Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

historical fiction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Al! posted:

im not sure how talking animals isnt fantasy unless youre schitzophrenic

all fiction is fantasy

all fantasy is fiction

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Dead Inside Darwin posted:

all fiction is fantasy

all fantasy is fiction

i see youre using the if it isnt some half baked medieval tolkien ripoff it isnt fantasy definition

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

historical fiction

redwall: the proof of concept that showed you can write a book series mostly about food. grrm for children.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Al! posted:

i see youre using the if it isnt some half baked medieval tolkien ripoff it isnt fantasy definition

eh not really, i just dont like the definition of fantasy being "has an element or two thats unrealistic"

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

eh not really, i just dont like the definition of fantasy being "has an element or two thats unrealistic"

lol

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
the unrealistic part is when members of the rabbit civilization interact with a seagull

hth

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

historical fiction

I remember picking that book out in the elementary school library because it looked neat and having no idea what was going on when I tried reading it. I looked up the summary just now and still have no idea what the gently caress. Seems like a really convoluted plot with a ton of characters for something that has talking animals, but maybe its just because I haven't read any of the series.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

I remember picking that book out in the elementary school library because it looked neat and having no idea what was going on when I tried reading it. I looked up the summary just now and still have no idea what the gently caress. Seems like a really convoluted plot with a ton of characters for something that has talking animals, but maybe its just because I haven't read any of the series.

i wasnt exaggerating when i implied it was got for kids. tons of food (it has official loving cookbooks) and characters and like 10 plots at once

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
just as long as it's not shelved in the fantasy section OR I WILL SCREAM

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

iirc that one is late in the series and the early ones don't have that problem, he just fell into the usual genre trap of a long-running series being smothered by its overgrown mythology

loved them when I was a kid, saw him at a live reading once

e: drat there are a lot more of those books than I remembered

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
well he's dead now so there

Hashtag Nascar
Jan 4, 2012

you can disregard the left hand side of that flow chart

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Levar Burton also has the new Reading Rainbow going so I doubt he's hurting for money.

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

Anything that actually suggests you read the Silmarillion as a "fantasy 102" book is a garbage flowchart. Really no one should read it, its a novel length appendix. Thanks Christopher for giving us all the stuff that your dad knew better than to include when actually setting about the task of telling a story.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
reading the silmarillion is like reading the bible cover to cover

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

reminder dont show your kids watership down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5I9izys2ek

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

reminder dont show your kids watership down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5I9izys2ek

jesus christ how horrifying

marilyn manson should never be listened to

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
was reading the wikipedia entry for the giver and found out this

quote:

A film is being adapted which was given the green light in December 2012. Jeff Bridges is set to play The Giver[19] and Brenton Thwaites will play Jonas, Meryl Streep, Katie Holmes, Alexander Skarsgård, and Taylor Swift will also appear in the film.

this actually might not be bad

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

hubris.height posted:

was reading the wikipedia entry for the giver

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

historical fiction

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

haveblue posted:

it's not zany like the guide, it should feel more sardonic like banks

it's probably better than that d&d book but don't read the sequels

oh god the sequels

stet stet stet rish stet rish stet rish rish stet rish

its a neat setting but christ almighty niven cannot write for poo poo

also im more offended by sword of truth being on that chart than wot

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

hubris.height posted:

altered carbon is currently in my maybelist. in the 'should prolly read' list are the road, the dispossessed, handmaid's tale, book of the new sun, and snow crash. the rest of the poo poo i wanna read is non-fuction

i just finished handmaid's tale on the recommendation of the thread. it was really good as a thought experiment but atwood never seems to make anything exciting. i read oryx and crake before and had the same reaction after finishing.

i still advise reading it but dont expect to be entertained by it

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

DiggityDoink posted:

i just finished handmaid's tale on the recommendation of the thread. it was really good as a thought experiment but atwood never seems to make anything exciting.
agreed. handmaids tale really could have benefited from some explosions, maybe a chase through a crowded metropolis on flying motorcycles, and a wisecracking alien or maybe robot sidekick.

oh and a ninja attack

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

ahahaha

i thought that was based on his father's life tho

at any rate it's the only comic to win a pulitzer YOU HEAR ME GIRLFRIEND COMICS ARE TOO AN ADULT PASSTIME

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Gus Hobbleton posted:

oh god the sequels

stet stet stet rish stet rish stet rish rish stet rish

its a neat setting but christ almighty niven cannot write for poo poo

niven's smoke ring trilogy is p dece and doesnt really feature a lot of fuckin

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Dr. Mint posted:

jadzazeeeeya dax was just boring

she was hot they just gave her terrible hair all of the time

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

FMguru posted:

agreed. handmaids tale really could have benefited from some explosions, maybe a chase through a crowded metropolis on flying motorcycles, and a wisecracking alien or maybe robot sidekick.

oh and a ninja attack

yup cause thats totally what i said

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

DiggityDoink posted:

yup cause thats totally what i said
then lets hear your ideas about how add excitement to handmaids tail. maybe the main character has an identical twin she doesnt know about who is also a serial killer and the main character has until midnight before her twin kills again? would that make it exciting enough for you?

e: also add in wookies and jedis

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

FMguru posted:

then lets hear your ideas about how add excitement to handmaids tail. maybe the main character has an identical twin she doesnt know about who is also a serial killer and the main character has until midnight before her twin kills again? would that make it exciting enough for you?

quit strawmanning you bitchbaby

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Sham bam bamina! posted:

strawmanning you bitchbaby

mmmmmmmmods

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

FMguru posted:

holy poo poo you sure are mad about a book i said was really good

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice
i'm an uncultured peon so i never actually read her work but margarett atwood has always come off to me as an unbearably stuck up old person whos cripplingly afraid of the future, not exactly what u want in a sci-fi writter

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

DiggityDoink posted:

holy poo poo you sure are mad about a book i said was really good

things are eithwr perfect or absolute poo poo there is no such thing as minor or constructive criticism

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

Gus Hobbleton posted:

things are eithwr perfect or absolute poo poo

a firm long poop w/o straining, one wipe only, no bowl residue

hmm seems like myth busted

MindSet
Dec 21, 2008

If this goes badly, and I make a crater, I want it named after me!

hubris.height posted:

altered carbon

my envoy training

MindSet
Dec 21, 2008

If this goes badly, and I make a crater, I want it named after me!
altered carbon is wish fulfillment junk

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
jadzeeya or w.e had gr8 big boobs <3 i like to look at em. a lot. :-)

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

hubris.height posted:

yeah if i didn't have so much free time i would've used the credit on something i knew would be good but i figured two long rear end books for literally free to pass time listening seems good

still got one book credit left, how is ready player one?

i'd never heard of it but my friend is listening to it and was telling me that it was good. everything he said about it made it sound awful. his taste in books is pretty suspect in general so i'd say no

he snuck into the ender's game movie after seeing gravity last night and was astonished to discover that ender's game was very bad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”
I found Altered Carbon + Sequels reminded me a lot of Peter F Hamilton stuff

• Locked thread