Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

xerxus posted:

He's played by David Nykl, aka Dr. Zelenka from Stargate Atlantis.

I love Canadian / Genre Actors.

This just blew my freaking mind.

I hope Sara sticks around for a while, I love what they're doing with her staff choreography and this week's teamup was just a joy to watch.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Nov 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eddain
May 6, 2007
My guess is Oliver organizes a ship breakout and the Russian dude gets him an in with the mob for the help.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

xerxus posted:

He's played by David Nykl, aka Dr. Zelenka from Stargate Atlantis.

I love Canadian / Genre Actors.

Holy crap I totally didn't notice behind that beard, that's awesome. Hope he shows up more.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Just started watching this show. My wife and I blitzed through season one and found ourselves up and 1 a.m. going "Is that it? Aren't there any more?"

We are really enjoying the series. The writers seem to really have a solid idea of what they want the show to be and where they want to go, storywise. After ten seasons of Clark's whining on Smallville it's a relief.

Felicity is my wife's favorite character. Emily Bett Rickards has really good comic timing. I love the little flubs/ double entendre she does. Also, Paul Blackthorne (Quentin Lance) has a face that looks like it was drawn by Neal Adams.

We need a sequence with Alex Kingston and Summer Glau so we can know who would win in a fight, River Song or River Tam.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Is that even a serious question? Pretty much any character Summer Glau has ever played could kick River Song's rear end.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Phylodox posted:

Is that even a serious question? Pretty much any character Summer Glau has ever played could kick River Song's rear end.

Did River Song ever even do anything other than smugly say "Spoilers!"?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Azhais posted:

Did River Song ever even do anything other than smugly say "Spoilers!"?

To her credit, her first act when when given access to a time machine was to immediately try to go kill Hitler.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
They're both terrible actresses so hopefully it would end in a double KO.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

XboxPants posted:

To her credit, her first act when when given access to a time machine was to immediately try to go kill Hitler.

Considering everyone knows how that ends up, I wouldn't count that as a 'credit.'

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Warmachine posted:

Considering everyone knows how that ends up, I wouldn't count that as a 'credit.'

We got this and it was worth it

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Whizbang posted:

They're both terrible actresses so hopefully it would end in a double KO.

River Song was a terrible character in a bad show played awfully, I don't think it's fair to dump all the blame on the chick who played her.
I'm not a huge fan of Summer Glau but she was good in the good parts of the Sarah Conner Chronicles. The part in the second season where Cameron first evinced emotion and breaks down begging for her life was genuinely affecting. I was affected.
Of course, She's not very good in Arrow, and the best the character she's playing can hope for is retroactive justification of her existence, so I dunno how to count that one.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
The Island is a magical place - Agent Coulson.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
I just want Jennifer Carpenter to show up for a meta 'Debra Morgan/Anton Briggs' reunion

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Kraps posted:

The Island is a magical place - Agent Coulson.

He can never know.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Warmachine posted:

The more screen time Sarah gets, the less relevant Laurel becomes. I'm pretty OK with that. Those two teaming up and kicking all the rear end forever would keep me watching. Every scene with Oliver and Sarah together this episode was a solid knock out.

This is so true - Laurel didn't bother me too much until this season, but now that her sister is here, being so reasonable and not being so bitchy to everyone who is trying to help her, it really highlights how obnoxious Laurel has become. Hell, it took less than one episode from them meeting face to face for them to start partnering up - with no Laurel-style drama, despite the fact that she's probably been through a lot worse than Laurel ever has and probably has more reasons to be unhappy with Ollie, I bet.

Future spoilers from interviews : if Laurel really does become the Black Canary and they kill off Sarah, that will really suck massively

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Nov 1, 2013

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I just discovered and marathoned this show. It's fantastic and John Barrowman was an incredible, bombastic villain.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Some Numbers posted:

I just discovered and marathoned this show. It's fantastic and John Barrowman was an incredible, bombastic villain.

:argh:BARROWMAN:argh:

He was great. As was Tommy :(

Who is the big villain this season? Is it the guy Laurel works for, who is secretly a criminal? Is it that business woman who controls half of Queen Consolidated? Is she even evil?

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Torrannor posted:

:argh:BARROWMAN:argh:

He was great. As was Tommy :(

Who is the big villain this season? Is it the guy Laurel works for, who is secretly a criminal? Is it that business woman who controls half of Queen Consolidated? Is she even evil?

The DA that Laurel works you're referring to is just some guy for Laurel's subplot. Summer Glau and Brother Blood are side villains. (Glau is a corporate villain, Brother Blood the criminal side). The main villain for this season is the League of Assassins, led by motherfucking Ra's Al Ghul. I don't know if we'll see Ra's himself in the flesh this season, but the League of Assassins itself is clearly the biggest threat and will be the main antagonists.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Oh wow, that's what I get for skipping the Laurel parts. So the DA and Brother Blood are not the same people? I am bad at telling actors apart :negative:

Edit: I forgot China White and Bronze Tiger (I could remember their names! :woop:)

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Nov 1, 2013

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

bbf2 posted:

The DA that Laurel works you're referring to is just some guy for Laurel's subplot. Summer Glau and Brother Blood are side villains. (Glau is a corporate villain, Brother Blood the criminal side). The main villain for this season is the League of Assassins, led by motherfucking Ra's Al Ghul. I don't know if we'll see Ra's himself in the flesh this season, but the League of Assassins itself is clearly the biggest threat and will be the main antagonists.

Yeah, I'm betting Ra's will be the final shot of the season.

Of course, I didn't expect to see Canary unmasked this soon, so what do I know :v:

The Libearian
Nov 24, 2007
Return your books or face mauling

Kwyndig posted:

Oh poo poo it's Brother Blood. Also what the hell was that? Are they injecting crooks with venom?

I thought it was just some variation of Vertigo? Wasn't it shown to be the same bright neon green as the stuff injected into the Mayor?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I suspect this season will be all about Brother Blood and Rochev, with the league of assassins remaining in the background of Sarah's plot arc, and as a bit of a cocktease. I suspect they're being set up to be a big thing next season.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

The Lord Bude posted:

I suspect this season will be all about Brother Blood and Rochev, with the league of assassins remaining in the background of Sarah's plot arc, and as a bit of a cocktease. I suspect they're being set up to be a big thing next season.

So then, taking this show's pacing into account, what you're saying is that Ollie will have defeated Ra's and replaced him as head of the league by midseason?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Son, just no.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So Black Canary hangs out in a clock tower, and I seem to recall that the Birds of Prey WB show had a clocktower HQ as well. Is that just an established thing or a coincidence.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
It's a one of those iconic thingies. The Birds of Prey -- specifically, Barbara Gordon ie Oracle -- operated mainly from her clocktower where she directed her various agents.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

It's a one of those iconic thingies. The Birds of Prey -- specifically, Barbara Gordon ie Oracle -- operated mainly from her clocktower where she directed her various agents.

That's what I thought. Once again this show proves it is expert at giving comics fans nice tidbits without alienating non-comics fans.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Also Chloe Sullivan in Smallville was basically Oracle and worked out of a clock tower.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TheManWithNoName posted:

Also Chloe Sullivan in Smallville was basically Oracle and worked out of a clock tower.

That was a twofer, as she was also kind of in charge of the Justice League, which often has a Watchtower.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I know people here have been pretty excited about the Canary stuff, and I wanted to point out that it seems like Caity Lotz has much better chemistry with Amell than Katie Cassidy.

Or maybe its just the kick rear end action sequences.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

That was a twofer, as she was also kind of in charge of the Justice League, which often has a Watchtower.

And Watchtower ended up being her codename, because Smallville did not do subtlety.

hi liter posted:

I know people here have been pretty excited about the Canary stuff, and I wanted to point out that it seems like Caity Lotz has much better chemistry with Amell than Katie Cassidy.

It's not like either Lotz or Cassidy would actually be doing the real action stuff though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

hi liter posted:

Yeah I thought she did a real good job. Also freckles :swoon: I don't really mind that the "she survived the boat :o " is an obvious retcon, because I think they need to do more to tie the island stuff into the main plot stuff. Also, I can start to see how they are going to answer the "Why is ollie a capo in the Russian mafia" question.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Wolpertinger posted:

Future spoilers from interviews

See I don't put it past the show runners to do some misinformation, but that might be wishful thinking interfering with my brain because the direction the spoilers lead is stupid for a multitude of reasons.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Holy gently caress this show. :suspense:

I can't believe we're actually getting a comic book show that is not only honestly rad as gently caress, but the plot moves at loving Nikita levels of hyperspeed.

I want more Zelenka. And I want to know what that green poo poo was (IIRC Vertigo was more yellowish). And holy gently caress EVERYTHING connected to Canary.

e: Random speculation - when Ollie confronts her about her coming back, she cites the earthquake, but then OLLIE makes the jump to her protecting her family. She never confirms it. What if Blood is working for Ras or something and she's really there now to prevent the League of Shadows from coming in and taking over Starling or something similar? :aaa:

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Nov 1, 2013

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
I just hope that ninjas become the new villain of the week type.

Though I will miss Ollie beating up corrupt millionaires while yelling, "YOU HAVE FAILED THIS CITY."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh yeah, the weapon switch in the middle of their fight was awesome. I also like rather than going with the conceit of "the hero begrudgingly teams up with the new kid on the scene", Ollie's just like "let's see what you got son".

UberAaron
Feb 11, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

WarLocke posted:

And I want to know what that green poo poo was (IIRC Vertigo was more yellowish).

It was Mountain Dew. The Mayor couldn't do the dew.

quote:

e: Random speculation - when Ollie confronts her about her coming back, she cites the earthquake, but then OLLIE makes the jump to her protecting her family. She never confirms it. What if Blood is working for Ras or something and she's really there now to prevent the League of Shadows from coming in and taking over Starling or something similar? :aaa:

I think you could be on to something. But, then it's getting a bit like the plot of Batman Begins.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

hi liter posted:

So does Felicity. And that cop. Also, Sin probably.

What I'm saying is Laurel sucks.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

UberAaron posted:

It was Mountain Dew. The Mayor couldn't do the dew.

The Mayor wanted Crab Juice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TheChad posted:

I just hope that ninjas become the new villain of the week type.

Though I will miss Ollie beating up corrupt millionaires while yelling, "YOU HAVE FAILED THIS CITY."

I'm thinking the Brother Blood thing is building to that.

"SEBASTIAN BLOOD! YOU HAVE FAILED THIS CI-" *Arrow is attacked by ninjas/zombies/junkies/mutant chimps*

• Locked thread