Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

I doubt Starfleet was still building them; just that they built so many back in the old days and the drat things just keep on going.

The 70s Chevy of Starfleet. They run like poo poo, but they'll run like poo poo forever.

Watched the TNG episode with the wormhole earlier this week. So thaaat's where those Ferengi in Voyager came from!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

FourLeaf posted:

So I'm going through Voyager and I've reached the point where it's basically The Doctor and Seven of Nine Show. About Seven of Nine, normally I wouldn't be this bothered that they added a character purely for fanservice, except it's SO blatant and Seven's character has SO much potential that is being mostly wasted. And I think Jeri Ryan is a good actress so if the writers had actually tried her character could have been really interesting :sigh:

I felt the same way about Seven of Nine for a while, but overall they managed to do a pretty good job with her rather than wasting all of her potential. Also I know this is dangerous to admit to on the modern internet and it might come back to haunt me, but I really didn't mind seeing Jeri Ryan in a skintight suit.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Phy posted:

The 70s Chevy of Starfleet. They run like poo poo, but they'll run like poo poo forever.

Watched the TNG episode with the wormhole earlier this week. So thaaat's where those Ferengi in Voyager came from!

They should of have one of the Ferengi join the crew. They already had him under contract and the Ferengi character did not have the "implications" of his other.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Just started season 6 of DS9. Basic impressions:

Gul Dukat, why you gotta be such a gross, terrifying rapist?

Weyoun being a domineering dick to everyone else and then grovelling adoringly before grumpy, cuddly Odo is incredibly amusing.

Oh my god Kira just make out with him already

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

bobkatt013 posted:

They should of have one of the Ferengi join the crew. They already had him under contract and the Ferengi character did not have the "implications" of his other.

Space Ron Paulites are the best.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

DemeaninDemon posted:

Space Ron Paulites are the best.

That makes me wonder! How did the Ferengi economy ever manage to get enough liquidity to function on the scale of an interstellar civilization, when it was based on latinum standard?

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

DrSunshine posted:

That makes me wonder! How did the Ferengi economy ever manage to get enough liquidity to function on the scale of an interstellar civilization, when it was based on latinum standard?

I always assumed that latinum was only adopted as a unit of currency after replicators became commonplace, because it can't be replicated. If we all had replicators, cash would become worthless overnight.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
Quark: Someone's extracted all the latinum! There's nothing here but worthless gold!
Odo: And it's all yours.
Quark: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

I imagine whoever had the most replicator fuel would be the richest. So whoever poops the most I guess.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes

LEGO Genetics posted:

Quark: Someone's extracted all the latinum! There's nothing here but worthless gold!
Odo: And it's all yours.
Quark: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I liked this joke, that gold is worthless to most species in the galaxy. The only problem I have with it though is it's been shown in TNG and previous DS9 episodes that Ferengi will accept gold as a legitimate form of currency.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

What about water? Where is that on the hierarchy?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme posted:

I liked this joke, that gold is worthless to most species in the galaxy. The only problem I have with it though is it's been shown in TNG and previous DS9 episodes that Ferengi will accept gold as a legitimate form of currency.

Didn't they want gold right inDS9 when they went back in time to area 51? You know, the time odo figured out how to not only make realistic hair, but a full body of it, and then promptly forgot again.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Just rewatched the Visitor and I know it got talked about a few pages ago already but drat, even having a dad whos guts I hate that poo poo still hits home :smith:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

bobkatt013 posted:

What about water? Where is that on the hierarchy?
Water is available in gigaton loads throughout this solar system and presumably many others, if you are willing to do a little ice mining. I presume desert worlds stay that way because I guess making Vulcan wetter would be like making Earth drier or something? Kill all the sehlats and what not.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Nessus posted:

Water is available in gigaton loads throughout this solar system and presumably many others, if you are willing to do a little ice mining. I presume desert worlds stay that way because I guess making Vulcan wetter would be like making Earth drier or something? Kill all the sehlats and what not.

Explain that to the Kazon's

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

bobkatt013 posted:

Explain that to the Kazon's
I think we can see why they were unworthy of assimilation.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Trent posted:

Didn't they want gold right inDS9 when they went back in time to area 51? You know, the time odo figured out how to not only make realistic hair, but a full body of it, and then promptly forgot again.

Well they were stuck on a planet where gold is one of the most valuable resources. You could probably spin it into something useful on some backwater shithole that hasn't figured out replicators yet.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Were the Kazons supposed to be limited to just that sun in space travel or something because yeah, what the hell is up with the water thing?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

Were the Kazons supposed to be limited to just that sun in space travel or something because yeah, what the hell is up with the water thing?

I think it was suppose to be that they are in uncharted space and everything they took for granted was tossed out the window. That finding simple things such as water was going to be a challange. BSG did a much better job of it as there was an episode in which they were looking for water since they were running out. However, the diffrence between the two was that in BSG the stakes were always their and they did not have things such as replicators. Basicly Voyager Voyagered it.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The Kazon were an enslaved race. The only reason they're not living in huts is because they rebelled and killed their former masters, and stole their ships. They barely know how to pilot them.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

If you give a Kazon a replicated cookie, he's going to want to laugh maniacally and wage war against the factions in his region of space.

