Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Wasn't sure if I should post this here or in SH/SC but I'll give it a whirl. A family member owns a few restaurants in Toronto, one of them has been getting irate Rogers customers who can't get a signal inside. Rogers used to have a nearby tower but lost it due to some beef with a condo board or something. Outside people get a weak but usable signal, inside little to nothing. Normally this would be Rogers problem but of course customers are short sighted and blame the local businesses instead. Someone asked me about getting a signal booster for the place but I have no first hand experience or knowledge of them. Is this even worth looking into or are they just SOL?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Direct customers to call Rogers and complain. Make sure they actually do. The companies really do take that poo poo seriously. They'll rush a new site through the pipeline.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

plotskee posted:

Is 7-11 Speakout the cheapest carrier for an emergency phone that will at most send a few texts a month? I'm looking for something I can top up and leave for a year, without losing a ton of cash in monthly fees/balance expiry. I'd be interested if there was something similar using the Telus network with the better coverage.

Koodo uses the Telus network and has pay-as-you-go. When I was researching it, Koodo and Virgin were the best prepaid providers. That was in January, though.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Speak out is the cheapest because they have 365 day expiry.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Crossposting from the Canadian internet thread on Bell and Virgin's new "privacy" policies.

Bell: http://support.bell.ca/billing-and-accounts/security_and_privacy/how_does_bell_respect_my_privacy?step=4

Virgin: http://www.virginmobile.ca/en/support/relevant-ads.html

And opt-out links:

Bell: http://mobilebrowser.bwanet.ca/optout/v2/bell-en.jsp

Virgin: http://www.virginmobile.ca/en/support/preferences/relevantAds.html

chang with a k
Sep 11, 2006

Thanks.

FYI, the opt-out "captcha" security code from Virgin only loaded for me in Internet Explorer. Chrome, Firefox, Safari didn't work. Fuckers.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Jesus, so not only are these motherfuckers gouging the populace on network connectivity, and building media and content empires.... now they want into the targeted ads game...

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
That captcha is ridiculous. Took me 6 different captchas before I finally got one that works. I was positively entering the proper letters each time but it kept denying me. Scumbags.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Is there any grounds here to argue something like breach of contract and get out of the data cancelling fee? I'm looking to jump back to a dumb phone but I also don't want to pay $400 to do it.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

The best part is the opt out is only to the targeted ads. They are still going to collect your data. Wonder what cancelling whats left of my contract is going to cost me.

Any other carriers have decent deals on right now? In Calgary and I mostly care about unlimited texting.

ja_raul
May 1, 2005

Geektox posted:

Is there any grounds here to argue something like breach of contract and get out of the data cancelling fee? I'm looking to jump back to a dumb phone but I also don't want to pay $400 to do it.

I'm curious about this too.. my 3 year Bell plan doesn't end until May, and i've been looking to cancel pretty much after my first year with them.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Choose the types of ads you'd prefer to receive.

Relevant targeted ads
Unfiltered random ads (opt-out)

Oh great, so either way, I'm still going to get ads? gently caress!

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Browsing MobileSyrup just now, anyone heard of this? http://www.knowroaming.com/

Anyone think this is legit? Would be a nice way to say "gently caress you" to the big 3 when roaming outside of Canada.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Migishu posted:

Browsing MobileSyrup just now, anyone heard of this? http://www.knowroaming.com/

Anyone think this is legit? Would be a nice way to say "gently caress you" to the big 3 when roaming outside of Canada.

That looks sketchy as gently caress.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Migishu posted:

I don't know about this but I've been using Roam Mobile when roaming through New England on an unlocked iPhone and they have just bumped up their one day plans to be 300 MB per day for $4. Unlimited Canada/US incoming/outgoing calls and texts too.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Yeah, it's really light on the technical details. I'd want some reviews from sources i trust. (Also roam Mobile user)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Finally told Rogers to shove it after getting on my employer's new corporate plan. That 30 day cancellation notice is kind of a bullshit unabashed moneygrab though. I'm sure it wouldn't take them 30 days to shut off my line if I, say, stopped paying them.

Oh well. I should have known to cancel earlier anyway, no big thing.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Martytoof posted:

Finally told Rogers to shove it after getting on my employer's new corporate plan. That 30 day cancellation notice is kind of a bullshit unabashed moneygrab though. I'm sure it wouldn't take them 30 days to shut off my line if I, say, stopped paying them.

