Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Jet Ready Go posted:

Refurbished iPads don't typically pop up until the next upgrade gen appears, like a year from now.

Huh? They can show up within a month or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Holy poo poo this thing is light. It's the first time I've ever picked up a product on the tables and thought "is this a hollow display model?" before I turned on the screen.

Decided not to go with the Smart Case because gently caress those are expensive. I hate having the iPad nude in my bag, though. There were a few I linked to earlier in the thread but they're not out 'til the 21st of November. Has anyone picked up any really lightweight cases yet that let you prop the device up for viewing that they can recommend?

Edging towards a Belkin Lapstand, they seems like a neat gimmick and it'd be nice to not always need a desk.

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Nov 1, 2013

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

spaceship posted:

Me too. Also in Austin! I think I was done at like 8:15.

I don't know how I feel about the new screen. It feels...different.

It's also lagging like some kind of awful android thing, but that may be because i'm syncing right now.

sleepness posted:

I am noticing some lag too, very similar to my iPad 3rd gen which had major keyboard issues.
Give it a little time. Spotlight needs time to index it, which will definitely slow things down.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I may return this smart case. It's not bad, but it feels like the border that hugs the edge of the iPad is very prominent and lippy. (Or at least get a black one so I don't notice.)

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI
I placed an order at midnight for pickup and it's still at processing. I'm going to the apple store during my lunch to pick it up in a few hours.

Are they not going to give me it if I'm still on processing?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

supersteve posted:

I placed an order at midnight for pickup and it's still at processing. I'm going to the apple store during my lunch to pick it up in a few hours.

Are they not going to give me it if I'm still on processing?
The emails I got said not to come until they say it's ready. Weird that it's still processing. I put my order in at 9:17 AM and got notification at 11:50 that it was ready.

If you go there and it's not ready yet, there might be one there you can buy and just cancel the pickup order.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Endless Mike posted:

The emails I got said not to come until they say it's ready. Weird that it's still processing. I put my order in at 9:17 AM and got notification at 11:50 that it was ready.

If you go there and it's not ready yet, there might be one there you can buy and just cancel the pickup order.

Yeah. From what I understand, they have a fuckton of everything but 128gb models.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Went to the ATT store with 128 models in stock. Third in line a few minutes before they opened.

Refused to sell me one without a new two year contract and activation fee, even for full price.

Walked out empty handed. If I didn't have an unlimited data plan I could move over I would change carriers.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Just walked to an Apple Store, played with one and immediately ask to buy it.

Holy loving poo poo the Air is amazing. Now to sell my 3 to recoup some of the damage.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Ultimate Mango posted:

Went to the ATT store with 128 models in stock. Third in line a few minutes before they opened.

Refused to sell me one without a new two year contract and activation fee, even for full price.

Walked out empty handed. If I didn't have an unlimited data plan I could move over I would change carriers.

What the gently caress are they thinking here? Is this a policy or you were just met with dumbasses who thought they'd get someone else to sign up anyway.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Don Tacorleone posted:

What the gently caress are they thinking here? Is this a policy or you were just met with dumbasses who thought they'd get someone else to sign up anyway.

"Blah blah blah regional sales director said..."

I was clear when I put my name on the list and waited for the other people that I just wanted to buy one. It should have been a clue that after half an hour the two people on front of me were still getting sold on plans and options and warranty.

Total loving bullshit.

Worst part is at the end the 'manager' went in the back and said they were out of stock but they could order one to ship. As I was walking out the next person in line asked for a 128 and they said 'oh yeah we have them.'

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Woke up at 6AM and did the same thing I did for the last two iPads I bought. Ordered from a superstore in NY which offers free shipping. They only had one 16gb "silver" in stock, which was what I wanted. I wonder why Apple decided to change the color categories to the back side of the iPad for this iteration.

Hooray for saving $50 in tax plus whatever the "CA Electronic Recycle Fee" is!

