Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT posted:

I posted about this album a week month or two ago, it's got the Yoshika polka. Prepare yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkeOhBoW2Ww

While it's very nice, I don't actually hear it as a remix of a Touhou song. Apparently it's supposed to be Necrofantasia? :confused: I don't hear it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

Justus posted:

You're getting your Central European dances mixed up I think. Polka is the one with a steady rhythm and the "oom-pah"s. This sounds more like a Czardas. </classical violin nerd>
Sorry, I should have been more clear. The post you quoted is indeed a Czardas, and I posted earlier about the polka song: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?goto=post&postid=418617903

Kheldragar posted:

While it's very nice, I don't actually hear it as a remix of a Touhou song. Apparently it's supposed to be Necrofantasia? :confused: I don't hear it.
I don't know about Necrofantasia, but you can definitely hear Legend of Tohno (compare http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=P4dnkdikJMw#t=25)

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Machikado-Mapoze has another classical album out :syoon:

Oh hey, Terajin did the artwork for that. He's someone I don't think ever gets posted in this thread. Too bad, because his art is super adorable.

http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=39196158

http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=39126662

http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=35462957

http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=31462145

http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=21646133

http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=28740802

raocow
Apr 23, 2007

Keen Dreams

Please give me a chance to be a better person. -Willhart
Man, these are just adorable.

At least until Meiling just decided to go buff when fighting a giant robot.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

raocow posted:

At least until Meiling just decided to go buff when fighting a giant robot.

Huh, I honestly didn't notice that. I swear she was wearing pants in Terajin's other pictures.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Huh, I honestly didn't notice that. I swear she was wearing pants in Terajin's other pictures.
He draws her with pants in the cute pictures, without in the action ones.

Why? :iiam:

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Not always though.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

el burbo posted:

Not always though.

Oh my goodness, Chen's costume is the most adorable thing ever. :3:

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Touhou fans are all horrible creeps and weirdoes.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
You kind of have to be a weirdo to clear all the games on Lunatic, to say nothing of scoring :v:

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Gamma Nerd posted:

You kind of have to be a weirdo to clear all the games on Lunatic, to say nothing of scoring :v:

Speaking of which, the latest LP of the games here was playing on Lunatic and was just about to start TD on Lunatic before it just suddenly stopped, which sucks because I was looking forward to that game in particular. I think people who haven't should check it out before it drops into the archives forever, which should be soonish.
EDIT: And of course as soon as I post this there's an update.

HGH fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 23, 2013

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Forbidden Scrollery Chapters 10 and 11 are on the wiki now. In which we find out what Kosuzu was up to during Hopeless Masquerade.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I took a look on PIXIV, Deviantart, and Tumblr today and I couldn't believe nobody had done this yet!

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

I took a look on PIXIV, Deviantart, and Tumblr today and I couldn't believe nobody had done this yet!

rear end in a top hat, now that songs stuck in my head. :mad:

I laughed though.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

DrSunshine posted:

Excuse me sir, Ran is a kitsune and not a mere fox :goonsay:

On that note, which Touhou do you think would be singing the Stonehenge song?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

CommissarMega posted:

On that note, which Touhou do you think would be singing the Stonehenge song?

Suika, of course. Who else is better to talk about big rocks?

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Clarste posted:

Forbidden Scrollery Chapters 10 and 11 are on the wiki now. In which we find out what Kosuzu was up to during Hopeless Masquerade.

This is good but I'm looking forward to chapter 12!!!!

Maximum Chenergy
Aug 30, 2007

Its black mist swallows all.

DrSunshine posted:

Suika, of course. Who else is better to talk about big rocks?

Tenshi seems pretty capable as well, and of course there's always Koishi if you're on the lookout for possible puns :v:

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

I carved a thing

Template is http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=2241544

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Sup guys. Have some 8-bit Touhou:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2VgWJ6t7c4

Complete with link to the game. (I haven't tried it yet, since I'm at school now).

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

NuclearPotato posted:

Complete with link to the game. (I haven't tried it yet, since I'm at school now).

It's alright. They could stand to add a couple of things from the later games like the boss position indicator and visible hitbox on your character, and the fake sprite flickering is irritating, even if it's cute. But at the very least, it's no worse than the actual EOSD, and I appreciate the pun in the name.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

FractalSandwich posted:

It's alright. They could stand to add a couple of things from the later games like the boss position indicator and visible hitbox on your character, and the fake sprite flickering is irritating, even if it's cute. But at the very least, it's no worse than the actual EOSD, and I appreciate the pun in the name.

The genuine PC-98 experience!

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

el burbo posted:

The genuine PC-98 experience!

The actual PC-98 games look and sound so much better than this. :colbert:

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Hedera Helix posted:

The actual PC-98 games look and sound so much better than this. :colbert:

Yeah, with the PC-98 ZUN worked within the engine's graphical limitations. This thing however, rather than being some cute nod to the 8-bit consoles, just looks like a lovely bootleg of an SNES game for the NES. They straight-up just took Reimu's sprites from EoSD and put some filter or something on it, I dunno. Which, really, just makes it all the more hilarious that the dude who made this put himself as "graphical designer" in the credits.

