Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

DynamicSloth posted:

Which isn't going to offer much help against Hillary in a Primary.

Hillary finished third in Iowa in 2008. She is quite beatable there if the stars align correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

jeffersonlives posted:

Hillary finished third in Iowa in 2008. She is quite beatable there if the stars align correctly.

Against anybody but the guy who got less than 1% of the vote there in his marginally more successful Presidential bid that might be valid spin.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

DynamicSloth posted:

Against anybody but the guy who got less than 1% of the vote there in his marginally more successful Presidential bid that might be valid spin.

Biden raised a little over $8m in 2008. He'll be in the high eight or low nine figures in the primaries if he runs in 2016. Do you see the difference yet?

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy
I'm also guessing Biden is going to have a lot easier time getting Iowa voters familiar with him what with having been VP for 8 years too. I'm skeptical that he can really compete at th same level as Hilary but to write him off as a candidate is silly. He's a strong candidate at this point and if Hilary weren't a factor here we might be talking about him like we do about Hilary now.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

jeffersonlives posted:

Biden raised a little over $8m in 2008. He'll be in the high eight or low nine figures in the primaries if he runs in 2016. Do you see the difference yet?
Money doesn't make you a better retail politician, nor does being 72 years old.

I also wouldn't assume Biden is going to be as good a fundraiser as Obama or Clinton just because that's the new normal, good fundraisers become nominees not the other way around.

Clinton's already out-raising and out organizing Biden today without being half as ostentatious about her candidacy.

JoeCL posted:

I'm also guessing Biden is going to have a lot easier time getting Iowa voters familiar with him what with having been VP for 8 years too. I'm skeptical that he can really compete at th same level as Hilary but to write him off as a candidate is silly. He's a strong candidate at this point and if Hilary weren't a factor here we might be talking about him like we do about Hilary now.

I didn't write him off, if he want's to run again he'll have a very respectable Bradley level campaign but I take serious issue with the notion that he's the best retail politician in the party.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

DynamicSloth posted:

Yes, and he'd be up against one of those same candidates again. Joe Biden spent 95% of the year preceding his dropping out of the race losing (badly) to Hillary Clinton.

As others have pointed out, the reality of the 2008 Democratic field was that the majority of the media spotlight went to Former First Lady Hillary Clinton, Former VP Candidate John Edwards, and Rising Star of the Party Barack Obama. Because those candidates came in and sort of automatically dominated the media spotlight just by the nature of who they are and how they fit into the media narrative. So it's hard for someone like Biden or Dodd or Richardson to get any free media attention, which makes it really hard to fundraise or raise awareness.

This time, however, by virtue of being VP and there being a relative dearth of other top tier candidates he's likely to start out getting a large share of the spotlight, which can help propel fundraising.

I still think he's a long-shot to beat Hillary though.

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

"virgin no more! virgin no more!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob

Chantilly Say posted:

I was talking to someone about the Democratic prospects for 2016 and after we agreed that Hillary was the strongest contender for the top of the ticket we both realized we didn't really know who she would pick for VP in the event of her nomination. Has there been much speculation on who the strong prospects for that would be, or will we just not know enough until we see who performs well in the primary?

I don't know about anyone else, but a Clinton/Castro ticket sounds really plausible to me.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
For best results, don't announce which Castro, and then switch them out every once in a while to keep people on their toes.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

crowfeathers posted:

For best results, don't announce which Castro, and then switch them out every once in a while to keep people on their toes.

I can already see the Fwd: Fwd: Fwd: Hillary to sneak in fellow communist Raul Castro as VP?!?!? emails being written.

e: Alternatively, one could say that may not be the best idea since a similar thing may have lost Julian the mayoral election in 2005.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Oct 31, 2013

Urban Space Cowboy
Feb 15, 2009

All these Coyote avatars...they make me nervous...like somebody's pulling a prank on the entire forum! :tinfoil:
Continuing with Wikipediagate, a journalist asks Rand Paul about the plagiarism allegations and he spouts nonsense about citing the movies themselves (and not, y'know, the Wikipedia text he lifted), about how speeches don't have footnotes, about having several writers contribute to his speeches (which suggests he doesn't do a good enough job of going over them), and about how Rachel Maddow is a hater. Oh, Aqua Buddha, you are almost as bad at rear end-covering as your old man is. :allears:

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think anybody questions that Ted Cruz is going to run in 2016 and being elected to Senate just gave him a two year head start on campaigning for the job. David Corn at Mother Jones has this article today that says if you want to understand Cruz's politics then all you have to do is listen to his dad, Rafael Cruz. The article is a compilation of Rafael Cruz's greatest hits from his speeches and appearances over the past couple of years and paints a picture of an evangelical dominionist and historical revisionist.

quote:

At the least, Cruz ought to have to explain whether he shares the more extreme views of his No. 1 surrogate. Asked to comment on Rafael Cruz's remarks—particularly his statement that the United States is a "Christian nation" and his call for Obama to be shipped back to Kenya—Sen. Cruz's office requested citations for these quotes. After receiving the citations, Sean Rushton, a spokesperson for Cruz, replied, "These selective quotes, taken out of context, mischaracterize the substance of Pastor Cruz's message. Like many Americans, he feels America is on the wrong track." Rushton added, "Pastor Cruz does not speak for the senator."

