Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

New Leaf posted:

It also has some of the best luck I've ever seen in some rare cases. On mine it cleared a vertical row of 4 to the top of the screen and left a single yellow tile open below, and it just so happened that the next 4 tiles to spawn were also yellow and it demolished me. Why can't I ever be that lucky? :bang:

You are but you don't remember it when it happens to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

If I have a 2 level purple Venom, and I win the black/purple Venom from the Red event, how will that transfer if I train the new one with the old one? One level? Both levels?

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
You will win two Venoms, one black and one purple, not one with both equipped.

To train a cover with a mixed-power cover, you'll have to build the latter yourself. Doing so is left as an exercise for the reader with too many Hawkeye Classics in the cache.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I said it a while ago and I'm sticking with my belief: Grey Magneto and Storm Classic are a loving powerhouse together; Magneto's countdown tile is a small timer for a big amount of damage and his purple ability folds so neatly into Storm's blue ability. I want to build up a heavy hitter that does black damage to finish my team, but I sold the venom I'd pumped about twenty covers into before the big update that changed how skills work hit and since then I've seen a total of two Venoms :(

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
I think for storm modern 5/5/3 might be the way to go but mine is 4/5/4 and I am building another one up to 3/3/3 to decide what I want to do with her. But 3/5/5 also will have uses for get rid of all the location tiles get some matches pop the black and make a match and do an additional 100+ damage while also preventing the enemy from making them special tiles because they are already your strike tiles. Also the 5 red to do 18 damage per location tile at lvl 24 is pretty sweet. That and the extra damage from cascading. My lvl 34 iron man with 5 in the blaster only deal 665 damage for 10 red.

Fallorn fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 31, 2013

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Fallorn posted:

You are but you don't remember it when it happens to you.

Yeah, once or twice the game has just let me demolish the enemy team without them even getting a turn. And then sometimes it gives me enough Reds to have Thor hit everyone in the head, charge his lightning, and charge his other lightning. Always nice when that happens.

So am I right in thinking I don't want to train Venom's Snare to level 5? Seems it'd be better to just stun one enemy for less AP. One day he'll devour somebody. Almost had a baddy with it yesterday but Venom still doesn't have enough health right now so he got whacked.

Also, managed to get Iron Man to level 50, and found another Red Thor, so he can start levelling up again.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Thundercracker posted:

How well do you have to place in the Dark Avengers tournament to get a prize once it's done? I'm about 9-10 place in my bracket right now. Is it just a Moonstone prize?

Top 1-2 get a Classic Spiderman, below that you're getting Bag-Man. Ranks 3-10 get all three skills of Bag-Man. If you drop to 51-100 you'll get a Purple + Black Venom.

The trend seems to be the rewards are useful in the next arena, so I'd guess next week is a Spider-Man themed one and Bag-Man may be useful.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Just had another realization as to how Captain America is sneaky-powerful. His damage numbers aren't spectacular when not event-buffed, but his utility...

Red and Blue are both directly placeable, cancel out any other tile at Level 5, and return most of their AP three turns later, making them ideal tools for lockdown + damage/stun. Or you can drop them in a gap in a line / L / T, get the damage/stun and an instant critical.

Yellow? Three protect tiles for 19 AP doesn't seem that great. Until the little light goes on -- three _directly placeable_ yellow protect tiles. Which means just about anywhere that there are two yellows close to each other, wham! instant Critical and board churn.

:patriot:

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

The problem with sneaky-powerful Captain America is that he's really only sneaky-powerful when you hit L5 Red/Blue, and 19 yellow AP take a long time to gather and are generally better spent elsewhere (like say, doing 1000 damage with Thor). Maybe I'm just bitter that I'm stuck at 2-2-2 with no sign of maxing R/B.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Oh hey! New feature, Lightning Rounds.

