Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Sceptile is my favorite grass starter so I care. :colbert: Plus having Blaziken Mega Evolve and not the other two is just weird.

They'll get Mega Evolutions when the inevitable Hoenn remakes come out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

FauxGateau posted:

Dude that would be awesome. Typhlosion literally turns into a giant explosion and then Feraligatr turns into a slightly bigger Feraligatr, but with like three sets of teeth.

I wish there were more weird gimmicks for Mega Evolutions. Mega Typhlosion be Scrappy, Fire/Normal, and automatically replace all his attacks with Explosion.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Mega Typhlosion's ability should make it so that when it uses Explosion the opponent's defense is halved, which is how Explosion used to work.

e: Or give it priority when using Explosion :unsmigghh:

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Even though I despise Meganium, I can't help but wonder if they will actually call it MEGAMEGANIUM.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Mega Feraligatr should just be a saltwater crocodile

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet
MegaFeraligater better be driving a chevrolet movie theater.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Hammerite posted:

Well, with Eviolite any EV investment you make in either defensive stat will be boosted by 50%. I would imagine that is enough to tip the balance in favour of putting EVs into Def and Sp.Def instead of HP.

The reason why HP investment is generally recommended, as I understand it, is that it means you get the benefit whether the opponent uses physical or special attacks (as opposed to just one or the other). The thing is, an investment into Def or Sp.Def could in principle benefit you more than an investment into HP, especially if you're not healing any HP, because the extra stat points in the defensive stat will benefit you every time you are hit, rather than allowing you to survive (say) one extra hit and then being gone. So it depends what healing it has and how many hits you expect it to take, I guess.

Actually no. When you're using Eviolite the net effect is essentially (up to rounding) the same as "reduce incoming damage by 1/3." If investing in HP was more efficient before Eviolite, it'll be more efficient after as well.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Who gives a gently caress about sceptile and mudkip, call me when typhlosion and feraligatr can go even further beyond

I'm sorry, but Typhlosion is the absolute worst starter, only likeable by little kids and furries. :colbert:
And if it does get a Mega, I'd bet it will do the exact same as Charizard's megas, just to keep the same stats thing going.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

qnqnx posted:

I'm sorry, but Typhlosion is the absolute worst starter, only likeable by little kids and furries. :colbert:
And if it does get a Mega, I'd bet it will do the exact same as Charizard's megas, just to keep the same stats thing going.

Jesus man, first Farfetch'd and now this? What Meganium gets a pass though?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

qnqnx posted:

Oh god I know a guy who has a... thing for Cyndaquil. Nope, nope, nope.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

FauxGateau posted:

Jesus man, first Farfetch'd and now this? What Meganium gets a pass though?

Meganioum does get a pass by having a design more interesting than being a badger on fire. Also decent-ish user of Light Screen+Reflect, I loving love double screen offense, although I haven't tried if it can work well in battle in X/Y.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

qnqnx posted:

1. Meganium exists

2. Typhlosion is a honey badger with a flaming collar, sorry for your bad taste

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Feraligatr has a mohawk.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Oshawott exists and is terrible.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Good thing Oshawott evolves into Samurott. It'd be horrible if the entire line was ugly.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!
Sceptile's rear end is a Christmas tree. You just can't beat that.

y_3
Aug 18, 2010

Oshawott actually owns, instead of what everyone else is saying

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

y_3 posted:

You misspelled Snivy.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Tepig is THE WORSTTM.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

y_3 posted:

Dewott is good too, shame about Samurott.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
There is no excuse for the harelip on Oshawott and Dewott.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

deadly_pudding posted:

:ohdear:

I really, really like that certain parts of a lot of pokemon are straight-up hazardous to touch. I like it even better when they look confused or worried if you keep touching them there :kimchi:

I can't pet my Cryogonal at all, my hand just keeps getting frozen. :saddowns:

Edit: I have a question about the battle restaurants. Do you get better rewards if you finish each battle in the exact amount of turns instead of fewer?

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Nov 1, 2013

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Broken Cog posted:

I can't pet my Cryogonal at all, my hand just keeps getting frozen. :saddowns:

Edit: I have a question about the battle restaurants. Do you get better rewards if you finish each battle in the exact amount of turns instead of fewer?

I think it influences the number of mushrooms you get at the end.

y_3
Aug 18, 2010

Yeah afaik you can get up to 25 mushrooms total, which is a lot of money if you're doing the 3-star restaurant since they sell for 6.75k each I think

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Yeah I know about the mushrooms, but I seemed to get less mushrooms the last time I did it (About 14, I think) and absolutely destroyed each trainer in 1-2 turns each, than when I did it earlier and finished most of the battles in the exact amount of rounds they mention at the start of each battle.

Also, is it ever any reason to do the sushi battle restaurant? 500k entrance fee, and I barely got 200k out of it.

y_3
Aug 18, 2010

You're finishing them too quickly. You need to finish them on the turn they tell you to to get the most mushrooms.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Broken Cog posted:

Yeah I know about the mushrooms, but I seemed to get less mushrooms the last time I did it (About 14, I think) and absolutely destroyed each trainer in 1-2 turns each, than when I did it earlier and finished most of the battles in the exact amount of rounds they mention at the start of each battle.

Also, is it ever any reason to do the sushi battle restaurant? 500k entrance fee, and I barely got 200k out of it.

You get 1 fewer mushroom for each turn less or more than the target number you take to win, and for each of your fainted pokemon I believe.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Aha, that clears that up, I thought you only had to finish them in fewer turns. Thanks guys.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
All the Gen V starters were bad and Gamefreak should feel bad!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Anyone have a Timid Ditto I can steal from you? Breeding Rotoms and finally got the 4 IV spread I wanted (well I wanted 5 but I'm willing to accept HP, SpA, SpD, Spe).

FC: 0989-2944-5596

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Is there any reason why my shellder is unable to use a water stone?

EDIT: I'm a dumb person. It's holding an everstone.

nerdz fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Nov 1, 2013

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

The Gen 2 and 5 starters are arguably the worst starters in terms of movepool and stats (Note: I'm not going to critique on design, because gently caress THAT)

Meganium is supposed to be a bulky tank, it has decent stats across the board, and... Not much else to offer. It does get Aromatherapy and can Dual Screen. Heck, even its Hidden Ability, Leaf Guard, is just OK. There's better Grasses.

Typhlosion has the exact same base stats as Charizard, has a better typing since vanilla Fire means it doesn't get completely screwed over, but... It has a very, VERY small movepool that doesn't take advantage of its stats. The real reason you'd use Typhlosion is for Specs Eruption which IS neat. ... But he's also really OK. If you want a pure-Fire type that's good why aren't you using Arcanine or Ninetales??

Feraligatr is the saving grace here, he gets Dragon AND Swords Dance, he has cool stats, AND Sheer Force as its Hidden Ability. It's weird how its two brethen are struggling to have a niche, and Fera here is a powerhouse. It's odd.

With Generation 5, there's Serperior who's the fastest SubSeeder in the game (Which middling stats outside of Speed), Emboar who has a lot of moves but is both slow and blah blah people hate Firefighters, and Samurott has all right stats and an okay movepool.

If you really wanted to use starters competitively, the better ones (From my perspective at least) are Venusaur, either Mega Charizard, Feraligatr, and any of the Hoenn, Sinnoh, and Kalos starters. The rest are either okay or just bad. And also you could use your favorites if someone as dorky as myself say it's bad, it's fine. Just don't complain when people argue against it, it's a sign that you have more work ahead of you than things that've been praised.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

LightningKimba posted:

With Generation 5, there's Serperior who's the fastest SubSeeder in the game (Which middling stats outside of Speed)

He's not even that. Another Pure Grass type SubSeeder, Whimsicott, was introduced in the same gen has better base speed by 3 points AND can have prankster. It has Slightly worse defenses but a much better move pool. Serperior is just bad mechanically. Great design though.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
If Serperior ever gets its hidden ability then it will be more interesting/usable.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

He's not even that. Another Pure Grass type SubSeeder, Whimsicott, was introduced in the same gen has better base speed by 3 points AND can have prankster. It has Slightly worse defenses but a much better move pool. Serperior is just bad mechanically. Great design though.

Whimsicott is Grass/Fairy now though.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Serperior will stop being bad the second they finally give him Contrary.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

To be fair, Serperior is by far the best Coil user in the game. Doesn't exactly mean much, but it's there.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Starsnostars posted:

If Serperior ever gets its hidden ability then it will be more interesting/usable.

If by interesting you mean nigh-unstoppable death machine then yes.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Cyflan posted:

Whimsicott is Grass/Fairy now though.

Still 100% better choice than Serperior even with the weaknesses added. Whimsicotts movepool puts it heads and shoulders about basically any other annoyer in the game (Note: Have not faced many Klefki and haven't raised one myself so I don't know how they compare).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

LAY-ZX posted:

Serperior will stop being bad the second they finally give him Contrary.

Didn't someone run calcs how Leaf Storm Serperior isn't the god people make it out to be? ... In fact its only other coverage moves are Hidden Power and Dragon Pulse.

• Locked thread