Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Sylphosaurus posted:

My take on it is that you are basically the head of an Exterminatus Fleet from the Empire of Man in Warhammer 40k. If those people didn't want to recieve the purifing flames of the God-Emperor of Man, then they shouldn't have started an uprising to begin with :colbert:

Exactly!

[fakespoiler]
I always play the goody two-shoes way in every game I play but then again, I didn't have any problems with TIE Fighter and as long as this game doesn't explicitly show "my" side just mowing down innocents for the hell of it I'll probably be able to live with it.
[/fakespoiler]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Exactly!

[fakespoiler]
I always play the goody two-shoes way in every game I play but then again, I didn't have any problems with TIE Fighter and as long as this game doesn't explicitly show "my" side just mowing down innocents for the hell of it I'll probably be able to live with it.
[/fakespoiler]

FWIW, the Federation isn't some altruistic awesome and benevolent group of systems. You have to be an rear end in a top hat to keep thousands of star systems in line after all. Whatever keeps the profits flowing (within reason).

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Kairo posted:

FWIW, the Federation isn't some altruistic awesome and benevolent group of systems. You have to be an rear end in a top hat to keep thousands of star systems in line after all. Whatever keeps the profits flowing (within reason).

The Imperium are pretty much jerks too, and they're the best there is, so clearly the Federation has the right idea. :commissar:

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Sylphosaurus posted:

My take on it is that you are basically the head of an Exterminatus Fleet from the Empire of Man in Warhammer 40k. If those people didn't want to recieve the purifing flames of the God-Emperor of Man, then they shouldn't have started an uprising to begin with :colbert:

I am fully on board with this take, sir. :golfclap:

Er, I mean,
:black101::black101:

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

General Battuta posted:

Yeah, KSP's setup is deliberate, but it comes with some serious costs in terms of load time (probably other stuff).

I've discovered that it's very easy to exceed the 4gig process size limit with just a few good mods, it's a big problem for me.

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

Booting up the stream to polish the beam frigate and work on some of the pilot chatter system if that goes well!

http://www.twitch.tv/marauderinteractive/

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Audio design yesssss

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Audio work continues to be the most impressive part of your work Kairo. Love that foley. First time you went "in game" to test the frigate, I was alt tabbed and just heard this glorious CRACK of the jump drives.

[edit] Everyone who can watch this should, its amazing.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Oct 28, 2013

faxmaster
Nov 1, 2004

I can see all of the colors.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Audio work continues to be the most impressive part of your work Kairo. Love that foley. First time you went "in game" to test the frigate, I was alt tabbed and just heard this glorious CRACK of the jump drives.

[edit] Everyone who can watch this should, its amazing.

The audio really does have so much drat atmosphere. I love the sound of the big-gun corvette.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Kairo posted:

Booting up the stream to polish the beam frigate and work on some of the pilot chatter system if that goes well!

Are you archiving these somewhere? I didn't see anything like that on that page. :(

faxmaster
Nov 1, 2004

I can see all of the colors.

HardDisk posted:

Are you archiving these somewhere? I didn't see anything like that on that page. :(

Click on his name, then click on 'Past Broadcasts'.

Or click on this link. That would work too.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Looks like nebulae are coming along...

@tipul posted:

BTW, those use https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/1763 + custom cloud textures and some extra code. Money well spent, and is pretty speedy!

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

This may be the first time I've seen it with a blue hue instead of red/orange. It looks really good.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe
Oh wow, that's looking pretty fantastic.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Alehkhs posted:

Looks like nebulae are coming along...

Is that an even bigger ship I see hiding in the nebula on the left?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

faxmaster posted:

Click on his name, then click on 'Past Broadcasts'.

Or click on this link. That would work too.

Thanks, man!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

PBJ posted:

Is that an even bigger ship I see hiding in the nebula on the left?
I hope so! That looks really, really good.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
Is this game still going on strong? I can't seem to find game additions just reviews on his web page , Did he change his webpage or am i blind?. When was the last time this got a nice overhaul?

My issue is that it looks like it'll be a sweet game but i have a habit of buying in too early, burning out and moving on. Rather wait this time.

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Is this game still going on strong? I can't seem to find game additions just reviews on his web page , Did he change his webpage or am i blind?. When was the last time this got a nice overhaul?

My issue is that it looks like it'll be a sweet game but i have a habit of buying in too early, burning out and moving on. Rather wait this time.

