Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

This is the kind of ad that ten years ago would have been a parody ad in a GTA game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Don't know about the new one, but GTA 4 has plenty parody of get rich quick schemes, "EVERYTHING MUST BE CHRISTIAN"-types and rush limbaugh talk radio

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Domattee posted:

Don't know about the new one, but GTA 4 has plenty parody of get rich quick schemes, "EVERYTHING MUST BE CHRISTIAN"-types and rush limbaugh talk radio

This reminds me that a few days back on the local conservative talk radio AM station they had an ad for this website: God Said Man Said.com ; with the ironic motto of "When you open the door of truth, nothing will be the same again."

Just click anywhere and prepare to be amazed.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

FuzzySkinner posted:

What I don't get about the "War on Christmas" is this.

Generally it always seems to happen because some Reddit Atheist stomping his feet about some stupid issue that only like 2 people in his entire community care about.

So, they get the christmas tree taken down, and suddenly you produce an army of angry "Evangelical/Tea Partiers" with even more ammo about the "Godless Left" (which is untrue), while real, legitimate cases of Church/State get ignored.

It's such a waste of time for all sides really.

There's nothing wrong with saying "Happy Holidays" either because we live in a country that is no longer predominately christian.
The War on Christmas people really just want their side to win no matter what, yet want to also be the persecuted minority for some reason. They want courthouse lawns to have nativity scenes even if you'd have a hard time walking two blocks without passing a church or a house that already has one, and they stay angry when they end up sharing that public space with others instead of having stuff removed entirely.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Guilty Spork posted:

The War on Christmas people really just want their side to win no matter what, yet want to also be the persecuted minority for some reason. They want courthouse lawns to have nativity scenes even if you'd have a hard time walking two blocks without passing a church or a house that already has one, and they stay angry when they end up sharing that public space with others instead of having stuff removed entirely.

They want a Christian nation so bad they can taste it. I see no difference between religious fundies screaming about "War on Christmas" and Islamic fundamentalists looking for an Islamic state. The real goal is to impose Christianity on the rest of the country at the point of a gun.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

anonumos posted:

They want a Christian nation so bad they can taste it. I see no difference between religious fundies screaming about "War on Christmas" and Islamic fundamentalists looking for an Islamic state. The real goal is to impose Christianity on the rest of the country at the point of a gun.

This is why all of their fear and paranoia about Sharia Law is hilarious because the only part of their understanding of Sharia that they would disagree with is the part where it's Islamic.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

FuzzySkinner posted:

What I don't get about the "War on Christmas" is this.

Generally it always seems to happen because some Reddit Atheist stomping his feet about some stupid issue that only like 2 people in his entire community care about.

So, they get the christmas tree taken down,

But that's the thing, its not a Reddit Atheist cancelling something, it never is as it hasn't ever happened.
Take that example in the first post about this, some place in England is cancelling Christmas. THIS NEVER HAPPENED.
Every year they trot this one out, while the actual history of what happened is completely the opposite.
Its always a council/park/city/whatever who want to INCLUDE MORE into the festivities by allowing Muslim/Atheist/Hindu/whatever celebrations as well.
And the fundie fucks go nutjob STOPPING ARE RELIGION in response.

Last year it was a park that displayed various groups christmas dioramas, and one was an atheist one.
The atheists didn't demand the rest be taken down, they just wanted to be shown as well as the rest.
But the fundie fucks claimed they wanted it all taken down, threw a fit, and it was all over the War on Christmas freak outs.

One thing to watch for, Bill O'Reilly. Last year he did his usual segment on ARE CHRISTMAS, and not even a minute after he was pimping Happy Holiday xmas O'Reilly Factor mugs.
So looking forward to see the same this year.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

happyhippy posted:

One thing to watch for, Bill O'Reilly. Last year he did his usual segment on ARE CHRISTMAS, and not even a minute after he was pimping Happy Holiday xmas O'Reilly Factor mugs.
So looking forward to see the same this year.

Bill O'Reilly is the best this time of year. Not only will he go on and on about the War on Christmas, but he'll also inevitably quote some fortune cookie platitude as Gospel verse and demonstrate his appalling ignorance regarding the faith he so vigorously defends.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Ray and Shirley posted:

This is the kind of ad that ten years ago would have been a parody ad in a GTA game.

GTA has always been pretty on the nose with its parodies of talk radio. It's one of my favorite aspects of the games.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Jazerus posted:

GTA has always been pretty on the nose with its parodies of talk radio. It's one of my favorite aspects of the games.