-Neelix, on that television show he had in the one episode and they forgot about

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

showbiz_liz posted:

I always assumed that latinum was only adopted as a unit of currency after replicators became commonplace, because it can't be replicated. If we all had replicators, cash would become worthless overnight.

It's still weird though because they're still tied to physical money and their currency is presumably backed by latinum, rather than just having all money be represented as numbers in ledgers.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

It's still weird though because they're still tied to physical money and their currency is presumably backed by latinum, rather than just having all money be represented as numbers in ledgers.

*clanks a couple bars together*

You hear that? That's latinum.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The real question is how many Quatloos a brick of latinum will buy you.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I love Quatloos. Quatloos Quatloos Quatloos

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The Gamesters of Triskelion are so removed from reality, they have no longer any idea that a quatloo is more or less a deer. So they're waging bets of deer at one another. Because why not.

Deer.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Adam Bowen posted:

Also I know this is dangerous to admit to on the modern internet and it might come back to haunt me, but I really didn't mind seeing Jeri Ryan in a skintight suit.

Ehhh it shouldn't be dangerous. Once the character is out there it would be dumb to demand people pretend Jeri Ryan isn't attractive. My ire is reserved for the people who approved such a ridiculous design in the first place. It's been pointed out before how inappropriate the costume is in the context of the character's backstory, but too bad, we just gotta get asses in seats watching our show (as opposed to relying on interesting plots, characters, etc.)!

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The funny thing about Seven's leotard is it's an attempt to make her "sexy" and drag in the horny dude audience. But whenever they found an excuse to jam Jeri Ryan into an actual costume, be it a Starfleet jumper or period clothes on the holodeck, she looks way more attractive. It's one of those weird things, you know? It's like Jolene Blalock, she looked not nearly as hot as they were intending in that weird mottled catsuit, but then there's a lot of things about first season T'pol which looked weird and offputting, so...

Captain Geech
Mar 14, 2008

I've made a huge mistake.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

The funny thing about Seven's leotard is it's an attempt to make her "sexy" and drag in the horny dude audience. But whenever they found an excuse to jam Jeri Ryan into an actual costume, be it a Starfleet jumper or period clothes on the holodeck, she looks way more attractive. It's one of those weird things, you know? It's like Jolene Blalock, she looked not nearly as hot as they were intending in that weird mottled catsuit, but then there's a lot of things about first season T'pol which looked weird and offputting, so...

It was the same thing with Troi. She looked waaaaay better in the standard uniform instead of that dumb "sexy" counsellor's outfit.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Catsuits made out of upholstery remnants leftover from making family restaurant booths just aren't flattering.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Who was doing costume design at this point? Because they were really bad at it. Seven looks really ridiculous with her super padded bust and the glittery material looks awful in SD. When they finally get around to HD Voyager, I think that thing will not hold up at all.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

The CGI already doesn't hold up very well, so it'll just add to the wonder. Also in watching a bunch of them because I enjoy the worst in life, I noticed that the writers thought the metric system sounded exotic yet had no idea how it worked.

"We're going 40 kilometers an hour!! We'll break through the atmosphere in seconds!"

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

hailthefish posted:

Catsuits made out of upholstery remnants leftover from making family restaurant booths just aren't flattering.

Tailoring by whoever was also responsible for the Weseley Crusher Fleece Crime line of pullovers.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I think Seven's cat suit was originally supposed to serve a purpose. Like she needed it because her skin and something technobabble borg implants something. It's still dumb though.

Rynder
Mar 26, 2009
IIRC it was the doctor who designed Seven's clothing; I don't think he had a specific reason for it though.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Cobalt Chloride posted:

The CGI already doesn't hold up very well, so it'll just add to the wonder. Also in watching a bunch of them because I enjoy the worst in life, I noticed that the writers thought the metric system sounded exotic yet had no idea how it worked.

"We're going 40 kilometers an hour!! We'll break through the atmosphere in seconds!"

They had no idea how to use any unit of any measurement, including ones they'd made up.

Isoton. So...its...equal to a ton? A ton of what? Hell, what kind of ton?

What's a quad anyhow? You store data in...four. Four what?

Sash! fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Nov 2, 2013

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Sash! posted:

They had no idea how to use any unit of any measurement, including ones they'd made up.

Isoton. So...its...equal to a ton? A ton of what? Hell, what kind of ton?

What's a quad anyhow? You store data in...four. Four what?

Maybe an Isoton is like 1027 metric tons or something, it's the only thing I can think of.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Yeah, if you only ever want to sit through one "Holodeck Run Amok" episode, The Killing Game is the one to pick.

Disagree! I think "Flesh and Blood" is better, albeit not as fun. It's pretty much the crown jewel of "hologram rights" episodes and forces Janeway to pay the price for bending the rules and regulations carelessly in the Delta Quadrant. It also has a kickass teaser.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Flesh and Blood sucked because "hologram rights" was the dumbest non-lizard related thing to come out of Voyager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I have a dream. A dream that one day, men will be judged, not upon the ability of their photonic matrices to survive outside the anular confinement of a pre-arranged holographic inclusion zone, but upon their character.

• Locked thread