Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

DrNutt posted:

Just a reminder folks, for maximum festive Bij tonight, be sure to watch Catspaw tonight! Spooooooooky!
Wow, it was even written by Robert Bloch.

I think this is one of the advantages of the whole episodic TV format, however much people may like their Breaking Bads and their B5s and their hipping and their hopping. While I suppose one might reasonably say, 'what if Stephanie Meyer wrote an episode of Star Trek,' the counter is 'imagine if Stephen King or JK Rowling wrote an episode of Star Trek'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Nessus posted:

Wow, it was even written by Robert Bloch.

I think this is one of the advantages of the whole episodic TV format, however much people may like their Breaking Bads and their B5s and their hipping and their hopping. While I suppose one might reasonably say, 'what if Stephanie Meyer wrote an episode of Star Trek,' the counter is 'imagine if Stephen King or JK Rowling wrote an episode of Star Trek'.

What if Harlan Ellison wrote an episode of Star Trek

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

rypakal posted:

Star Trek would be sued since Harlan Ellison is involved, and if not a law suit he will be pissed at someone.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It can be strong, terrible, or somewhere in between, depending on who the showrunner is. Like, I think I remember liking Richard Matheson's episode but thinking "This seems like it was written for The Twilight Zone, though" because, welp

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes

Bicyclops posted:

It can be strong, terrible, or somewhere in between, depending on who the showrunner is. Like, I think I remember liking Richard Matheson's episode but thinking "This seems like it was written for The Twilight Zone, though" because, welp

I don't think I've read or seen anything written by Richard Matheson that didn't make me think it was written for the Twilight Zone

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

I just showed some friends catspaw a few minutes ago for halloween and I think they might be into Trek now!

...but only bad trek :smith:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Star Trek would be sued since Harlan Ellison is involved, and if not a law suit he will be pissed at someone.

poo poo man, now that he's been mentioned at least twice in this thread, he's probably contacting his lawyers to see if he has any grounds for a lawsuit right now.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme posted:

I don't think I've read or seen anything written by Richard Matheson that didn't make me think it was written for the Twilight Zone

That's what I'm saying. Stephen King could probably write for Star Trek and it could even conceivably be a great episode, but everyone would talk like a Maine grandpa. Big name guest writers have their advantages and their disadvantages. Episodic writing is almost by definition more uneven whereas shows with a writing staff are more consistent, but the latter can also mean that things lack variety, which can wear thin for shows that have seven seasons.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

rypakal posted:

He got the story credit on a couple of Babylon 5 episodes if that counts. He also had a creative consultant credit for the whole run.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

He got the story credit on a couple of Babylon 5 episodes if that counts. He also had a creative consultant credit for the whole run.

If he wrote star trek it would involve time travel of some sort. Maybe Kirk falling in love with someone, but discovering that she helps the Nazis win the war.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

bobkatt013 posted:

If he wrote star trek it would involve time travel of some sort. Maybe Kirk falling in love with someone, but discovering that she helps the Nazis win the war.
Time travel would be kind of tricky. McCoy would fit in obviously, but you'd have to figure out some way to conceal Spock's... you know.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Oh yeah there was that Neil Gaiman episode where dead people come back to life and Space Penn and Teller (whose voice box is voiced by Harlan Ellison) do a comedy routine

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Oh yeah there was that Neil Gaiman episode where dead people come back to life and Space Penn and Teller do a comedy routine

That was a terrible episode, I remember this coloring my perceptions of Penn and Teller forever.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

1st AD posted:

That was a terrible episode, I remember this coloring my perceptions of Penn and Teller forever.

That episode was easily the best episode of the first half of season 5, and also had some important developments for the rest of the series. It was also the last time Londo was happy. :(

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008

Nessus posted:

Time travel would be kind of tricky. McCoy would fit in obviously, but you'd have to figure out some way to conceal Spock's... you know.

"My friend is obviously... Chinese."

Iprazochrome fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 31, 2013

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

1st AD posted:

For better, or worse?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
The Federation is a utopia, exactly as it appears to be, only interested in pursuing peaceful relations with other species, never attacking, people who hate replicators and transporters are stodgy, weird Luddites, the Maquis are dumb and whiny space terrorists, and any contradictions of this are due to the shows' limited budgets and the fact that they were made in the 60s/80s/90s.

There, I said it apropos of nothing :colbert:

kelvron posted:

And I will be that terrible ball and chain. Watch Star Trek. Watch it all. The BIJ of terrible Trek is what makes the standouts even better. Star Trek is more than a TV show, it's a snapshot of how TV was made in a particular era. "The Best of Both Worlds" loses some of it's impact without "Family". Not just from a storytelling standpoint, but from a TV standpoint. Watching TV storytelling change from TNG->DS9->Voy->Ent is a lot of fun.

Besides, it makes it easier to tell others exactly why Voyager is worst Trek. Experience BIJ

I didn't watch TNG Season 1 until recently, and now I FINALLY understand the "341-mark-12" and "200-mark-230" bearing system, which I was confused by the entire time I watched TNG/DS9.

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 31, 2013

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Ellison also voiced the Babylon 5 main computer "experimental personality program"'s voice.

