Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Dirt posted:

edit: It keeps getting weirder, with new people I don't know popping in:

:psyduck :psyduck: :psyduck:

To use the least offensive word I can think of, these people are retarded. Except for maybe the New Atlantis guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Macaroni posted:

Yikes, that's a new low. :stare: "Only poors have sex, we have season tickets to the Redskins instead!"

How'd you know he was a Washington fan? Seriously, he is and bitches weekly about there being a conspiracy to not put the better (i.e. whiter) quarterback in.

Honestly, sex being for the poor is sort of the logical endpoint of the whole "pushing kids out for the check" and "sex is evil" memes being pushed by the same person. And you get the kind of people who are as messed up as you expect from it. It took me years to get the point of having a guilt-free relationship after that, and even now it's still weird to me that established couples have a sex life-- it's not icky but instead just something I thought was just not done.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Dirt posted:

Am I totally misreading this, or is the guy in green nuts?
Standard dumb excuse-making.

There's a decent long pop-lit article on how Jefferson really wasn't super-benevolent.
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-archaeology/The-Little-Known-Dark-Side-of-Thomas-Jefferson-169780996.html?c=y&story=fullstory

Smithsonian: the Dark Side of Thomas Jefferson posted:

The critical turning point in Jefferson’s thinking may well have come in 1792. As Jefferson was counting up the agricultural profits and losses of his plantation in a letter to President Washington that year, it occurred to him that there was a phenomenon he had perceived at Monticello but never actually measured. He proceeded to calculate it in a barely legible, scribbled note in the middle of a page, enclosed in brackets. What Jefferson set out clearly for the first time was that he was making a 4 percent profit every year on the birth of black children. The enslaved were yielding him a bonanza, a perpetual human dividend at compound interest. Jefferson wrote, “I allow nothing for losses by death, but, on the contrary, shall presently take credit four per cent. per annum, for their increase over and above keeping up their own numbers.” His plantation was producing inexhaustible human assets. The percentage was predictable.

In another communication from the early 1790s, Jefferson takes the 4 percent formula further and quite bluntly advances the notion that slavery presented an investment strategy for the future. He writes that an acquaintance who had suffered financial reverses “should have been invested in negroes.” He advises that if the friend’s family had any cash left, “every farthing of it [should be] laid out in land and negroes, which besides a present support bring a silent profit of from 5. to 10. per cent in this country by the increase in their value.”

The irony is that Jefferson sent his 4 percent formula to George Washington, who freed his slaves, precisely because slavery had made human beings into money, like “Cattle in the market,” and this disgusted him. Yet Jefferson was right, prescient, about the investment value of slaves. A startling statistic emerged in the 1970s, when economists taking a hardheaded look at slavery found that on the eve of the Civil War, enslaved black people, in the aggregate, formed the second most valuable capital asset in the United States. David Brion Davis sums up their findings: “In 1860, the value of Southern slaves was about three times the amount invested in manufacturing or railroads nationwide.” The only asset more valuable than the black people was the land itself. The formula Jefferson had stumbled upon became the engine not only of Monticello but of the entire slaveholding South and the Northern industries, shippers, banks, insurers and investors who weighed risk against returns and bet on slavery. The words Jefferson used—“their increase”—became magic words.

Jefferson’s 4 percent theorem threatens the comforting notion that he had no real awareness of what he was doing, that he was “stuck” with or “trapped” in slavery, an obsolete, unprofitable, burdensome legacy. The date of Jefferson’s calculation aligns with the waning of his emancipationist fervor. Jefferson began to back away from antislavery just around the time he computed the silent profit of the “peculiar institution.”

Consider some of those children shared Jefferson blood :smith:

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Nov 1, 2013

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

sweart gliwere posted:

Standard dumb excuse-making.

There's a decent long pop-lit article on how Jefferson really wasn't super-benevolent.
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-archaeology/The-Little-Known-Dark-Side-of-Thomas-Jefferson-169780996.html?c=y&story=fullstory

Consider some of those children shared Jefferson blood :smith:

Raping your slaves is an investment so great, you'd be a fool NOT to do it!