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
I think I'm just used to the iPad mini at this point, but the Air felt comically large when I tried it out today. Like it felt bigger than I remember the original iPad feeling, even though it's obviously smaller. I think the smaller bezels contribute to the effect. If I'm getting one of these new iPads, it's definitely going to be the new mini.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Good lord, I am shocked at how small and light the Air feels. Going from my OG iPad to the iPad 2 was incredible at the time, but going from the 3 to this is... amazing. I've always toyed with the idea of getting a dedicated e-ink ebook reader, but I think this thing has finally killed that plan off completely. I'm really regretting buying my 3 right now, because this feels like a proper upgrade from the 2 rather than just a stopgap.

cbubbles
Mar 15, 2007

I'm soooo into you

Endless Mike posted:

Mine also says still processing and I haven't gotten an update. My lunch time is coming up and I was hoping to go and pick it up, but I haven't gotten the "Ready to pick up" email yet. It's making me wonder if something's up :ohdear:

edit: I ordered last night at 12:20am PST or something before going to sleep, and I haven't gotten any updates this morning.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

cbubbles posted:

Mine also says still processing and I haven't gotten an update. My lunch time is coming up and I was hoping to go and pick it up, but I haven't gotten the "Ready to pick up" email yet. It's making me wonder if something's up :ohdear:

edit: I ordered last night at 12:20am PST or something before going to sleep, and I haven't gotten any updates this morning.

Just check if it's available for pickup and buy it there and cancel your online order.

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!
Went to Wal-Mart at 6:45 this morning to get one. Spent 20 mins waiting on the guy to find a manager to open the cage in the back, and then he couldn't find them, then the day crew came in and found them.

Then when they went to ring it up, it wouldn't let them scan the serial number, so waited another 75 minutes for them to get that fixed. Finally around 8:40 AM I walked out with my new iPad Air. It's just incredible, major step up from my previous iPads.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
This really feels like a giant mini. The narrower bezel makes it a lot easier to type in portrait orientation. I ordered it online for in store pickup and was in and out of the mall for maybe 10 minutes. The long line was only about 30 people at 8am.

If I didn't read comics on this I probably would have gone for the mini, but I'm really happy with this size.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Insidious posted:

As a first time iPad buyer, is it worth getting the higher storage iPads? I'm thinking about the 32GB because my 16GB Nexus 4 has felt limiting to me at certain times. Then again, with so many streaming services, is anything over 32GB overkill?

Like others have said, it depends on how you use the device. I have a 16GB Mini and mostly use it to stream video, browse the web, and read books. It has never once felt limiting to me, and I have plenty of free space on it. My daughter has a 16GB iPad2 and it's a constant struggle to keep enough free space on there for her. Some of her children's apps can run over 800MB. I would have much rather gotten the 32 or 64GB unit for her if I would have had a better understanding of how we were going to use her device.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

I'm looking for case suggestions for my Ipad Mini. Right now I have this (http://www.amazon.com/Snugg-iPad-Mini-Leather-Black/dp/B0092PZZLS/), and while I like it quite a bit, every time I take my Mini out of it, I realize how much bulk/size it adds. I need a case on it because a) I commute with it and it gets tossed in my bag and jostled about quite a bit and b) I'd prefer to not advertise what kind of device I am using on public transit. Can anyone recommend some slimmer cases? Bonus points if it has a hand strap, but not required. Thanks!

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

I just bought a I-pad air with the 32 gibibytes

edit: wifi

Sneaking Mission fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Nov 1, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Sneaking Mission posted:

I just bought a I-pad air with the 32 gibibytes

Same. It's so crazy light and now I can get rid of all my non-lightning cables.

djhaloeight
Jan 23, 2007

techno mafia.
Walked into my Apple Store shortly after noon today, walked out in less than 10 minutes with a silver wifi 32 gig iPad Air, no muss no fuss. This thing is amazingly light and fast. Feels like using a tablet again for the first time. I sold my 32 gig 3rd gen iPad to my boss for $325 earlier this morning as well, which helped offset the cost. Now to sell my 32 gig iPhone 4S and this Air will only have cost me roughly $100.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Anyone else pick up a Smartcase today for their Air?

How do you like it? I'm not sure I love how mine feels/looks/works.

The magnetic support "triangling" is way more finicky and specific than before... often coming undone. It feels kind of like an amateur case. Very awkward to pick up. And lifting the cover is harder because it's very flush with the rest of the case edge.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 1, 2013

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+

djhaloeight posted:

Walked into my Apple Store shortly after noon today, walked out in less than 10 minutes with a silver wifi 32 gig iPad Air, no muss no fuss. This thing is amazingly light and fast. Feels like using a tablet again for the first time. I sold my 32 gig 3rd gen iPad to my boss for $325 earlier this morning as well, which helped offset the cost. Now to sell my 32 gig iPhone 4S and this Air will only have cost me roughly $100.

you sold a 3rd gen 32 GB for 325? wow. I got a 250 bid for my 64GB 3rd gen

I love the new Air, super fast. Went 128gb...cant believe I have a tablet with that much space. Which makes me wonder, why are you people buying 16GB iPads still? Seems SO small. Top shelf games are 1GB at least.