"People here are trying to figure out Ted Cruz," a Democratic senator recently told me. "And a lot of them are saying, 'He went to Princeton, Harvard Law—he doesn't really believe what he says.' But I think he does. All you have to do is look at his father. So much of our life is mirroring. And Ted Cruz is mirroring his father."

Corn's story follows an August, 2013, story done by Robert Costa at National Review on the elder Cruz. I think it's interesting that these two stories from different political view points both paint a picture of Ted Cruz being so dependent on his dad as a political surrogate, especially this far out from 2016.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Adar posted:

e: that said there's definitely a chance that Hillary and Joe wind up in a room one day soon and the first person to walk out of it is the only one to run. It's just that there is also a significant chance the other will be dead.
I'm picturing the classic Fredric Brown story "Arena", only with those two.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Joementum posted:

Of those people, only Al Gore ran a primary campaign.

I would've voted for you :(

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Zero_Grade posted:

I'm picturing the classic Fredric Brown story "Arena", only with those two.

Biden is clearly the one that builds the catapult because I don't think Hillary knows how to play dead.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Jokes aside, Biden and Clinton are close enough that they're absolutely going to sit in a room and try to figure things out (the first meeting towards this goal has already happened), but I'm really skeptical that they're actually going to succeed unless one of them is physically or mentally just not up to it (which given their respective ages is quite possible, granted).

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

jeffersonlives posted:

Jokes aside, Biden and Clinton are close enough that they're absolutely going to sit in a room and try to figure things out (the first meeting towards this goal has already happened), but I'm really skeptical that they're actually going to succeed unless one of them is physically or mentally just not up to it (which given their respective ages is quite possible, granted).

Or Biden realizes he wants to actually be allowed to drive his cars again. (Secret service won't let him apparently)

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

jeffersonlives posted:

Each has recently made a couple oblique snipes at the other, which suggests to me they're both feeling out the seriousness of each other's intentions. Once they've got a better read, I suspect there will be a sit-down moment between them, possibly though not likely including Obama himself, in an attempt to avoid casting aside the (for now) inherent strengths of the Democratic party for 2016.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

jeffersonlives posted:

If the Presidency is one's life ambition (as it generally is), I've got to imagine it's pretty tough to sacrifice that for someone you're close to. I mean, that's the sort of sacrifice people usually only make for their spouse, child, or immediate family, right?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Each has recently made a couple oblique snipes at the other, which suggests to me they're both feeling out the seriousness of each other's intentions. Once they've got a better read, I suspect there will be a sit-down moment between them, possibly though not likely including Obama himself, in an attempt to avoid casting aside the (for now) inherent strengths of the Democratic party for 2016.

If it looks like the Tea Party will go full retard and force Republicans to nominate Ted Cruz or Rand Paul, I'd imagine that Democrats will do their best to quell anything that even smells like primary infighting.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Just gotta say again, if Biden accepts the vice president position again and the ticket wins, he'd make history as the first three term vice president ever.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Bodhidharma posted:

I don't know about anyone else, but a Clinton/Castro ticket sounds really plausible to me.
This has been speculated about before, but unfortunately, it's it not going to happen; Castro's said he's planning to stay as mayor of San Antonio for another term after the current one, which would keep him as mayor until 2017. I know I'll vote for him for another term as mayor if he runs, he got both Pre-K for SA and San Antonio's LGBT non-discrimination ordinance passed, I'm loving ecstatic at how he's been doing as mayor.

For proof, here's a tweet Castro wrote:
https://twitter.com/juliancastrotx/status/195664754616971265

Julian Castro posted:

@Rivardreport That's an easy one, Bob. I'll be mayor through May 2017, if the voters will have me. Zero interest in Washington.
Now on the other hand, if you're talking about him running for president in 2024 :getin:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 31, 2013

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

fade5 posted:

This has been speculated about before, but unfortunately, it's it not going to happen; Castro's said he's planning to stay as mayor of San Antonio for another term after the current one, which would keep him as mayor until 2017.

You know he has a twin brother, right?

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx
Obama also said he wouldn't consider running for president until he'd served at least a full senate term.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

radical meme posted:

You know he has a twin brother, right?
Of course I do, Joaquin Castro's my Representative in Congress, I voted for him!:v:

When "Castro 2016" is brought up, it's because Julian (not Joaquin) gave that awesome speech at the 2012 Democratic convention; that's what catapulted him onto the national stage, and that's the Castro brother people are familiar with. Just because Joaquin is Julian's twin brother doesn't mean that Julian's fame will magically transfer to Joaquin; they're two separate people, with different desires and ambitions. Joaquin may not even want to be VP, he might be happy staying where he is. That said, they get my vote for whatever they're running for; as I noted I'm overjoyed at how they've done so far.

(Provided of course that the Texas Republicans don't gently caress me over in the future by re-districting me out of Joaquin's district; luckily, the area I live in is predominately Hispanic, so I'm probably safe.)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

On the other hand, ten years down the line we can have a Castro/Castro ticket and confuse everybody.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

crowfeathers posted:

On the other hand, ten years down the line we can have a Castro/Castro ticket and confuse everybody.

