Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Desperate Character posted:

So for Pumpkaboo IV breeding, do eggs take on the size of the mother or the size of the father?

The mother's size is passed down. I still have 5-6 5iv (and a box full of 4iv) supersize Pumpkaboos up for grabs, though. Hit me up in the trading thread, #pokegoons channel, or over PMs if you want to skip breeding. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I feel like this is a dark path I am going to go down. Sadly it looks like the GBA games are pretty expensive used. Amazon list it for 300 dollars.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

cheesetriangles posted:

I feel like this is a dark path I am going to go down. Sadly it looks like the GBA games are pretty expensive used. Amazon list it for 300 dollars.

You can get them on Ebay for like a couple bucks at most (make sure it isn't a fake, though).

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
I have a giant box of 4 IV Eevees mostly Timid. If anyone wants one PM me and it's yours. I don't need anything, but if you have 4 IV starters (not froakie or charmander) I'd be interested. I'm also looking for the following Vivillion: Garden, Savannah, Sun, Sandstorm, Monsoon, Jungle, Archepalgo, and Ocean

purple prime
Aug 4, 2005
So if I want to get in on this friend safari thing do I just put my code in here?

1993-7027-7989

Solartide
Oct 3, 2013

by XyloJW
Mega Venusaur is so good!

I bred a 5 IV Gengar, he's just rotting in my Battle Box, because I'm bringing Venusaur to every fight.

Consider this.

Enemy team consisted of Rotom-W, Talonflame, Garchomp. You know this guy or girl is in here to win, he's not loving around.

Talonflame came at me with Brave Bird, but I switched to Aegislash to tank the hit and riposte with my Rocky Helm. Third time they caught on and didn't use Brave Bird against my Venasaur and just used Flare Blitz. But I expected that and just soaked it with Synthesis. Talonflame dies to Leech Seed and Toxic.

Garchomp was sent out, and yes, Earthquake was pretty devastating. But I got a Leech Seed out and just tanked it out with Synthesis/Giga Drain.

Their last guy was Rotom-W against my Venusaur who was at full hp. They forfeited.

y_3
Aug 18, 2010

purple prime posted:

So if I want to get in on this friend safari thing do I just put my code in here?

1993-7027-7989

Post it in the trading thread!

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

Schubalts posted:

The mother's size is passed down. I still have 5-6 5iv (and a box full of 4iv) supersize Pumpkaboos up for grabs, though. Hit me up in the trading thread, #pokegoons channel, or over PMs if you want to skip breeding. :v:

Awesome! I'll post in the trade thread then. Guess I have 20 Pumpkaboos going to wonder trade now :spooky:

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

So I'm thinking of playing some 3-pokemon singles (That's the online ranked format right?). I was wondering if any goons had suggestions for good teammates for a Gyarados? I'm currently running a bulky dragon-dance set, as follows:

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Jolly
Intimidate
252 Atk / 204 Speed / 48 HP / 4 Def
-Waterfall
-Earthquake
-Substitute
-Dragon Dance

I'm guessing that some kind of answer to the 4x Electric weakness will be needed. Maybe some kind of cleric/support as well? I understand that I'll probably get a better grasp for things from playing matches but I just want some suggestions as to where I can start looking for teammate options. Any help would be appreciated.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.

BattleCake posted:

So I'm thinking of playing some 3-pokemon singles (That's the online ranked format right?). I was wondering if any goons had suggestions for good teammates for a Gyarados? I'm currently running a bulky dragon-dance set, as follows:

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Jolly
Intimidate
252 Atk / 204 Speed / 48 HP / 4 Def
-Waterfall
-Earthquake
-Substitute
-Dragon Dance

I'm guessing that some kind of answer to the 4x Electric weakness will be needed. Maybe some kind of cleric/support as well? I understand that I'll probably get a better grasp for things from playing matches but I just want some suggestions as to where I can start looking for teammate options. Any help would be appreciated.

Jolteon would be a great choice for a teammate! Gives you a special attacker and it eats electric attacks and turns them into a boost. Something like Thunderbolt/Shadow ball/Volt Switch/Protect is great. Protect scouts and since you're Jolteon you're fast enough to Volt Switch out on nearly everything to something else on your team that's better suited to the situation (Earthquakes don't do poo poo to Gyara! Another reason they work so well together!)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Solartide posted:

Mega Venusaur is so good!

I bred a 5 IV Gengar, he's just rotting in my Battle Box, because I'm bringing Venusaur to every fight.

Consider this.

Enemy team consisted of Rotom-W, Talonflame, Garchomp. You know this guy or girl is in here to win, he's not loving around.

Talonflame came at me with Brave Bird, but I switched to Aegislash to tank the hit and riposte with my Rocky Helm. Third time they caught on and didn't use Brave Bird against my Venasaur and just used Flare Blitz. But I expected that and just soaked it with Synthesis. Talonflame dies to Leech Seed and Toxic.

Garchomp was sent out, and yes, Earthquake was pretty devastating. But I got a Leech Seed out and just tanked it out with Synthesis/Giga Drain.

Their last guy was Rotom-W against my Venusaur who was at full hp. They forfeited.

How did you get Giga Drain on Venusaur? I thought it was a move tutor in BW2.

Solartide
Oct 3, 2013

by XyloJW

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

How did you get Giga Drain on Venusaur? I thought it was a move tutor in BW2.

I bred it with Amoongus.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Solartide posted:

I bred it with Amoongus.

I had mine on a lotad. Yeah that wasn't a clusterfuck or anything.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I've been getting all sorts of stuff off GTS, writing in poke's that aren't in my pokedex! About the only things I haven't been able to get are things that are definitely inaccessible until events happen. JPN traders seem fantastically generous too.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Any suggestions for this doubles team?

Politoed@Damp Rock
Modest - Drizzle
Scald
Ice Beam
Protect
Rain Dance

Ludicolo@Sitrus Berry
Calm - Rain Dish
Surf
Giga Drain
Leech Seed
Substitute

Toxicroak@Black Sludge
Impish - Dry Skin
Drain Punch
Ice Punch
Toxic
Substitute

Heliolisk@Lum Berry
Timid - Dry Skin
Thunder
Electrify
Toxic
Substitute

Quagsire@Leftovers
Relaxed - Unaware
Scald
Toxic
Swagger
Recover

Goodra@Assault Vest
Mild - Hydration
Dragon Pulse
Thunderbolt
Sludge Bomb
Infestation

My setup would generally be Politoed, Ludicolo, Goodra and then one of Toxicroak/Heliolisk/Quagsire depending on the opponent's team. Politoed has rain dance so I don't have to waste turns switching if the other guy leads with a Mega Char-Y or Mega Ttar. Right now I pretty much am guaranteed to lose if Politoed dies, but honestly without a damp rock I'd probably still lose even with a backup rain dancer.

The Mechanical Hand
May 21, 2007

as this blessed evening falls don't forget the alcohol

5er posted:

I've been getting all sorts of stuff off GTS, writing in poke's that aren't in my pokedex! About the only things I haven't been able to get are things that are definitely inaccessible until events happen. JPN traders seem fantastically generous too.

I've noticed it too. Got a Japanese ditto off of Wonder Trade, and while this is hardly generous I got a 4 perfect IV Gastly from a Japanese trader which made breeding my 5 IV gastly happen the next day via breeding.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I think a Steel type would probably break your team in half. Heliolisk has a pretty decent movepool, so you could always put more stuff on him for coverage. Mine has Grass Knot, Thunderbolt, Surf and Dark Pulse.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

How does a Greninja learn Mat Block? Also what is a good EV to train for a Greninja? Finally got a 5IV with hp, speed, sp atk, sp def, def and protean.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
While injecting modified pokes into the game hasn't been quite figured out yet, sniffing packets to see the IVs of the pokemon you're about to be wonder traded before you even see their trainer card pop up makes wonder trading a bit more fun.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

cheesetriangles posted:

How does a Greninja learn Mat Block? Also what is a good EV to train for a Greninja? Finally got a 5IV with hp, speed, sp atk, sp def, def and protean.

You should be able to get it from the move reminder.

Nessa posted:

I think a Steel type would probably break your team in half. Heliolisk has a pretty decent movepool, so you could always put more stuff on him for coverage. Mine has Grass Knot, Thunderbolt, Surf and Dark Pulse.

I figured that toxicroak and a potential burn from scald would eventually be able to wear down a steel type.

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

cheesetriangles posted:

Always look at the Used section on Amazon. You can usually get them in Very Good condition for like $40.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

astr0man posted:

I figured that toxicroak and a potential burn from scald would eventually be able to wear down a steel type.

Yeah, Toxicroak would probably be able to take one, with Drain Punch. Unless it's Scizor. Then you'd pretty much have to hope for a Burn.

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009

astr0man posted:

You should be able to get it from the move reminder.

If you're relying on moves like scald or discharge it's generally better to not run toxic. This doesn't apply to steel types of course. I'm just saying status moves get worse the more of them you have and there's potentially better moves to put in place of some of them. Like for toxicroak swords dance or sucker punch is often going to be more useful to you.

Nickname Pending
Jan 2, 2008

I learned how to play beer pong from the Prince of Uganda at a university party.
So I haven't really kept up with this thread for the past 3000 posts or so and don't really have the time to catch up; did I miss any new information or anything?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Hey, so I've heard that the type-changing abilities (Aerialate, Glaciate, Pixilate) apparently grant a 30% power boost to affected moves on top of everything else (STAB, items, etc). Any confirmation on this?

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Cause all the cool kids are doing it:

StrongBad the Hawlucha - Was there to hold the Amulet Coin and smack the occasional part Dark-type in the face.

Glamdring the Aegislash - Took care of most of Bjork Diantha's team. Mega-Gardevoir went down in one Iron Head.

Pikablu the Azumarill - Is a beast, even with Thick Fat instead of Huge Power. Kicked the crap out of the dragon guy and fire lady. She later owned the whole show when I stupidly checked out the Battle Maison for a few minutes.

Scarlet the Delfox - Blaze Bursted most everything on Ren Fair guy's team to death...

Elvis the Tyrantrum - ...and anything left standing got Earthquaked.

Wally the Venusaur - Rocked Black Sludge instead of the Mega Stone and it saved his flowery butt. New Wave water guy's Gyarados stupidly Dragon Danced for just the right amount of turns for Wally to Petal Blizzard him to death.

Then a bunch of crazy stuff happened including, if I am not mistaken, a 3,000 year old hobo hugging a flower-thing?

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

As someone who is only really familiar with gen 1, how can I tell if a Pokemon is shiny or not? I know they are a different colour, but as i don't know what colour they normally are is there another visual or audio clue?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Rahonavis posted:

Wally the Venusaur

I really, really approve of this name :allears:

Frankston posted:

As someone who is only really familiar with gen 1, how can I tell if a Pokemon is shiny or not? I know they are a different colour, but as i don't know what colour they normally are is there another visual or audio clue?

Yeah, there's a whole audio cue and sparkles song and dance when it comes out in battle/gets encountered so that everybody can be extra sure it's Shiny.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Frankston posted:

When they pop up sparkles will pop out of it and if you catch it there will be a red star indicating that it's shiny.

If you don't know what a particular Pokemon normally looks like take a quick look at it on Bulbapedia or something. Some shinies look very different colorwise, while others look almost the same.

Also don't be fooled by Flabebes :v:

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Frankston posted:

And at least with pre-Gen 6 mons, you can just look up the sprite on Bulbapedia/Serebii/whatever if you wanna be extra certain.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Macaluso posted:

Also don't be fooled by Flabebes :v:

Or the male and female hippos.

Immer
Aug 11, 2009

It's what they were born for.
They serve no other purpose in life.
Keep doing what you're doing.
Is there any way to breed Superpower onto Scyther and/or Pain Split onto Rotom respectively? Or do I have to wait for Pokemon Z for move tutors?

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
What's the best place to level post-game?

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

sword_man.gif posted:

That's where the Fedora is, so, uh, yeah? Jeez!

e: In seriousness, no, it's about the same poo poo as everywhere else if you're a male, because dudes are only allowed to wear either pants + t-shirt or pants + t-shirt/overshirt combo.

You can't even get shorts as a guy.

The guys have shorts. I think they are listed as cargo and come in green and brown. Just make sure you aren't wearing the boots. The shorts are more in the European fashion, about half way down the calf. The boots end up covering them.

Pyrocat
Oct 31, 2006
not a furry
I also carved a pokemon themed jack-o-lantern :blush:

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
My Halloween plan of using Shedinja online is not going well, probably the worst/most embarrassing was Shadow Sneaking something and getting killed by its Rocky Helmet. On the plus side, having Shedinja in my team preview means that so far everyone has been too afraid of bring their Azumarill into battle and getting walled.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

What with how easy it is to get xp now, and all the places you can catch quite high level Pseudolegendaries, I've ended up with a lot. An extra Goodra, two Salamences, four Hydreigons, and an extra Garchomp. Also have another Goomy and Gabite on the go. Oh, and the three Dragoniteers. I think Kalos is probably the part on the map they mark "here be dragons" because good lord there's a ton of them.

Oh, and I finally beat all the Sky Trainers. Wasn't going to bother but then I saw there was a medal for it. Also, you can use Fly in Sky Battles. I guess they fly up extra high. Carnivine is pretty funny too.

Pyrocat posted:

That's awesome.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Pyrocat posted:

gently caress yeah Gengar rules

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Karnegal posted:

What's the best place to level post-game?

3* restaurant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5er
Jun 1, 2000

The Mechanical Hand posted:

I've noticed it too. Got a Japanese ditto off of Wonder Trade, and while this is hardly generous I got a 4 perfect IV Gastly from a Japanese trader which made breeding my 5 IV gastly happen the next day via breeding.

I got given a really good IV'd Trevenant from Japan off Wonder Trade. It was even in its first form, which I have no idea what it is called because it was in katakana, so it evolved on arrival. I've made it a rule to wonder-trade late-evening to increase the odds of getting stuff from awesome JPN people.

• Locked thread