Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Finndo posted:

It definitely seems like everyone is more scared to speak up than they used to be, and a lot more is off-limits. It just feels weird and creepy when everyone is talking around a subject. I feel bad for the underlings who were brought up on the "anything goes so long as it's real" propaganda and are now having to talk out their asses like a White House Press Secretary about half the topics on the show.

Will and Jason were both big fans of the show before they got hired. I bet Jason in particular is a little down about it -- you might not like the guy, but he's a fantastic poo poo-stirrer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.

haljordan posted:

Think of how badly Sal was looked upon for making fun of Beth during a roast, where Artie's dead loving father was the subject of a thousand different jokes. Stern sure had no problem laughing out loud at those jokes.

He's always been a hypocrite, but at least the show used to sort of let him get called out about it. Now it almost feels like it must be at formal dinners in North Korea when Kim Jong Un lets one rip (you know he does all the time, too). Everyone just pretends it doesn't happen... laugh or gag at your own risk.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

prefect posted:

Will and Jason were both big fans of the show before they got hired. I bet Jason in particular is a little down about it -- you might not like the guy, but he's a fantastic poo poo-stirrer.

And thus we see why "Back Office Radio" was cancelled.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Finndo posted:

He's always been a hypocrite, but at least the show used to sort of let him get called out about it. Now it almost feels like it must be at formal dinners in North Korea when Kim Jong Un lets one rip (you know he does all the time, too). Everyone just pretends it doesn't happen... laugh or gag at your own risk.

Yeah, remember his "I PRANK! I DON'T GET PRANKED!!!" hissy fit?

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.

haljordan posted:

Yeah, remember his "I PRANK! I DON'T GET PRANKED!!!" hissy fit?

Was this when they tricked Steve Langford to come in early?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Finndo posted:

Richard Christy had a scratch on his arm, so he had a movie-makeup friend do him up to look like he had an infected wound. Howard threw his usual clean-freak fit about how horrible and dirty Richard must be, and then threw the "I PRANK" fit once it was revealed.

"You've been Richard Christy'd." :haw:

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

prefect posted:

Richard Christy had a scratch on his arm, so he had a movie-makeup friend do him up to look like he had an infected wound. Howard threw his usual clean-freak fit about how horrible and dirty Richard must be, and then threw the "I PRANK" fit once it was revealed.

The incident I was referring to was the one with Steve Langford, I didn't realize there were two.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

prefect posted:

Can someone find this bit cause I'm dying laughing remembering it.

e: nm found it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS6PwsnFmJ8

Tim Selaty Jr
May 16, 2011

by Pipski

Finndo posted:

I'm conflicted about that, because the prank was stupid, pointless, and had no punchline (and I think it was something that Scott & Ronnie came up with) on one hand, but on the other hand the "I PRANK" rant was the douchiest thing that has come out of anybody's mouth on radio ever probably

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmmrY47X9-4

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Tim Selaty Jr posted:

I'm conflicted about that, because the prank was stupid, pointless, and had no punchline (and I think it was something that Scott & Ronnie came up with) on one hand, but on the other hand the "I PRANK" rant was the douchiest thing that has come out of anybody's mouth on radio ever probably

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmmrY47X9-4

OK this is the one I was thinking of. Yeah it was a pretty mindless prank which made Howard's reaction that much more douchey. It's not like they took his megaphone and jammed it up Sal's rear end.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

I think people should insult Benjys girlfriend more often because it's the only time where he breaks through his shtick.

edit: lol howardTV lol

OG KUSH BLUNTS fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 31, 2013

Chicago Death Rate
Jul 23, 2001

by Ralp
For some reason I actually like Benjy and I love it when he gets the chance to freak on Robin. The thing I always like is when Fred freaks out. I really hope there will be an intense and crazy falling out between him and the rest of the crew because Fred has just been observing these morons for too many years to not harbor a lot of poo poo towards them. Fred and Richard are literally my favorite people to hear on the show.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
I enjoyed the bit this week where a caller asked Howard when the last time he had a meaningful conversation with Fred was. Apparently it was when they were both trapped in a blizzard sometime around 1983.

