Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
My girlfriend's design research firm is looking for Portland-area Android developers to interview. If you meet the criteria they'll pay you $250 to talk to them. If you're interested, PM or email me (isachs@gmail.com) and I'll put you in touch.

quote:

Empirical Research and Design (https://www.empiricalux.com) is looking for Android developers in the Portland area to participate in a PAID expert panel with a large technology company on Thursday, Oct. 10th from 11:00 am to 12:00 pm, and possibly on Friday, Oct. 11th from 2:00 – 3:30 pm. They are looking for passionate Android developers who spend a significant amount of time in both their personal and professional lives doing Android app development. Ideally they will meet most or all of the following criteria (there is some flexibility):

· They must spend a significant part of their day on Android app projects and have previous experience working on such projects.

· They must attend developer events, Android-related meetings, or hackathons regularly. (optional)

· They need to have experience either as a speaker or organizer of at least one such conference/event. (optional)

· They must actively participate in websites, online communities, and/or forums related to developing on a regular basis.

· They should be passionate about the work they do, and very interested in technology and software developments and trends.

· They should be able to clearly speak about this general topic area and portray a high level of knowledge, experience and expertise.

These developers aren’t just people who develop for their 9-5 job and that’s it. They should be passionate, forward-thinking, excited about new technologies, and be able to discuss big ideas for the future of Android.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Didn't see it mentioned in the OP, and it is relatively recent so I thought I'd ask here. Anyone using Android Studio? I made a full-fledged app for a client in about 4 days using it (only four activities though, splash, login, settings, and main), which was my first exposure to app development personally, though I've helped with assets for other people at work. Was surprisingly much much easier than I had expected, though the app itself isn't some crazy world beater or anything.

The only problem I'm having now is getting it to work with PhoneGap, though that's phone gap's stupid obscure everything renamed from Cordova's fault.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

It looks like there are a thousand XML parser classes in Java/Android.
Which one should I use.

Ideally anything approximating a C# style thing like this would be awesome

code:
DataSet ds= new DataSet();
ds.ReadXML("cat.xml");
DataTable table=ds.Tables[0];

Where the xml looks like

code:
<root>
<cat>
<name>SirMeow</name>
<color>Calico</color>
<sex>male</sex>
</cat>
</root>

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

TheReverend posted:

It looks like there are a thousand XML parser classes in Java/Android.
Which one should I use.

Ideally anything approximating a C# style thing like this would be awesome

I'm patria to Jackson for anything XML related in Java

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Chrome(/Firefox):

Webview, 'Browser':

:negative: a usable GeckoView can't come soon enough. Or ChromeView. I don't care, just gently caress WebView forever.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Anyone at Droidcon UK? PM me if you want to meet up! I'm the nerd wearing Glass.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
What would you do if you needed to give the user the ability to select, say, a particular method of input before entering something into an ActionBar SearchView? How would you design the UI? I'm in this situation right now and I haven't been able to come up with an elegant way of doing so that jives with the Holo design paradigm. The best I can think of is a checkable menu item, but I'm not sure how intuitive that would be.

IAmKale fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Oct 25, 2013

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Karthe posted:

What would you do if you needed to give the user the ability to select, say, a particular method of input before entering something into an ActionBar SearchView? How would you design the UI? I'm in this situation right now and I haven't been able to come up with an elegant way of doing so that jives with the Holo design paradigm. The best I can think of is a checkable menu item, but I'm not sure how intuitive that would be.

Saw this and your post on G+. I gotta say I agree with Paul Burke's response:

Paul Burke posted:

Another approach would be to use a secondary Action Bar (Top Bar*) with a Spinner to expose category selection. You could make it so that it only shows when the SearchView is expanded. Default the Spinner selection to "all", or if one must be selected, default to the most common category (or the last one selected).

* http://developer.android.com/design/patterns/actionbar.html#considerations-split-action-bars&%2365279;

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Glimm posted:

Saw this and your post on G+. I gotta say I agree with Paul Burke's response:
I should have been more clear there, I was trying to be clever and keep things generic instead of specific to my use case. :downs:

What I really need to do is allow users to toggle on or off an in-app IME that I'm implementing. As a split ActionBar is way overkill for this scenario, I'm thinking about implementing a checkable menu item.

IAmKale fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 25, 2013

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Karthe posted:

I should have been more clear there, I was trying to be clever and keep things generic instead of specific to my use case. :downs:

What I really need to do is allow users to toggle on or off an in-app IME that I'm implementing. As a split ActionBar is way overkill for this scenario, I'm thinking about implementing a checkable menu item.