E: Oh gently caress that joke just made me really sad :smith:

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

rkajdi posted:

How'd you know he was a Washington fan? Seriously, he is and bitches weekly about there being a conspiracy to not put the better (i.e. whiter) quarterback in.
Hah, I just picked a random team (that currently exemplifies a lot of idiocy with certain dumbass fans saying "We love the team name and will defend it forever!"). Lucky guess.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011
All the guy is saying is "white man's burden" in 2013.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
Can we please talk about whatever the gently caress New Atlantis guy is talking about? I'm familiar with the Fed/Jeckyl Island Conspiracy, but how are they connecting that to indentured servitude? Do they believe that it wasn't the government and business but rather some alien force establishing that? Like MASONS????

Badera
Jan 30, 2012

Student Brian Boyko has lost faith in America.

Dirt posted:

A friend posted this Jefferson quote:

I made a joke about him being a slave owner, and so did another guy.

After that some guy I don't know pops in, starts rambling about taxes being theft(his interpretation of the Jefferson quote), and , I guess that slavery wasn't so bad(image)?

:psyduck:

Am I totally misreading this, or is the guy in green nuts?

edit: It keeps getting weirder, with new people I don't know popping in:

:psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck:

Jesus loving Christ. Literal slavery apologism in 2013, ladies and gents. :psyduck:

If they were so well-treated and poo poo, I'd like for him to explain Nat Turner.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

De Nomolos posted:

Can we please talk about whatever the gently caress New Atlantis guy is talking about? I'm familiar with the Fed/Jeckyl Island Conspiracy, but how are they connecting that to indentured servitude? Do they believe that it wasn't the government and business but rather some alien force establishing that? Like MASONS????

Taxes are slavery, doncha know? I actually got that on my Facebook yesterday (though to be fair, in response to me trolling by posting about how pro-life is pro-slavery).

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.

Mornacale posted:

Taxes are slavery, doncha know? I actually got that on my Facebook yesterday (though to be fair, in response to me trolling by posting about how pro-life is pro-slavery).

As far as I'm concerned, when anyone makes the "taxes are slavery" argument, that's my cue to walk away from the discussion. You can't argue with idiocy like that, it's a useless fight to even get near.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
Apparently people are still defending George Zimmerman? Red Guy is a gun nut on my wall who will basically defend whoever had the most amount of guns in any particular scenario.

Kro-Bar fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 1, 2013

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
Just because he wasn't convicted doesn't mean we all don't know he did it

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/25/justice/zimmerman-juror-b29-interview/

Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.
My uncle talked about how Obama's comment of 'If I had a son, he'd look like Trayvon' was needlessly inflammatory, rather than a way to show empathy. He also believed that the shooting may have been justified because Trayvon had slammed Zimmerman's head into the concrete.

Nyarai fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Nov 1, 2013

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Mornacale posted:

Taxes are slavery, doncha know?

Yes, of course. Now, allow me to explain without a hint of irony why slavery was actually a good thing for black people...

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Nyarai posted:

My uncle talked about how Obama's comment of 'If I had a son, he'd look like Trayvon' was needlessly inflammatory, rather than a way to show empathy.

I really don't understand how people feel the need to turn that phrase around into something it obviously didn't mean. the freep thread is full of examples of it.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

BraveUlysses posted:

I really don't understand how people feel the need to turn that phrase around into something it obviously didn't mean. the freep thread is full of examples of it.

Because Obama is a black man and that's scary as hell to a lot of people.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

Mornacale posted:

But that's not what he's talking about. He's specifically referencing a FederalReserve conspiracy theory. There's a book Fed haters love called The Creature from Jeckyl Island that asserts that the Fed was established as a conspiracy among government and bankers to control the money supply and thus every machination of the economy.

This guy is taking it further. Either it's just the usual anti-Semitic crap about bankers or Masons, or something new.

nyquil hangover
Jun 27, 2013

sick but sociable
50+ comment debate on my newsfeed about who was worse, Andrew Jackson or Obama

nyquil hangover fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Nov 14, 2013

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Nyarai posted:

He also believed that Trayvon had slammed Zimmerman's head into the concrete.

Even if he did, he(Trayvon) was acting in self-defense.

Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.

TerminalSaint posted:

Even if he did, he(Trayvon) was acting in self-defense.

I worded that poorly and don't want to start a derail. :shobon:

Nyarai fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Nov 1, 2013

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

nyquil hangover posted:

50+ comment debate on my newsfeed about who was worse, Andrew Jackson or Obama

Third comment is literally a link to the Wikipedia entry for the Trail of Tears but the anti-Obama dude keeps going

I once had a friend-of-a-friend in a Facebook discussion call me an Illuminati-brainwashed sheep buying into the evil bankers' propaganda for suggesting that Andrew Jackson was anything less than a saint. gently caress knows why, the guy in question is one of those really weird 'the Rothschilds control everything' crazies and nothing he ever says makes sense.

He then went on to say that Woodrow Wilson was actually the worst president in history, and the only good thing he did was the Palmer Raids. :psyduck: It might have been an intentional dig at me, given that my profile picture was the IWW logo at the time.

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Nov 1, 2013

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Mister Bates posted:

I once had a friend-of-a-friend in a Facebook discussion call me an Illuminati-brainwashed sheep buying into the evil bankers' propaganda for suggesting that Andrew Jackson was anything less than a saint. gently caress knows why, the guy in question is one of those really weird 'the Rothschilds control everything' crazies and nothing he ever says makes sense.

Andrew Jackson was against central banking, in part due to concerns similar to those of this flavor of conspiracy theorist, so they lionize him. It's sort of uncomfortable when one of the major historical patrons of your ideology happened to commit out-and-out genocide.

stan worship
Oct 23, 2013

Mister Bates posted:

He then went on to say that Woodrow Wilson was actually the worst president in history, and the only good thing he did was the Palmer Raids. :psyduck: It might have been an intentional dig at me, given that my profile picture was the IWW logo at the time.

Yeah, it's part of that whole illuminati conspiracy garbage. The Rothschild family which ran several banks in Europe supposedly were involved with the first and second Bank of the United States. This isn't historically true, but then the conspiracy theory goes on that since the Rothschilds had a lot of business interests in England, they were using the Bank of the United States to cause an economic collapse, or something, which would let England retake the US. Andrew Jackson, of course, revoked its charter. Personally, I find the illuminati conspiracy theory where Adam Weishaupt kills George Washington and takes his place more entertaining, but that's just me.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
And in case it wasn't obvious, it also explains his hatred of Woodrow Wilson, signer of the Federal Reserve Act.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Got a good classic from my grandpa today. I'm sure you guys have seen it before.

quote:

Everyone seems to be wondering why Muslim terrorists are so quick to commit suicide.

Let's have a look at the evidence:

- No Christmas
- No television
- No nude women
- No football
- No pork chops
- No hot dogs
- No burgers
- No beer
- No bacon
- Rags for clothes
- Towels for hats
- Constant wailing from a tower
- More than one wife
- More than one mother in law
- You can't shave
- Your wife can't shave
- You can't wash off the smell of donkey
- Your wife is picked by someone else for you
- and your wife smells worse than your donkey
Then they tell you that "when you die, it all gets better"??
It's not like it could get much worse

AND

THE MUSLIMS ARE NOT HAPPY!

They're not happy in Gaza .
They're not happy in Egypt ..
They're not happy in Libya ..
They're not happy in Morocco ..
They're not happy in Iran ..
They're not happy in Iraq .
They're not happy in Yemen ..
They're not happy in Afghanistan ..
They're not happy in Pakistan ..
They're not happy in Syria ..
They're not happy in Lebanon ..

SO, WHERE ARE THEY HAPPY?

They're happy in Australia .
They're happy in Canada .
They're happy in England ..
They're happy in France ..
They're happy in Italy ..
They're happy in Germany ..
They're happy in Sweden ..
They're happy in the USA .
They're happy in Norway ..
They're happy in Holland .
They're happy in Denmark .

Basically, they're happy in every country that is not Muslim and unhappy in every country that is!

AND WHO DO THEY BLAME?

Not Islam.
Not their leadership.
Not themselves.

THEY BLAME THE COUNTRIES THEY ARE HAPPY IN!

AND THEN; They want to change those countries to be like....
THE COUNTRY THEY CAME FROM WHERE THEY WERE UNHAPPY!

Pardon me, but I can't help wondering...
How drat dumb can you get?