Also I really don't get the sense that a lot of things are "off limits". Callers poo poo on Howard schilling NSAL all the time.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

CortezFantastic posted:

Can someone find this bit cause I'm dying laughing remembering it.

e: nm found it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS6PwsnFmJ8

Okay, I was wrong about that being the "I PRANK!" incident, but it's still excellent. Richard. :allears:

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Holy Calamity! posted:

Also I really don't get the sense that a lot of things are "off limits". Callers poo poo on Howard schilling NSAL all the time.

There's completely off limits ("Zoo Za Zoo"), and then there's the topics off limits where Howard will avoid the discussion, much like the caller this week who asked when Artie would come in.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

There was a time when his wife's miscarriage wasn't off limits. Things have certainly changed although I don't blame him really.

Chicago Death Rate
Jul 23, 2001

by Ralp
As has been stated a lot in this thread Howard is really trying to distance himself from smut as much as possible so he can one day get his own show on late night TV. Spike TV will try and jump into the late night scene much like Conan on TBS. Howard will be on it.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
Richard pouring beer down his rear end in a top hat, get my grandpa laid and hot mother daughter contest kinda conflict with that.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Holy Calamity! posted:

Richard pouring beer down his rear end in a top hat, get my grandpa laid and hot mother daughter contest kinda conflict with that.

When was the last time Howard groped a naked lady in the studio?

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I think that's more due to Beth than anything else.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

He must've really hated Allison then, because back in the day they would have chicks come into the studio and get topless so the guys could paint their breasts. Howard justified it by using a cotton ball to apply the paint ("It's not cheating if I'm not touching her!").

haljordan fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Oct 31, 2013

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

And that marriage failed... maybe he didn't want to make the same mistakes twice?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

EngineerJoe posted:

And that marriage failed... maybe he didn't want to make the same mistakes twice?

But when the divorce became public, he insisted that it was because he spent too much time focusing on his career.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Focusing on his career also includes grabbing strange boobies at work.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Holy Calamity! posted:

Speaking of which, how drunk do you think Richard is right now?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

-Atom- posted:

Speaking of which, how drunk do you think Richard is right now?

*You like listening to me piss you sexy bitch? I know you love it...you bitch*

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

Sand Monster posted:

It's obvious to me she isn't in the studio and they're handling it the same way they used to which is to pretend that she's in the studio. I don't know, I guess I'm not going to be able to provide conclusion evidence. You should look up the incident I mentioned because I think you'll understand that it's different from the example you gave.

You are absolutely mental.

The difference in the quality of the show between Robin being in-studio, and Robin on an ISDN line is monumental, and that alone can tell you she's there.

(Not to mention that she's actually interacting people people again, and you know, Captain Dennis came on to talk about being her servant.)

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
I find the whole golden shower fetish utterly repulsive and near vomit-inducing but I die laughing every time they bring it up around Sal and someone like Richard mentions some websites like Dr. Piss which, for some reason, is hysterical to me.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Manifest posted:

You are absolutely mental.

The difference in the quality of the show between Robin being in-studio, and Robin on an ISDN line is monumental, and that alone can tell you she's there.

(Not to mention that she's actually interacting people people again, and you know, Captain Dennis came on to talk about being her servant.)

I don't disagree that she's been in the studio occasionally, but I contend that it's rare and that she's back on the ISDN line the majority of the time. And the original question I posed is, why are they back to pretending that she's in the studio when she isn't? After all, we have been told over and over, "no more bullshit".

Did you listen to the incident I mentioned, though? That was just one example, but in it, it's clear to me that she was not in the studio that day. Her booth is in Howard's line of sight, and he wouldn't sit there waiting for her to respond with 5 seconds of dead air before moving on.

