Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
When hard boiling, older eggs do shell better. Lot of times I've bought some from the store for egg salad, so shelling isn't a pain in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

unprofessional posted:

When hard boiling, older eggs do shell better. Lot of times I've bought some from the store for egg salad, so shelling isn't a pain in the rear end.

:haw: I never tought of doing a google search on how to peel fresh eggs, because I kinda gave up eating boiled eggs. i just hate trying to peel them. I fought this:

http://queenofthereddoublewide.com/how-to-easily-peel-farm-fresh-eggs/

I'm so gonna try that this weekend

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
My deviled eggs are a success! My parents hate flavor, so I was limited in seasoning (usually I go nuts). They were more like 'reassembled eggs' with a bit of mustard and mayo, but they passed muster! I made the celery relish on the side and topped my own as I pleased.

This stuff is great.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20129016/

Thank you, horribly abused battery hens that provided this batch of eggs! I love you, and wish my family agreed with my crazy ideas like 'decency towards food animals'. Oh well. One day...

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010

Nettle Soup posted:

Harder to burn, and I can't seem to crack a supermarket (free range) egg without breaking the yolk.

I may be wrong, but I remember reading that the yolk gets easier and easier to break as the egg ages.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Chido posted:

:haw: I never tought of doing a google search on how to peel fresh eggs, because I kinda gave up eating boiled eggs. i just hate trying to peel them. I fought this:

I tried it. It works. Plus the little bubbles coming up from the eggs is cute. :)

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Chido posted:

Boiling them in a baking soda solution works too.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Sugar grumpily inadvertantly posed for some Halloween pictures the other day when she was out wandering the front yard.

She was not amused in the slightest. Grumpy old, old lady face.

All those new feathers are coming along nicely, tho! Rose, out in the run is also molting--and it's a catastrophic molt that would do Bear proud, lordy. She's a pincushion.

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
Had to rescue one of the bantams from the creek. As soon as he was on land, he peered over at the water, screeched and jumped in again.
I think he was attacking his own reflection. :cripes:

Do you have problems with the chickens trying to pick the marbles off that ball in the background? Mine try to ruin everything remotely shiny.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

No, well...Sugar can't see it, it's just another 'thing' in the yard, just like the rubber rat.

My chickens really don't care about shiny things, except mirrors. They seriously LOVE looking at themselves in mirrors (but don't attack the reflections), to the point where we put some old curbside-find mirrored closet doors out there for them.

'Aren't we beautiful, mother?'
'Why yes, son--yes we are.'

And yours sound like typical psycho bantams. :keke:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

c355n4 posted:

Someone please do this to your chickens.

Fred and Weedcat fell victim to this on Chickam today.

ApathyGirl
Aug 24, 2013

Velvet Sparrow posted:

PLEASE tell me there is video.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

I can't record it--for whatever stupid reason we don't even HAVE the 'Record' button on UStream anymore, so maybe someone else did. If not--hey, there's always next week for more Wattle Wiggle humiliation opportunities. :v:

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Some pictures of the chooks to show their progress:

Red Lady

Bigwig

Fluffbutt

Scraggers

All together

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Ahahahaha! What an adorably floppy comb! :3:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

I LOVE SCRAGGERS! Now THAT is a comb with style--it can't quite seem to pick a direction it wants to fall--and she appears to have tons of attitude to go with it.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Nov 5, 2013

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Yeah, Scraggers is secretly my favorite as well. She was the most battered, pathetic looking one of the lot when we we got her and she's just blossomed into a cheeky pain in the arse :3: Always pecking at my fingers, toes, or shoelaces (or phone when I'm trying to take her picture :argh:).

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

c355n4 posted:

Someone please do this to your chickens.

ApathyGirl posted:

PLEASE tell me there is video.

Wattle War between Fred and Weedcat!

http://youtu.be/eMVFPb6n19E

below: Weedcat hangs his head as he prepares to be humiliated.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Poor Weeds. :keke:

The kid still had her 'werewolf' Halloween fingernail polish on, I see. Thanks for recording! We'll have to see who um...'volunteers' for Wattle Wiggle Wars THIS weekend.

Also, I think that Scraggers should be wattle wiggled.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
"Hey, 'insert daughter name here', go out and finger the rooster's waddles for the internet."

":sigh:" Okay, MOM."

ApathyGirl
Aug 24, 2013

Inveigle posted:

Wattle War between Fred and Weedcat!

http://youtu.be/eMVFPb6n19E

below: Weedcat hangs his head as he prepares to be humiliated.