These are 90 - 120 minute PvP tournaments where players have a specific villain shoved onto their teams (first time around, The Hood) and that villain gets pushed hard in the Recruit bin for the duration.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

delfin posted:

Yellow? Three protect tiles for 19 AP doesn't seem that great. Until the little light goes on -- three _directly placeable_ yellow protect tiles. Which means just about anywhere that there are two yellows close to each other, wham! instant Critical and board churn.
:patriot:
Grey Magneto, at level 3 in his purple skill, only takes ten purple to be able to directly place four blue squares. Which is enough to set up any move you want, really, and when I get him to level 5, it'll only take 9 purple to place 5 tiles. He also has a blue ability that, at level 1, costs 6 and makes a one turn countdown on a random blue that destroys the surrounding nine squares, and his red currently for me at level 2, costs 9 to create a 2 turn countdown timer that deals 495 to a target. He fucks with boards like nobody's business.

Reading through all the skills, I think if I could level up The Hood at all (or even roll him at all) he'd be my number 3 spot but I've never seen him ever.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Whalley posted:

Grey Magneto, at level 3 in his purple skill, only takes ten purple to be able to directly place four blue squares. Which is enough to set up any move you want, really, and when I get him to level 5, it'll only take 9 purple to place 5 tiles. He also has a blue ability that, at level 1, costs 6 and makes a one turn countdown on a random blue that destroys the surrounding nine squares, and his red currently for me at level 2, costs 9 to create a 2 turn countdown timer that deals 495 to a target. He fucks with boards like nobody's business.

True enough. I'd dearly love a Grey Magneto but have but one blue cover and no ready way of getting any more. Cap I got and leveled pretty much for free.

EDIT: Aw YES. Speaking of "pretty much for free":

delfin fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 31, 2013

Kravdraa
Jun 10, 2002

delfin posted:

Oh hey! New feature, Lightning Rounds.

These are 90 - 120 minute PvP tournaments where players have a specific villain shoved onto their teams (first time around, The Hood) and that villain gets pushed hard in the Recruit bin for the duration.

I love how often they add new stuff. I had just logged on, looking for random prologue rewards that I hadn't ground out yet, then bam - New Thing.

Sadly I made my move too soon, got knocked from #18 to like #200...

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Kravdraa posted:

I love how often they add new stuff. I had just logged on, looking for random prologue rewards that I hadn't ground out yet, then bam - New Thing.

Sadly I made my move too soon, got knocked from #18 to like #200...

Yeah, this game would be awful without the constant events and stuff. It feels like they're trying to follow the entirety of the PAD model.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Emron posted:

Yeah, this game would be awful without the constant events and stuff. It feels like they're trying to follow the entirety of the PAD model.

Well this company also does the marvel Facebook game. It was always doing events. The problem was you always needed the newest hero to be able to get all the rewards. And you have to spend red ISO to do missions. The way to get red ISO was to have friends gift it to you or spend money.

They went too fast for me. If you didn't finish the mission in a week, then you didn't get the newest hero, so then you need to spend money in order to be the next week's mission.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011
They're throwing in extra currency when you buy stuff in the cash shop, too. I've been pretty happy with this, might toss them some cash.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Russad posted:

They're throwing in extra currency when you buy stuff in the cash shop, too. I've been pretty happy with this, might toss them some cash.

I would recommend buy more slots until you got at least 20 slots. Rolling for more heroes is tempting and I wasted my money on it. But if you don't have slot then you just end up selling heroes. I have be getting heroic tokens pretty regularly but I have unfortunately had to sell some 2 stars heroes because I don't got room.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Crap, I missed the Hood's round; guess he'll stay in the bench. Doom's up next, though, and I am ready :getin:

e: VVVVV Hood's round finished a few minutes ago. Doom's starting in half an hour or so. VVVVV

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
Should I be seeing lightning rounds right now?

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I got to the hood lightning round in the last 8 minutes. Beat up 2 newbies and got total rewards of 490 iso and a standard recruit token. I live with these lightning rounds.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Shwqa posted:

I got to the hood lightning round in the last 8 minutes. Beat up 2 newbies and got total rewards of 490 iso and a standard recruit token. I live with these lightning rounds.

