Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Fenarisk posted:

And while developing for both would have been smarter, they did objectively go for the bigger market share/usage or tablets being iOS.
That's... debatable (in another thread!) but they're certainly leaving anywhere from just under/over half the potential market out in the cold. App kickstarters seem to do this universally, and it's one of the things I'll never understand.

But it's just stupid for an app that's intended to interact with other players.Anecdotal, sure, but does anyone outside of Apple Store / Google employees find situations where everybody's device is running the same OS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?
Update on Deadzone is out here.

It's very long so I won't copy paste. TL;DR:

- The hard plastic Enforcers should have been in the first shipment but the quality isn't good enough yet. Mantic are holding back on the hard plastics until the second wave and to make up for it in the meantime they're sending 5 of the current Warpath Restic Enforcers. The HP ones will still be coming (or additional restic ones if the quality still isn't good enough by wave 2) so the restic ones we're getting in wave 1 are free.

- The Marauder ripper suits lost some spare arms, but there has been an additional pyro (flamethrower) included to make up for it.

- The scenery works and is very much snap-fit. The connectors form very tight joins with the tiles so you've no need to worry about structural strength if you don't glue the tiles together. Demonstration video here.

- Delivery will start at the beginning of December. If you're coming to the Open Day on the 30th November (and if you backed Deadzone you have a free ticket which includes a grab bag of free minis) then you can arrange to pick up your order there.

Also this:

E: Replaced because hey I was a bit pissed off when I wrote it. What do you people think of this?

Daedleh fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 30, 2013

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

E: cool by me.

Fix fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 30, 2013

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?

Well I've taken out that paragraph now. I was pissed off at the initial batch of negative feedback following the update that addressed most of their concerns. Any opinions spouted were mine and NOT officially. I was interested to see what people here thought for my own interests, not official feedback.

Daedleh fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Oct 30, 2013

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

moths posted:

That's... debatable (in another thread!) but they're certainly leaving anywhere from just under/over half the potential market out in the cold. App kickstarters seem to do this universally, and it's one of the things I'll never understand.

But it's just stupid for an app that's intended to interact with other players.Anecdotal, sure, but does anyone outside of Apple Store / Google employees find situations where everybody's device is running the same OS?

I just don't understand how PC development is the $100,000 stretch goal. If you created something that looked that nice to play PbP games online I feel like it would be a big hit.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Misandu posted:

I just don't understand how PC development is the $100,000 stretch goal. If you created something that looked that nice to play PbP games online I feel like it would be a big hit.

I had a similar thought too. It seems much easier to sell this to a PC crowd and put android/iOS devices as a reward.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Daedleh posted:

Well I've taken out that paragraph now. I was pissed off at the initial batch of negative feedback following the update that addressed most of their concerns. Any opinions spouted were mine and NOT officially. I was interested to see what people here thought for my own interests, not official feedback.

I'm fine with everything that's happened now that they've actually explained it to us. Some people will whine at absolutely anything though. When they hate the Marauders, the Plague, the Rebs, being too GW, not being GW enough, that Dr. Simmonds isn't overly feminine, restic, hard plastic, not getting hard plastic they thought they were promised, delays, not delaying to get things right, having crossover rules with the Mars Attacks teams (ACK ACK!), showing fuzzy quick snapshots of sprues in the factory, not showing photos of the sprues as they leave the mold in the factory, I honestly why wonder why they even backed Deadzone play any wargames at all.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

This was posted in the Awful Kickstarters thread, but it's relevant here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/15857323/zombicide-storage-case

$90 for a cardboard box! $140 for a wooden case that's apparently only meant for one game that this guy has nothing to do with besides being a customer (is it even legal to namedrop Zombicide in this case?)! Also, the case is only $25 from a real store.