[/quote]

OMG that was just the best ever! Yay! Thank you!!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Suspect Bucket posted:

"Hey, 'insert daughter name here', go out and finger the rooster's waddles for the internet."

":sigh:" Okay, MOM."

It was HER idea. :colbert:
My kid was raised RIGHT.

Also, if she was fingering his WADDLES rather than his WATTLES, this would have been a whole different video. :gonk:

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Velvet Sparrow posted:

It was HER idea. :colbert:
My kid was raised RIGHT.

Also, if she was fingering his WADDLES rather than his WATTLES, this would have been a whole different video. :gonk:

Oh gawd :barf:

None of my hens have any decent wattles to finger, so I'll have to bug Tabasco for some hot comb and wattle action.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

I was looking around this morning for this Saturday's victims and realized that I have mostly breeds with NO WATTLES. I wonder if fluffing face tufts would do?

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Velvet Sparrow posted:

I was looking around this morning for this Saturday's victims and realized that I have mostly breeds with NO WATTLES. I wonder if fluffing face tufts would do?

Yes! Even if it isn't as funny, it will definitely be cuter.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Hey, weirdos, stop fingering your chickens and post more pictures of awesome roosters, etc!

ps. Found a connection for hatching black swans for spring '14. :cool:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

My coworker has a small flock of leghorns and he was telling me that the other day his wife was carrying around one of their girls and the chicken laid an egg in midair that went splat.

So now he gives her a hard time for squeezing an egg out of a chicken :)

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

unprofessional posted:

Hey, weirdos, stop fingering your chickens and post more pictures of awesome roosters, etc!

FINE. Have Silkie hen in a Big Bird costume, then.

Not mine, I found this on Chickens Magazine's Twitter.

EDIT: Bonus bad headline in one of the local papers: http://www.recordcourier.com/news/local/8768671-113/grouse-sage-fish-listing?utm_source=swift_rss&utm_section=Local

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Nov 6, 2013

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
That is horrifying.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Saw that photo and said,"Nonononono." out loud.

That is wrong on so many levels.

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 6, 2013

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Where does the chicken end and the costume begin?!

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Also, I think that Scraggers should be wattle wiggled.

Great Success!

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Are you making a noise when you do that? :D

You totally are.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Wattle, wattle, wattle.'

or

'Wattle wiggle, wattle wiggle, wattle wiggle.'

OR

'DEEDLE DEEDLE DEEDLE!'*

*Not that that's the noise *I* make when I do that.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Velvet Sparrow posted:

'Wattle, wattle, wattle.'

or

'Wattle wiggle, wattle wiggle, wattle wiggle.'

OR

'DEEDLE DEEDLE DEEDLE!'*

*Not that that's the noise *I* make when I do that.

aahahahahahahahaha

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Hey woah I am a serious backyard chicken keeper and any insinuation that I would make a "wigglewigglewiggle" noise while I wiggle the wattle of a chicken is baseless slander. :colbert:

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

thatbastardken posted:

Hey woah I am a serious backyard chicken keeper and any insinuation that I would make a "wigglewigglewiggle" noise while I wiggle the wattle of a chicken is baseless slander. :colbert:

Hey Ken, how many bitcoins will you give me in exchange for not showing the goons what you actually say? :heysexy:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

thatbastardken posted:

How many wattles would thatbastardken wiggle if thatbastardken could wiggle wattles? Would wattles be wiggled Wednesday if thatbastardken wouldn't wiggle wattles without warning?

Great, now I'm dizzy and can taste metal.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Velvet Sparrow posted:

How many wattles would thatbastardken wiggle if thatbastardken could wiggle wattles? Would wattles be wiggled Wednesday if thatbastardken wouldn't wiggle wattles without warning?
What?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Chido posted:

Hey Ken, how many bitcoins will you give me in exchange for not showing the goons what you actually say? :heysexy:

All of them, let me just open my wallet and... poo poo, all of my bitcoins have been taken by a business claiming they would ship me fancy chickens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

COCKS. A lovely, new photo book of roosters (and a few hens) by award-winning photographer Ernest Goh. You can only order it directly from Goh, using Paypal. $29 gets you an autographed copy. 96 pages. Full color images of fantastic cocks.

Link to the book at Goh's online shop: http://www.ernestgoh.com/shop/

CNN has a slideshow of some of Goh's chicken photos here: http://cnnphotos.blogs.cnn.com/2013/11/06/chicken-portraits/?hpt=hp_bn14

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Inveigle fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Nov 9, 2013