I don't know; I was looking forward to level my 3-star characters, but I'm seeing a lot of crazy-high level dudes out there. At this rate I don't think I'll reach the top 25.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

seravid posted:

I don't know; I was looking forward to level my 3-star characters, but I'm seeing a lot of crazy-high level dudes out there. At this rate I don't think I'll reach the top 25.

Yea, it doesn't appear to be bracketed at all. I just saw someone with a level 100 Grey Suit Widow. I guess I'll just take the recruit tokens and ISO for leveling.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Welp, top 100.000

This looked interesting but at this point it's just an easy way for high rollers to get 3-star covers so they can steamroll us even faster in the next round.

chrisf
Feb 29, 2008

Argh, 2nd place with <1 minute left in hood lightning, take a 14 point fight to close out, and finish top 8. Wish you could see final leaderboards, cause when I looked at it with 2 minutes left, the guy in 3rd was 15 points behind me. At least I got the two hood skills that matter.

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

Still, it's pretty easy to get 50 points you need for a Recruit Token plus the Iso bonus you get for top 100,000.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
That's pretty much all I want from lightning. Despite Unstable ISO grind heroics I'm not a big player, so I want ISO, Token, ISO, Token, lots of ISO from fighting small fries, ISO at the end and I'm a happy guy.

Though if they do a Magneto lightning round it WILL be tempting to take a crack at the machine to try to skill mine up.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The Lightning Round recruit page now features Doctor Doom. Anyone tried him out? His abilities seem kind of lacklusture.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I've got a pretty decently skilled Magneto Now, is he really that great? I was thinking he might go well with Cap.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

He's really nice. He's got abilities to mix up a board and set up ridiculous blue combos. I dont really use his red much because it's a 3 turn timer and I usually have heavier red hitters anyway, but his blue and purple powers are super fun. He's also reasonably beefy unlike other board changers. (Storm I'm looking at you!)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

His Blue can be upgraded to the point where it destroys literally the entire board, the Purple at level 1 regularly gets you a free move/critical combination and at level 5 gives you enough tiles to make one yourself, and his Red goes from a 3-turn countdown damager to a 1-turn miniature blue with direct damage component. He's pretty sweet.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I'll give him a try, sounds like he's pretty good for PvE.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

The Lightning Round recruit page now features Doctor Doom. Anyone tried him out? His abilities seem kind of lacklusture.

Starting at 950HP, he should be pretty beefy once leveled. His black power is expensive but does 34x2 damage, and that's at level 1.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I have a maxxed out Doom, and his attack squares maxed out hit for like 1.2 k each round, and his blue ability helps make sure you can use it over and over. It's not cheap, but it packs a wallop once you get it working.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lightning round is up and oh god why are there so many people with only doom and some level 1 people on board. :getin:

edit: I just saw a level 40 Hawkeye. :stare:

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Nov 1, 2013

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
The trick is to massage it just right so that I land where I want to -- in the 26 - 50 range for the two Heroic tokens.

Those got me a Bag-Man Switcheroo (whoopee) and a Magneto Now! Purple, so yay!

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Does Classic Storm's green block breaking skill factor in the 12 green AP it costs to activate it when calculating how many random blocks to blow up?

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

Eddain posted:

Does Classic Storm's green block breaking skill factor in the 12 green AP it costs to activate it when calculating how many random blocks to blow up?

Yes, so at level 1 it shatters a minimum of 8 tiles.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Haha, killing five or six teams of level 1s in the lightning round right at the beginning is the easiest iso/rank ever.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Emron posted:

Haha, killing five or six teams of level 1s in the lightning round right at the beginning is the easiest iso/rank ever.

I just went up against a guy that had only a level 15 Hood, no other heroes at all. How is that even possible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Same here. I guess it's people who havent even done the lightning round yet, so have no team assigned?