I realize I am more "Dawg's Saloon" than most here, but I don't think I'm mental with this, either.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
The real Robin died in a car accident in 1993

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world

Crotch Bat posted:

I find the whole golden shower fetish utterly repulsive and near vomit-inducing but I die laughing every time they bring it up around Sal and someone like Richard mentions some websites like Dr. Piss which, for some reason, is hysterical to me.

Oh god this just reminded me about his "I Pissed on a girl" song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HxVD5YRGIk

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Ether Frenzy posted:

The real Robin died in a car accident in 1993

Who's Robin? I'm High Pitch.

Mike Tahoe
May 21, 2007

He knows what it means.

Sand Monster posted:

I don't disagree that she's been in the studio occasionally, but I contend that it's rare and that she's back on the ISDN line the majority of the time. And the original question I posed is, why are they back to pretending that she's in the studio when she isn't? After all, we have been told over and over, "no more bullshit".

Did you listen to the incident I mentioned, though? That was just one example, but in it, it's clear to me that she was not in the studio that day. Her booth is in Howard's line of sight, and he wouldn't sit there waiting for her to respond with 5 seconds of dead air before moving on.

I realize I am more "Dawg's Saloon" than most here, but I don't think I'm mental with this, either.

I've also thought that there have been ISDN days for Robin since her return to the studio. I figured that maybe the extra workload/stress from her media appearances zapped her energy, and she was calling in again because she needed a little extra rest.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

prefect posted:

When was the last time Howard groped a naked lady in the studio?

I'm almost 100% sure it was 2000's "Painting o' the Green", which is entirely coincidental with when Howard began dating Beth. The timing matches up with his post-separation trip to the Bahamas, into nailing Robin Givens and that red-headed model from Bordello of Blood, the painting bit, and then into when he began dating Beth.

The above written is the nerdiest thing I've ever been a part of since I argued with Dickeye about the relative artistic merits of Green Arrow vs. Venom on these very forums, followed closely by the time when I was 18 and I almost got into a drunken bar fight with a guy about whether Tom Bombadil should have been removed from the LOTR movies or not (I said he should have been, I was right, and I'm not ashamed).

Ignoring all of that for a moment, can someone explain the Groundhog Brothers to me? It's a weird blind spot for me as a super fan since '97 or '98, but I've never heard or seen a single appearance by them. As far as I can tell, they're two retarded guys who sing karaoke. Were they funny at all, because it sure sounds like a recipe for magic.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Dear Holocaust survivors,

Cheer up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kI0aFrWI1FE

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

DangerDummy! posted:

I'm almost 100% sure it was 2000's "Painting o' the Green", which is entirely coincidental with when Howard began dating Beth. The timing matches up with his post-separation trip to the Bahamas, into nailing Robin Givens and that red-headed model from Bordello of Blood, the painting bit, and then into when he began dating Beth.

At one point, Howard was talking about how good Beth is at remembering anniversaries and things like that, and how they'd just had their Xth (I forget the actual number) anniversary of dating each other. If that anniversary was to be believed, they started about six months before the Stern divorce was announced.

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

I'm all about meeting girls. I'm all about meeting guys.

How does one even come up with the phrase "self-estytle"? Evil Dave is the best.

perfect posted:

At one point, Howard was talking about how good Beth is at remembering anniversaries and things like that, and how they'd just had their Xth (I forget the actual number) anniversary of dating each other. If that anniversary was to be believed, they started about six months before the Stern divorce was announced.

I thought the divorce was announced in October of 1997 or 1998?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

musclecoder posted:

End of October in 1999.

http://www.marksfriggin.com/news99/10-25-99.htm

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

musclecoder posted:

How does one even come up with the phrase "self-estytle"? Evil Dave is the best.

No way, 97' - 98' was the HEIGHT of the "Hollywood Stern" era.

Jackie was there the day Howard announced it, I remember him being SO completely stunned by the news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Here's the whole show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJj9z0cdEY8