Samara fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Nov 1, 2013

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+

Douche4Sale posted:

I'm looking for case suggestions for my Ipad Mini. Right now I have this (http://www.amazon.com/Snugg-iPad-Mini-Leather-Black/dp/B0092PZZLS/), and while I like it quite a bit, every time I take my Mini out of it, I realize how much bulk/size it adds. I need a case on it because a) I commute with it and it gets tossed in my bag and jostled about quite a bit and b) I'd prefer to not advertise what kind of device I am using on public transit. Can anyone recommend some slimmer cases? Bonus points if it has a hand strap, but not required. Thanks!

I LOVE my I-Blason case. Adds no bulk and protects amazingly well

http://www.amazon.com/i-BLASON-Comp...+mini+ipad+case

(I cut off the dumb pen holder part)

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

I'll be returning the Apple Smart Case. What a POS. I think i'll just roll naked w/ a bestskinsever skin until the new zerochroma's are released.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

spaceship posted:

I'll be returning the Apple Smart Case. What a POS. I think i'll just roll naked w/ a bestskinsever skin until the new zerochroma's are released.

What don't you like about it?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Haven't smart covers always been fairly lovely? I remember people complaining about them being cheap back when they were first released.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
I haven't seen the smart case yet but it is like the previous ones? I didn't have an issue with those but a lot of people didn't like it. I've had a variety of different things from bestskinsever on the back to a hard shell case to a soft shell to no case and now the smart case. I've like it the best over the bestskinsever because they eventually start to peel.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
I'm really liking just the smart cover. This iPad is easier to hold onto since it has more rounded edges, but I am considering buying a back cover just for the grippiness factor while I'm on the subway. My favorite back cover has always been the Poetic Thinshell (I loved it on the iPad mini), but I may wait a week to see what else comes out. There's a Speck back cover with a built-in magnet (so the smart cover stays attached to the back while you're using it), but it's not available yet.

Thinshell: http://www.amazon.com/Poetic-ThinSh...mini+back+cover

Speck: http://www.speckproducts.com/ipad-case/ipad-air-mini-retina-cases

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
When I tried to pick up my iPad Air at the Apple Store, they told everyone the personal pickup system is supposedly down systemwide. There is no such story online on sites or any forums that I know of. Is this BS?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Paradoxish posted:

Haven't smart covers always been fairly lovely? I remember people complaining about them being cheap back when they were first released.

Smart Covers have always been great for me. Smart Cases, on the other hand, have been poo poo.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

flavor posted:

When I tried to pick up my iPad Air at the Apple Store, they told everyone the personal pickup system is supposedly down systemwide. There is no such story online on sites or any forums that I know of. Is this BS?

I guess the question is why would it be BS?

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I guess the question is why would it be BS?

Because something like that would usually make at least the fan/rumor sites and it's the typical BS retail employees or managers make up when they want to shut up customers. I'm in fact just talking to Apple Support and they haven't heard of that "system-wide unavailability" of the personal pickup system and I'm holding while they're talking to that store ;).

Mr. Smile Face Hat fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 1, 2013

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
With regard to the smart case, it's bit the worst thing ever, it's just not that great. And in an early morning consumer-joy-haze, it didn't really sink in that it was 80 dollars. I'm pretty likely to return it soon.

[Edit] so wait, with the purchase of this new iPad do I get the ilife/iwork stuff free?

Feenix fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Nov 1, 2013

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Yes, you get iWork and iLife suites for free.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

flavor posted:

Because something like that would usually make at least the fan/rumor sites and it's the typical BS retail employees or managers make up when they want to shut up customers. I'm in fact just talking to Apple Support and they haven't heard of that "system-wide unavailability" of the personal pickup system and I'm holding while they're talking to that store ;).

Why do they want to shut up customers who want to buy an iPad? I'm sorry I think I'm misunderstanding you or something.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.

eddiewalker posted:

What's the application process like for the back side? I've always used cases with a rear shell, but a really thin device with a Smart Cover might be cool if the skin is enough protection.

It's pretty cool, it wraps around the side of the device too. It's pretty much like attaching one of those cling films you see stuck on store windows. You spray a little liquid, place it down.. wait for it to "set" and you're good. Very reusable as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mocha Frost
May 1, 2006

flavor posted:

Went to pick mine up and they told me the same thing, but 5 minutes later he showed up with my iPad in hand. :iiam: