Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Seriously, why did the devs feel that it made sense to give Mictlan BUFFS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

amuayse posted:

Well they were able to kill like 17 out of the 30 W9B9 jags. Only took 120 slingers.

I was actually thinking Serpent Dancers.

The Sharmat posted:

Seriously, why did the devs feel that it made sense to give Mictlan BUFFS?

Any balance mod that doesn't approach this issue is not a balance mod.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Well it's not really a buff, it's just that they may have accidentally added another 0 when they were working out the MR values for BV.
I will try B9F9 Jags vs D9W9 Serpent Dancers next.
It seems pretty alright. The poison's effect was really negligible though, it was the undying and high defense that kept the dancers alive longer than 2 seconds.

amuayse fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 1, 2013

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
MR values are probably the same or similar to what they were for BV in Dom 3, it's just that now you're making 20x as many checks because you're facing so many blessed troops.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
Yeah the old blood vengance was exceptionally rare i dont think many units had it at all of which the vast majority were national summons.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Is MA Ermor (or its new equivalent in Dom 4 since MA Ermor is now LA Ermor) any better? Because I always loved the concept but it was such a one trick pony.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

The Sharmat posted:

Is MA Ermor (or its new equivalent in Dom 4 since MA Ermor is now LA Ermor) any better? Because I always loved the concept but it was such a one trick pony.

Isn't that the concept, though? Everything dies and the undead horde marches forward?

Flavor-wise, in MA, there's Sceleria which is not-totally-undead-Ermor embracing Death magic. They have a recruitable Sacred undead unit, their Priests can lead & free-summon the undead, and they have a strong STR Astral/Death Mage along with the usual mix of human Ermor infantry.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Victor Vermis posted:

Flavor-wise, in MA, there's Sceleria which is not-totally-undead-Ermor embracing Death magic. They have a recruitable Sacred undead unit, their Priests can lead & free-summon the undead, and they have a strong STR Astral/Death Mage along with the usual mix of human Ermor infantry.

That's the one I meant. What do you do with it other than summon a bunch of undead legionnaires?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Wights?

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

The Sharmat posted:

That's the one I meant. What do you do with it other than summon a bunch of undead legionnaires?

From what I know (take it with a grain of salt) Scelaria is effectively identical to old MA Ermor.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Lilli posted:

From what I know (take it with a grain of salt) Scelaria is effectively identical to old MA Ermor.

So it's basically shadow vestals and summoned skeleton legionaries.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Shadow Vestals & Londead Horsemen & Principes are a very effective combination, particularly if you can get yourself good archers somehow. Just inflict more gold-casualties than you receive.

A x9E4 bless on an imprisoned god gives you a powerful expansion and helps the Thaumaturgs do very well in communions - lots of Soul Slay and Nether Darts. Probably F9 statue of War, though I think a W9 gives the Vestals more survivability.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Death Weapons and Undying from the D bless maybe useful as well. Also, the niche strategy of summoning 13 wights for 20 gems using Revive Wights using an dormant D10 pretender.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

*cough*

"Blood Vengeance - reworked since D3, now instead of reflecting damage, if the attacker fails a MR check, he will take damage as well as the defender. (In D3 the defender wouldn't receive the damage) Like D3, the returned damage will be post protections and resistance, but pre things like mistform, etherealness, air shield, luck and mirror image."

*cough*

Ethereal, lucky BV vestals: literally adding injury to insult.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

imo new bv isn't really a buff to mictlan because s9f9w9 is still better

The problem with mictlan is that jags and eagle warriors are too cheap, there is zero reason not to tank your scales for a tribless. MA mictlan was the strongest dom3 nation imo

Flavahbeast fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Nov 1, 2013

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
^
You could just sent them to guard commander, and the battle would already be over. :aaaaa:

Korhal
Aug 9, 2007
Chaos and evolution, baby.
Could I please get accepted on Brainwinkle? I applied with the same name of Korhal.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Flavahbeast posted:

imo new bv isn't really a buff to mictlan because s9f9w9 is still better

The problem with mictlan is that jags and eagle warriors are too cheap, there is zero reason not to tank your scales for a tribless. MA mictlan was the strongest dom3 nation imo

What's the logic? I'd think archers+battlefield evo is a bigger overall threat to jagspam than...master enslave?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

The extra strength doesn't do their 3 attacks per turn any harm either.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Tulip posted:

What's the logic? I'd think archers+battlefield evo is a bigger overall threat to jagspam than...master enslave?

S9 is for Twist Fate, it means way less attrition in the early game which in turn means you're much more likely to have the forts you need to crank out 50+ eagle warriors every turn. B9 is a cool counter to battlefield evo and it lets your hard hitting units hit even harder, I think if I play mictlan again I'll go with B9S9W9 but if I had to choose between b9f9w9 and s9f9w9 I'd choose s9f9w9

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

tooterfish posted:

*cough*

"Blood Vengeance - reworked since D3, now instead of reflecting damage, if the attacker fails a MR check, he will take damage as well as the defender. (In D3 the defender wouldn't receive the damage) Like D3, the returned damage will be post protections and resistance, but pre things like mistform, etherealness, air shield, luck and mirror image."

*cough*

Ethereal, lucky BV vestals: literally adding injury to insult.

Huh. I wonder how Blood would mix with that nation...

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Not terribly well really.

They have no recruitable blood hunters, so you'd be stuck with your pretender at first. You could maybe empower an arch-theurg with blood and have them summon vampire lords to hunt for you... but that's a lot of research, the game would probably be over before you could leverage it to any extent.

I was only being half serious. The specific effects of BV are something worth considering strategically though... it's just a shame the information is so vague. What the hell does "things like" mean exactly?