Oh, Kickstarter :allears:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Rivetwars Phase 1 is readying to ship November 16th! :woop:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Unwritten (That Myst based Fate Core adaptation) just announced their final stretch goal yesterday. If they reach $31,250, all the interior work of the book will be in full color. I really hope it makes it...I'm beyond stoked for a Myst pen-and-paper game and having it be super pretty is a nice bonus.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Wouldn't a Myst pen and paper setting be a lot like Planescape? Or did I misunderstand the teleportation stuff in the first game?

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

(is it even legal to namedrop Zombicide in this case?)

It's legal to make compatible stuff and talk about what it's compatible with - but you need to be careful about confusion, especially when dealing with established trademarks (and also images of product that's not yours). And he has absolutely not been careful. The title "ZOMBICIDE STORAGE CASE" is suicidal, especially without even a hint of clarification (ie. no *Zombicide is a registered trademark of BLAMMO, this product is not affiliated or endorsed...")

I'm not sure how tempting this one may have been for people, but cloudy legal forecast is another reason to steer clear.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

signalnoise posted:

Wouldn't a Myst pen and paper setting be a lot like Planescape? Or did I misunderstand the teleportation stuff in the first game?

I'm not overly familiar with the Planescape, but here's a quick-n-dirty Myst primer:

The D'ni people mastered the ability to write Descriptive Books that could be used to transport you to different worlds. Some believed that writing the book created the world, but in actuality they linked you a world matching what you wrote down. Due to the infinite nature of the universe, anything you could think of to write down exists somewhere out there; the act of writing makes a bridge to a world, not a world itself.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

signalnoise posted:

Not really, Planescape is pretty peculiar, mixing up groggy D&D afterlife canon, the victorian underworld, and the smuggest philosophy major clubs.

I wrote up a summary of it for the Planescape OP, naturally.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!
Wow just got an update from the Ogre kickstarter that said that Steve Jackson's house was destroyed in a flood.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

dvorak posted:

Wow just got an update from the Ogre kickstarter that said that Steve Jackson's house was destroyed in a flood.

God drat, flash floods man. That sucks :(

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Austin's been getting hit really hard by flash floods lately, this is the second big one in the last couple months.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Sometimes it seems like Texas is an incredibly hostile environment that only gets more hostile by the year.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

My Hillfolk stuff finally arrived. The books are gorgeous (except for the idiotic meme-type photo art in the first few sections of "Blood on the Snow" -- looks even worse than it did in the PDF), the deck of cards is pretty cool and the stones are great. I'm looking forward to reading it very much.

When they first announced that they'd be shipping after selling some copies at GenCon, I didn't really mind; it's good to have your new hotness at the biggest trade show of the year. Having it turn out to be 9 weeks and change after the GenCon is a bit irritating, but then I think of all the Kickstarters I've backed that are nowhere close to shipping, add to it the fact that even if I'd had it 9 weeks ago it's very unlikely I'd've played it yet, and everything's cool again.

I just wish Pelgrane could reprint Turjan's Tome. I printed out my PDF and am going to go and get it bound but it's just not the same. I lost my print copy when my garage flooded at my old apartment, along with some other RPG stuff. I was able to replace Yggsburgh pretty easily, and I had just gone down and gotten my copy of the Spherewalker Sourcebook a couple of weeks before the flood, but Turjan's Tome remains elusive and very, very expensive.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Captain Invictus posted:

Sometimes it seems like Texas is an incredibly hostile environment that only gets more hostile by the year.

And the weather is awful too. :rimshot:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

dvorak posted:

And I just got my Ogre Designer's Edition in the mail. which is gonna take awhile to assemble. Pretty sure you could use the thing as a raft or lifesaving device in an emergency. Looks like Steve's okay and in a hotel for the foreseeable future.

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Indolent Bastard posted:

And the weather is awful too. :rimshot:

All depends on what part of it you're in, I suppose. It's not as homogenous, in any sense, as people think.

More on-topic: I was browsing through kicktraq, as I do from time to time - one of the ways I learn about new projects as they are starting - and look what I discovered!

