Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

http://mappinglondon.co.uk/2013/second-languages/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Incidentally, is there any indication what map projection Paradox used in the game? Older titles had maps pretty much cobbled together, but they made some noises about using a real projection this time.

I'm not at home, so I can't check, but if I recall correctly it's the Miller. Same projection as V2, at any rate.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Carbon dioxide posted:

For the Americans reading this: Note that the Norway gas prize of 1.90 eur per liter is equal to about $9.70 per gallon.

Americans, you can stop complaining about high gas prizes now. It's way worse in Europe.

Yeah but I bet Norway doesn't have the infrastructure woes America has.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Peanut President posted:

Yeah but I bet Norway doesn't have the infrastructure woes America has.

I don't think there is much in the way of public transportation outside of bigger cities. It's the same here in southern Germany (Bavaria). I need a car to get to work, buy groceries etc.

Mu Cow
Oct 26, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

How do these lactose intolerance studies work? I live in Korea and I had always thought most people here would be lactose intolerant, but everybody consumes dairy all the time here and it doesn't seem to bother anyone. The dairy aisle at my grocery store is bigger than it was in the US, there are probably two hundred different brands of milk and yogurts.

When I was in Korea, I noticed that a lot of the milk and cheese products weren't real. Lactose in yogurt is partially fermented, which makes it more tolerable.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

bronin posted:

I don't think there is much in the way of public transportation outside of bigger cities. It's the same here in southern Germany (Bavaria). I need a car to get to work, buy groceries etc.

No I mean you guys don't have bridges falling down because the government has no money to inspect it/fix it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osocGiofdvc

Or have levees collapse during a hurricane after being told 100 times that they were faulty:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpdWfaNACgE

and so on and so on.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Yet Germany is still seemingly completely unprepared every time a major flooding happens.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Peanut President posted:

No I mean you guys don't have bridges falling down because the government has no money to inspect it/fix it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osocGiofdvc

Or have levees collapse during a hurricane after being told 100 times that they were faulty:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpdWfaNACgE

and so on and so on.

The situation in Hurricane Katrina was absolutely inexcusable and a major example of failure by the US government, but are bridge collapses really significantly more common in the US than in European countries?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Saw this earlier today, thought it deserved discussion.

It's a shame they didn't ask India, New Zealand, and a few other interesting countries.

made of bees
May 21, 2013
I wouldn't expect the Philippines to be that high, I thought they were pretty strongly Catholic.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Patter Song posted:

It's a shame they didn't ask India, New Zealand, and a few other interesting countries.

Gay people have had equal rights in South Africa since the new Constitution, and 70% say it shouldn't be tolerated?
:negative:

Sometimes it's frankly astonishing how Nelson Mandela became President of that country without being a total rear end in a top hat.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Konstantin posted:

Why is Norway so expensive? They're by far the largest oil exporter in Europe, and a lot of that industry is under government control, so there's no reason why oil prices should be high there. If anything, political pressure should lead to cheaper domestic prices, especially in a state with a harsh northern climate and low population density, both of which mean more fuel use.

Our salaries got really inflated because of the booming petrolium industry, and as a result the cost of living is higher than most places. To top it all off, we have extra taxes added to petrolium because of CO2 emissions and such. But for a regular Norwegian living on a Norwegian salary, buying gas for your car isn't too expensive, really.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Patter Song posted:

Well, at least South America is better than I expected.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Spain as well, despite being one of those stereotypically Catholic countries. The times they have a-changed I suppose.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Kennel posted:

Well, at least South America is better than I expected.

Brazil is supposedly a major reason why the LDS Church has backed off of supporting anti-gay movements recently.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
For NOT having split off because they didn't want to listen to the Vatican the Catholics are quite fond of not listening to the Vatican.

made of bees
May 21, 2013
While I'm not sure what church membership is like I think Spain is still turned off of conservative Catholicism thanks to Franco.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

No Spanish at all? Seems odd...

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

reignonyourparade posted:

For NOT having split off because they didn't want to listen to the Vatican the Catholics are quite fond of not listening to the Vatican.

Yeah I think most Catholics are much more socially liberal than people stereotype them as. I think people overly assume they follow the clergy's lead.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Lycus posted:

Yeah I think most Catholics are much more socially liberal than people stereotype them as. I think people overly assume they follow the clergy's lead.

From my understanding, much of the priesthoood tend to be more liberal than the leadership. The leadership generally being the "career politician" type.

