Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Regarding ebay/paypal/scams

A common scam people would do is buy an iPhone off ebay, claim the item was not as described, and do a chargeback with their credit card company, and they would get their money back, AND keep the phone.

Is this still their policy? And I don't understand why they are allowed to keep the item that they were refunded in full for. That does not make sense to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

ChocNitty posted:

Regarding ebay/paypal/scams

A common scam people would do is buy an iPhone off ebay, claim the item was not as described, and do a chargeback with their credit card company, and they would get their money back, AND keep the phone.

Is this still their policy? And I don't understand why they are allowed to keep the item that they were refunded in full for. That does not make sense to me.

Yeah it's still their policy. They are heavily on the buyer's side. I don't even think they have to prove the phone or item doesn't work or is busted.

I don't even think you are respond to negative ebay feedback as a seller anymore too.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
My grandpa has cancer and I want to shave my head in support of him when I visit, though I've never done it before. Any tips on not turning my scalp into a blood fountain?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Buy some cheap electric clippers if you don't own some already and shave all your hair off with that. Then, if you want to get rid of the remaining stubble, electric beard trimmers work pretty well. Maybe get someone to help you if you need to use an actual razor because that poo poo is tricky and I cut the hell out of myself the one time I tried.

e: Sorry to hear about your grandpa. :(

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
This is probably a REALLY stupid question. I saw Gravity in 3D at the theater last night and they give you the 3d glasses to wear you know. My friend was like, "Wearing 3D glasses sucks when you wear glasses anyway (essentially you have to wear them on top of your normal glasses), why can't they just put one big sheet of 3D glasses plastic in front of the screen?"

So... would that really work?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
No, because you need each eye to see a different image to get the 3D effect, so the lenses of 3D glasses have a different filter in each side. I'd be about as effective as using a single purple sheet of cellophane to see the old red/blue 3d images.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
Haha, duh. That makes sense :)

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

My grandpa has cancer and I want to shave my head in support of him when I visit, though I've never done it before. Any tips on not turning my scalp into a blood fountain?

Go to your local stripmall haircuttery and spend 9bux. Bonus points for finding a barber who will hot towel while he shaves with a straight razor.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

YggiDee posted:

No, because you need each eye to see a different image to get the 3D effect, so the lenses of 3D glasses have a different filter in each side. I'd be about as effective as using a single purple sheet of cellophane to see the old red/blue 3d images.

Why wouldn't he just pop out the lenses and put a thin line of tape around the frame area of his glasses to secure them--wouldn't that effectively work the same?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

c0ldfuse posted:

Why wouldn't he just pop out the lenses and put a thin line of tape around the frame area of his glasses to secure them--wouldn't that effectively work the same?

It should work yeah, I think you're onto something. Everyone who wears glasses should do this.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I'm moving on monday. My cats are giant neurotic babies. Are there any things I should do that aren't already on the million "Hot 6 Tips for Moving your Cat" guides?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Ask the cat thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3169030

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
could someone write out 3884 billion for me. thanks. - Anime Sandwich

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Anime Sandwich posted:

could someone write out 3884 billion for me. thanks. - Anime Sandwich

:confused:

Optimus Prime Ribs
Jul 25, 2007

c0ldfuse posted:

That would work, but the theatre people might be upset that you broke their 3D glasses.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

DNova posted:

thanks.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

DNova posted:

are you sure thats right though? im worried it might be wrong.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Anime Sandwich posted:

I checked on the internet before I posted it.

Optimus Prime Ribs
Jul 25, 2007

Anime Sandwich posted:

3884 billion means 3884 followed by nine zeroes, just like 1 billion means 1 followed by nine zeroes.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
ok. i believe you guys. thanks.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Would Plato consider an ice cube to be a different Form than water?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Some languages have different rules for the transition points.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Optimus Prime Ribs posted:

3884 billion means 3884 followed by nine zeroes, just like 1 billion means 1 followed by nine zeroes.

Isn't 1 follow by nine zeroes just a thousand million?

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

muike posted:

I'm moving on monday. My cats are giant neurotic babies. Are there any things I should do that aren't already on the million "Hot 6 Tips for Moving your Cat" guides?

http://www.feliway.com/uk/What-is-Feliway-and-where-to-buy/Feliway-Range/Feliway-Diffuser

It's a cat pheromone that helps calm them down. We have one kitty who's scared of just about everything so we were worried about our move and got one of these. We actually ended up temporarily at my fiance's parents house in between and this plug-in helped transition through all 3 places. I've never actually moved the cats without one, but based on how we expected her to react, this thing was absolutely worth it.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Crankit posted:

poo poo, you might be right about that.