Call of Catthulhu "is the rules-light roleplaying game where all the characters are ordinary cats, opposing the Chaos Cults of the other Animal Gods," according to the project page. Sounds kind of cute, and I suppose they were just waiting for Halloween to toss something like this into the mix. Will have to check it out and see if I can dig up more info, but it looks like it quickly funded.

Gasperkun fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Nov 1, 2013

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

GrandpaPants posted:

This was posted in the Awful Kickstarters thread, but it's relevant here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/15857323/zombicide-storage-case

$90 for a cardboard box! $140 for a wooden case that's apparently only meant for one game that this guy has nothing to do with besides being a customer (is it even legal to namedrop Zombicide in this case?)! Also, the case is only $25 from a real store.

Oh, Kickstarter :allears:

And now it's down.

quote:

ZOMBICIDE STORAGE CASE (Canceled) is the subject of an intellectual property dispute and is currently unavailable.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

moths posted:

From what I understand, the reason comes down to money. All other things equal, developing for Android costs two to three times what developing for iOS costs. There's other figures out there about to what degree people are willing to pay for apps on the different platforms; all I have to say is, I can't fault them for leaving out Android for now.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Also, regardless of the specific cost for a given OS, developing multiplatform applications is almost always much harder than single-platform software, and maintaining multiplatform apps is another extra pain in the rear end.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

JackMann posted:

And now it's down.

Someone bought in for a dollar just to post a comment that it was blatantly a scam and linked to the same case for $23. The guy running the project actually stepped in and defended himself, saying someone had done the same for Dominion!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
My print copy of Hillfolk just arrived and it's absolutely gorgeous. I so couldn't believe the print tier was only $25 in the UK (I'm so used to $15-20 shipping costs) that I actually thought I'd only pledged for the PDFs, and so spent a frantic ten minutes trying to find out whether I'd bought a backup print copy and just forgotten it, or if I somehow had a mystery admirer who's eerily aware of my tastes in RPGs. :stare:

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Here's my kickstarter: Pirate World! It's an hour in, but has had an awesome response so far!

It's a sourcebook for Dungeon World/ Fate Core where you steal a ship, sail an ocean filled with lovecraftian monsters and flee from the law. It's filled to the brim with pretty unique content and should look beautiful too!

Here's the Kickstarter

I am SO EXCITED.

Here's what comes in the hardback, 180 page book with full page colour illustrations by a couple of awesome goons:

quote:

7+ classes. 6 completely new and one fan favourite: THE BRUTE! Each class has a third page too, filled with death moves, magic items, designer notes and space for describing your character in more depth.
tons of new races, from festering amphibs to massive crustaceans, and wonderful takes on the current races (soviet style dwarves, gunpowder-addicted goblins, volcano cultist lizardmen)
20+ BACKGROUNDS: a whole new system to customise your character from level 1 onwards. Now you're not just a Brute; you're a Brute Cultist, or a Necromantic Brute, or, perhaps scariest of all, a Cannibal Brute!
Beautiful illustrations+; both full page (Joseph Irizarry) and inset (Jonathan Choby). You can get a print of Joseph Irizarry's illustration separately, and they're stunning!
HIRELINGS: a total overhaul to the Dungeon World style. Hirelings are now unique creatures, with their own moves, personalities and styles. The book has a massive section on hirelings, and you can get your own character included!
LUNCHEON WORLD: A guide to streamlining Dungeon World so you can eat it over a sandwich, or play it online
And tons more+, including ship fighting, island discovery, brutal combat...

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Pleaded in 9 bucks of your weird digital moon money or whatever the gently caress. Good luck!

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!

The Supreme Court posted:

Here's my kickstarter: Pirate World! It's an hour in, but has had an awesome response so far!

It's a sourcebook for Dungeon World/ Fate Core where you steal a ship, sail an ocean filled with lovecraftian monsters and flee from the law. It's filled to the brim with pretty unique content and should look beautiful too!

Here's the Kickstarter

I am SO EXCITED.

