Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

ChaosArgate posted:

It can also be absolutely terrifying, like when Whitney's Miltank got Scrappy in HG/SS. :stonk:

PTSD, man.

"Oh I heard you like Rollout. Rollout is over, time for Milk Drink!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Psh, it's best when used on Exploud with his STAB Boombursts. Ghosts simply die unless their name is Aegislash. But then, that's what flamethrower is for.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Talmonis posted:

Psh, it's best when used on Exploud with his STAB Boombursts. Ghosts simply die unless their name is Aegislash. But then, that's what flamethrower is for.

Heaven help you if he somehow tanks that Flamethrower, though :getin:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I hope that hacker guy can see if there's data for a Mega Treecko or Mudkip. Also, does that mean all the special event stuff is already coded on the cart? Or can Nintendo just add new data via patches and stuff.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Internet Kraken posted:

So terrible idea I had while musing over Gothitelle as a support wall last night; why not use Gothorita with Eviolite instead?

Probably a terrible idea but it was a fun one. I'm just not sure how using eviolite affects EVs. Do you still want max HP and one defensive stat, max HP and a split between the two, or max both defensive stats instead?

Well, with Eviolite any EV investment you make in either defensive stat will be boosted by 50%. I would imagine that is enough to tip the balance in favour of putting EVs into Def and Sp.Def instead of HP.

The reason why HP investment is generally recommended, as I understand it, is that it means you get the benefit whether the opponent uses physical or special attacks (as opposed to just one or the other). The thing is, an investment into Def or Sp.Def could in principle benefit you more than an investment into HP, especially if you're not healing any HP, because the extra stat points in the defensive stat will benefit you every time you are hit, rather than allowing you to survive (say) one extra hit and then being gone. So it depends what healing it has and how many hits you expect it to take, I guess.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Is there an easier way to reset EVs than to hope I somehow come across a reset bag?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Harlock posted:

I hope that hacker guy can see if there's data for a Mega Treecko or Mudkip. Also, does that mean all the special event stuff is already coded on the cart? Or can Nintendo just add new data via patches and stuff.

What he's finding is on the cart but that doesn't mean Game Freak can't patch in more stuff later.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

deadly_pudding posted:

Heaven help you if he somehow tanks that Flamethrower, though :getin:

Oh definitely, one sacred sword and he goes down. That's why I run my Exploud behind my Venomoth's quiver danced baton pass, and sleep powder the turn prior to the pass, to ensure he doesn't get smeared on the switch.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

noirstronaut posted:

Is there an easier way to reset EVs than to hope I somehow come across a reset bag?

If you're a :smug:PRO BERRY FARMER:smug: like me you have a dozens of the EV resetting berries, which you can just feed to your pokemon to reduce the desired stats.

If not, keep tapping that bag.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Harlock posted:

He checked for an alternate Sceptile form and unfortunately it didn't exist.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Just hatched a shiny noibat on my 14th egg. Would have liked infiltrator but whatever he's a beautiful blue bastard :getin:

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Rorus Raz posted:

Why doesn't Latios have the mega evolution symbol by his name on the status bar?
Also why doesn't it seem to have a shadow?

As far as I was aware pokemon that are flying in battle still have a shadow.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Harlock posted:

There's no reason why GameFreak can't add new items and Mega forms through patches. They won't though, because they need to account for people without the internet battling people locally on 3DS. If you've not patched to unlock Mega Sceptile and your opponent uses it, the game's going to lock up. What's been found is what we're going to get, you'd imagine.

E: The missing Mega Evo icon is missing because it didn't mega evolve, it was found in its mega form via the RAM exploits Smealum is using. No idea why there's no shadow.

Serebii believes they're real though, which gives them some credibility because he seems to know more than he lets on.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Nov 1, 2013

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Don't touch shoopuf. Tailss will be shlapping!

Aurain posted:

There's no reason why GameFreak can't add new items and Mega forms through patches. They won't though, because they need to account for people without the internet battling people locally on 3DS. If you've not patched to unlock Mega Sceptile and your opponent uses it, the game's going to lock up. What's been found is what we're going to get, you'd imagine.

I've heard that people without updated games battled those who have the updated version will receive the update when they connect to the updated game. Is there something wrong with that rumor?

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Is Taunt useful in the Battle Maison? Trying to make a team specifically for it.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Aurain posted:

Ad-hoc patching is possible. Your opponents game determines that your version isn't the same as its so it sends your copy the missing patch(es).

Assuming they keep things relatively small it should take <30 seconds.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Is Taunt useful in the Battle Maison? Trying to make a team specifically for it.

It'll block things like Confuse Ray and Will O Wisp.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Cernunnos posted:

Ad-hoc patching is possible. Your opponents game determines that your version isn't the same as its so it sends your copy the missing patch(es).

Assuming they keep things relatively small it should take <30 seconds.

Hopefully this would be the case.

