Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Wark Say posted:

On the other hand, probably people are getting a little sick of Nisio Isin himself. Hell, didn't the Medaka Box anime basically bombed?

Medaka Box is a bit of a lame horse because interesting bits, the middle arcs with Kumagawa and the Minuses and the Not-Equals and the crazy meta-textual superpowers, are preceded by one of the most tediously generic and banal opening arcs I have ever forced myself to finish. You have to be really loving dedicated to like that manga. Did the anime ever even get that far?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The anime got right to Kumagawa's first scene, had a side-story about Kumagawa's past in the other school (which made no sense at all to the anime viewers), and then ended. Probably won't get continued, for obvious reasons. I don't think this really says anything about the viewers' tolerance for Nisio though, because the beginning is quite frankly pretty bad.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Comparing a sequel to the numbers of a first new series is a little off, isn't it? Very few new people are going to pick something up in the middle, and some of the people that bought it before are going to drop it. I mean, look at that chart. You've got five sequels, and four of those five are below the original. It's part and parcel of not doing new properties.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Einander posted:

Comparing a sequel to the numbers of a first new series is a little off, isn't it? Very few new people are going to pick something up in the middle, and some of the people that bought it before are going to drop it. I mean, look at that chart. You've got five sequels, and four of those five are below the original. It's part and parcel of not doing new properties.

The point is that it shows a trend of people dropping the series after each successive title. Obviously, the series is far from being in trouble, but the trend is showing that its on the way there.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

ViggyNash posted:

The point is that it shows a trend of people dropping the series after each successive title. Obviously, the series is far from being in trouble, but the trend is showing that its on the way there.

Yes, and the point is that this almost always happens.

No matter what the medium, no matter what the series. There are weird exceptions, but there's a reason I said "weird." Support for an author increases sales across their works, but sequels always, always decline. The hope is that the sequels also raise interest in the original and translate into new viewers across the series, but this is a hope and the decline is certain.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
I'm mostly worried it'll affect the budget of Kizumonogatari. ._.

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

darkgray posted:

I'm mostly worried it'll affect the budget of Kizumonogatari. ._.

Outside of the Madoka movie(s), this is Aniplex's title with the most income this year, so the budget they allot Shaft shouldn't be impacted. More than likely the budget they would allot for Kizu was set years back, so the performance of these discs don't matter for it. What's worrisome is that Aniplex is continuing to go to Shaft for projects without giving them a break for time-management, leading to higher potentials of series with worse quality like some Monogatari episodes have been.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
At least Shaft tried to give itself a buffer with the summary episodes, so there isn't much chance of an episode going bad this season.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just got to the end of the Nadeko Medusa arc and holy poo poo. :suspense: I've seen Japanese comments on Niconico and the like frequently refer to Nadeko as the "last boss", but I always figured it was a figure of speech about her being the most pure moeblob compared to the rest of the cast that had detriments, like actually being interesting characters.

I didn't expect for it to mean that she would go full-on yandere, ascend to godhood, plot the murder of the rest of the cast, and set up a final showdown on graduation day where they could kill each other. :psyduck:

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Leading up to the next episode's airing this weekend, I'm curious as to what everyone's favorite OP across all of the *monogatari seasons is. Yes, this is in fact a very thinly-veiled attempt at getting people to listen to a lot of music.

Bake through Neko are the full versions of the songs hosted on my dropbox because I couldn't find consistent quality on youtube.

In order of airing, there's:

Bakemonogatari:
Stable Staple (Senjougahara)
Kaerimichi (Hachikuji)
Ambivalent World (Kanbaru)
Renai Circulation (Sengoku)
Super Sweet Nightmare (Tsubasa)

Nisemonogatari:
Futakotome (Senjougahara)
Marshmallow Justice (Karen)
Platinum Disco (Tsukihi)

Nekomonogatari (Black):
Perfect Slumbers (Tsubasa)

These're ripped from the episodes themselves, so they're not the full versions nor are they CD-quality. They're also quieter than the others because I'm an idiot and I forgot to do any volume balancing on them.

Monogatari Season 2:
Chocolate Insomnia (Tsubasa)
Happy Bite (Hachikuji)
MosoDelusion Express (Sengoku)

--

Personally, my favorite is Marshmallow Justice, but this season has some strong as hell contenders. I wasn't a big fan of Sengoku's first OP, but MosoDelusion Express is chill as gently caress.

Comedy option (but really, the only one):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-3pHsAIUy4

edit: gently caress this took a long time to put together what as my life become :smith:

Namnesor fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Nov 1, 2013

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Favorite song altogether would be Kimi no Monogatari Shiranai, but that's an ED I guess. I can't bring myself to like the other EDs very well because I keep comparing them to it in my head.

Delusion Express is probably my favorite OP, but to be fair half of the reason I like it so much is because of its parallel to Renai Circulation.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Hanekawa's from this season was really good, but I think my favorite is Platinum Disco if only for how catchy it is. Staple Stable is good too. Sengoku's this season was cool in that it's basically Renai Circulation in reverse, the actual OP I mean, not necessarily the song.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
My favorite is also Marshmallow Justice :3::respek::3:

There's just something about Eri Kitamura singing J-ska that is just awesome.

Sugar Sweet Nightmare is probably a close second.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Coughing Hobo posted:

Comedy option (but really, the only one):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-3pHsAIUy4

The obvious winner.

In all seriousness though, the original just makes me so giddy and happy because it's so dman adorable :3:. Definitely one of my favorites.

I do want to mention that the Nise- OPs themselves were probably the best of all the seasons, and their music was generally better than Bake.

I'll also join you guys on the Delusion Express as being one of my favorites.

At the end of the day, I'd have to say that Neko- Kuro's Perfect Slumbers wins my vote. That OP was by far my favorite.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 31, 2013

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
It'd be simpler to list which OPs I didn't care for than to list the OPs I did like. Chocolate Insomnia, Stable Staple and Super Sweet Nightmare are amongst the top ones I like, though Platinum Disco is definetly my favorite.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
My favorite used to be Platinum Disco, but now it's gotta be Moso Express. It's exactly my kind of music.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

ViggyNash posted:

Did you just compare the Monogatari series... to Homestuck? :confused:

e:VV I guess I can see what you mean with the baiting, though in Hussey's case it might be for his own sake because dear god are Homestuck fans insane.

Honestly, that's not too far off a comparison. Both of them make sprawling, half-mad works that gleefully pander to, deride and symbiotically leech off of the absolute worst parts of their respective modern niche subculture. They both also completely work in the cultural zeitgeist of said subculture; with "low art" being their ABCs in a very postmodern sort of way.

Hussie's prose doesn't make me want to punch him in the face, but nisiOisin didn't spawn Stuckers and has SHAFT doing amazingly fun visual design.

And Ren'ai Circulation will always be number one and the best.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I think Delusion Express might be my favorite or close to it, which makes sense cause it's everything Renai Circulation isn't and I didn't like the latter all that much :v:

Platinum Disco is pretty great too.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Stable Staple is probably my favorite as a song (and also video), but Sugar Sweet Nightmare edges it out as something to listen to because Yui Horie's voice hits all the right spots somewhere deep in my brain. Ambivalent World is pretty great, too. The first season OPs were the strongest in general, I think.

bubblegumbo0
Apr 24, 2008

我的機動戰士是個ヤンデレ!
This season's songs pale in comparison to the previous seasons, drat Kaerimichi and Renai Circulation were stuck in my head forever. Futakotome is my personal favorite followed by Marshmellow Justice.

bubblegumbo0 fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Nov 1, 2013

i300
Dec 30, 2012

There's something wrong with a 14-year old girl talking about all this sperm...
It's between Delusion Express and Perfect Slumbers for my favorite. Perfect Slumbers feels really different from most OPs. It's less of a standard JPOP song and instead more mellow and calm. It's so separate from the other OPs. Delusion Express also feels different in a way, but I can't put my finger on it. Both are pretty great.

Both of Senjougahara's OPs (Staple Stable & Futakotome), and Chocolate Insomnia are also pretty good.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
This episode is beautiful goddrat :stare: I'll bet SHAFT had a lot of fun being able to go nuts on detail.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
That episode was simultaneously the SHAFtiest and unSHAFTiest thing that has ever been. The entire flashback being one giant scrolling mural was brilliant. I really loved the light and shadow effects used during their actual conversations, too. That was just a really, really pretty episode of anime.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Shaft is incredibly good at making an episode where 90% of it is literally Shinobu monologuing so drat compelling :allears:

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
drat, reviving your only companion only for him to denounce you and kill himself in glorious fashion.

edit: This got me curious about what Araragi mentioned, apparently he also flew into the sun? I take it that's from Kizu?

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

HoneyBoy posted:

edit: This got me curious about what Araragi mentioned, apparently he also flew into the sun? I take it that's from Kizu?

Kizu spoilers obviously: There's nothing about "flying into the sun", it's more simply that vampires, as per the legend, are hurt and killed by sunlight. When Araragi first became a vampire he ran out into the daylight (not knowing what it would do to him) and started burning up and was unable to save himself, so Shinobu (though I guess at this point she's still Kiss-shot) jumped into the sun herself to pull him to safety.

Incidentally, this is sadly yet another episode that loses something if you haven't read Kizu beforehand. Throw another :argh: in Shaft's direction.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I can't wait for the blu-ray to come out because there are so any parts of this mural that would make amazing backgrounds.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That was way better than an ordinary flashback would have been. Sometimes SHAFT just knocks it out of the park like it ain't no thing. :golfclap:

i300
Dec 30, 2012

There's something wrong with a 14-year old girl talking about all this sperm...
Yeah, that was insane. I can't imagine how much time it took to draw all of that. I haven't read Kizu, so I'm probably missing a lot. It really sucks. I hope SHAFT get their act together and get it out in the spring.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.

Super Jay Mann posted:

Incidentally, this is sadly yet another episode that loses something if you haven't read Kizu beforehand. Throw another :argh: in Shaft's direction.

Luckily for me I had jury duty where I was stuck in a room all day last friday and was able to read kizu on my kindle. Still haven't finished yet but been liking it so far.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Gaen: still a joy to watch.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Absolutely, but Shinobu: still the best (part infinity)

Don't vorry.

Namnesor fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Nov 10, 2013

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I'm starting to suspect that Araragi maaaay have a very slight deviancy problem, but maybe it's just me! :v:

Gaen next episode makes me giddy. Also that waterfall scene was really pretty.

PrivRyan
Aug 3, 2012

This rock smells like stone.
Next ep needs more Hachikuji. We could all use more Hachikuji.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Super Jay Mann posted:

I'm starting to suspect that Araragi maaaay have a very slight deviancy problem, but maybe it's just me! :v:

Nothing slight about it. Whether intentional or unintentional, his actions are filled with deviance.

Though it's funny that everyone seemed to be antagonizing Shinobu.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

Arararabambaragi is socially and sexually deviant, but he is probably the least hosed up person next to the little vampire girl and the pansexual with the monkey's paw.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
All he wants to do is mack on some chicks, can you blame a brother?

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

You can blame a brother when he's the chicks' brother :v:

PrivRyan
Aug 3, 2012

This rock smells like stone.
He just wants some elementary school lovin'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

PrivRyan posted:

He just wants some elementary school lovin'.

Truly a loving embrace.

veekie fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 12, 2013

• Locked thread