Here's what comes in the hardback, 180 page book with full page colour illustrations by a couple of awesome goons:

Sent you a message on Kickstarter, but for clarification, is this book is also for FATE Core or will you be doing a separate run for FATE? All of your preview material is on DW and the Kickstarter only tangentially references FATE.

Someone bought in for a dollar just to post a comment that it was blatantly a scam and linked to the same case for $23. The guy running the project actually stepped in and defended himself, saying someone had done the same for Dominion!

I'm assuming others acted similarly to me and reported this project to Kickstarter as well. That poo poo doesn't fly, I hate predatory business practices.

SageNytell fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Nov 1, 2013

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

If only I was running a pirate-themed Dungeon World game.. oh, wait, I am! This looks awesome.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Here's the Kickstarter

I am SO EXCITED.

Do you know offhand when Kickstarter handles currency conversion? I ask because your pledge level says that the PDF level is approx $15 and kickstarter is telling me $17. Not a huge deal, I'm pledging either way, but it'd be nice to know how much I'm spending.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It won't do the currency exchange until you're actually charged.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Hrm...I question the wisdom of listing prices in dollars on the tier levels then. While the possibility is slight, if something wacky were to happen in world of currency exchange in the next 4 weeks, the prices listed may become completely inaccurate.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
It's a ballpark estimate. It'll be accurate to within a couple dollars. If it's not, everyone will have far, far bigger problems to deal with than the conversion on a kickstarter about pretending to be pirates.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
This looks pretty interesting...I'm tempted to back it for some cheap and easy Infinity terrain.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1621774283/battle-systemstm-sci-fi-modular-terrain

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

sail an ocean filled with lovecraftian monsters and flee from the law.

quote:

The Avatar, who calls their god into them and smites unbelievers

You have no idea how happy it makes me that Mares is officially supported :3:

I'm extremely interested in this. Not because of pirates specifically, but because of non-standard fantasy setting and Luncheon World. The way you handled the Pirate World PbP and how smoothly it ran was very inspiring.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Here is my friend's Kickstarter, Corporia:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/504288855/corporia-the-rpg-where-camelot-meets-corporate

It's an RPG about modern day knights. I have a preview copy, and the production quality is pretty sweet. It uses Stat+skill resolution, but there aren't a million dice to roll, and the actual resolution is at least somewhat unique. If you like cyberpunk or modern day+ roleplaying, this looks really fun.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

jivjov posted:

Do you know offhand when Kickstarter handles currency conversion? I ask because your pledge level says that the PDF level is approx $15 and kickstarter is telling me $17. Not a huge deal, I'm pledging either way, but it'd be nice to know how much I'm spending.

The $15 is just a ballpark, kickstarter will do their own conversion. When I wrote the kickstarter currency conversion was giving me $14 with change, I figured it'd be a nice surprise for US backers to pay marginally less than I'd quoted!

Cyphoderus posted:

You have no idea how happy it makes me that Mares is officially supported :3:

I'm extremely interested in this. Not because of pirates specifically, but because of non-standard fantasy setting and Luncheon World. The way you handled the Pirate World PbP and how smoothly it ran was very inspiring.
Thanks, that's very kind words! You guys served as one hell of an inspiration; it might be a year or so down the line, but this entire project has come together because I loved just how much brilliant stuff you all came up with. I'd love to include Mares as an NPC, or perhaps a hireling. I'll send you a message later today!

Going to figure out how much spare time I've got right now, I'd love to play or run another pirate DW game!

I'm really excited to release Luncheon World, though mainly because I'm filled with childish glee every time I see the name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

So I have recieved my Leviathan models after almost a year of production (I wanted them all together, so I didn't get the FIRST model when it came out alone). The leviathan mortis is mine, with the other model going to a friend, and I spent all of yesterday evening and today morning putting it together. It is REALLY COOL and I love its articulations. Have some pictures!

Solo

Next to an Ork Kommando

Next to an armless Stompa

... I'm totally gonna have to loot it for my orks.

• Locked thread