Me, too. I used to listen to those stations the most. If I wasn't being chased, I'd sit in the car I just hyjacked and flip through the channels for a good Limbaugh-/inskeep-parody show.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

In GTA 5 there's "Blaine County Radio" which has kept up with the times by not only parodying the standard right-wing radio, but also including an Alex Jones style "The Illumnati Lizard Men are in control!" parody. It's pretty loving hilarious, I exclusively listen to that station when it's available.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

radical meme posted:

This reminds me that a few days back on the local conservative talk radio AM station they had an ad for this website: God Said Man Said.com ; with the ironic motto of "When you open the door of truth, nothing will be the same again."

Just click anywhere and prepare to be amazed.

Oh God, these ads were all over the lovely local AM station back in my hometown. They'd cut to a commercial, and a booming voice would shout something insane like "WHY IS THE WHITE MAN WHITE AND THE BLACK MAN BLACK? GODSAIDMANSAID.COM!"

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The UN is about to come and take it!

quote:

San Antonio, Texas Mayor Julián Castro is currently negotiating with the United Nations to designate the Alamo as a UN Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) World Heritage Site, meaning that a blue UN flag may fly above the historic shrine of liberty once it falls under UN control.

UNESCO, a specialized agency within the UN, created the World Heritage Site status out of a 1972 international agreement, which calls for nations to join together to manage historical sites through “collective assistance.”

UH OH! I see the word "collective" has snuck in there. That's trouble.

quote:

One of the “protection obligations” of a World Heritage Site is the requirement to “use the World Heritage logo,” meaning that the Alamo Plaza would be adorned with UN symbols.

A UN flag may even be hoisted above the Alamo, which is typical at World Heritage Sites such as the Cahokia Mounds State Historic Site in Illinois.

The manual also suggests strategies for restricting public access to heritage sites due to “environmental concerns” under the guise of “sustainable” tourism, borrowing key words from Agenda 21.

Some may say that if the Alamo is designated a World Heritage Site, which is expected by 2015, the UN wouldn’t necessarily control it because the Alamo would “remain” under sovereign jurisdiction.

Yet as we constantly see with Agenda 21, local city governments adopt policies “recommended” by the UN as if they were law.

I bet it puts the Alamo under Sharia law too. Here's Alex Jones yellspaining the situation, which I guess is about guns or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3X0TFT6SOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What secrets is the UN storing in the Alamo's basement?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

greatn posted:

Well clearly Greys.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

greatn posted:

Losing that battle actually forfeited the entire country and America has actually legally been under Mexican control for almost 200 years and the documents proving it are hidden in a bunker under the Alamo.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Glenn Beck was reading The Tell-Tale Heart today in the most dramatic, overwrought manner possible.

I feel pretty confident he was jerking off under his desk at how brilliantly he was "performing" the story. Dude really wishes he was an actor and not some political shill. Like Hitler's failure as a painter is Glenn Beck's failure to achieve his Broadway dreams.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Glenn Beck was reading The Tell-Tale Heart today in the most dramatic, overwrought manner possible.

I feel pretty confident he was jerking off under his desk at how brilliantly he was "performing" the story. Dude really wishes he was an actor and not some political shill. Like Hitler's failure as a painter is Glenn Beck's failure to achieve his Broadway dreams.

Beck is just sad now. How are his viewer/listenership figures?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

PeterWeller posted:

Bill O'Reilly is the best this time of year. Not only will he go on and on about the War on Christmas, but he'll also inevitably quote some fortune cookie platitude as Gospel verse and demonstrate his appalling ignorance regarding the faith he so vigorously defends.

Looks like someone else is getting in on the WOC money train.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0062292889

And, if you enjoy torturing yourself, here is an example of what you get with your $17.54.

https://soundcloud.com/rebeccaschoenkopf/sarah-palin-good-tidings-and

emptyspace
Oct 21, 2008

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I'd rather him do that than pretty much anything else he ever does on his show. Maybe he'll read some Dickens for xmas, without a hint of irony.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Eulogistics posted:

The war on Christmas has officially begun this year, guys: my co-worker who spends all day listening to WMAL has let me know that there is at least one town in England where they abolished Christmas.

I don't know about Old England but New England has officially been conquered by the forces of evil:

:getin:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Satan also runs the movie industry, according to Rick Santorum who has just founded a movie studio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R63yutg7cjo

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

It still drives me crazy to see Michele Bachmann trotted out on Fox Business Network/Cavuto (two things my father watches religiously) without a single shred of business experience.