Oh right I see, I skimmed and missed the crucial difference there - sorry!

DiabloStarCraft
Oct 12, 2006

What is there in this world that makes living worthwhile?"

CATS. CATS ARE NICE
🐱🐱🐱💀🐱🐱🐱
I have a horrible horrible problem. My boss is the sort of person that decides someone should be able to do something and then proceeds to tell them to do it, even if they're utterly incapable of doing it.

My boss has asked me to develop a simple Android application, that displays our webpage in a full screen window (with no navigation buttons since thats all internal), that automatically logs into the site, and ideally stops the user from exiting out of it.

The actual application will be being used sort of like those interactive mall maps they have.

He's asked me to do this even though I've never coded a thing in my life, and says "well just LEARN" when I tell him this. The things the app has to do are really simple but I have no idea where to start. Is there some sort of tutorial for building this sort of app, with no real coding knowlege at all? I'm a good learner, I'm just a bit lost. I see all these tutorials in the op but they all seem to have an assumption that you at least know a little bit of what the gently caress you're doing.

I've already found how to replace the launcher with this app, which should work for keeping people out of the OS reasons, but I don't know how to actually build the app bit.

edit: OK, so I got Android Studio, and have found http://world.episerver.com/Blogs/Allan-Thran/Dates/2011/4/Turning-a-mobile-web-app-into-a-native-Android-app/ which seems like it will work, so I'm going to have a stab at this and see what issues I run up against. One I can see is that there doesn't appear to be a way to store login info.

DiabloStarCraft fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Oct 26, 2013

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

DiabloStarCraft posted:

I have a horrible horrible problem. My boss is the sort of person that decides someone should be able to do something and then proceeds to tell them to do it, even if they're utterly incapable of doing it.

My boss has asked me to develop a simple Android application, that displays our webpage in a full screen window (with no navigation buttons since thats all internal), that automatically logs into the site, and ideally stops the user from exiting out of it.

The actual application will be being used sort of like those interactive mall maps they have.

Honestly the last part is the hardest. The industry term for it is Kiosk mode and for Android you'll need to hack around at a fairly low level. I found this for you though: https://thebitplague.wordpress.com/2013/04/05/kiosk-mode-on-the-nexus-7/ If you can do it in iOS it's a lot easier as Kiosk mode is a supported feature of Enterprise Apps.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
What's the best way to hard code in functionality that's available only when the app is running on a device on which I'm signed in? I can't buy my app's ad-disabling IAP on my phone because of Google's policy preventing authors from purchasing their own IAPs but I still want to get rid of ads on any device I might run the app on.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Karthe posted:

What's the best way to hard code in functionality that's available only when the app is running on a device on which I'm signed in? I can't buy my app's ad-disabling IAP on my phone because of Google's policy preventing authors from purchasing their own IAPs but I still want to get rid of ads on any device I might run the app on.

Run signed 'debug' builds without that functionality compiled in? For my game I sign with debuggable builds with the release keys all the time to test Google Play Services and whatnot.

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

So what if I'm not for the ever offended?
Need to upload an apk to play store. After trying to upload it I'm informed it needs to be signed. I make sure it is signed using keytool and jarsigner through Android Studio. Then I'm informed it needs to be zipaligned. I can't find such a feature in Android Studio, so after having found zipalign in the sdk, I do that manually using the signed apk as source. Now I'm again informed that it needs to be signed.

I updated to the newest version of Android Studio and that fixed it. Hadn't done it before, because the mac osx version I had, couldn't auto update due to a bug in that version.

Jarl fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Oct 29, 2013

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

MrBlandAverage posted:

My girlfriend's design research firm is looking for Portland-area Android developers to interview. If you meet the criteria they'll pay you $250 to talk to them. If you're interested, PM or email me (isachs@gmail.com) and I'll put you in touch.

I hope it's not considered spamming to post about this again, but my girlfriend's design research firm is now looking for Android developers to interview in Seattle on November 7th at either 5:30pm or 7pm. Same deal - $250 for 2 hours of your time. Contact me by PM or email as above. Same criteria:

quote:

They are looking for passionate Android developers who spend a significant amount of time in both their personal and professional lives doing Android app development. Ideally they will meet most or all of the following criteria (there is some flexibility):

· They must spend a significant part of their day on Android app projects and have previous experience working on such projects.