Oh well. I should have known to cancel earlier anyway, no big thing.

The 30 day cancellation thing is pretty much just one of those things that is there because everyone does it, there's no real reason for it at all.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

DariusLikewise posted:

The 30 day cancellation thing is pretty much just one of those things that is there because everyone does it, there's no real reason for it at all.

There's a way around paying if you request the cancelation with notice and then formally complain to the CRTC or some such. I've seen a few blog posts with details.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Yeah, I recently had to pay the extra 30 days with shaw. Here is some video evidence of my experience. It's typical across the board. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6G-wNyIxzM

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I know the new wireless code requires carriers to allow same day cancellation but I don't think it is retroactive to old accounts. I guess I should be pissed but honestly I can't get that worked up about it. I should have expected this and cancelled sooner so really it's kind of my fault anyway. If I've got some free time maybe I'll look into ways around it but for now I guess I'll just pay the $190 or whatever for the extra month of service on the three lines I cancelled.

Wow, when I think about it that's actually quite a bit of money on the table :argh:

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
My dad is looking into a new phone contract. He's on mobilicity, and there is no reception in many places (including home and work)

Can someone explain how this whole koodo or fido tab system works? I'm not entirely sure I understand how it works.

Let's say it's a cheap "smartphone lite" or whatever they're calling it now (the cheap budget old phones).

Assuming said phone is "worth" $400 (using the galaxy s4 mini on koodo as an example), is this correct:
- $45 per month for the plan and tab for 2 years
- Of that $45 per month, part of it is the tab, which goes towards paying off the phone
- $100 for the phone (koodo's example)

Then, at the end of the 24 month sentence contract, no amount is owing, and you are free to re-sign or do whatever.
However, if you decide to leave, then your ETF is the balance left on the phone

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

It's great but sad and funny that Mobilicity's US roaming rates on T-Mobile/ATT are cheaper (10c per outgoing text/call minute, gently caress data) than T-Mobile's own prepaid rates.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Martytoof posted:

I'm sure it wouldn't take them 30 days to shut off my line if I, say, stopped paying them.
They're actually very slow to cut people off that don't pay, to the point where they'll charge months of interest before trying to get in touch.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

Wild EEPROM posted:

My dad is looking into a new phone contract. He's on mobilicity, and there is no reception in many places (including home and work)

Can someone explain how this whole koodo or fido tab system works? I'm not entirely sure I understand how it works.

Let's say it's a cheap "smartphone lite" or whatever they're calling it now (the cheap budget old phones).

Assuming said phone is "worth" $400 (using the galaxy s4 mini on koodo as an example), is this correct:
- $45 per month for the plan and tab for 2 years
- Of that $45 per month, part of it is the tab, which goes towards paying off the phone
- $100 for the phone (koodo's example)

Then, at the end of the 24 month sentence contract, no amount is owing, and you are free to re-sign or do whatever.
However, if you decide to leave, then your ETF is the balance left on the phone

I have an iPhone 4 with koodo that I got last year. The buy outright cost if the phone was 250. Without contract, just with a plan the phone was 100* and then -150 was added to my tab. Every month a value equal to 10% of my bill is added to the tab. So typical monthly bill of 40 makes the tab go up 4, if I go to the states than the bill is about 50 and the tab grows by 5. The tab itself can grow to +150 and can be used for hardware upgrades. If I leave the carrier i'd have to pay out any amount owed on tab.

*pay 100 and then immediately get a 100 gift card, so it's a "free" phone

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

eXXon posted:

It's great but sad and funny that Mobilicity's US roaming rates on T-Mobile/ATT are cheaper (10c per outgoing text/call minute, gently caress data) than T-Mobile's own prepaid rates.

I guess, but I couldn't be happier with T-Mobile's $3 a day plan for unlimited calling/texting and data (the first 200MB or so of which are HSPA, then it switches to Edge).

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit

Martytoof posted:

I know the new wireless code requires carriers to allow same day cancellation but I don't think it is retroactive to old accounts.

It's not, and I don't think it's required in all provinces. It's available in Nova Scotia, and I want to say Ontario, Quebec, Newfoundland and maybe others but I can't remember.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Lexicon posted:

I guess, but I couldn't be happier with T-Mobile's $3 a day plan for unlimited calling/texting and data (the first 200MB or so of which are HSPA, then it switches to Edge).

That sounds like it could be useful. Can you sign up for it each day through your phone and pay through your existing prepaid credit?

Speaking of which, I needed another cheap AWS phone and picked up a Lumia 521 in the US ($99 at Best Buy). There have been mixed reports of success with getting it unlocked through cellunlocker.net, and it's not cheap anyways ($35). Are there any sketchy cell stores in the GTA that could offer a better deal. The other alternative I have is to meet T-Mobile's requirements, which are basically to put $50.01 in credit on it. I don't go to the US that often and the 90 day expiry on minutes is annoying but I guess for $10 every 3 months to prevent expiry that's not so terrible...

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

I'm in Canada, and I need to call my bank in Australia. They said they'd accept the charges but apparently dialing "0" to reach the operator to make a collect call doesn't work on a cell phone. Makes sense, I've just never thought about it. So I called Bell to see how to make a collect call from a cell phone, but apparently that's impossible. That seems strange to me... hasn't this come up before? Isn't this a gaping, obvious flaw that cell phones need to fix? They've been around for a while now, this should have been resolved by now. The guy at Bell said he'd been there for 5 years and it's never come up. Am I in the Twilight Zone?

I'm using an iPhone so now I'm looking at VOIP apps, but apparently they're all terrible. They all have terrible reviews. What do people use? Skype?

What's my best course of action here? I just need to make one phonecall and that's it, so buying a bunch of Skype credit or whatever is kind of a waste. Just find a payphone so I can call the operator?

Linkletter
Aug 4, 2004

Finding a payphone is probably the easiest free option. Skype credit would probably be like 3 bucks. The Google Hangouts app for iOS does free phone calls too (maybe just in the US and Canada?).

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
See if google dialler inside gmail website on a computer will work for you. I use it as a free alternative for customer service type calls during daytime.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

stratdax posted:

I'm in Canada, and I need to call my bank in Australia. They said they'd accept the charges but apparently dialing "0" to reach the operator to make a collect call doesn't work on a cell phone. Makes sense, I've just never thought about it.

I'm sorry I can't help you with your issue, but this made me want to hear more. With old phones pressing 0 just made a certain tone that the other side interprets as 0. This is called dual tone multi frequency signalling. How does it make sense that cellphones can't do that? Is it common to not be able to use automated menus with cell phones? I haven't ran into that yet, although the only menus I can remember going through are from the bank or telus.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

DrBox posted:

I'm sorry I can't help you with your issue, but this made me want to hear more. With old phones pressing 0 just made a certain tone that the other side interprets as 0. This is called dual tone multi frequency signalling. How does it make sense that cellphones can't do that? Is it common to not be able to use automated menus with cell phones? I haven't ran into that yet, although the only menus I can remember going through are from the bank or telus.

There's no operator for cell phones. There's just the carrier.

Thanks for above suggestions. I looked into the Google Voice Dialer thing but I would have to put 10 bucks on the account up front, just like Skype. I'll see if I can find a payphone to call the operator from - I can pretend I'm in The Wire or something.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

stratdax posted:

There's no operator for cell phones. There's just the carrier.

Ahh, thanks!

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT
Back before I had a smart phone I noticed that Rogers had really expanded 411 into more than just a yellowpages type service. Try giving that a call and see if you can speak to an operator there.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm getting a Nexus 5, upgrading from a Galaxy Nexus. Is there anything I need to do to enable LTE on my Rogers account? I have the 6GB/$30 plan from years ago.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm getting a Nexus 5, upgrading from a Galaxy Nexus. Is there anything I need to do to enable LTE on my Rogers account? I have the 6GB/$30 plan from years ago.

You have to call them and get them to switch it over to an "LTE Ready" plan, last I checked. Shouldn't cost anything or otherwise impact your account.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lexicon posted:

You have to call them and get them to switch it over to an "LTE Ready" plan, last I checked. Shouldn't cost anything or otherwise impact your account.

Great, thanks. If they try and take away my super data plan I will kill someone.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

Great, thanks. If they try and take away my super data plan I will kill someone.

One thing you'll notice: moving from a 3G to an LTE device - you'll use waayyyyyy more of that 6GB bucket. I bet they regret offering that, much as AT&T/Verizon came to regret offering unlimited data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

Lexicon posted:

Not anymore. All plans (post-paid anyway) will give you LTE now. I've never come across a grandfathered plan that couldn't access LTE, even old BIS and BES plans.