Optimus Prime Ribs
Jul 25, 2007

Crankit posted:

Yes and no. One thousand million and one billion are the same number, so a 1 followed by nine zeroes isn't "just" a thousand million.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Optimus Prime Ribs posted:

Yes and no. One thousand million and one billion are the same number, so a 1 followed by nine zeroes isn't "just" a thousand million.

Are you sure because I thought a thousand million was a milliard?

Optimus Prime Ribs
Jul 25, 2007

Crankit posted:

Are you sure because I thought a thousand million was a milliard?

It is. Those are all the same number.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Maybe we should go to the math thread about this one guys.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

I don't wish to imply that you are culturally insensitive or even a stupid american, but the question asker asked in thousands of billions rather than trillions which implies he's using the long scale where a billion is a million million. Please check your white privilege if necessary.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Baron Porkface posted:

Would Plato consider an ice cube to be a different Form than water?

Yes. The Form is what causes us to recognize a thing as that kind of thing. Ice is formally solid, water is formally liquid. Ice is formally cold, whereas water might be coincidentally cold or coincidentally warm.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
guess i was wrong to trust you guys....

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I want to call AT&T to politely complain to them about how unusable my internet is that I'm paying out the rear end for just slow speeds. What department should I be asking for? I've been through technical support but whenever I have to tell the robot "Connection issues" it automatically assumes I have no internet access right that moment, which will either go "Well see you have internet access *hangs up*" or I feel bad lying passed the robot to get to a live person ready to help someone who doesn't have internet connection that moment.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Ularg posted:

I want to call AT&T to politely complain to them about how unusable my internet is that I'm paying out the rear end for just slow speeds. What department should I be asking for? I've been through technical support but whenever I have to tell the robot "Connection issues" it automatically assumes I have no internet access right that moment, which will either go "Well see you have internet access *hangs up*" or I feel bad lying passed the robot to get to a live person ready to help someone who doesn't have internet connection that moment.

It's difficult to answer this question without knowing what the other options are, but maybe complaints or customer support?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Tiggum posted:

It's difficult to answer this question without knowing what the other options are, but maybe complaints or customer support?

I wouldn't even know how to correctly call and ask for the department honestly. I've only ever called them twice and both times I just told the robot "Connection issues" then lied when it asked me "Can you connect to AT&T's website?"

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Anime Sandwich posted:

guess i was wrong to trust you guys....

Just out of curiosity, why were you asking?

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Ularg posted:

Never feel bad about taking advantage of a corporation. Especially Comcast. If you cause the customer support queue to grow, they'll just hire more support goons.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Gravity Pike posted:

Never feel bad about taking advantage of a corporation. Especially Comcast. If you cause the customer support queue to grow, they'll just hire more support goons.

Okay. I need to call them since me and my family have been a customer since 2005 and since 2012 the quality of my internet connection continues to degrade to the point of frustration and unusability. Even with a 6mbps connection

240p/360p Youtube ad before a video? Sorry, can't stream that without taking 30 seconds to buffer the next 10-15. You want to stream videos? Sorry. You want to play online video games? Sorry. Random and constant disconnections anywhere from a few seconds, just enough to kick me out of my video game server or VOIP client, or 10 minutes.

I've gotten actual mind-splitting migraines and depressive episodes from how absolutely crap my internet connection is. So I hope they don't continue to blow me off.

Not sure if I should call them out if they tell me again they don't support whatever router I am currently using.

I remember being able to stream music while playing on Xbox Live or online on my PC forever without any problems. Their stupid bandwith caps probably have something to do with this along with their refusal to replace the completely ancient ADSL copper lines.

Behold! A Elk!
May 12, 2009
I was doing some shopping today and I noticed something strange. Why does every shape of pasta have 16oz of pasta in the standard box but farfalle only has 12oz for most of the major brands?

edit: I'm sorry I wasn't thinking I should probably have put this in GWS

Behold! A Elk! fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Nov 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Ularg posted:

Okay. I need to call them since me and my family have been a customer since 2005 and since 2012 the quality of my internet connection continues to degrade to the point of frustration and unusability. Even with a 6mbps connection

240p/360p Youtube ad before a video? Sorry, can't stream that without taking 30 seconds to buffer the next 10-15. You want to stream videos? Sorry. You want to play online video games? Sorry. Random and constant disconnections anywhere from a few seconds, just enough to kick me out of my video game server or VOIP client, or 10 minutes.

I've gotten actual mind-splitting migraines and depressive episodes from how absolutely crap my internet connection is. So I hope they don't continue to blow me off.

Not sure if I should call them out if they tell me again they don't support whatever router I am currently using.

I remember being able to stream music while playing on Xbox Live or online on my PC forever without any problems. Their stupid bandwith caps probably have something to do with this along with their refusal to replace the completely ancient ADSL copper lines.

Take your cable modem in and exchange it for a new one.

Schweinhund fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Nov 1, 2013