1st AD posted:

Penn is also a gigantically creepy pervo who won't take 'no' for an answer.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Oh yeah there was that Neil Gaiman episode

1st AD posted:

That was a terrible episode

This is a very circular conversation.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

Nessus posted:

They can just say he's into body modification.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

BrandonGK posted:

They can just say he's into body modification.

Actually his ears were caught in a mechanical rice picker. Quite tragic, really.

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

In Time's Arrow, Counselor Troi doesn't feel any life from the beings sitting in phased time. Therefore it's totally okay to blow up their source of food and all the aliens with it without bothering to find some other alternative because gently caress eating dying people from the past.

This of course is shortly after they decide not to mangle the gently caress out of the Borg Collective with Hew. Consistency.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

President Kucinich posted:

In Time's Arrow, Counselor Troi doesn't feel any life from the beings sitting in phased time. Therefore it's totally okay to blow up their source of food and all the aliens with it without bothering to find some other alternative because gently caress eating dying people from the past.

This of course is shortly after they decide not to mangle the gently caress out of the Borg Collective with Hew. Consistency.

"Mr. Data, how much would an audience from the 1980s relate to these... beings?"
"Not very well, sir. They come off as spooky and villanous."
"Fire torpedoes, Mr. Worf."
"AT LAST."

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I just realized that the Starfleet Intelligence (what an oxmoron :downs: ) guy in Honor Among Thieves is the LESBIAN REQUEST DENIED guy on Orange is the New Black.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

1st AD posted:

I just realized that the Starfleet Intelligence (what an oxmoron :downs: ) guy in Honor Among Thieves is the LESBIAN REQUEST DENIED guy on Orange is the New Black.

The Trill woman Dax had the fling with is now the mother on Arrow.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

The two Siskos (bald/hairy) are just so different, I find it difficult to reconcile them as the same man. Hairy Sisko is all "HOO! Jake-o, can't you feel it in your bones?" while singing in a falsetto and jumping hopscotch, but Bald Sisko is the scariest Starfleet officer of all time, virus-bombing planets and speaking in a gravelly deep voice at all times.

:confused:

superh posted:

Yesterday's Enterprise is amazing.

I didn't really like that episode, because A. I didn't give a poo poo about Tasha Yar, B. The battle at the end was lame, and C. They killed off the awesome lady captain of the Enterprise-C and had white male security officer take over.

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Nov 1, 2013

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Sisko was secretly replaced by Mirror Sisko.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

The transformation is nearly complete.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The Sisko is... schizophrenic. Uncertain.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

Farecoal posted:

I didn't really like that episode, because A. I didn't give a poo poo about Tasha Yar, B. The battle at the end was lame, and C. They killed off the awesome lady captain of the Enterprise-C and had white male security officer take over.

That battle at the end was loving amazing because they finally decided to use some budget. It's only lame in a modern context, which... uh... of course!

Standard battles are an interior view of the bridge while the ship shakes once and someone says shields are at 60%, c'mon man!

Tasha always sucked though, and Rachel Garrett is my favourite lady captain in all of Trek

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Hyperriker posted:

Tasha always sucked though,

The world just wasn't ready for a rape-gang-hardened female head of security.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Hyperriker posted:

That battle at the end was loving amazing because they finally decided to use some budget. It's only lame in a modern context, which... uh... of course!

Standard battles are an interior view of the bridge while the ship shakes once and someone says shields are at 60%, c'mon man!

Tasha always sucked though, and Rachel Garrett is my favourite lady captain in all of Trek

I am the thread's resident youngin', I didn't watch (and wasn't when born when) TNG in its original run and am not used to low production values. That being said it was probably my too high expectations.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Mister Kingdom posted:

The world just wasn't ready for a rape-gang-hardened female head of security.

Maybe we're looking at this from the wrong angle.

Maybe she wasn't running from the rape gangs.

Maybe she was running the rape gangs.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Writer Cath posted:

Glass ceiling? Hardly. Sexism is over, Federailures :smug:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Writer Cath posted:

Maybe we're looking at this from the wrong angle.

Maybe she wasn't running from the rape gangs.

That would explain what she did to Data.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Oh, come on now. How would the youth of America have learned about drugs without Tasha Yar to lecture Wesley the audience?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Uh, the same way I did? My aunt being a methhead?

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

Bicyclops posted:

Oh, come on now. How would the youth of America have learned about drugs without Tasha Yar to lecture Wesley the audience?

by watching TNG 4x20, qpid!

(In which the crew all get blazed as gently caress and play Robin Hood)

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I have a feeling that if we assembled all the good episodes of Voyager together, we'd have a season's worth of episodes and we could tell people who want to watch Voyager to watch these episodes in order instead. We should compile a list of these and pretend that Voyager was just a 1-season show!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Farecoal posted:

The Federation is a utopia, exactly as it appears to be, only interested in pursuing peaceful relations with other species, never attacking, people who hate replicators and transporters are stodgy, weird Luddites, the Maquis are dumb and whiny space terrorists, and any contradictions of this are due to the shows' limited budgets and the fact that they were made in the 60s/80s/90s.

There, I said it apropos of nothing :colbert:

Farecoal for thread president!

Farecoal posted:

Impeach the bastard! :argh:

• Locked thread