Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Sekret
Dec 6, 2001
Curse you, Massive Genitals!

Awesome. Looks like I'll have to order a pair of those things. None of my local gamestops have them except for people who preordered them.

Man I am out of shape. Pushups were way harder than I remember. Also Salsa dancing was really hard, but I somehow got 4 stars on it by flailing around in time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

What's the quality of the fit meter? Is it like the Pokepedometer from a few games ago? Is it waterproof?

Bionic
May 6, 2007

I beg to remain, Sir, your most humble and obedient servant, A Ridiculous Beard.

Canned Panda posted:

Are we going to have a SA Gym for Wii Fit U?

I guess so, because I just made one!

LowTaxLowEffort

Full of judgement and cheeto dust.

Gym Community ID: 1786-3632-8641

Thanks for setting this up! I've joined and look forward to seeing all of you as I jog in place in my apartment.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Just to confirm.. If you have a Wii Fit Meter and a Balance Board you can get Wii Fit for free if you link the Fit Meter?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Yep. Console + Board + Fit Meter = free game.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
I bit the bullet on a whim and finished paying off the Windwaker bundle and Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101. After like 45 minutes of updating and downloading I got started. Windwaker still looks and plays great but I haven't gotten into the other two yet.

I thought that the complaining about the battery life on the pad was just typical gamer exaggeration but yeeeesh it's really bad. Kind of puts a damper on my "watch netflix in bed" plans.

I wish there was a crunchyroll app. That would be nice.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
How do you join the Wii Fit Gym? I can't find the option.

Edit: Found it.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 2, 2013

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

I bit the bullet on a whim and finished paying off the Windwaker bundle and Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101. After like 45 minutes of updating and downloading I got started. Windwaker still looks and plays great but I haven't gotten into the other two yet.

I thought that the complaining about the battery life on the pad was just typical gamer exaggeration but yeeeesh it's really bad. Kind of puts a damper on my "watch netflix in bed" plans.

I wish there was a crunchyroll app. That would be nice.

There's an extended battery out in some regions, you can get one via ebay.
It should roughly double the battery life, I think?

Been thinking about ordering one myself at some point.

It's a real pity they did this:

To save some money.

Bionic
May 6, 2007

I beg to remain, Sir, your most humble and obedient servant, A Ridiculous Beard.

PRADA SLUT posted:

How do you join the Wii Fit Gym? I can't find the option.

Edit: Found it.

For anyone else, you do it from the Training screen, Communities box, Search, type in 1786-3632-8641.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Does anyone know a decent battery pack for the balance board? All of the ones on Amazon seem like garbage so I'm inclined to just use rechargeable batteries.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

SubNat posted:

To save some money.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

SubNat posted:

To save some money.

Wait, seriously? They cast a mold for a bigger battery then just stuck a tiny one in there? God dammit Nintendo.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lunaris posted:

Does anyone know a decent battery pack for the balance board? All of the ones on Amazon seem like garbage so I'm inclined to just use rechargeable batteries.

Rechargeables should be fine, the balance board has excellent battery life.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I guess they didn't want to make the controller heavier too. I doubt it would cost them much more.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

At one point during revision of the Gamepad, there was a blanket policy of rejecting any and all alterations that would increase the weight, so the battery size is probably a product of that reign of terror.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Help Im Alive posted:

The Art Academy Miiverse is still pretty cool (with bonus spooky art)

Do you have links to those Miiverse posts or the names of the users that made them? I'd like to check out some other drawings of those people.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mandrel posted:

Wait, seriously? They cast a mold for a bigger battery then just stuck a tiny one in there? God dammit Nintendo.

Batteries are expensive and they future proofed the system a bit to let them sell (or pre-install) a larger battery when it can fit into their target price.

Not saying that the decision is a good thing (the controller battery life is too drat short), but that's why they did it.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Wonderful 101 is kind of fun but I'm really bad at it. It feels like playing Bayonetta though a telescope. Thank god there are unlimited continues and it starts you off right where you die and it only hurts your score at the end.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Do you have links to those Miiverse posts or the names of the users that made them? I'd like to check out some other drawings of those people.

Here you go:

Hulk
Peach
Moon thing
Ashley
Animal Crossing
DBZ Mario
White spider man thing
Middle Earth map
Yotsuba
Burger

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Since it hasn't been mentioned and some people were asking I'm gonna confirm that Deus Ex is an amazing port. Hacking is so much better with the gamepad screen and the gamepad map makes stealth way easier as an option just because you get a much better idea of where enemies are. No frame rate issues either, at least none that I've noticed. There are a few nasty little changes thrown around some areas to make old strategies require a little more work too. And bosses have loving health bars now, so at least you know how far you've gotten them down.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Thanks. There's some really talented people and really good and cute drawings in the Art Academy community.

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAABAABnUgHrlQ82wg
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYIHAAAEAADRUV6i7ewmYA
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYIHAAAEAADTUKFPIJLRFw
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYIHAAAEAADKUKFcNSPBlA
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYIHAAAEAADTUKFPL_zIKg
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAADMUKlapYxpdg

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

njsykora posted:

Since it hasn't been mentioned and some people were asking I'm gonna confirm that Deus Ex is an amazing port. Hacking is so much better with the gamepad screen and the gamepad map makes stealth way easier as an option just because you get a much better idea of where enemies are. No frame rate issues either, at least none that I've noticed. There are a few nasty little changes thrown around some areas to make old strategies require a little more work too. And bosses have loving health bars now, so at least you know how far you've gotten them down.

The only downside is that EA is charging 50 bucks as a "because we can" tax while I got it for five on Steam.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Bruceski posted:

The only downside is that EA is charging 50 bucks as a "because we can" tax while I got it for five on Steam.

Yeah, it's a drat shame. And I'm still waiting for the Steam Christmas sale to drop that upgrade cost lower, because I'm so cheap with the game. I mean, it's fun and all, but half the time, if I want to play DX:HR, I end up playing the original instead. What a game.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
You mean Square-Enix. EA doesn't even care enough to stiff WU owners with bad overpriced ports anymore.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mercury Crusader posted:

Yeah, it's a drat shame. And I'm still waiting for the Steam Christmas sale to drop that upgrade cost lower, because I'm so cheap with the game. I mean, it's fun and all, but half the time, if I want to play DX:HR, I end up playing the original instead. What a game.

Yeah, I still prefer the original to Human Revolution, but if someone tells me that Human Revolution is their favorite Deus Ex game I don't think they're crazy. It's not like they said Invisible War.

I think the Wii U port would have done reasonably well at twenty dollars. It's a bit more than you'd pay for any other version at this point but it has obvious improvements over any of them. As it stands it's not worth replacing my current copy (well, adding to it since it's on Steam).

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

You mean Square-Enix. EA doesn't even care enough to stiff WU owners with bad overpriced ports anymore.

Yeah, I lose track of the evil.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

Yeah, I still prefer the original to Human Revolution, but if someone tells me that Human Revolution is their favorite Deus Ex game I don't think they're crazy. It's not like they said Invisible War.

I think the Wii U port would have done reasonably well at twenty dollars. It's a bit more than you'd pay for any other version at this point but it has obvious improvements over any of them. As it stands it's not worth replacing my current copy (well, adding to it since it's on Steam).

I would have absolutely bought the Wii U version at launch for the 30 bucks they're asking for the 360/PS3 one. Instead I'll have to wait until it drops in price and by then S-E will have decided that "lol wii u games don't sell worth dick".

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Have they released the price of the Wii Fit U game + board + fit meter bundle yet? Not sure if I should wait for that or buy a board off eBay.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Its kind of a shame that the 3DS cant stand in for a fit-meter. I mean come on, its got IR and its got a pedometer!

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

mcpringles posted:

Have they released the price of the Wii Fit U game + board + fit meter bundle yet? Not sure if I should wait for that or buy a board off eBay.

$90 for that bundle, so if you can get a board in decent condition for less than $70 you're coming out ahead.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I wish I'd known about the Mario and Luigi Wii U bundle a couple weeks ago before I ordered the Zelda one. I couldn't remember why, but I remembered hating Windwaker. I went for it anyway because eh, tastes change. Now that I've suffered through its relentless tedium again I sure as hell remember why I hated it so much and wish I'd gotten a better game bundled.

What's a good and inexpensive game I can get to cleanse my palate? I was thinking about trying to find Monster Hunter on the cheap.

Chance
Apr 28, 2002

Meldonox posted:

I wish I'd known about the Mario and Luigi Wii U bundle a couple weeks ago before I ordered the Zelda one. I couldn't remember why, but I remembered hating Windwaker. I went for it anyway because eh, tastes change. Now that I've suffered through its relentless tedium again I sure as hell remember why I hated it so much and wish I'd gotten a better game bundled.

What's a good and inexpensive game I can get to cleanse my palate? I was thinking about trying to find Monster Hunter on the cheap.

If you find wind waker tedious I think you might find monster hunter exponentially more so, I know I did and I love wind waker. I know some people love MH but for me it's like playing vanilla WoW boss fights with a controller.

I just got myself a cheap used lego city undercover, it's a launch game, has playstation 1 load times, and a not great framerate, but the comedy is ok, the story is a lot less pandering than I expected for a kids game, and it has a lot of vehicles and collectibles to find (if you enjoy such things). I would say it's decent enough if the price is low for a nice time waster. Sadly it's the only modern lego game to not have any multiplayer.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Need for Speed Most Wanted and Sonic and Allstars Racing Transformed are both great racing games and are both the best console versions available. ZombiU is an awesome survival game. It isnt a shoot em up as the box would lead you to believe, its about moving slow and planning ahead and conserving ammo. Tekken Tag Tournament 2 is a great fighting game and is exactly like the other consoles versions but with added party modes. New Super Luigi U is a standalone/expansion for New Super Mario Bros U, tons of new hard stages.

All of those can be found for something around 20 bucks.

orborborb
Jan 20, 2004

Meldonox posted:

you can buy luigi u by itself for $30, and nintendoland for even less, the two best games on the system though not games you can sink a lot of time into all at once

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I got a used Balance Board at GameStop for $20 add $20 for the Fit Meter and you've got a package for $40.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Chance posted:

If you find wind waker tedious I think you might find monster hunter exponentially more so, I know I did and I love wind waker. I know some people love MH but for me it's like playing vanilla WoW boss fights with a controller.

I may as well elaborate a little. I find it tedious in that there's a lot of clumsy stuff that seems hell bent on wasting time. Boating is painfully dull, some forgettable and unenjoyable mechanics seem focused on making you repeat yourself if you don't do something just right including a couple places where you have to play a tune over and over, and a couple boss fights last far too long, like the fat ghost fight where you learn the pattern in a minute flat and wind up dealing with killing each and every component ghost for ages. Grinding for grinding's sake is fine, but I can't stand situations where the game simply wastes my time.

These suggestions are great though, I'll go check the shops tomorrow. Thanks guys!

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
The Red Sail makes the game 100% better in every way, as does skipping Wind Waker song animations. I also like the ocean map on the controller.

I cannot stress enough: if you are playing Wind Waker, get the Red Sail the instant it's available. (right after the Forbidden Woods)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

PRADA SLUT posted:

The Red Sail makes the game 100% better in every way, as does skipping Wind Waker song animations. I also like the ocean map on the controller.

I cannot stress enough: if you are playing Wind Waker, get the Red Sail the instant it's available. (right after the Forbidden Woods)

Even with the red sail I think they could have made the ocean half as big. Everything in a given square (island, treasure, mapfish, subs, octopi, tornadoes) happens relatively close to the island, making the rest of that area just busywork getting wherever's next.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

The new Wii Fit U has the option to track your pets. That's pretty neat, we tried doing that on the old version to limited success just using the balance board as a scale. Dogs can even use the meter things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The game makes it clear, however, that the Fit Meter is not usable by babies or cats.

• Locked thread