Not really a problem at this point, it's not even possible to throw money at Kairo yet.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

TipsyMcStagger posted:

You can watch the guy stream his work on the game live, what more do you want? And why do you say you'd 'rather wait' when you don't even have the option to not wait?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I don't understand what it is for this game to be "still going on strong." What is it for a game that's not out to be going on strong? Does it need constant "game additions" on the official website? What in the gently caress are those, even? Plus, being worried about buying in too early when that is literally impossible at this point is an interesting worry to have.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
Hey guys. Just checking in to say that the lack if DLC is just killing the replay value. I can't even find a customer support number on the company website. This is a real slap in the face to the ES community.

:suicide:

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

General Battuta posted:

You can watch the guy stream his work on the game live, what more do you want? And why do you say you'd 'rather wait' when you don't even have the option to not wait?

I swear I saw something about donating towards this for some access a few months back when he was doing Squadron chatter update. I'm just being a retard :doh: right now because the "Development log" doesn't lead anywhere anymore so that's why I was asking if it's still progressing forward nicely.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

TipsyMcStagger posted:

I swear I saw something about donating towards this for some access a few months back when he was doing Squadron chatter update. I'm just being a retard :doh: right now because the "Development log" doesn't lead anywhere anymore so that's why I was asking if it's still progressing forward nicely.

Its all good.

The game is still in active development and every stream so far has shown off some cool stuff. You can watch both the arcived streams here: http://www.twitch.tv/marauderinteractive/profile/pastBroadcasts
Worth having on in the background as they are rather interesting.

So far we can't throw money at the game yet. Sadly. But its progressing nicely and Kairo, the developer, is active in this very thread and happy to answer questions. Keep an eye in here for developments because either Kairo himself will post them, or TychoCelchuuu will beat him to it - Or maybe one of the many other spacenerds (myself included).

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

Hey all, running the stream in about 10 minutes. Working on visibility/LoS routines, mostly in regards to hiding ships in the nebulae. May be brutal since I'm updating old code that I wrote on a plane a few months ago and this stuff can be tricky in general.

Beach
Dec 13, 2004

No sign of intelligent life on this planet.
Those nebula combat effects look awesome man.

epmode
Feb 11, 2008

This game looks so goddamned good. I love how the fog/smoke/whatever lights up with weapon effects.

This may be a stupid question but how will your UI handle multiple resolutions? Is there some kind of scaling going on or will everything look relatively smaller as resolution increases?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Perfect end to the stream, Kairo was so busy watching his pretty cloud lighting he smashed his fighter into the side of a frigate. :allears:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I don't understand what it is for this game to be "still going on strong." What is it for a game that's not out to be going on strong? Does it need constant "game additions" on the official website? What in the gently caress are those, even? Plus, being worried about buying in too early when that is literally impossible at this point is an interesting worry to have.

It's a reasonable concern to worry that an indie dev might just up & stop development entirely; or claim to be still developing while moving, at best, at a glacial crawl.

E.g., Cortex Command.

Luckily, in Enemy Starfighter's case, that fear is very far removed from reality. But it's reasonable in the general case.

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Perfect end to the stream, Kairo was so busy watching his pretty cloud lighting he smashed his fighter into the side of a frigate. :allears:

That was fun. I actually love the Twitch chat because everyone has a good time gets along, and I can focus when I need to without worrying about answering stuff all the time. The concept book links are super helpful too -- already have a few new books in my amazon cart.

The visibility stuff is going to be rough because it gets expensive. I'll have to find some way to divide the work up into chunks or generally make it speedy for a lot of units. I'll have to do that off stream through, because it will probably involve staring at my code/articles and cursing. :)

But now that I can hide units from each other, I can do things like ambushes. Space stuff is fun, but without terrain it's a lot like Napoleonic/Civil War tactics (line up and shoot). There are nuances to that for sure, but not the kind I want to put in this game. I want to make the space version of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqg8p_rzVrE

Myth 2 is probably my favorite Bungie game, and made great use of terrain/unit mechanics.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Kairo posted:

But now that I can hide units from each other, I can do things like ambushes. Space stuff is fun, but without terrain it's a lot like Napoleonic/Civil War tactics (line up and shoot).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnvEFFCjSCw

Just saying, man.

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

I like this, will just have to figure out how to model humongous pieces of geometry that look good when you fly close to them. Also, Unity also supports stencil buffer access now, which means I could potentially have Doom 3 shadows if I can buy/create a good implementation of that. Self-shadowing ships and wrecks like that would be so hot.

Edit: Also, how bullshit is this? http://www.tomshardware.com/news/DOOM-source-code-depth-fail-john-carmack-FPS,14079.html Speeding up these shadows using depth-fail is patented which is why the out-of-the-box solutions don't do it.

Kairo fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Nov 2, 2013

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Holy gently caress if you could do that with the shadows that would be insane. Imagine fighting around a slowly rotating wreck that's bigger than a fleet or something.

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

Benagain posted:

Holy gently caress if you could do that with the shadows that would be insane. Imagine fighting around a slowly rotating wreck that's bigger than a fleet or something.

Between the particles and lighting I am going to have the most graphically intense designer-art game ever. It's gonna be awesome. "WHY DOES THIS GAME RUN AT 20FPS FOR ME?!??"

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Kairo posted:

The concept book links are super helpful too -- already have a few new books in my amazon cart.

Cool, you said you didn't have that first Chris Foss book I linked. So if you ordered it (totally wasn't expecting that), I hope it turns out to be enjoyable and maybe provides some good inspiration for making more awesome Early80sSci-Fi-styled ships.

quote:

But now that I can hide units from each other, I can do things like ambushes. Space stuff is fun, but without terrain it's a lot like Napoleonic/Civil War tactics (line up and shoot).

That works for Legend of the Galactic Heroes (which was mentioned in the stream*), but that is also a very different sort of space combat than what you've got going.

* And a series I'd recommend, though its got a huge arching story across 200ish half-hour episodes and a large cast of characters (it employed practically every male voice actor in Japan when it was made). The story is less about crazy pew pew ship fights as it is a character and political pseduo-historical drama. The Napoleonic line battle-esque ship engagements set to classical music just make an awesome backdrop.

You'd probably like how many of the ships look, they've got a similar style to the ones you and Homeworld use as an influence.

Also, I didn't even realize you could patent a chunk of code like that, very weird.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Nov 2, 2013

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Kairo posted:

Between the particles and lighting I am going to have the most graphically intense designer-art game ever. It's gonna be awesome. "WHY DOES THIS GAME RUN AT 20FPS FOR ME?!??"

You've pretty much won at designer-art, though. Your ship designs own.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Cool, you said you didn't have that first Chris Foss book I linked. So if you ordered it (totally wasn't expecting that), I hope it turns out to be enjoyable and maybe provides some good inspiration for making more awesome Early80sSci-Fi-styled ships.

You can't go wrong with Terran Trade Authority.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Nov 2, 2013

Kiavahr
Oct 17, 2013

Outrageous Lumpwad
Those cloud effects are great. They remind me of some of the development stuff I read for Guns of Icarus Online about the way they handle clouds and visibility. That's another Unity game and I know they have some sort of patch system running through Steam.

Actually, here's the specific post I was thinking about.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Kairo posted:

But now that I can hide units from each other, I can do things like ambushes. Space stuff is fun, but without terrain it's a lot like Napoleonic/Civil War tactics (line up and shoot). There are nuances to that for sure, but not the kind I want to put in this game. I want to make the space version of this

What sort of engagement ranges are you planning? Is it going to be pretty much mission arenas like all the classics? In my space game I keep telling myself I should make (no stealing), I imagine engagements starting from way way beyond firing and visual range where you can use tech stuff (jamming, spoofing, passive vs active sensors, going quiet, space AWACS, etc) to try to mess with your opponents. But that's almost an entire game in itself and may not lend itself to your vision.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

dupersaurus posted:

What sort of engagement ranges are you planning? Is it going to be pretty much mission arenas like all the classics? In my space game I keep telling myself I should make (no stealing), I imagine engagements starting from way way beyond firing and visual range where you can use tech stuff (jamming, spoofing, passive vs active sensors, going quiet, space AWACS, etc) to try to mess with your opponents. But that's almost an entire game in itself and may not lend itself to your vision.
My impression is that in this game you jump straight into the enemies and blow the crap out of them before they have time to respond. Your thing sounds more like Starshatter or something - much more of a cat and mouse game. Also I'm not sure what you'd really do with tech stuff if you're out of firing and visual range - if missiles and indirect fire weapons with huge ranges exist, then this is a thing, but it looks like Enemy Starfighter has the traditional space sim complement of weapons, which means no matter what fuckery you're able to get up to at a long distance, it doesn't matter because you'll have to get in close to actually shoot something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

That works for Legend of the Galactic Heroes (which was mentioned in the stream*), but that is also a very different sort of space combat than what you've got going.

* And a series I'd recommend, though its got a huge arching story across 200ish half-hour episodes and a large cast of characters (it employed practically every male voice actor in Japan when it was made). The story is less about crazy pew pew ship fights as it is a character and political pseduo-historical drama. The Napoleonic line battle-esque ship engagements set to classical music just make an awesome backdrop.

This show is awesome as gently caress, and I loving loathe 99.999999999% of anime. It's up on youtube as well.

• Locked thread