And 10 years is also around the time Texas turns blue because of demographics. :getin:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
Oh, one more thing to note: Joaquin Castro's district TX-20 was held by Henry B. González (D) from 1961-1999, and then by Henry's son Charlie Gonzalez (D) from 1999-2013. Charlie retired rather than run again, which let Joaquin win the District with no real opposition.

This is actually tangentially related another clusterfuck: Lloyd Doggett's (D) old distinct, TX-25, was re-redistricted in 2012 to be heavily Republican by Perry, because Perry loving hates that Doggett is a very vocal Democrat and routinely calls Perry out on his Republican bullshit. Rather than lose in TX-25, Doggett decided to run in the newly created TX-35, which stretches from Northeast Austin to Southeast San Antonio.

For a while it looked like it was going to be Joaquin Castro vs Lloyd Doggett for TX-35, which would mean the Republicans come out ahead: either Castro's up and coming status is squashed, or Perry wins and Doggett is no longer a Representative. Luckily, Charlie Gonzalez retired, which meant Joaquin won TX-20, and Doggett won TX-35. gently caress you Perry, Doggett won, and not only that, I can now claim Doggett as a San Antonio Representative.:getin:

For reference, here's TX-35, San Antonio is in Bexar county, and Austin is in Travis county:

Don't you love gerrymandering?:tizzy:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Fun fact: my representative also used to be Lloyd Doggett, but they gerrymandered a long strip right down my street into another district, so now it's some Republican rear end in a top hat I've literally never seen.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

AllanGordon posted:

If Hillary runs for the party nomination and no significant opposition pops up when would it be appropriate for her to announce her VP candidate? Also would there be any chance that Hillary would pick Warren for her VP?

Why would she want to kneecap what is likely to be a fruitful Senate career?

e: I really would like to see Warren run though, just to force Clinton to take a stance on financial regulation. A failed primary bid doesn't require her to give up her seat.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Game Change 2 does apparently confirm the longstanding rumor that the Obama team had the conversation about doing the 2012 Hillary to VP/Biden to SoS switch. They went so far as to focus group and poll on it.

eta: Also somewhat confirms a longstanding rumor that it was Jon Huntsman who leaked the Romney tax thing to Harry Reid, except it was Jon Huntsman Sr., not the one who ran for president.

oldfan fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Oct 31, 2013

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand

jeffersonlives posted:

Game Change 2 does apparently confirm the longstanding rumor that the Obama team had the conversation about doing the 2012 Hillary to VP/Biden to SoS switch. They went so far as to focus group and poll on it.

eta: Also somewhat confirms a longstanding rumor that it was Jon Huntsman who leaked the Romney tax thing to Harry Reid, except it was Jon Huntsman Sr., not the one who ran for president.

It also mentions this relevant-to-a-2016-campaign bit about Christie:

quote:

According to a memo on Mr. Christie from the vetting team, it had unanswered questions on a defamation lawsuit against the governor from earlier in his political career, on a Securities and Exchange Commission settlement involving Mr. Christie’s brother, on names and documentation of his household help, on information from his time as a securities industry lobbyist, and on his medical history. “The dossier on the Garden State governor’s background was littered with potential land mines,” the authors write.
So, could those tidbits harm Christie in 2016? They don't appear to be any worse on the surface than Romney's economic skeletons in 2012.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Doctor Candiru posted:

on names and documentation of his household help

I'm running for office, for Pete's sake, I can't have guys who also have illegals.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

jeffersonlives posted:

What's Huntsman's beef with Romney? Some local thing, personal loyalty to his son or Reid?

quote:

And while Mr. Huntsman was in Beijing, his wife was exchanging emails with his eventual consultant, trying to be discreet about their political plans by referring to her husband only with the code word “HE.”
:iiam:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

jeffersonlives posted:

Yeah I almost came in here to officially eat my words, but it was still pretty much an early idea where they concluded "this would be dumb" by the end of 2011, though.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Yeah I almost came in here to officially eat my words, but it was still pretty much an early idea where they concluded "this would be dumb" by the end of 2011, though.

The article seems to suggest it was Daley's idea, at least, without input from Obama. It may have been something Daley would have suggested to Obama had the numbers worked, but was quietly dropped when it didn't.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
Arkane's dad got some poo poo to answer for.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

serewit posted:

Elections bring out the best little memes :allears:

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

serewit posted:

Dude's a billionaire, isn't he? He ain't gotta answer to no one.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

What's Huntsman's beef with Romney? Some local thing, personal loyalty to his son or Reid?
:iiam:
Is Huntsman Mormon? I always thought a lot of that bad blood was intra-sect conflict.

I figured the reason that Romney never released his tax records was that they would show he'd been under-tithing to the church, which really pissed off Reid and Hunstman Sr. and Jr.

We never did see those records...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

The Huntsmans are close to Harry Reid and really dislike Mitt Romney, which is why many of the wild rear end guesses was one of the Huntsmans to begin with.

• Locked thread