Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Everyone gooooo, stores up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Ordered them through in store pickup using the apple App Store app.

Great experience placing the order, well see how picking them up goes.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Totally painless. Got a 32GB space gray with the blue smart cover. I may switch to the red in the store, we'll see.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Had one. In store. Credit card was mysteriously declined. All out in my area. What the gently caress, Apple?

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
Grabbed a 32GB space gray Verizon model so that if I ever need to use it on Verizon, I'm good to go. But you know I'm gonna be mooching that 200MB TMobile deal.

Gnomedolf
Jun 9, 2013

Freelance Gynecologist
Got a 32GB Verizon Air with in-store pickup, available today. No getting there early and waiting in line for me!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So I got a space gray 128 WiFi.

I kinda wanted an LTE but the site got all asinine about my credit card for some reason and by the time I went to change it, they were sold out of the 10 nearest Apple Stores to me.

This makes me wonder if 128 LTE is just INSANELY POPULAR or they got very few of that combo.

Either way, gonna ask tomorrow if I can swap if they have one on hand. Otherwise, I'm really not disappointed. I travel very little and I can tether if I need to. :)

It's funny. Guaranteed delivery by 11/4 is loving impressive but it's just not the same if it isn't day 1. :shrug:

Edit: actually their stock may be more plentiful of those. It shows in stock now. Maybe they were temp held while orders were processed and then not completed?

Feenix fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Nov 1, 2013

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
God drat it, t-mobile deal has you paying an extra $10/month if you're not already a customer.

quote:

$10 Voice Discount: Requires one other line of post-paid phone service on the same account.

quote:

Total Cost Today
$109.99
up front
Total Cost Monthly
$36.25 x 24 /mo.
$10 /mo. after that
Taxes/fees additional.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Nov 1, 2013

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe

Residency Evil posted:

God drat it, t-mobile deal has you paying an extra $10/month if you're not already a customer. :(

Wait what? Wasn't the deal that it didn't matter if you weren't even a tmobile customer, you could get in and mooch the 2gb for free?

Edit: or wait are you talking about the financing?
Edit2: yes you are.

averox fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Nov 1, 2013

feraltennisprodigy
May 29, 2008

'sup :buddy:
Just picked up mine at Eplehuset, 16GB Wifi. Ten dudes in line outside before the store opened, I was probably the fifth or so to arrive. They didn't have any cases yet, which kinda sucked, guess I'll either order one or head back next week.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

T-mobile posted:

Can I get $0 down and free data without being on a Simple Choice monthly plan?

Yes. Of course, all tablet customers are entitled to the 200MB/month free data for life offer. And if you’re a well-qualified voice customer on a Simple Choice plan you’re also eligible to get $0 down (EIP) even if you’re just on the free data. If you don’t have a Simple Choice voice plan you will need to be on a Simple Choice Mobile Internet plan or an On Demand Data plan for your tablet, in order to get $0 down.

If you aren't an existing T-mobile customer with a (non-prepaid) Simple Choice voice plan, you have to buy at least the On Demand Data plan in order to get the $0 down financing. It is $10 a month for nothing, just the ability to buy data on demand. The cheapest Simple Choice Mobile Internet plan is 500 MB for $20 a month. I called the local T-mo store yesterday and they said they'd have plenty in stock so I'm just going to pop into the store tomorrow when it opens and pick up a 32 GB Air, if they have any.

Insidious
Dec 17, 2004

GODDAMNIT APHEX WHY DO YOU SUCK AT EVERYTHING YOU DO
As a first time iPad buyer, is it worth getting the higher storage iPads? I'm thinking about the 32GB because my 16GB Nexus 4 has felt limiting to me at certain times. Then again, with so many streaming services, is anything over 32GB overkill?

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Just got home with my new 'Space' Grey 32gb Wifi. Setting it up as a new iPad because I'm kind of interested to see if there are any downsides to doing that at all. Everything I use it for is in the cloud these days anyway.

