Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

FMguru posted:

Is Huntsman Mormon? I always thought a lot of that bad blood was intra-sect conflict.

I figured the reason that Romney never released his tax records was that they would show he'd been under-tithing to the church, which really pissed off Reid and Hunstman Sr. and Jr.

We never did see those records...

I thought Huntsman the younger wasn't particularly devout himself. Or at least I recall someone saying something to that effect during the primaries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

ReidRansom posted:

I thought Huntsman the younger wasn't particularly devout himself. Or at least I recall someone saying something to that effect during the primaries.

Jon Huntsman Jr. has described himself as a "soft" Mormon who isn't "overly religious," which is usually politician code for somewhere on the atheist/agnostic scale.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

ReidRansom posted:

As I remember it, Huntsman Sr. is pretty devout and in touch with church leadership; probably rubbed elbows with Romney plenty over the years, while Huntsman Jr. is much less devout, which Sr. isn't very happy about. I remember someone saying that the elder Huntsman offered Jr. a huge package of campaign funding if he agreed to tighten up.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

FMguru posted:

Is Huntsman Mormon? I always thought a lot of that bad blood was intra-sect conflict.

I figured the reason that Romney never released his tax records was that they would show he'd been under-tithing to the church, which really pissed off Reid and Hunstman Sr. and Jr.

We never did see those records...

Nah, Romney strikes me as a faithful Mormon type of guy. If anyone wasn't getting a fair cut it's the tax man not the church.

I have a hunch that aside from some perfectly legal but shady as all gently caress looking accounting, Romney financials would show he gave slightly more than the minimum tithe. My assumption is that due to Romney's wealth, his advisers felt that showing millions going to the Mormon Church would do nothing but resurrect the lingering specter of his religion. A lot of the religious right had to really, super, pray for the wisdom of Solomon, talk themselves into voting for a member of a heretical cult. Say what you will about that Kenyan Muslim, at least it's an Abrahamic religion and not the corruption of the Gospel by Satan through a morally bankrupt conman just looking to line his pockets and take advantage of women.

Also Romeny doesn't like sharing things he doesn't have to, and nothing says the Hoi polloi get to gawk at his finances.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Gyges posted:

Nah, Romney strikes me as a faithful Mormon type of guy. If anyone wasn't getting a fair cut it's the tax man not the church.

I have a hunch that aside from some perfectly legal but shady as all gently caress looking accounting, Romney financials would show he gave slightly more than the minimum tithe. My assumption is that due to Romney's wealth, his advisers felt that showing millions going to the Mormon Church would do nothing but resurrect the lingering specter of his religion. A lot of the religious right had to really, super, pray for the wisdom of Solomon, talk themselves into voting for a member of a heretical cult. Say what you will about that Kenyan Muslim, at least it's an Abrahamic religion and not the corruption of the Gospel by Satan through a morally bankrupt conman just looking to line his pockets and take advantage of women.

Also Romeny doesn't like sharing things he doesn't have to, and nothing says the Hoi polloi get to gawk at his finances.

When Romney trotted out what he paid in taxes as an off-the-top-of-his-head percentage (I believe he said 12-13%) even that drew criticism. The team was content to sit and take the punches on that issue for months and months without releasing anything. It was surely something damaging, like "paid 0% effective tax rate or lower." And maybe indeed he paid a giant tithe back to the church every year, which would've raised some evangelical eyebrows and annoyed liberals even more when they compared his tithe to his rate.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Interesting that GC2 suggests Obama wants to be more liberal, that 'Campaign Obama' is the actual man.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
I had no idea there was going to be a Game Change 2. Boy, I can't wait until November 5.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

When Romney trotted out what he paid in taxes as an off-the-top-of-his-head percentage (I believe he said 12-13%) even that drew criticism. The team was content to sit and take the punches on that issue for months and months without releasing anything. It was surely something damaging, like "paid 0% effective tax rate or lower." And maybe indeed he paid a giant tithe back to the church every year, which would've raised some evangelical eyebrows and annoyed liberals even more when they compared his tithe to his rate.

If 12-13% was accurate, what was to be gained from releasing proof beyond off the cuff candidate response? There's no doubt at all that Romney paid as little as number crunched by highly paid accountants possible. However given the cavalier reaction to everything else that should have been shameful, I just don't think that's why. Remember that he's the one who said he didn't make very much in speaking fees, which was only a few hundred thousand dollars. Also he still sees nothing wrong with strapping his dog to the roof of his car for a trip.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I really enjoyed Dan Balz's "Collision 2012" but it's written in a more dry, matter-of-fact style and very much lacking in juicy gossipy tidbits, presumably "Game Change 2" will cover that angle.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

And maybe indeed he paid a giant tithe back to the church every year, which would've raised some evangelical eyebrows and annoyed liberals even more when they compared his tithe to his rate.

The even more fun speculation around this was that he was actually under-tithing and hiding income from the church, and he was holding onto the returns so he wouldn't be in hot water with the elders.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Doctor Candiru posted:

quote:

According to a memo on Mr. Christie from the vetting team, it had unanswered questions on a defamation lawsuit against the governor from earlier in his political career, on a Securities and Exchange Commission settlement involving Mr. Christie’s brother, on names and documentation of his household help, on information from his time as a securities industry lobbyist, and on his medical history. “The dossier on the Garden State governor’s background was littered with potential land mines,” the authors write.

It also mentions this relevant-to-a-2016-campaign bit about Christie:

So, could those tidbits harm Christie in 2016? They don't appear to be any worse on the surface than Romney's economic skeletons in 2012.

See, I dunno. I feel like with Romney people sort of already figured he was a smarmy multi-millionaire businessman who paid the bare minimum in taxes, so actually confirming it wasn't a shocker. When you see that he's installing a car elevator in his Stark-esque California beach-mansion, you're kinda like "yeah, figures". Whereas Chris Christie wants to portray himself as a pragmatic everyman who's unafraid to speak truth to power, so potentially things like hiring undocumented maids or doing sketchy stuff as a Wall Street lobbyist kinda blows a whole in framing himself that way.

The defamation lawsuit though, I imagine people who shrug off as "classic Christie" since "unafraid to piss people off by saying what's on his mind" is a part of the image they want to cultivate anyhow, right?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
The defamation stuff is related to a brutal civil war in the Morris County Republican Party in the 1990s. The short, relevant part is that Christie ran off the line for a few local offices back in the day against machine pols (he won one of them and was a one-term freeholder) and they all ended up suing each other over negative campaigning. I don't think there's anything actually there that would harm him.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

jeffersonlives posted:

The defamation stuff is related to a brutal civil war in the Morris County Republican Party in the 1990s. The short, relevant part is that Christie ran off the line for a few local offices back in the day against machine pols (he won one of them and was a one-term freeholder) and they all ended up suing each other over negative campaigning. I don't think there's anything actually there that would harm him.

Interesting, thanks. But my point is that I feel like the general impression Christie gives people (and in this case it's largely intentional) is such that people expect him to loudly piss people off. So even if he actually did something bad in this defamation suit people already sort of budgeted that kinda stuff into their opinion of him and thus the confirmation of it wouldn't really be as damaging.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Stormagetiton posted:

Interesting, thanks. But my point is that I feel like the general impression Christie gives people (and in this case it's largely intentional) is such that people expect him to loudly piss people off. So even if he actually did something bad in this defamation suit people already sort of budgeted that kinda stuff into their opinion of him and thus the confirmation of it wouldn't really be as damaging.

IIRC the specifics were something like the incumbent freeholders were burying meeting minutes because they were trying to hide kickbacks, Christie filed a complaint that the local prosecutor followed up on, and Christie then used the prosecutor following up to allege in ads that the incumbents were under criminal investigation, which they technically weren't. Christie eventually had to retract the ads and apologize to settle the lawsuit and a countersuit he'd filed, but he'd already won that election by then.

It's not something that's going to kill him.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Details are leaking from Backbiting Gossip: 2012 edition, these parts seem relevant for the next contest:

quote:

4. Romney’s issues with Christie. Romney gave Christie a close look for the running mate position — even reconsidering him after first deciding against him. But he had his issues with the New Jersey governor, including his lack of physical fitness and his tardiness, according to the book.

quote:

6. Tension after Christie’s Tampa convention speech. Christie’s long speech at the Republican National Convention had garnered some negative reviews, and a story in Politico cited people close to Romney panning the speech. What followed was a tense phone call between campaign manager Matt Rhoades and Christie in which the New Jersey governor expressed his displeasure — and not in G-rated language. “I’ve worked hard for Governor Romney,” Christie told Rhoades. “I like him. And I see that you guys, for whatever reason, are playing this game.”

quote:

8. Biden’s pamphlet plan: Biden wanted the Obama campaign to create a pamphlet to send to targeted voters. He wanted to print “millions” of copies.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
How did you miss the best part of that story?

quote:

3. Potential VP nicknames. Romney’s search for a running mate was dubbed “Project Goldfish.” And his search brought him to New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie (Pufferfish), former Minnesota governor Tim Pawlenty (Lakefish), Sen. Rob Portman of Ohio (Filet-O-Fish), Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida (Pescado) and Rep. Paul Ryan of Wisconsin (Fishconsin).

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

serewit posted:

Well the best part was the Harry Reid was right all along bit (or at least Harry Reid spun some mocktail party gossip into the greatest troll in the history of presidential campaigns), but neither had much to do with 2016.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

quote:

Sen. Rob Portman of Ohio (Filet-O-Fish)

:laffo: The dullest, cheapest fish.

Lee Harvey Oswald
Mar 17, 2007

by exmarx

DynamicSloth posted:

Biden pamphlets

Biden owns. He should have thrown them out at parades like the Joker at the end of Batman.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Zwabu posted:

I really enjoyed Dan Balz's "Collision 2012" but it's written in a more dry, matter-of-fact style and very much lacking in juicy gossipy tidbits, presumably "Game Change 2" will cover that angle.

