlashBangBob posted:

They've done this in the past. Apple does not really give a poo poo who is selling their products, as long as they are selling.

Oh really I thought I remembered it all being 8 am in the related time zones. My bad if I'm wrong.

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!
I know for the 2 or 3 they advertised it as a midnight sale, havent seen anything like that this time.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I have an iPad 3 with unlimited data via ATT. If I get a new one from the Apple store can I roll that over, or do I have to buy from the ATT store (like I did with the 3) to keep unlimited data?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You should be able to just swap the SIM into the new one, but maybe I'm wrong about that.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?
I got the unlimited plan when I bought my iPad 1. When I bought my iPad 3, all they did was swap it over. The iPad 1 v 3 used different SIMs, and they were able to switch SIMs at the Apple Store and keep my plan. That was my biggest concern when I got my new iPad.

On a similar note, I had a minor panic attack yesterday. I had decided to cancel my credit card and get a new one, but I forgot to change it on my iPad data plan. :doh: Well, I got an e-mail that they were unable to charge my card, obviously. The e-mail also said I could update the info and add a plan. I was so scared that I would be unable to get the unlimited plan back.

I didn't have my iPad with me, so I had to wait until lunch to go home and check, so had about an hour and a half of pure nervousness. When I got home, I immediately picked up my iPad, and to my relief, I was able to keep my unlimited plan. :neckbeard:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Endless Mike posted:

You should be able to just swap the SIM into the new one, but maybe I'm wrong about that.

Ohh thats a really good question. I have a Cellular Mini. I'm getting an Air. I don't need BOTH to be activated and on Cellular. I hope I can just put my Mini's SIM in my iPad Air and be good to go.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

mongol posted:

I got the unlimited plan when I bought my iPad 1. When I bought my iPad 3, all they did was swap it over. The iPad 1 v 3 used different SIMs, and they were able to switch SIMs at the Apple Store and keep my plan. That was my biggest concern when I got my new iPad.
Ah, I forgot about SIM sizes. The iPad 3 uses micro-SIM and the Air uses nano-SIM. Still, this can be solved by either cutting the micro-SIM to size or going to an AT&T or Apple store and switching the SIM associated with your account.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?

Endless Mike posted:

Ah, I forgot about SIM sizes. The iPad 3 uses micro-SIM and the Air uses nano-SIM. Still, this can be solved by either cutting the micro-SIM to size or going to an AT&T or Apple store and switching the SIM associated with your account.

I wouldn't recommend cutting the SIM. If you go to either store, they should be able to help you out.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

On anything remotely modern, cutting the SIM should be fine if you're careful. Worst case, you have to go to the store, anyway.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Cutting the sim is easy and there are templates you can find online. It takes a minute or two.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Any ATT corporate store can do a SIM card swap and allow you to keep your unlimited plan. No fees.

FYI ATT has a promotion where you can get a $100 credit if you renew the plan with a 2 year contract. If you have a grandfathered plan with unlimited data, don't do this as you will lose your unlimited (system works differently with iPads is all). Just get the SIM card swapped and stay month to month.

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!
So I stopped by and asked at my local Wally World, "Can I get one at midnight or do I have to wait til later in the morning?" None of them knew, but said that the night crew just usually stocks and doesn't pay attention to customers. I figure I'll go in at 7:00am when the day shift gets there, considering they are all locked up in a cabinet in the back.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

Any ATT corporate store can do a SIM card swap and allow you to keep your unlimited plan. No fees.

I will probably do this. Find an Air somewhere and go to the store for a swap. I figure it will be pretty easy to find a 128 LTE model, unlike the danged gold iPhones.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I'm really hoping the information about adequate supplies this time around is accurate. I had to stand in line for my iPad 2, and it was a miserable experience. I'll be busy tomorrow morning, so I'm crossing my fingers that I'll just be able to walk into a Best Buy or Walmart tomorrow afternoon and pick up the size and color that I'm looking for.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

picked up 64GB wifi Air and a red cover. felt nice in the store, even with the bulky anti-theft tether.

worst case scenario I can sell and get a retina mini. but this feels nice.

EDIT: holy poo poo its lighter than my workmates mini. this is definitely fine weight wise, and the size isnt as large a factor in terms of overall volume.

Laserface fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Nov 1, 2013

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Ugh, I'm looking at home automation stuff and wishing I had more spending money/owned a home.

I just want to build a tiny efficient home designed to be controlled by my iPad. I'm sure that would be completely inexpensive, right?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Yoshifan823 posted:

Ugh, I'm looking at home automation stuff and wishing I had more spending money/owned a home.

I just want to build a tiny efficient home designed to be controlled by my iPad. I'm sure that would be completely inexpensive, right?

It's less expensive than you think, but still kind of a luxury expense...

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Laserface posted:

picked up 64GB wifi Air and a red cover. felt nice in the store, even with the bulky anti-theft tether.

worst case scenario I can sell and get a retina mini. but this feels nice.

EDIT: holy poo poo its lighter than my workmates mini. this is definitely fine weight wise, and the size isnt as large a factor in terms of overall volume.

How? What on earth sort of case is on their Mini?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

mediaphage posted:

How? What on earth sort of case is on their Mini?

none?

Maybe its not, but it feels like it is.The size was what I was worried about the most, and the size is fine - the slimmer bezels are great. Plus its way lighter than my iPad2.

what are some good apps to show off the retina display? NASA photo of the day isnt hi-res enough.

SlightButSteady
Sep 13, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah, I picked up the 64 because I was sick of the limiting 16GB on my 3rd gen.

But the biggest surprise is the weight, for sure. Considering I have a few ebooks with colour images and graphics, this is seriously going to be replacing my Kindle I think.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Duckman2008 posted:

Since this has gotten out of hand: I have the unlimited AT&T plan and there's no need to switch, cut or even touch any SIM cards. You simply activate the new iPad with your account credentials in the cellular settings, and it'll ask you whether you want to transfer your existing contract to this iPad. The end.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Guys I just want it to be 12:01 so I know what's up. Ya know????

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

flavor posted:

Since this has gotten out of hand: I have the unlimited AT&T plan and there's no need to switch, cut or even touch any SIM cards. You simply activate the new iPad with your account credentials in the cellular settings, and it'll ask you whether you want to transfer your existing contract to this iPad. The end.

That is so dang simple. It did not used to be that way. I remember the hell of upgrading early iPhones and iPads and this just seems unreal.

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!
That T-Mobile offer seems extremely convenient and makes me wonder why others haven't done that. Built-in financing, free data for when you happen to not be on Wi-Fi? Seems like a no brainer to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Ultimate Mango posted:

That is so dang simple. It did not used to be that way. I remember the hell of upgrading early iPhones and iPads and this just seems unreal.

I don't know when they started having this, because from the 1 two the 2 I switched out the SIMS and then did the same to the 3, with AT&T giving me some weird status messages after that switch to the effect I was using the wrong card or similar. Then I discovered that you can just move the account over.

And for the phones it's also been like this for a while now.

Psyker posted:

That T-Mobile offer seems extremely convenient and makes me wonder why others haven't done that. Built-in financing, free data for when you happen to not be on Wi-Fi? Seems like a no brainer to me.

If I buy the new mini through Apple and pay it in full, can I still get the free data contract? I don't want to go through some non-Apple store and I also don't want to deal with monthly payments. If yes, I'll get the T-Mobile LTE+wifi mini.

Update: Looks like the Air will be my very first in-store pickup today.

Mr. Smile Face Hat fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Nov 1, 2013