It's stupidly light. I have no idea how the hell Apple managed this.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Any word on the Smart Cases? Does the front cover's corners still have those really solid/sharpish edges?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Welp, 32 gig t-mobile + green cover ordered. First ipad I've ever owned and I figure 200 megs of free data will be great in a pinch.

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!
Picked up a 16GB Space Grey from John Lewis (UK) at 8.20AM. No queue, no fanfare, nice and easy.

Didn't pick up a case as I'm planning on getting a sleeve at some point and I want to keep it as light as possible during use.

The Apple Store seemed next door seemed to have people queuing but I didn't go in for a closer look.

Edit - Wow, it's way lighter than I thought it'd be. It's lovely.

not not luvd fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Nov 1, 2013

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Insidious posted:

As a first time iPad buyer, is it worth getting the higher storage iPads? I'm thinking about the 32GB because my 16GB Nexus 4 has felt limiting to me at certain times. Then again, with so many streaming services, is anything over 32GB overkill?

It *really* depends on what you plan to do with it, but my current iPad 3 is 64 GB and I don't think I've ever come close to hitting that since I rarely watch movies on it and those are the biggest space eaters. I'm right now considering a 32 GB. I would probably not get 16 GB, myself, but if you don't intend to play games on it, it'll probably still be fine.

EDIT: Also remember they have a 30 day return policy so if you decide in that time you want more or less, you can always take it back.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Nov 1, 2013

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Insidious posted:

I found myself struggling to decide between a Wifi-only 32 and 64GB this time around. I had previously been using the iPad 3 32GB (WiFi-only) and I was pretty regularly hitting the 32GB limit particularly for app installs/updates. Overall a 48GB model would have been perfect for me. That being said this is a machine I use for work, for games, and it's also used by my wife as a laptop replacement for her very casual use. It is easy to recommend for 32GB and against 16GB for anymore than the most casual use.

Given that I was out this morning and both the Future Shop and pseudo-Apple Store reseller locations were out of slate grey Wifi-only 32/64GB models, and the Wal-Mart had nothing at all, I went online and pacified myself by ordering the 64GB. Having gotten my iPhone 5S and Macbook Air on Apple.ca via the Air Miles portal this year, gently caress retail at this point.

It's a little overkill to get 64GB for me, but having gotten $400 selling my iPad 3, the extra $100 didn't hurt much. I figure I want to be able to keep this for at least the next 2-3 years even through potential 64-bit application filesize bloat and I don't want to have to think much about regularly deleting apps/media. We are also travelling a lot more these days so it will be nice to have the extra space to "load up" games and tv shows/movies.

I also look at the current range of offering (16-128) and a 64GB model is the closest to the middle of that range now so there's that.

EDIT: I was back to Future Shop with a colleague who was there to get BF4 and was told they had black 32 WiFi models in. I am weak so I caved and cancelled my Apple.ca order.

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Nov 1, 2013

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
In and out at Best Buy without an issue but they didn't have any smart covers AND they didn't have any screen protectors. Now I'm afraid to take the drat thing out of the box. Nearest Apple Store is an hour and a half away and the Best Buy there has screen protectors also. I'm tempted to just drive to get one so I can use the drat thing without being paranoid.

sleepness
Feb 9, 2006

Man this baby's light. Going from a gen 3 to the air is huge. May even sell my kindle as this is probably light enough to read in bed

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

suddenlyissoon posted:

In and out at Best Buy without an issue but they didn't have any smart covers AND they didn't have any screen protectors. Now I'm afraid to take the drat thing out of the box. Nearest Apple Store is an hour and a half away and the Best Buy there has screen protectors also. I'm tempted to just drive to get one so I can use the drat thing without being paranoid.
I would go and get a bottle of Crown Royal and use that bag in the meantime. The 1L one should work (about 7.5x10 inches) although you could easily go bigger. Plus, you get whiskey out of the deal.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
The initial impressions from those who have picked up their devices already seems great, which only has me more torn between the Air and Mini with Retina. My only concern with the Air is how awkward it may be using it while lying down in bed at night, but if the weight and size reduction make that a fairly comfortable experience, I'll probably pull the trigger on the T-Mobile Air and wait for next year's revision of the Mini.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
As someone who owns a mini, this Air is drat light. Best iPad to date IMO.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
Yeah, the air is absolutely fantastic.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
No, goons, don't tell me this, or I'm going to have to buy yet another electronic device that I barely use. :negative:

Demented Guy
Apr 22, 2010

IF YOU ARE READING THIS IN AN NBA THREAD, LOOK TO YOUR RIGHT TO SEE MY EXPLETIVE RIDDEN, NONSENSICAL POST OF UTTER BULLSHIT

Protocol7 posted:

No, goons, don't tell me this, or I'm going to have to buy yet another electronic device that I barely use. :negative:

Yep. I wonder if the Air is this light as mentioned, how light would the Mini be?

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Did anyone who ordered online via the apple store pick theirs up when the store opened at 8?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Any leaks or hints as to when the Mini will be available yet?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Demented Guy posted:

Yep. I wonder if the Air is this light as mentioned, how light would the Mini be?

The Retina Mini is the same form factor as the old mini, but listed as slightly heavier. No real mystery.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I decided to get the air and not the mini since I already have an iphone 5s. I will be using it mostly for reading pdfs so I figure I should get the bigger screen and suffer the slightly larger form factor.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I think I'm going to bank the money from selling my current iPad, and wait for refurbs of the Air to pop up on the Apple store. As much as I'm tempted by other tablets like the 2014 Galaxy Note 10.1, I'm far too invested in the Apple ecosystem (and to be frank every non-iPad I've ever owned has been garbage.)

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Welp, ordered the Air and a case for pickup. Sold my 4 which my baby girl smashed to help ease the pain. Now I just need to make sure I get the retina mini for my wife so she will not murder me.

Thanks all who posted their trip reports as to how light it really is as that pushed me to stay at full size.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Has anyone seen a 128Gb model out there? Seems that they shipped either none or very few. 64Gb are all over the place, but so far I only found one in an ATT Store 60 miles away...

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
As an FYI, it looks like if you decide to take advantage of T-mobile's EIP (i.e., iPad financing) AND you're not already a t-mobile voice customer, you'll be charged an extra $10/month for your "free" data on top of the $26/month iPad charge. If you buy the iPad in full there's no additional $10 charge.

At least that's what I'm gathering. I'll know for sure this afternoon.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Residency Evil posted:

As an FYI, it looks like if you decide to take advantage of T-mobile's EIP (i.e., iPad financing) AND you're not already a t-mobile voice customer, you'll be charged an extra $10/month for your "free" data on top of the $26/month iPad charge. If you buy the iPad in full there's no additional $10 charge.

At least that's what I'm gathering. I'll know for sure this afternoon.

Discussed at the top of this page.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

ghostinmyshell posted:

Did anyone who ordered online via the apple store pick theirs up when the store opened at 8?

I did. Here in Austin, that put me in a special line with a handful of other people, most of whom got to be the first buyers at the store - I was number three. I was all done by 8:10.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Nihiliste posted:

I did. Here in Austin, that put me in a special line with a handful of other people, most of whom got to be the first buyers at the store - I was number three. I was all done by 8:10.

Me too. Also in Austin! I think I was done at like 8:15.

I don't know how I feel about the new screen. It feels...different.

It's also lagging like some kind of awful android thing, but that may be because i'm syncing right now.

sleepness
Feb 9, 2006

I am noticing some lag too, very similar to my iPad 3rd gen which had major keyboard issues.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.

Protocol7 posted:

I think I'm going to bank the money from selling my current iPad, and wait for refurbs of the Air to pop up on the Apple store. As much as I'm tempted by other tablets like the 2014 Galaxy Note 10.1, I'm far too invested in the Apple ecosystem (and to be frank every non-iPad I've ever owned has been garbage.)

Refurbished iPads don't typically pop up until the next upgrade gen appears, like a year from now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Jet Ready Go posted:

Refurbished iPads don't typically pop up until the next upgrade gen appears, like a year from now.

I can be patient. :colbert: