Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

It is a glorified toy commercial, not a literary masterpiece. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Bring Dragonar back for a modern 2D SRW game, Banpresto. :allears:

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.

TK-31 posted:

It is a glorified toy commercial, not a literary masterpiece. :v:

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I uh...

...Is this a Dragonar lunchbox?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Does anybody know where I can acquire the BGM used for Hotblooded Combination Gosaurer and Saurer Magma Finish? The show isn't special but goddamn is the music amazing.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo3F6ekuYug

Hooooooooooooooooooooly poo poo.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, Tokyo Brass Style is pretty baller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-5hfFs9Xvc

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Broken Loose posted:

Does anybody know where I can acquire the BGM used for Hotblooded Combination Gosaurer and Saurer Magma Finish? The show isn't special but goddamn is the music amazing.

A bit of googling gave me this:
http://www.ecrater.com/p/18225082/go-saurer-saurers-note-1-original

I've never used ecrater so I have no idea how reliable it may be

However, if you don't want to spend 40bux for two songs, I uploaded them to Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYNth8nuI1U Hotblooded Combination Gosaurer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCKkP6snMr4 Saurer Magma Finish!!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Bandai is releasing a fully transforming Soul of Chogokin Gaogaigar.
As exciting as that is, I'm more interested in the Chogokin Kantam Robo.

http://collectiondx.com/news_item/11113/tamashii_nations_event_2013_chogokin_updated

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
That SOC Mazinkaizer with the rocket punch effects parts is cool as hell. I'd love a good transforming Genesic though. I wonder if they'll make them accessory parts to add to the existing one or a new model entirely.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Well I was going to get SRC Genesic GGG, but with SoC GaoGaiGar coming out I might say gently caress it and save my money for that :stare:

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Well I was going to get SRC Genesic GGG, but with SoC GaoGaiGar coming out I might say gently caress it and save my money for that :stare:

If they do the rest of the GGG team that would be glorious.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Revolver Bunker posted:

Some kind of... grand glorious gathering?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Some kind of... grand glorious gathering?
Gigantic Great Group.

Oblique Angle
Feb 11, 2011

God or the devil? Why not surpass them both?!

:aaa: Take my money! Take it all!!

Is there any sort of info regarding price or release date on these? I'm seriously considering that Kaiser; I've been looking for a good centerpiece for my Gunpla shelf.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

I'm still holding out for my SoC or SRC Dancouga Nova or God Sigma Gravion.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Oblique Angle posted:

Is there any sort of info regarding price or release date on these? I'm seriously considering that Kaiser; I've been looking for a good centerpiece for my Gunpla shelf.

Well first off, its Super Robot Chogokin, so its not big. Also it comes out at the end of this month so you may have missed the chance to preorder.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Schwarzwald posted:

Bandai is releasing a fully transforming Soul of Chogokin Gaogaigar.

http://collectiondx.com/news_item/11113/tamashii_nations_event_2013_chogokin_updated

Yeah, go ahead and just take all of my money you glorious jerks. And while you're at it, give me a fully functional Goldymarg + Goldion Hammer to go with him.

At least I have until some point in 2014 to get the money for it. :getin:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Revolver Bunker posted:

I don't know about Soul Of Chogokin, but most of the team has been represented in the Super Robot Chogokin line.

The most notably absent one is the J-Ark. I think (hope) they're busy designing something big for him.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
They arleady did a couple years ago.

IIRC, it's still supposed to come out as a $2000 kit or something.

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat
First six episodes of God Mars are on Hulu.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

What the gently caress? Hulu, you're weird. I'm not complaining, just... God Mars, of all things?

"Space is full of unfathomable mysteries" indeed. :psyduck:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
I love God Mars, but I don't think I would have chosen to make it available online.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Hopefully it'll leave out the second arc, because you can totally do that and still have a coherent show.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Justin_Brett posted:

Hopefully it'll leave out the second arc, because you can totally do that and still have a coherent show.

The second arc might be a completely separate show for how relevant it is.
It's kind of a shame, since it's actually not bad.

Of course, the best part of any arc is the combination and special attack footage.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I hope these weird Hulu anime choices eventually lead to a subbed '70s Gaiking. Wanna watch that sub. :allears:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

God Mars on Hulu? Sure, why not!

Between that and Lupin III Part 3 I have no idea why some folks are bringing out these strange choices for old anime to Hulu, but I'm glad they're doing it.

e: Oh I guess they also recently added Gatchaman. Not really a strange choice considering Battle of the Planets, but hey it's cool that it's easily available now.

Srice fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Nov 3, 2013

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Happy Scans, Dynamic Pro and Other Side Of Sky released Shin Mazinger Zero volume one. If you haven't read it yet now's a good time to pick it up.

http://happyscans.blogspot.com/2013/11/mist-story-4-7-and-shin-mazinger-zero.html

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

SpikeMcclane posted:

They arleady did a couple years ago.

IIRC, it's still supposed to come out as a $2000 kit or something.

God, PLEASE release King J-dar. Have it so the J-Bird can pop out and transform and be it's own little SOC.

J-Bird, PLUGU OUTO :allears:

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I watched the first episode of L-Gaim and it's weird. In a clumsy, funny way. Woman gets her arm cut off, gets mechanical replacement and is fine, while her henchman breaks his neck after a bad fall and gives his DYING WISH to the good guys.

Also, "women are scary!" HI TOMINO

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?

Schneider Heim posted:

I watched the first episode of L-Gaim and it's weird. In a clumsy, funny way. Woman gets her arm cut off, gets mechanical replacement and is fine, while her henchman breaks his neck after a bad fall and gives his DYING WISH to the good guys.

Also, "women are scary!" HI TOMINO

I'm a friend of one of the people who worked on subbing L-Gaim - apparently it's easily Tomino's most absurdly sexist show in that almost every problem is either caused by or blamed on women being flighty/inconstant/ruled by emotions. The dialogue by the later episodes skirts pretty close to "get back in the kitchen" levels of mud-slinging.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Bob Smith posted:

I'm a friend of one of the people who worked on subbing L-Gaim - apparently it's easily Tomino's most absurdly sexist show in that almost every problem is either caused by or blamed on women being flighty/inconstant/ruled by emotions. The dialogue by the later episodes skirts pretty close to "get back in the kitchen" levels of mud-slinging.
I find it hard to believe that it could be worse than Zeta Gundam in that regard.

This, of course, only makes me want to watch it more.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Was Zeta bad in that regard? I don't recall anything particularly egregious outside Recooa, but I haven't seen it in years so I could have forgotten lots of small things.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The way Reccoa was handled was pretty dumb but at least Emma was cool.

I think as far as that sort of thing goes with Tomino shows, it lies somewhere in the middle.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Can't speak for L-Gaim, but Victory Gundam was way worse than Zeta on gender issues. In it, Tomino posited through his characters (in quite explicit let's-sit-down-and-talk-about-Women discussion groups) that the most important role of a woman is to create life. Their ability to create life in turn makes their lives more valuable than those of men, which is why Tomino chose to illustrate the true horror of war by introducing an all-female squadron to be killed off one by one whilst naked, sexily-posing images of them flashed across the screen. Their bodycount was so high that they were reinforced halfway through the series so Tomino could maintain a steady supply of naked dead women until the series ended. However, Tomino also pointed out that since women were primarily designed to create life, they were less capable at everything else. Putting women in positions of power would by default lead to disaster, having women fight ran the risk of having their ~feelings as a woman~ overcome them, and so on. There were a couple of capable female soldiers, but it felt like they were more despite Tomino's best efforts than because of them - the lead female pilot, Marbet, temporarily retreated from battle when her unborn child telepathically told her to get back in the kitchen and make him a sandwich. Also, because a woman's greatest value is in creating life, the worst crime a woman can commit is by renouncing that and destroying life instead, which was what made the primary villainess, Katejina, so horrible, evil, and irredeemable, and why another female villain was temporarily (and fatally) distracted by the revelation that oh my god women can give birth.

I poo poo you not - this was all very explicitly spelled out.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Nov 10, 2013

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

which is why Tomino chose to illustrate the true horror of war by introducing an all-female squadron to be killed off one by one whilst naked, sexily-posing images of them flashed across the screen.
This isn't true. The whole newtype nakedness is symbolic of the how complete the connection is. That said it never happens with the Shrike Team. Nor did they get reinforcements.

Did you watch the show raw or something?

Also the woman who was "distracted by the revelation that oh my god women can give birth" was plum loving space crazy from oxygen deprivation like Amuro's dad.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guyver posted:

This isn't true. The whole newtype nakedness is symbolic of the how complete the connection is. That said it never happens with the Shrike Team. Nor did they get reinforcements.

Did you watch the show raw or something?

Also the woman who was "distracted by the revelation that oh my god women can give birth" was plum loving space crazy from oxygen deprivation like Amuro's dad.

no, that's how Tomino uses nakedness in his other shows, but in Victory, it's generally linked with the death of an attractive female character. And yes, it does happen every time a Shrike Team character dies. You want me to get specific episode and timestamps? Because I can.

As for Fuala, yes she was crazy, but it's a specific kind of crazy that fits thematically with other, saner characters' opinions on childbirth and the role of women in the show.

Adam Strange
Oct 11, 2012

He laughs. The line goes dead.

Darth Walrus posted:

no, that's how Tomino uses nakedness in his other shows, but in Victory, it's generally linked with the death of an attractive female character. And yes, it does happen every time a Shrike Team character dies. You want me to get specific episode and timestamps? Because I can.

This definitely doesn't happen in that stretch in the early teens where the first three Shrike Team members die. There are brief reaction shots, but that's like every character in every mecha anime. I don't remember when the others bite it, so I can't check those, though.

Guyver posted:

Happy Scans, Dynamic Pro and Other Side Of Sky released Shin Mazinger Zero volume one. If you haven't read it yet now's a good time to pick it up.

http://happyscans.blogspot.com/2013/11/mist-story-4-7-and-shin-mazinger-zero.html

Speaking of Weird poo poo With Women, there's a really gross and off-putting sequence in this. Kouji tossing his severed arm at his robot Doctor Octopus grandpa was cool, I guess?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Isn't Shin Mazinger Zero all nothing but awful creepy fanservice and excessive super violence? That's all I've ever seen from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Isn't Shin Mazinger Zero all nothing but awful creepy fanservice and excessive super violence? That's all I've ever seen from it.

I was the same way. From what I've been told there's some good concepts if you can look past the shameful fanservice and the fact that it turns the Mazingers into a dick waving contest. I will admit, I'm gonna give it a shot, but only because they put a goddamn insert song of Kanjite Knight into the manga.

• Locked thread