PrinceRandom fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Nov 2, 2013

Peruser
Feb 23, 2013
Catholics range from pseudo-atheists to fundamentalists who still identify as Catholics even though they disagree with everything the pope does. They're hardly the papist horde most people think they are.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Lycus posted:

People who aren't religious often seem to assume Catholics are even more conservative than their leadership is, I think, like picturing the Evangelicals and assuming they must be further right than that. I never really got it either.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

VitalSigns posted:

Gay people have had equal rights in South Africa since the new Constitution, and 70% say it shouldn't be tolerated?
:negative:

Sometimes it's frankly astonishing how Nelson Mandela became President of that country without being a total rear end in a top hat.
On the other hand, it's a good example of the 'difference between a Republic and a Democracy' that some US right-wingers usually like to :smug: about.

Gay marriage got passed in South Africa as part of the commitment to equality under law, not because the majority supported it. It's a shame that many people people still haven't gotten over their hatred of LGBT people, but I don't think there would have been any feasible way of holding back on civil rights until the majority supported it without loving people over for the considerable future.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Catholics (That is Roman Catholics) are not the same as Catholics (That is people from protestant/other denomination). The history of the divide is actually quite fascinating from a historical and sociological point of view, but its not really for this thread.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

I actually expected Korea to be just a shade darker, more in line with China and Russia. Good to see, I guess.

For content, I liked this one as a variation on goofy relabels, Comic Sans aside:

Mr. Belpit fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Nov 2, 2013

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

I didn't know there were 2 washingtons.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Davincie posted:

I didn't know there were 2 washingtons.

One of them has a D.C. at the end.

Justin Trudeau
Apr 4, 2009

There's a level of admiration I actually have for China because their basic dictatorship is allowing them to actually turn their economy around on a dime
"left canada"? It's called West Yukon jackass.

In seriousness, the USA does have too many states. Either amalgamate or break up, either way the world only needs one Dakota.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

dethslayer666 posted:

In seriousness, the USA does have too many states. Either amalgamate or break up, either way the world only needs one Dakota.

Like way too many things about American politics, it made sense at the time and people are too scared of change so we're stuck with it.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

ElMaligno posted:

Catholics (That is Roman Catholics) are not the same as Catholics (That is people from protestant/other denomination).

A map of Catholics, different Catholics, and still different Catholics a few years after the Peace of Augsburg:

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Hedera Helix posted:

One of them has a D.C. at the end.

The curse of a Washingtonian: people always assuming you're talking about DC.
We should just rename the whole thing Seatac.

Justin Trudeau
Apr 4, 2009

There's a level of admiration I actually have for China because their basic dictatorship is allowing them to actually turn their economy around on a dime

Why not South British Columbia? :smug:

Or Starbucks. People love Starbucks.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.

People who use "Washington" to describe DC are always wrong. :colbert:

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

dethslayer666 posted:

Why not South British Columbia? :smug:

:golfclap: Alright I like that one.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

dethslayer666 posted:

If you ask me the USA doesn't have enough states. We need more "principalities that somehow survived to the modern day like Monaco" sized states.

Justin Trudeau
Apr 4, 2009

:golfclap: Alright I like that one.

To add some relevant content, here's a territorial dispute between the USA and CanadaHer Majesty's British Empire:

Oregon Country/Columbia District was jointly claimed by Britain and the USA, until the Treaty of Oregon was signed in 1846, establishing a fixed border at 49 degrees, resulting in the world's dumbest border:

The upper border also inspired the name of a reasonably decent Canadian band.

Justin Trudeau fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Nov 2, 2013

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

dethslayer666 posted:

To add some relevant content, here's a territorial dispute between the USA and CanadaHer Majesty's British Empire:

Oregon Country/Columbia District was jointly claimed by Britain and the USA, until the Treaty of Oregon was signed in 1846, establishing a fixed border at 49 degrees, resulting in the world's dumbest border:

I really wish they had extended the 49 only as far as the Columbia. I realize it would have made no sense at the time (drat swarming Yanks), but god drat that's some nice territory I wish was part of my country. Where the Canadian irredentists at?

dethslayer666 posted:

The upper border also inspired the name of a reasonably decent Canadian band.

Oh gawd my left ear.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

PittTheElder posted:

I really wish they had extended the 49 only as far as the Columbia. I realize it would have made no sense at the time (drat swarming Yanks), but god drat that's some nice territory I wish was part of my country. Where the Canadian irredentists at?

Oh gawd my left ear.

Yeah well I think we should kept that slice of Vancouver Island :colbert:

Nah, just kidding, we should have stuck with 54-40 :911:

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Nov 2, 2013

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
All I'm going to say is the extreme US claim results in a prettier border than the extreme British claim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

All I'm going to say is the extreme US claim results in a prettier border than the extreme British claim.

Not if Britain got Alaska too :getin: