Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I guess it's a dumb thing to argue about, since there is no definition (Katee Sackhoff has also been in movies either way), but I'd bet a whole lot more people these days know James Spader from Boston Legal than they do from Crash or Stargate or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Hakkesshu posted:

I guess it's a dumb thing to argue about, since there is no definition (Katee Sackhoff has also been in movies either way), but I'd bet a whole lot more people these days know James Spader from Boston Legal than they do from Crash or Stargate or whatever.

He should be known for the classic film Tuff Turf along with RDJ

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Actors have always moved from TV to movies and nowadays it goes both ways since TV quality has gone up dramatically. Saying someone is a bad actor just because they did/do some TV work is nearsighted since George Clooney was a "TV actor." Denzel Washington was a "TV actor." Bryan Cranston is a "TV actor" and according to Sir Anthony Hopkins "[His] performance as Walter White was the best acting I have seen - ever."

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

Actors have always moved from TV to movies and nowadays it goes both ways since TV quality has gone up dramatically. Saying someone is a bad actor just because they did/do some TV work is nearsighted since George Clooney was a "TV actor." Denzel Washington was a "TV actor." Bryan Cranston is a "TV actor" and according to Sir Anthony Hopkins "[His] performance as Walter White was the best acting I have seen - ever."

That wasn't my point, especially as I think TV is generally way loving better than movies these days. They probably still cost less money than Hollywood actors, though.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

bobkatt013 posted:

He should be known for the classic film Tuff Turf along with RDJ

Holy poo poo, TWO Tuff Turf references makes my day. I saw that movie in the theatre.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, I liked her in BSG, but she's not nearly good enough of an actor to stand alongside the Avengers cast. Honestly, I cannot think of someone who I'd like to see play Danvers

Jennifer Hale with a dye job. I don't care how unlikely it is, this must happen.

e:

Hakkesshu posted:

Then what do you call Guardians of the Galaxy? And, like, Ultron?

You mean the movie where they got Bradley Cooper, Benicio Del Toro and the female lead from one of the highest grossing movies ever?

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 31, 2013

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Charlize Theron was in Arrested Development. Someone hire that TV actress for Captain Marvel stat.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

boom boom boom posted:

Can Michele Rodriguez pull off blonde hair?

I can not see that working at all.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

boom boom boom posted:

They need someone who's cheap, sexy, reasonably actiony and punchy, and can hold her own as part of an ensemble cast with Robert Downey Jr, Samuel L. Jackson, and Paul Rudd.

John Byrne might have something to say about that.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

boom boom boom posted:

They need someone who's cheap, sexy, reasonably actiony and punchy, and can hold her own as part of an ensemble cast with Robert Downey Jr, Samuel L. Jackson, and Paul Rudd.

hahaha is this a serious recommendation? Rodriguez is the worst.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

404GoonNotFound posted:

Jennifer Hale with a dye job. I don't care how unlikely it is, this must happen.
Man now that makes me want to have Troy Baker to play a character, too bad Hawkeye is taken.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Here's 1970s Magneto. The colors are a bit toned down from the First Class version and I like the helmet better

DOFP

First Class

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

404GoonNotFound posted:

You mean the movie where they got Bradley Cooper, Benicio Del Toro and the female lead from one of the highest grossing movies ever?

What of the movies of Glenn Close filmography is considered "one of the highest grossing movies ever"?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

fatherboxx posted:

What of the movies of Glenn Close filmography is considered "one of the highest grossing movies ever"?

Her Zoe Saldana impersonation in Avatar.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Dacap posted:

Here's 1970s Magneto. The colors are a bit toned down from the First Class version and I like the helmet better

DOFP

First Class

Why does Magneto need what appears to be a kevlar chest piece?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

There isn't going to be a single Sentinel in this Days of the Future Past movie, is there?

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Crowetron posted:

Why does Magneto need what appears to be a kevlar chest piece?

Plastic bullets.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Lurdiak posted:

There isn't going to be a single Sentinel in this Days of the Future Past movie, is there?

Like half of their promotional material has been "wow look at these sentinels!!! gosh they are big and also robots". There's a whole fake Trask Industries website with stuff like this video on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92YBR9gEyYI

So it's pretty clear there's going to be Sentinels, both in the bleak future as well as likely the earliest ones showing up in the stuff in the past.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Nope,

not

a

single

one.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Dacap posted:

DOFP

First Class

As cheap as it looked in First Class I liked how colourful it was. I presume eventually the past X-Men are going to lose their yellow suits too.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

achillesforever6 posted:

Man now that makes me want to have Troy Baker to play a character, too bad Hawkeye is taken.

Yeah, he could be a dead-ringer for comic book Hawkeye. Get Ashley Johnson as Kate Bishop and I would totally see that movie.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Waterhaul posted:

As cheap as it looked in First Class I liked how colourful it was. I presume eventually the past X-Men are going to lose their yellow suits too.

I just really hope they improve the Beast makeup in the next one. Beast looked basically fine in X3, but in First Class that poo poo looked like a bad Halloween costume.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I'll never get over how perfect Kelsey Grammar was.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

I just really hope they improve the Beast makeup in the next one. Beast looked basically fine in X3, but in First Class that poo poo looked like a bad Halloween costume.

They've improved it. I'm still not sure why they went with Cat-Beast in First Class, this one is closer to the one from X3. Oddly enough though, there's been promo pics showing both this, human Beast and Cat-Beast in DOFP so it's possible he may undergo a temporary cure and retransformation. If you look at this pic his clothes are ripped as if he transformed like a werewolf.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, Thor 2 ruled. I'd probably put it in the top 3 Marvel films.

Went on a bit long, but it was just a ton of fun with some really creative art design and the final battle is probably the best action setpiece in any Marvel film. Also, it has Tom Hiddleston's finest performance yet. Chris Eccleston was great, too, even if the character wasn't very deep.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I really wanted to go and see it on Saturday but my dad and my brother both wanted to stay home and watch the rugby, so I had nobody to go with and ended up staying at home. :smith:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Metal Loaf posted:

I really wanted to go and see it on Saturday but my dad and my brother both wanted to stay home and watch the rugby, so I had nobody to go with and ended up staying at home. :smith:

You're a goon, go by yourself!

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Metal Loaf posted:

I was on this other forum where this one dude deperately wants Sarah Michelle Gellar to play Carol Danvers, I guess because of the whole Whedon connection. I'm not sure if it'd work.

Personally, I'd be pretty keen if it was the Monica Rambeau Captain Marvel and they were played by Gina Torres. :shrug:

No, because she's on hold until they make Nextwave, damnit.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

I'm starting to think Marvel films just get better the less SHIELD stuff they have in it because Thor 2 was a lot more fun then I expected it to be. It still has it's problems, it kind of meanders a bit in the middle and the villains are as generic as possible, but other than that it's a nice fun story. Suprisingly how much Portman put in as I was expecting her to phone it in for the first hour and the just die same with the ending though the reveal wasn't shocking it's surprising that they're bucking the Marvel trend and setting up Thor 3 rather than an Avengers/different film.

Also I do like how Thor 1 ended with it being a big deal that the Rainbow Bridge was destroyed and every subsequent film is just like "eh it's not really that important and is easily fixed".

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Waterhaul posted:

Also I do like how Thor 1 ended with it being a big deal that the Rainbow Bridge was destroyed and every subsequent film is just like "eh it's not really that important and is easily fixed".
Haha yeah. I just watched Thor 1 last night (for the first time since I saw it in the cinema), and the end is all "Oh no the Rainbow Bridge is destroyed", although Heimdall does say that "There is always a way", or whatever. I stuck on the first half of Avengers then, and Loki's line of "How much dark energy did the All-Father conjure up to bring you here?" just hand-waves it away.

In Thor 2, I was a little disappointed that the above line in Avengers didn't really have anything to do with the plot, but the whole thing of the Convergence was still pretty good.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
So basically instead of being really easy it's now a bit of a pain in the rear end without the bridge. Like highway construction.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

SirDan3k posted:

So basically instead of being really easy it's now a bit of a pain in the rear end without the bridge. Like highway construction.
In Thor 2, the Bifrost has been rebuilt.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

irlZaphod posted:

In Thor 2, the Bifrost has been rebuilt.

Yeah and even with that it's basically implied that it's been rebuilt for ages since Thor has been going around trying to bring peace to the nine realms for the last while.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I'm feeling good about this batch of Marvel flicks being less obnoxious about constantly reminding you that they exist in a metafranchise SEE ALL MOVIES because A. They've already got the hooks in and B. They have a TV show for that now. Looking forward to better films without that millstone on their necks.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

irlZaphod posted:

I stuck on the first half of Avengers then, and Loki's line of "How much dark energy did the All-Father conjure up to bring you here?" just hand-waves it away.
Apparently there was supposed to be a thing where they'd run out of dark energy in a pretty short time, limiting Thor's time on Earth, but that subplot got cut out and Loki's line is the only survivor of it.

tut
Nov 4, 2004

How Marvel Studios Is Redefining The Movie Franchise

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Mr. Maltose posted:

I'm feeling good about this batch of Marvel flicks being less obnoxious about constantly reminding you that they exist in a metafranchise SEE ALL MOVIES because A. They've already got the hooks in and B. They have a TV show for that now. Looking forward to better films without that millstone on their necks.

I think you'll get better films because, outside of GotG, most won't be origin stories. And if they are then the setting they take place in is already established.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

DFu4ever posted:

I think you'll get better films because, outside of GotG, most won't be origin stories. And if they are then the setting they take place in is already established.

It would be cool if they used the established francises to introduce new characters. Have Dr Strange Appear in Thor 3, Captain Marvel in Cap 3 etc.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

twistedmentat posted:

It would be cool if they used the established francises to introduce new characters. Have Dr Strange Appear in Thor 3, Captain Marvel in Cap 3 etc.

They did that for Coleson and Fury, but it is tough. You can really misfire if folks go to Thor and get the origins of Dr Strange, and if Strange's just doesn't work then his movie becomes a feature about a dull supporting character. Plus, to play the part you need someone who could anchor a movie, but doesn't mind being in a supporting role. Working folks into a TV show could work better, because it doesn't matter if one episode focuses on something weird, but I don't think movie folks like going back to TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

In the latest news, Hugh Jackman will literally be playing Wolverine forever at this point. I can't complain about that.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/11/james-mangold-hugh-jackman-sinking-claws-into-another-the-wolverine-film/

• Locked thread