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 1, 2013

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
For what its worth I think B9F9W9 is a better bless for EA or LA mictlan, but I'd definitely say S9 is better for MA Mictlan. Eagle warriors are just too squishy relative to jags, but the more durability and two forms of jags makes them get more benefit from the BV and their second form with three attacks really benefits from a strength boost. That being said, I don't know if B9S9W9 would be better than taking F9, its an interesting idea that I'd be willing to try.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

I don't think Scelaria would get much out of B9 on its god, and I think quickness or flaming weapons adds badly-needed killing power to Shadow Vestals.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Lilli posted:

For what its worth I think B9F9W9 is a better bless for EA or LA mictlan, but I'd definitely say S9 is better for MA Mictlan. Eagle warriors are just too squishy relative to jags, but the more durability and two forms of jags makes them get more benefit from the BV and their second form with three attacks really benefits from a strength boost. That being said, I don't know if B9S9W9 would be better than taking F9, its an interesting idea that I'd be willing to try.

I agree with this except I really like f9 for jags for +atk and magic weapons for hitting a lot more and killing stuff with eth and mistform.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

W9 for jags that gotta go fast and throw more attacks and get hit by less attacks.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

jBrereton posted:

As it currently stands, the only things you can mod about forts is their cost on a nation-by-nation basis, what 'era' each faction has, and how much of a resource bonus they give you.

drat. If I could mod the admin value on upgrades, that could be nifty.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Yeah, you don't get a lot of admin for the outlay.

Jines
Aug 6, 2006
Anyone have much experience with Asphodel so far? I really, really like the concept, but the whole reanimating dead forest creatures seems to have a huge luck component - how many forested areas are near to get some non-poo poo carrion in general, whether you ever manage to get an elephant carcass, etc. I think my own shortcoming is that I try to play like old MA-Ermor and ignore living troops in order to run whole armies of mannikins that get completely slaughtered whenever they face high-level priests. When they don't get wiped out, it's really fun to watch whole swathes of enemy troops pass out on the battlefield, but that's proving to be pretty rare so far. Is there any way to make them survive long enough to do appreciable fatigue damage?

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010
Might be a bug with invulnerability (25, from spell) and #secondshape; a snakeform lamia queen was rolling low teen protection rolls in the combat log against mundane weapons, instead of the mid 20's rolls she had been getting in human form. Unless I'm missing something, it looks like she was getting just the 10 base protection of the snake form, instead of any benefit of invulnerability.

No source of AP that I saw (i.e. weapon or fatigue).

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Big Sean posted:

Might be a bug with invulnerability (25, from spell) and #secondshape; a snakeform lamia queen was rolling low teen protection rolls in the combat log against mundane weapons, instead of the mid 20's rolls she had been getting in human form. Unless I'm missing something, it looks like she was getting just the 10 base protection of the snake form, instead of any benefit of invulnerability.

No source of AP that I saw (i.e. weapon or fatigue).

Does she have invulnerability on the snake form?

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010

builds character posted:

Does she have invulnerability on the snake form?

Yes it shows as her having invulnerability, just didn't look like it was working.

Shiva Asori
Mar 5, 2010
Hey brainwrinkle, just saying hi for the brainwrinkle.net Goon Game service.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
How do you play EA and MA Arco? Specifically, what magic to research?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Mostly evo, a little thaum for communions and some Conj & Alt for buffs.

Edit: You really need to get to at lease Evo 4, preferably 5 or 6 for your Mystics to really be effective. The EA Cap-only can thug or Tstrike, so I'd be interested in trying or hearing about an Alt-heavy research program to focus on troop buffs. Particularly now that Reverse Communions are gone.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Nov 4, 2013

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

amuayse posted:

How do you play EA and MA Arco? Specifically, what magic to research?

I know EA best. MA has better troops and face fewer giants, so it might be somewhat different.
Lots of ways to go early on(i.e. level 3 and under).

Conjuration so you have tangle vines, earth/fire power and summon ogres/vinemen for an emergency.
Construction has owl quills and legions of steel, with lvl 4 stuff within reach if needed.
Enchantment has claymen/str of giants, with Flaming arrows at level 4.
Alt has mistform and other small buffs, but with StR Oreiads, this is less useful.
Evo of course has many good spells you can use but less likely to make a huge difference under level 3 since the good spells are largely single target.
Thaum has mind burn/communions early and site search spells, but again less useful early and you can get mystics/priestesses to site search most paths manually. Communions largely suck now, so don't get to excited about them.

Anyway this just plays into the troop heavy meta of dom4, with getting cheap summons to flesh out your armies and large army buffs to make them survive longer.

After that you can push some Evo for the big spells. Roll down Conjuration for more troop summons. Construction for more path boosters. Alt for battlefield wide buffs. Hope you get death for bane lords/Tarts I guess.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Yeah, EA's troops are plain awful however and the lack of bows hurts as well. Especially considering all the crazy races in the same era. :( It'll be hard to expand without an awake pretender. How are the Wind Riders and Heart Companions though?

amuayse fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Nov 4, 2013

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Heart companions are a strait-up better Hoplite. Don't build a bless around them, but recruit them preferntially. Better stats, lower upkeep, and blessable.

Wind riders I have no experience it.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
Im playing EA Arco atm and not having a super combatant god as the pretender for my team is hurting me really hard, if you come up against any sort of actually decent troops like W9 bless ermor/tien chi/vanheim like me then you struggle to really put out anything at all that can match them without heavy mage support.

Wind Riders i have found to be equivalent to throwing giant sacks of gold at the enemy they do little to nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Try decapitating their armies with seductions?

Script an Oreiad with aim+lightning bolts, the research for that is pretty low, should screw over anything dumb enough to say no.

• Locked thread