I just finished this and honestly I want to return it to audible (apparently I can do that) because it basically just went over everything people like us already knew from reading the election threads. It's great if you didn't follow the election on a day to day basis but if you were reading the election threads don't bother.

The only part I really really enjoyed and didn't know about was when Christie threatened to say "gently caress" on national television if they didn't show his 3 minute video at the RNC.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

DynamicSloth posted:

Details are leaking from Backbiting Gossip: 2012 edition, these parts seem relevant for the next contest:

quote:

8. Biden’s pamphlet plan: Biden wanted the Obama campaign to create a pamphlet to send to targeted voters. He wanted to print “millions” of copies.

How does this differ from standard direct mail aside from the lit format? I mean it seems like a largish buy maybe, but what's strange about it otherwise? Or is that a detail for which you need to buy the book?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Stormagetiton posted:

How does this differ from standard direct mail aside from the lit format? I mean it seems like a largish buy maybe, but what's strange about it otherwise? Or is that a detail for which you need to buy the book?

While I don't own the book, one big thing this year was that data mining was specifically used to target arguments to voters. They specifically tried to identify what kind of people were at each address and send them campaign media that was specifically relevant to them. So if you're a student you get mailed a pamphlet about how Obama's fighting to keep student loan rates low and so on.

Maybe that's it? Maybe it's not "a" pamphlet but targeted direct mail.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

serewit posted:

Rep. Paul Ryan of Wisconsin (Fishconsin).

That's a tough code to break...

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

serewit posted:

Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida (Pescado)

This isn't a real difficult code to crack either. Also, I'd have made Pawlenty the Filet-O-Fish.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Nov 1, 2013

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Alter Ego posted:

Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida (Pescado)

This isn't a real difficult code to crack either. Also, I'd have made Pawlenty the Filet-O-Fish.

And if he ever considered Gingrich his code name could have been PlentyOfFish.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Michele Bachmann would be Walleye.

Herman Cain would obviously be Anchovies.

Rand Paul is Goldfish.

Mitch Daniels would be Guppy.

In 2016, Rubio can be Bottlenose.

Joementum fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Nov 1, 2013

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Romney himself should've been The Sacred Cod

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Palin in an Anglerfish

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

pangstrom posted:

Palin in an Anglerfish

I'd think Remora is more her style, what with the latching on to the more powerful to advance herself. Or maybe something like Lamprey.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
As usual, she's the worst and picked out her own nickname: Sarahcuda.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
And they're all crappie.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I'd think Remora is more her style, what with the latching on to the more powerful to advance herself. Or maybe something like Lamprey.
That's pretty good, too. I still like anglerfish but I agree that that it seems like too clever a strategy for Palin. Even though it is a strategy being employed BY A FISH.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Joementum posted:

As usual, she's the worst and picked out her own nickname: Sarahcuda.

Christ, I'd forgotten about that, somehow. Didn't she claim that that had been a high school basketball nickname or something equally ludicrous?

pangstrom posted:

That's pretty good, too. I still like anglerfish but I agree that that it seems like too clever a strategy for Palin. Even though it is a strategy being employed BY A FISH.

Well ever since 2008 the virtually the totality of her political activities can safely be characterized as bait and switch, so we're in the same waters at least.

This fish thing is about to set off a punning tear I can just tell oh god what have we done.

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Nov 1, 2013

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I've read all the other 2012 campaign books, but this one might be too tough to get through.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Grit your teeth and Octuple down

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I think I'd have to drink a double down just to get through the page

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Lee Harvey Oswald posted:

Biden owns. He should have thrown them out at parades like the Joker at the end of Batman.
I can just see him going into the Obama 2012 strategy department (with the humming supercomputers running one million simulated elections a day against giant hadoop sets of incoming data streams) and saying "Guys! I got a great idea thank I think will change everything! How about : we print up a bunch of pamphlets and hand them out at events? Eh? Eh? Well?"

I mean, it worked for Thomas Paine...

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Richard Wolffe's book made it pretty clear that Biden thought the campaign shouldn't engage in the "war on women" contraception debate because they'd lose too many white, male, Catholic supporters and that the campaign staff basically joked behind his back about him trying to run the 1988 campaign again, so the pamphlet strategy seems like something he'd cook up. I guess he got out of that state of mind by the time he decided to evolve Obama's gay marriage position.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Joementum posted:

I've read all the other 2012 campaign books, but this one might be too tough to get through.

Which book is this? Guessing double down but is "Obamans" really the language they use?

Fuck You And Diebold fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Nov 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Joementum posted:

Richard Wolffe's book made it pretty clear that Biden thought the campaign shouldn't engage in the "war on women" contraception debate because they'd lose too many white, male, Catholic supporters and that the campaign staff basically joked behind his back about him trying to run the 1988 campaign again, so the pamphlet strategy seems like something he'd cook up. I guess he got out of that state of mind by the time he decided to evolve Obama's gay marriage position.

When you're a white, male, Catholic, everything looks like white, male, Catholic problems.

• Locked thread