Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

picosecond
Dec 9, 2006

one millionth of one millionth of a second
I've been listening to Tom Scharpling on WFMU since around 2003. Dude made my Tuesday night on so many occasions. This must be what it felt like for our parents when Cheers or M*A*S*H went off the air. Sad but understandable - and hey, we'll always have the memories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
http://www.buzzfeed.com/perpetua/signs-youre-from-newbridge

The #bestshowforlife hashtag on twitter continues to be pretty goddamn awesome.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
I kind of hope that S&W spend the next 7 shows slowly killing off all of Newbridge.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Groucho Marxist posted:

I kind of hope that S&W spend the next 7 shows slowly killing off all of Newbridge.

You mean, like every call ending in an explosion?

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Poopy Palpy posted:

You mean, like every call ending in an explosion?

I demand deaths by laser whipping.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
The only ending that could ever really for would be for Tom to report live from the Barging of Roy Zeigler.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
I laughed hard at the idea someone posted on another site that Jon should just call in as himself, have it be just them chatting about their calls over the years for a few minutes, then in true Wursterian style let some weird things slip and slowly peel away the veneer to reveal that he is a disgusting creep who secretly hates Tom.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Honestly I hadn't even thought of how I wouldn't hear Wurster being an amazing weirdo anymore since I first heard the news of Tom's retirement from the Best Show. Now I'm sad all over again.

I hope they don't barge Roy. He's afraid of the wooder.

Juttman
Apr 7, 2008

Saturated Fats

DangerDummy! posted:

I hope they don't barge Roy. He's afraid of the wooder.

Its so silly, but i really would feel awful. As ridiculous and selfish as these characters are, I really care about PBR. Hes so loveable, and he makes me proud to be a philly-ite in a weird way.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

From Tom's Twitter:

quote:

Thank you for the awesome outpouring if love for the show! But I AM NOT DEAD and I AM JUST GETTING STARTED. Don't bury us yet!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

DangerDummy! posted:

Honestly I hadn't even thought of how I wouldn't hear Wurster being an amazing weirdo anymore since I first heard the news of Tom's retirement from the Best Show. Now I'm sad all over again.

I would say the chances of them not continuing to do Sharpling and Wurster bits are slim to none. They'd probably just be released sporadically as albums on iTunes these days. I think they have actually been doing that schtick since before the best show.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

NESguerilla posted:

I would say the chances of them not continuing to do Sharpling and Wurster bits are slim to none. They'd probably just be released sporadically as albums on iTunes these days. I think they have actually been doing that schtick since before the best show.

My hazy recollection of their history from an interview from Tom I read is that it started during the Best Show era. Their first bit, which eventually became famous from an album release, was Wurster rating celebrities and bands with a really silly metric, and pissing a bunch of callers on live radio with it. I wish I could remember the name of the bit, but it's very similar to "Biz, Buzz, or Bust".

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

DangerDummy! posted:

My hazy recollection of their history from an interview from Tom I read is that it started during the Best Show era. Their first bit, which eventually became famous from an album release, was Wurster rating celebrities and bands with a really silly metric, and pissing a bunch of callers on live radio with it. I wish I could remember the name of the bit, but it's very similar to "Biz, Buzz, or Bust".

It was called Rock Rot and Rule and it's loving hilarious. It's one of the only mixes of actual callers and Wurster bits out there. He pretended to be an author who wrote a book rating what bands sucked and what bands didn't with no credentials and trolled a bunch of music nerds that called in.

Didn't know if that was the first thing they did or not, but either way it's worth mentioning because it's great.

Edit: It's also one of the only times you will hear one of their bits before everyone was in on the joke. It was more of a straight up troll than just a comedy sketch.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Nov 2, 2013

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Juttman posted:

Its so silly, but i really would feel awful. As ridiculous and selfish as these characters are, I really care about PBR. Hes so loveable, and he makes me proud to be a philly-ite in a weird way.
I'm hoping that the Tom being Newbridge mayor plays into this, maybe a reprise of the mayubernatorial debate with PBR becoming mayor again

NESguerilla posted:

It was called Rock Rot and Rule and it's loving hilarious. It's one of the only mixes of actual callers and Wurster bits out there. He pretended to be an author who wrote a book rating what bands sucked and what bands didn't with no credentials and trolled a bunch of music nerds that called in.

Didn't know if that was the first thing they did or not, but either way it's worth mentioning because it's great.

Edit: It's also one of the only times you will hear one of their bits before everyone was in on the joke. It was more of a straight up troll than just a comedy sketch.
The "Madness created ska" thing always kills me, just for the people calling in to correct him

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
That whole Capt. Bayonne vs Dr. Cronut segment ... Holy gently caress!

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers

Illinois Smith posted:

That whole Capt. Bayonne vs Dr. Cronut segment ... Holy gently caress!

I can hear the horrible ray-gun noise just looking at that

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Insane show last night.

Oh yeah, Tom is doing a voice in the new Cartoon Network show Steven Adventure: he's in episode 2 (/episode 1 part 2) as the main character's Dad. The show is pretty drat good so far, Tom is really, really good in it + he even has a song.

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran
I loved the philly prison story. These last six are going to rule.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

urk the quack posted:

I can hear the horrible ray-gun noise just looking at that

Just listening to the show now and I'm laughing like a lunatic every time I hear that raygun. It sounds like something deflating.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anyone else just planning on starting over from the beginning and listening to one show a week for the next 13 years?

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Nov 13, 2013

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I'm a cuple episodes behind on the podcast, has Tom reveiled what he's going to do after the show? Is he going to TV?

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
I love how Wurster's taking it up a notch in these last few episodes. Instead of calling Tom a 'dink-nits' or whatever, he just goes straight to 'jackass'.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

SuppressdPuberty93 posted:

I'm a cuple episodes behind on the podcast, has Tom reveiled what he's going to do after the show? Is he going to TV?

Chris Gethard has his own cryptic announcement coming on this week's installment of his show. I hope this means IFC finally picked up his and Tom's show.

Asterios
Apr 17, 2008

So long, Skorpex!

https://www.presidentbaby.com

WoG posted:

I love how Wurster's taking it up a notch in these last few episodes. Instead of calling Tom a 'dink-nits' or whatever, he just goes straight to 'jackass'.

The best "Wurster taking it up a notch" on record is this. It was never broadcast, so Philly Boy Roy's language got a lot more troubling:

"Scharpling & Wurster present the Merge Records 20th Anniversary Roundtable Discussion!"
http://www.scharplingandwurster.com/?p=194

PepeSilvia
Mar 17, 2009

The link appears to be dead... I'm intrigued though. You have a reup?

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Tom beginning to Bad Company a second grader on this show just made me laugh so hard. Amazing run of terrible callers.

Holy poo poo, Jason from Huntsville, Alabama is in studio, pretty easily the best regular caller of recent years.

GraPar fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Nov 20, 2013

Asterios
Apr 17, 2008

So long, Skorpex!

https://www.presidentbaby.com

PepeSilvia posted:

The link appears to be dead... I'm intrigued though. You have a reup?

I don't. If someone has it, please post it. It's fantastic - the ending is the only time "the baddies" accomplish something they've been talking about for a long, long time.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

GraPar posted:

Tom beginning to Bad Company a second grader on this show just made me laugh so hard. Amazing run of terrible callers.

Holy poo poo, Jason from Huntsville, Alabama is in studio, pretty easily the best regular caller of recent years.

Saw a pic of that on AP Mikes facebook. Jason looks absolutely nothing like I expected. I guess that is always the case with radio though. Who would have ever thought Spike looked like Wesley Willis?

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Spike doesn't look like Wesley Willis at all. Because they're both black and Spike is a little overweight? I have no idea what you are talking about

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

inferis posted:

Spike doesn't look like Wesley Willis at all. Because they're both black and Spike is a little overweight? I have no idea what you are talking about

Could be worse. Spike used to describe himself as looking like Malcolm Jamal Warner.

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stroszek lol

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

SuppressdPuberty93 posted:

Tom's actually already getting his foot in the door, he's a voice actor on Steven Universe, he plays Steven's dad.

Also Chris Gethard's announcement was that TCGS is going to be filming a pilot for comedy central so that's cool.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That video Kurt Vile was talking about really is the best loving thing ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqY6mXULzpw

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I'm a week late, but Tom telling the caller that he was rooting for his death was one of the funniest things I've heard in a while. At least he wasn't mean about it.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
gently caress yeah, I was hoping Hodgman would show up in the studio for a last time.

Juttman
Apr 7, 2008

Saturated Fats

DangerDummy! posted:

I'm a week late, but Tom telling the caller that he was rooting for his death was one of the funniest things I've heard in a while. At least he wasn't mean about it.

Agreed. I dont laugh out loud often, but that had me laughing like an idiot. Tom is such a pro at comedy. I feel like he is an utter genius at finding ridiculous/funny things about anything.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

NESguerilla posted:

That video Kurt Vile was talking about really is the best loving thing ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqY6mXULzpw

lol

PepeSilvia
Mar 17, 2009

The actual video for the song Billy Joel plays in that video is also pretty peak off-the-rails style Billy Joel absurdity as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhJg1finpyU

Although I grew up on LI and I like Billy Joel more than I'd really like to admit...

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Todd Barry just mentioned on Twitter that he'll be on the Best Show tonight (I'm excited though I know some people around here aren't the biggest fans)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

het posted:

Todd Barry just mentioned on Twitter that he'll be on the Best Show tonight (I'm excited though I know some people around here aren't the biggest fans)

Patton Oswalt mentioned that he and Julie Klausner will be on, so it's going to be a great show even if you hate Todd Barry.