· They must attend developer events, Android-related meetings, or hackathons regularly. (optional)

· They need to have experience either as a speaker or organizer of at least one such conference/event. (optional)

· They must actively participate in websites, online communities, and/or forums related to developing on a regular basis.

· They should be passionate about the work they do, and very interested in technology and software developments and trends.

· They should be able to clearly speak about this general topic area and portray a high level of knowledge, experience and expertise.

These developers aren’t just people who develop for their 9-5 job and that’s it. They should be passionate, forward-thinking, excited about new technologies, and be able to discuss big ideas for the future of Android.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Release notes for KitKat: http://developer.android.com/about/versions/kitkat.html

Android 4.4 KitKat Quick Overview posted:

Looks like there are now some ways to check if an app is running on a low end device and adjust things accordingly.

New NFC support, HCE (Host Card Emulation) for mimicking loyalty cards etc.

Storage access framework, rolls Dropbox, Box, Drive, etc. type services into one app, and an API to allow you to create apps that integrate into that app.

Built in step counting a la Moves

An actual SMS/MMS provider API.

New full screen mode, looks really cool - let your app take over the entire screen and users can do a swipe gesture to bring the system UI back.

Major additions to the animation framework.

Translucent system UI a la iOS7 (your app can go under the status bar/into the navigation bar)

:siren: CHROMIUM BASED WEBVIEW :siren:

Screen recording API

IR blasting Service/API

New tools for analyzing memory

Android Design in Action, new stuff in 4.4:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QHkv-bSlds

What's new in Android 4.4:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sONcojECWXs

Playlist of a bunch of videos which go into specifics on many new APIs:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWz5rJ2EKKc-2quE-o0enpILZF3nBZg_K&feature=edit_ok

Check out the API diffs here:
http://developer.android.com/sdk/api_diff/19/changes.html

It feels like Christmas in here.

Glimm fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 31, 2013

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.
Yay, WebView will be less unusably bad now :toot: I anxiously await 2015 when 4.4 makes up 40% of the market

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Ulysses S. Grant posted:

Yay, WebView will be less unusably bad now :toot: I anxiously await 2015 when 4.4 makes up 40% of the market

Yeah, I'm wondering what the chances of this being backported are.

Waiting for 4.4 to drop in AOSP now, might shed some light on the feasibility of just that.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Sereri posted:

:negative: a usable GeckoView can't come soon enough. Or ChromeView. I don't care, just gently caress WebView forever.

Playing with it in the emulator as the N5 hasn't arrived yet and I'm not going to flash any lovely XDA roms on my personal phone.

Mostly consistent CSS, debuggable in Chrome, if someone'd tell me that it handles gifs in a sane way it'd make my day.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Oh my god, my company is working on a Android tablet and I must have android 4.4 for this project just for the screen recording capabilities. :allears:

Freakus
Oct 21, 2000
I've been tasked with writing an android app when I have no experience with android. I was looking at google cloud messaging (gcm) and had a couple of clarifications related to the code of their example usage of gcm at:
http://developer.android.com/google/gcm/client.html

1) The example only checks GooglePlayServicesUtil.isGooglePlayServicesAvailable in onCreate. It seems like one would want to check it in onResume though.

2) Presumably we need to check GooglePlayServicesUtil.isGooglePlayServicesAvailable in any activity we use them, not just the main activity.

3) With the code given, it seems like the usage of registerInBackground may cause a race condition: what if you attempt to use gcm.send before the asynctask finishes? Is there something about android that will ensure this never happens in the sample code?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The user can't (reasonably) uninstall Google Play Services so you don't need to check for it frequently. Once in the main activity's onCreate seems fine.

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"

Freakus posted:

I've been tasked with writing an android app when I have no experience with android. I was looking at google cloud messaging (gcm) and had a couple of clarifications related to the code of their example usage of gcm at:
http://developer.android.com/google/gcm/client.html

1) The example only checks GooglePlayServicesUtil.isGooglePlayServicesAvailable in onCreate. It seems like one would want to check it in onResume though.

Huh? From the sample:

code:
// You need to do the Play Services APK check here too.
@Override
protected void onResume() {
    super.onResume();
    checkPlayServices();
}
I can think of one use case where it's important to call it in onResume: If your activity checks for the existence of Play Services and doesn't find them, you can display a button that sends them to the Play Store to download it. When they return to your app, if it's been in the background this whole time, onCreate won't get called again, but onResume will. Then you can update the UI to let the user continue.

quote:

2) Presumably we need to check GooglePlayServicesUtil.isGooglePlayServicesAvailable in any activity we use them, not just the main activity.

Not every activity, just any that are an entry point into your application. If all your other activities are internal and only accessible starting from a main activity that checks for Play Services, you don't need to worry about doing it again there.

quote:

3) With the code given, it seems like the usage of registerInBackground may cause a race condition: what if you attempt to use gcm.send before the asynctask finishes? Is there something about android that will ensure this never happens in the sample code?

So make sure you don't call gcm.send before the task finishes. Break up your code so that you use the task's onPostExecute method as a "continuation" so that you only call it after you're sure it's ready.

Bondage
Jun 9, 2008

by Ralp
I'm still pretty new with Android, should I switch over from Eclipse to Android Studio?

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Is it possible to create a toolbar type app in android that will stay on the screen even if another app is currently on screen? I want to create a permanent overlay that will stay up on the phone all the time, if possible.

Is it correct that android pretty much runs one app at a time, but uses intents to create interactions between programs? Does that mean that this kind of thing won't work?

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Feral Integral posted:

Is it possible to create a toolbar type app in android that will stay on the screen even if another app is currently on screen? I want to create a permanent overlay that will stay up on the phone all the time, if possible.

Is it correct that android pretty much runs one app at a time, but uses intents to create interactions between programs? Does that mean that this kind of thing won't work?

This should work pretty well actually. A really popular example would be Facebook Messenger and its (in?)famous chatheads.

The accepted answer on this StackOverflow post goes into some detail on the how this is done:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15975988/what-apis-in-android-is-facebook-using-to-create-chat-heads

Glimm fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Nov 11, 2013

LSD Bunny
Jun 21, 2006

one morning i woke up in an alley~
I looked for a "small Android questions" thread and couldn't find one, can I ask a beginners question here?

I'm trying to draw a line with Canvas inside of a Fragment. A little research told me to extend the view class and override onDraw, then instantiate it inside of onCreateView, but when I run the larger program and view the fragment nothing shows up.

Here's what I have so far:

code:
package com.example.testing;

import android.app.Fragment;
import android.content.Context;
import android.graphics.Canvas;
import android.graphics.Color;
import android.graphics.Paint;
import android.os.Bundle;
import android.util.AttributeSet;
import android.view.LayoutInflater;
import android.view.View;
import android.view.ViewGroup;

public class LineTab extends Fragment 
{		

private class DrawView extends View {
		Paint paint = new Paint();

public DrawView(Context context) {
			super(context);
			paint.setColor(Color.BLACK);
		}
		public DrawView(Context context, AttributeSet attrs) {
			super(context, attrs);
		}
		public DrawView(Context context, AttributeSet attrs, int defStyle) {
			super(context, attrs, defStyle);
		}

@Override
		protected void onDraw(Canvas canvas) {
			canvas.drawLine(0, 0, 50, 50, paint);
			canvas.drawLine(50, 0, 0, 50, paint);
		}

@Override 
		protected void onMeasure(int widthMeasureSpec, int heightMeasureSpec){
			super.onMeasure(widthMeasureSpec, heightMeasureSpec);

int parentWidth = MeasureSpec.getSize(widthMeasureSpec);
			int parentHeight = MeasureSpec.getSize(heightMeasureSpec);
			this.setMeasuredDimension(parentWidth, parentHeight);
		}
	}	

@Override
	public View onCreateView(LayoutInflater inflater, ViewGroup container, Bundle savedInstanceState) {
		super.onCreateView(inflater, container, savedInstanceState);

return new DrawView(this.getActivity());
	}
}
Am I missing something obvious?

EDIT: here's the StackOverflow post I made that asks the same question: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19897672/draw-a-line-within-a-fragment-using-canvas-in-android

EDIT2: I forgot to override onMeasure and someone on SO told me to override all 3 constructors, so I added them here, but I'm still seeing nothing.

LSD Bunny fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Nov 11, 2013

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
Any reason you need this to be a private class inside your fragment? I've done something similar (custom view which draws on a canvas) recently. I just created a new view class, then threw that in a layout xml file like any other view. Seems to work fine.
And the only reason I did it by extending View rather than using a SurfaceHolder is that android 4.3 seems to have some sort of unresolved race condition with locking/unlocking a canvas in SurfaceHolder.

LSD Bunny
Jun 21, 2006

one morning i woke up in an alley~
I got it working, I was improperly (read: very stupidly) displaying the fragment within my activity. The code I posted is fine.

I was planning on moving things around to create a public class outside the fragment once I got this "hello world" under control, I just wanted the code I posted here to be as self-contained as possible.

Now, on to the actually hard stuff.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Any ideas what would cause this:

nimper posted:

I don't think this is supposed to happen.

According to him no changes to fonts were made and it reverted to normal upon restarting the app.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just made a new project in Android Studio and when I try to build I get this:

quote:

Gradle: Execution failed for task ':Magery:dexDebug'.
> Could not call IncrementalTask.taskAction() on task ':Magery:dexDebug'

I have no clue what that means. Can anyone help?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Sereri posted:

Any ideas what would cause this:

According to him no changes to fonts were made and it reverted to normal upon restarting the app.

Complete speculation, but it could be the text glyphs being pushed to the hardware rendering pipeline, but the stencil masks are getting lost along the way. They're all basic quads, the right colour and shape and position, so they just might not be getting composited properly.

If that's the case I'm not sure what you could do about it, it's an internal thing right? If it only happened once I'd chalk it up to a fun glitch

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

baka kaba posted:

Complete speculation, but it could be the text glyphs being pushed to the hardware rendering pipeline, but the stencil masks are getting lost along the way. They're all basic quads, the right colour and shape and position, so they just might not be getting composited properly.

If that's the case I'm not sure what you could do about it, it's an internal thing right? If it only happened once I'd chalk it up to a fun glitch

Yeah that's basically what I was thinking. I've actually seen this before but that was a good year ago.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Sereri posted:

Yeah that's basically what I was thinking. I've actually seen this before but that was a good year ago.

I blame Romain Guy. Coincidence he's moved to a different team? I think not!

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Has anyone messed around with audio manipulation on Android?
Looking for a library to do dumb stuff, like add echo or change pitch, for example.
The AudioEffect class seems to be a good start.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I'm trying to write an app that demonstrates the AOA protocol. I'm currently hung up on the tooling. I finally got the stupid demo imported to eclipse and it's showing errors. I think it's related to the first bullet of http://developer.android.com/tools/adk/adk.html "Running the DemoKit Android Application" which contains a link to "Install the Google APIs API Level 10 add-on library" that redirects me to a page to install "Set Up Google Play Services SDK". Are those the same thing? There's no text on either side explaining that it got renamed or anything, the http redirect is the only evidence I have that these two things are the same.

I'm stymied because halfway through the install it's having me select from 18 confusingly-named options, but "Google USB Driver" was already selected and the errors in the project are UsbManager and UsbAccessory. I've got two halves of documentation that don't even agree on the subject title so it's not clear what I need to do what I want. Have I stumbled into a generic android rant or does this specific issue have some clear docs somewhere?

edit: no longer have any questions about this part, still don't think "run the provided demo" is going to happen after a day of banging on it

JawnV6 fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 21, 2013

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

JawnV6 posted:

I'm stymied because halfway through the install it's having me select from 18 confusingly-named options, but "Google USB Driver" was already selected and the errors in the project are UsbManager and UsbAccessory.
What version of Android are you targeting? In the SDK Manager there should be a "Google APIs" item associated with the version of the SDK that you're using. Tick the box and have it install that, then make sure it is properly referenced within the project.

("Google USB Driver" is a set of device drivers used for debugging on Windows, it isn't what you're looking for.)

For example, if you're using 4.4, you'd want this one (apologies for the horrible image quality):

Edit: Also worth noting that if you're not targeting anything older than Honeycomb the APIs are included as standard now. You can just import android.hardware.usb.<class> directly, no need for the add-on APIs.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Nov 21, 2013

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Tunga posted:

Edit: Also worth noting that if you're not targeting anything older than Honeycomb the APIs are included as standard now. You can just import android.hardware.usb.<class> directly, no need for the add-on APIs.

Right, except they mucked around with the API so you can't just swap one for the other, code rewrites are required to get the instances. Documentation is still horrendously fractured and doesn't mention any of this. I got past that hiccup (and a couple dozen others) and now I'm stuck without an obvious path out.

It's all together and not obviously failing. By which I mean it won't recognize the accessory and offers no clues as to what's happening. It would be nice to debug this with something resembling a sane environment, but because I'm using the stupid USB plug to connect to the accessory I can't take the obvious route. I'm trying to decide between mucking with the firmware and exporting debug info on that interface or Toast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You can debug over TCPIP if it's helpful.

Start with the phone on USB debugging.

adb tcpip [port]
adb connect [IP]:[port]

Then you can disconnect the cable.