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011

NuclearPotato posted:

Oh, hey, they finished that. I'd seen incomplete demos of that game that only went up to stage 2 or 3 before, so it's nice that it's done.

I'll probably just download the soundtrack or something; the game itself doesn't look all that great.

EDIT: Oh, wait, this is only up to stage 3 as well. I guess the designer got bored or something.

-

On a completely unrelated topic, I hope somebody can figure out how to make Ultra patches for the PC-98 games someday.

Leylite fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 29, 2013

Kaleid Stardust
Oct 27, 2013

by toby
It's simple. Zun remakes the PC-98 games for Windows and we use Ultra patches on those.

dranxis
Jul 12, 2013

Delicious tears of disappointment
I'd love to have a complete collection of the Touhou games, and I think it'd be pretty cool if ZUN ported the original PC-98 games all onto a one-disc Windows pack. But I guess there's little chance of that happening because 1. He created those games as part of a team so there might be copyright issues and 2. I get the impression that ZUN is a little embarrassed of them.

The only time I've ever seen copies of the PC-98 games for sale was on Mandarake, where the first three games were listed. For the great price of 100,000 yen each. :stare: I just went to check on the listings and all three are sold now, good god.

SirSlarty
Dec 23, 2003

that's wicked
I know the PC-98 used floppies but seeing Touhou on a floppy disk makes me laugh.
Seeing a floppy disk sell for over a thousand bucks makes me laugh harder.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
To be honest, the PC98 games aren't super great compared to any of the Windows games. I don't think you're ever going to see them again outside of emulators.

If you're really desperate for an ultra patch, just turn the frame limiter off and play on lunatic at 6x speed

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I can't stop listening to Pristine Beat. I really love it.

dranxis
Jul 12, 2013

Delicious tears of disappointment

SirSlarty posted:

I know the PC-98 used floppies but seeing Touhou on a floppy disk makes me laugh.
Seeing a floppy disk sell for over a thousand bucks makes me laugh harder.

I'm a collector, but... I can't wrap my brain around the idea of spending so much money on games you can't even play unless you own a working PC-98. I suppose some collectors buy things like this for the investment value, but still.

By the way, I finished my compilation of eerie and ominous Touhou arrangements for Halloween. I had a lot of fun picking out fitting fanart for it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiFiRMNWEak

I also drew this scary werewolf.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Hahaha, I almost never use tumblr except to find gifs, and when I logged in to get rid of email notifications entirely, I noticed that AskUdonge answered a question I sent over a year ago!

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Pureauthor posted:

I guess I need to give it time to grow on me. Maybe I'm too in love with ~the classics~ to appreciate the new songs. I did that with 10 desires too and I came out really loving True Administrator.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

HGH posted:

Speaking of which, the latest LP of the games here was playing on Lunatic and was just about to start TD on Lunatic before it just suddenly stopped, which sucks because I was looking forward to that game in particular. I think people who haven't should check it out before it drops into the archives forever, which should be soonish.
EDIT: And of course as soon as I post this there's an update.

I second this. Tsym is a pal of mine, and he puts lots of effort into his LPs. Definitely worth watching.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Pureauthor posted:

Really looking forward to C85 later this year solely for remixes of this song and Little Princess. The few that exist already are pretty okay, but I can't wait for ones that weren't thrown together as soon as possible to claim to be the earliest remix of a Touhou song.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
If I may quote myself re: Sukuna's theme:

CommissarMega posted:

Shinmyoumaru's boss theme has some very nice callbacks to the stage theme, and I DEFINITELY want some soaring orchestras on this, especially something with plenty of trumpets and violins- Morrigan or Tutti Sound, accept no substitutes.

Seriously, I will sacrifice a herd of goats if it meant Morrigan and/or Tutti Sound were working on Little Princess.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Tutti Sound is currently working their way through the games' soundtracks to turn them into film scores, so it's unlikely you'll be hearing them do Little Princess for a long while. And Morrigan seems to have moved on to doing original works, so I doubt he'd do it.

You'll have to settle for Fox Factory or Oriens.

(I mean on the other hand that means Tutti Sound's next project will have Fate of Sixty Years, so that'll be rad in and of itself.)

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I just want a House Set to come out soon.

Kaleid Stardust
Oct 27, 2013

by toby

Kheldragar posted:

I guess I need to give it time to grow on me. Maybe I'm too in love with ~the classics~ to appreciate the new songs. I did that with 10 desires too and I came out really loving True Administrator.

ZUN's always an amazing composer so it's like, I can't be upset. TD's instruments didn't brush me the right way, but I was still blown away by the arranges.

But secretly I want ZUN to bring back the earthy style of PCB/MoF just once. You know what I'm talking about. A stage song with synthesized woodwind melodies and a soothing piano lead you into a cacophony of impossibly high brass notes as the midboss drops in. The piano splits into multiple tracks, all of them ridiculously fast and articulate like only a machine (or marasy8) can be. I'd cry bitch tears if I heard even one more track do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSlarty
Dec 23, 2003

that's wicked
Are you talking about ZUN trumpets? I think you're talking about ZUN trumpets.
(I love ZUN trumpets)