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
"No burgers"? Beef is halal, no? Oh... does he think "ham"burgers are made out of pork?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Edible Hat posted:

"No burgers"? Beef is halal, no? Oh... does he think "ham"burgers are made out of pork?
Cheeseburgers are halal but not kosher. Bacon double cheeseburgers are neither halal nor kosher.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Nyarai posted:

My uncle talked about how Obama's comment of 'If I had a son, he'd look like Trayvon' was needlessly inflammatory, rather than a way to show empathy. He also believed that the shooting may have been justified because Trayvon had slammed Zimmerman's head into the concrete.

"If Obama was supposed to unite us, why am I celebrating the death of a black kid to spite him?" is probably the most horrifying talking point of the Obama years. If not, then it's up there.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Can't even dignify that spiel with a response.

Also No Football.
Hah!
No football he says.

Anyways it's just that big list of 'hey look at me! Bigot and loving it!'

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Walter posted:

As far as I'm concerned, when anyone makes the "taxes are slavery" argument, that's my cue to walk away from the discussion. You can't argue with idiocy like that, it's a useless fight to even get near.

I was thinking about this earlier for purposes of arguing about flat/regressive taxation. A flat tax doesn't work for reasons analogous to the taxes are slavery argument. A 10% flat tax sounds great to some people, but once you crank it up to 50, 70, 99 you start seeing why marginal utility matters. But when you go from 99 to 100% all barriers are shattered and everyone is equally hosed.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
So a friend from high school was shot twice in the leg at the LAX shooting today, and there's ALREADY ARGUMENTS erupting on facebook about false flags and loving taking our guns and Obummer's TSA Nazis and god drat.

It's just so incredibly demoralizing to deal with such a vitriolic, pathological mindset. I dunno I'm just glad he's OK :(

nyquil hangover
Jun 27, 2013

sick but sociable
Is every future mass shooting/disaster going to be immediately called a false flag by a bunch of shut-ins with YouTube accounts?

I'm so disgusted by this trend. I can't imagine how the survivors of Sandy Hook, etc. would feel if they saw one of those macros "proving" the whole thing was faked. Jesus Christ, these conspiracy theories keep getting more personal and more disgusting.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Every single time the RWA and/or conspiracy theorist base starts yammering on about something completely inane, I start to understand the allure of fascism.

Then I snap out of it, realize I'm a horrible person; however, I'm not nearly as much as a horrible person I'm giving myself credit for because I have this one weird trick conservatives everywhere hate: introspection.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

nyquil hangover posted:

Is every future mass shooting/disaster going to be immediately called a false flag by a bunch of shut-ins with YouTube accounts?

Yes.

GrabbinPeels
Jan 3, 2010

I only regret not giving up sooner.

"drat Democrats, thinking people should get things like access to healthcare and protection from harmful manufactured goods."

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

GrabbinPeels posted:

"drat Democrats, thinking people should get things like access to healthcare and protection from harmful manufactured goods."

I'm also not pro-choice on stealing, rape, or vehicular manslaughter. Funny, it's almost like believing people have a choice in some situations doesn't require you to support choices in every other situation.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Cops are disgusting, and also they have facebook pages

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

VitalSigns posted:

I'm also not pro-choice on stealing, rape, or vehicular manslaughter. Funny, it's almost like believing people have a choice in some situations doesn't require you to support choices in every other situation.

What are the externalities of abortion? (I'm sure you guys can think of ONE, I doubt most pro-lifers would understand the concept if you explained it to them.)

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

The first post was kinda funny.

Then it turned out he was serious and it became pretty unfunny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Breadallelogram posted:

Got a good classic from my grandpa today. I'm sure you guys have seen it before.
I think if someone I knew posted this I would start by saying, "You've never met an actual real-life Muslim before, have you? Because they tend to be, you know, actual people. No seriously, they're human beings like us."

Also, someone is apparently unaware that Muslims exist outside of the Middle East (like 80% of them), and that one of the big causes of the problems in the Middle East is a long history of the Western powers loving their poo poo up. And that's before we get to the stuff that's just plain racist.

I'm American and I don't give a poo poo about football and don't drink beer, and while I'm cool with people liking those things, they've never made my life better, at all.

And pretending Christians have never said "it gets better after you die" is the cherry on the poo poo sundae.