She was on there the other day, and my dad was going :allears: about her.

Bachmann is everything the right criticizes "liberals" of being..a career politician with no idea how the real world works.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

FuzzySkinner posted:

It still drives me crazy to see Michele Bachmann trotted out on Fox Business Network/Cavuto (two things my father watches religiously) without a single shred of business experience.

She was on there the other day, and my dad was going :allears: about her.

Bachmann is everything the right criticizes "liberals" of being..a career politician with no idea how the real world works.

Yeah Paul Ryan going straight into government from college was maddeningly also totally ignored.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

FuzzySkinner posted:

Her and Marcus' pray away the gay camp doesn't count as a business?

emptyspace
Oct 21, 2008

comes along bort posted:

Her and Marcus' pray away the gay camp doesn't count as a business?

She also gets farm subsidies for some thing or another, IIRC. So that means she's also a farmer.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

Satan also runs the movie industry, according to Rick Santorum who has just founded a movie studio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R63yutg7cjo

How dare he call us Jews Satan. :colbert:

(Please pay no attention to us maybe having Jesus killed)

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Radish posted:

Yeah Paul Ryan going straight into government from college was maddeningly also totally ignored.

For as much as criticism as Romney got (and rightfully so), at the very least I could go "Well, at least he has business experience". Same with Herman Cain (though he was pretty awful in that sector).

I cannot say the same for the following:

Michelle Bachmann
Ted Cruz
Rick Santorum
Newt Gingrich
Rick Perry
Marco Rubio

All of which supposedly "champion" the side of business, all of which are career politicians.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
John Stossel, the other Dennis Miller.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/10/31/john-stossel-womens-insurance-should-cost-more-because-maybe-theyre-hypochondriacs/

quote:

During an appearance on Fox & Friends, Stossel asserted to host Steve Doocy that President Barack Obama’s health care reform law “just kills the market” by mandating that women can no longer be charged more than men for insurance.

“The competition of the market is the only thing that makes things better,” he explained. “Yesterday, President Obama stood in front of a bunch of women in Massachusetts and said, ‘No longer will those evil insurance companies be able to charge you women more.’”

“Women go to the doctor much more often than men! Maybe they’re smarter or maybe they’re hypochondriacs,” Stossel continued. “They live longer. Who knows? But if it’s insurance, you ought to be able to charge people who use the services more, more.”

How does insurance work? Who knows?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Sir Tonk posted:

John Stossel, the other Dennis Miller.

John Stossel is not the other Dennis Miller, he is instead quite literally Ron Burgundy.

I know this because my wife worked as a production assistant for ABC the same time he was there and according to her he's "a clueless mustache in a suit that likes to stare at the tits of interns in elevators".

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
But Ron Burgundy had actual charisma and can rock out a piccolo.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Stossel is the loving worst.

Sir Tonk posted:

And, if you enjoy torturing yourself, here is an example of what you get with your $17.54.

:psyduck: Jesus Christ this is loving stupid.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

A Winner is Jew posted:

John Stossel is not the other Dennis Miller, he is instead quite literally Ron Burgundy.

I know this because my wife worked as a production assistant for ABC the same time he was there and according to her he's "a clueless mustache in a suit that likes to stare at the tits of interns in elevators".

Apparently he's also a True Believer libertarian, too.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Phone posted:

Apparently he's also a True Believer libertarian, too.

Also a major FYGM advocate.

http://crooksandliars.com/news-hound-ellen/john-stossel-just-because-i-take-

Wants to close FEMA, but has used it three times in past to get money for damage to his beach house.
Massive loving hypocrite.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

happyhippy posted:

Massive loving hypocrite.

Find me a conservative this does not apply to.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Reminder that John Stossel is deaf in one ear because a wrestler slapped him twice.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I'll always hate John Stossel for probably being the main reason why early-teenaged me considered myself a libertarian. I watched 20/20 and thought he was a smart guy, I fell for his crap.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Lycus posted:

I'll always hate John Stossel for probably being the main reason why early-teenaged me considered myself a libertarian. I watched 20/20 and thought he was a smart guy, I fell for his crap.

So did I- it's easy to trick children/idiots.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Sir Tonk posted:

I can't wait to introduce my kids to the Yule Lads, Yule Goat, Krampus, and the Lord of Misrule. Christian Christmas is boring as gently caress, there aren't nearly enough monsters and there isn't near enough revelry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Reminder that John Stossel is deaf in one ear because a wrestler slapped him twice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrX9Ca7LSyQ
That was satisfying.