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008
Just finished my jolly intimidate tauntrados. Can't wait to wreck some aegislash

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Just hatched a shiny noibat on my 14th egg. Would have liked infiltrator but whatever he's a beautiful blue bastard :getin:

That's what the ability capsule is for!

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I'm never going to be good enough to ever get that or use it competitively. I'm just happy it didn't take me 20 boxes to get him :3:

Sultan Tarquin fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Nov 1, 2013

Captain Flame Guy
Mar 11, 2012

Does anyone know for sure how gender affects passing hidden abilities to their offspring?
For some reason I keep thinking that male ones have an easier time passing them down, but I noticed that one of the female's offspring that I've been breeding with a Ditto also had its hidden ability.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I don't get why they made it impossible to look at stats over GTS/request specific abilities. I'm trying to get a shadow tag Gothorita but there's no way for me to tell if it has that ability. So all I can do is gamble over GTS and hope I get lucky.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Captain Flame Guy posted:

Does anyone know for sure how gender affects passing hidden abilities to their offspring?
For some reason I keep thinking that male ones have an easier time passing them down, but I noticed that one of the female's offspring that I've been breeding with a Ditto also had its hidden ability.

The pokemon that determines the species of the baby is the one with a higher chance of passing their ability.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Captain Flame Guy posted:

Female has the higher chance of passing the hidden ability. I think it's an 80% chance with females and 20% with males.

JoltSpree
Jul 19, 2012

I really hope that Mega Latios/Latias is fake. Latios is one of my favourite Legendaries, and I love his design. That new thing looks absolutely hideous.

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet
Where is the X and Y global link and how do I register?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

You have to do something from in the game to get an ID number and then go here:

http://www.pokemon-gl.com/

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't get why they made it impossible to look at stats over GTS/request specific abilities. I'm trying to get a shadow tag Gothorita but there's no way for me to tell if it has that ability. So all I can do is gamble over GTS and hope I get lucky.

Yeah, I hate to break it to ya, but the chances of that happening are slim and none. I know, I've been trying it for some time. Most people, it seems, don't actually pay attention to the dialog box you type up. And even those that do go "Pfft, there's no way to enforce that" and give you a normal ability version. I've been trying to get a Protean Kecleon for awhile now, putting up Protean Froakies as trade. Just isn't happening. Tried it a couple times with other things, and it's just been a disappointment.

Your best bets are to either go to the trading thread or just scour the GTS manually and watch those dialog boxes. And then hope they don't want a legendary or a loving Scizor. There's only one Metal Coat in the game for some idiotic reason, don't waste it on something like that. I'm sure there's something or another you can Thief more off of, but it's probably Friend Safari only. And then you have to get lucky enough to find someone with it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

ChibiSoma posted:

Yeah, I hate to break it to ya, but the chances of that happening are slim and none.

Got it on my very first try :shepface:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

ChibiSoma posted:

There's only one Metal Coat in the game for some idiotic reason, don't waste it on something like that. I'm sure there's something or another you can Thief more off of, but it's probably Friend Safari only. And then you have to get lucky enough to find someone with it.

Magnemite and Magneton have a 5% chance to be carrying one, and you can find them in the Lost Hotel. So it's just inconvenient to get more, not impossible!

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!

JoltSpree posted:

I really hope that Mega Latios/Latias is fake. Latios is one of my favourite Legendaries, and I love his design. That new thing looks absolutely hideous.

Wait, people actually like Latios? I always saw Lati@s as the Plusle and Minun to Lugia's Pikachu, so if they get mega forms and motherfucking Sceptile doesn't I'll be literally angry with rage.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Who gives a gently caress about sceptile and mudkip, call me when typhlosion and feraligatr can go even further beyond

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Public service announcement: please keep all hands away from the business end of a Sharpedo.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Balon posted:

Public service announcement: please keep all hands away from the business end of a Sharpedo.

:ohdear:

I really, really like that certain parts of a lot of pokemon are straight-up hazardous to touch. I like it even better when they look confused or worried if you keep touching them there :kimchi:

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Solumin posted:

Magnemite and Magneton have a 5% chance to be carrying one, and you can find them in the Lost Hotel. So it's just inconvenient to get more, not impossible!

Also to add to this, like all wild hold items with a 5% chance, having a pokemon with Compound Eyes at the front of your party increases the chance to 20%.
(1% goes up to 5% and 50% goes up to 60%)

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh, Pokerus can be passed on to eggs apparently. Although to be honest, it might have worked like that always, never really did much with it myself.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Also, for anyone wondering how to get "stylish" enough to get the final O-Power: Log in to the Pokemon Global Link and access your profile. If you achieve the "Lumiosian" medal you can get the Hatching O-Power.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Who gives a gently caress about sceptile and mudkip, call me when typhlosion and feraligatr can go even further beyond

Dude that would be awesome. Typhlosion literally turns into a giant explosion and then Feraligatr turns into a slightly bigger Feraligatr, but with like three sets of teeth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Sceptile is my favorite grass starter so I care. :colbert: Plus having Blaziken Mega Evolve and not the other two is just weird.

• Locked thread