Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Schweinhund posted:

Take your cable modem in and exchange it for a new one.

I've been using the old Westel modem they original gave me since 2005. A month or so ago I replaced it with a new Netgear modem and the problem persists. I've been through three different routers, same deal. :smith:

Their support is 24/7 luckily so I'll call them tonight once my family goes to sleep. Until then I'm just twiddling my thumbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

Behold! A Elk! posted:

I was doing some shopping today and I noticed something strange. Why does every shape of pasta have 16oz of pasta in the standard box but farfalle only has 12oz for most of the major brands?

edit: I'm sorry I wasn't thinking I should probably have put this in GWS

I'm not sure. In my experience, I have seen various boxes of pasta come down from 16 oz to 12 oz. My guess is that this saves them money because you 'think' that you are buying a pound, but you are not.

Also, don't buy Barilla pasta if you are OK with gay couples marrying. Apparently the owner of Barilla thinks that gay couples cannot be families or some-such nonsense.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Behold! A Elk! posted:

I was doing some shopping today and I noticed something strange. Why does every shape of pasta have 16oz of pasta in the standard box but farfalle only has 12oz for most of the major brands?

edit: I'm sorry I wasn't thinking I should probably have put this in GWS

I've always imagined it goes like this:

Farfalle is more expensive to make

If you sell 16 oz of farfalle for more than 16 oz of radiatore, nobody will buy farfalle, even if they sort of wanted farfalle in the first place

If you sell 12 oz of farfalle for the same as 16 oz of radiatore, people who came looking for farfalle won't be discouraged and will buy it after all

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Vin BioEthanol posted:

It should work yeah, I think you're onto something. Everyone who wears glasses should do this.

I've got a pair of clip ons that I put on my glasses.

Not these, but something like that I bought at CVS:
http://www.focalprice.com/HP975X/Cl...CFa47MgodeFgACQ

gopperhopper
May 9, 2005

hey, are those my chips?
I recently inherited some stock, what would be the easiest way to sell some of it? I'm looking to avoid setting up a brokerage account and am uninterested in buying/trading, just wanting to do one sell order really.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Ularg posted:

Okay. I need to call them since me and my family have been a customer since 2005 and since 2012 the quality of my internet connection continues to degrade to the point of frustration and unusability. Even with a 6mbps connection

240p/360p Youtube ad before a video? Sorry, can't stream that without taking 30 seconds to buffer the next 10-15. You want to stream videos? Sorry. You want to play online video games? Sorry. Random and constant disconnections anywhere from a few seconds, just enough to kick me out of my video game server or VOIP client, or 10 minutes.

I've gotten actual mind-splitting migraines and depressive episodes from how absolutely crap my internet connection is. So I hope they don't continue to blow me off.

Not sure if I should call them out if they tell me again they don't support whatever router I am currently using.

I remember being able to stream music while playing on Xbox Live or online on my PC forever without any problems. Their stupid bandwith caps probably have something to do with this along with their refusal to replace the completely ancient ADSL copper lines.

That sounds like you might have some signal to noise / downstream power problems, or a dying modem like Schweinhund suggested. Can you log into your modem's control panel? If so, check the stats and see if they match these "acceptable cable modem signal levels."

Also threaten to cancel every time you call. I'm dead serious about this. This is a silver bullet to either A) get a tech out there sooner rather than later, or B) to get a discounted/free month of service.

Otherwise, enjoy your favorite telecommunications monopoly like the rest of us! :smithicide:

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

gopperhopper posted:

I recently inherited some stock, what would be the easiest way to sell some of it? I'm looking to avoid setting up a brokerage account and am uninterested in buying/trading, just wanting to do one sell order really.

The stock is already in a brokerage account. Call them and tell them you want to liquidate everything and have them send you an ACH transfer to your bank account or mail you a check.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Is there a setting to stop twitter showing pictures? I've looked in the options. It seems to now embed every thing in the tweet where it used to be a link or a thumbnail I think?

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Ularg posted:

I wouldn't even know how to correctly call and ask for the department honestly. I've only ever called them twice and both times I just told the robot "Connection issues" then lied when it asked me "Can you connect to AT&T's website?"

Just say "operator" anytime it asks you a question or try gethuman.com.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Sieg posted:

Just say "operator" anytime it asks you a question or try gethuman.com.

You can also say nothing, or garble some gibberish, and as long as it doesn't sound like one of the options you'll get a human.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Indian domain names are super cheap and I sort of like the .in TLD

I need a personal website to show off my professional body of work (product design), all my more artist-y friends get firstname lastname.com or firstname middleinitial lastname.com but I have a really generic name and all the domains remotely associated with my name are snapped up (.com/net/org).

Most of them are available with the .in TLD, does it look weird if I have a .in address? Too.. internet-y? Not professional?

Also I have no idea where I can ask this to get a better response.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
The usual preferred thing for people to do is to make a domain like "FirstnameLastnameDesigns.com" rather then to switch to foreign domain names. Hate to say it, but a lot of people just don't get alternate top level domains, and you might end up dealing with someone who wanted to hire you but thinks .in must mean you're really a scammer or something like that. Or a hiring manager who sees https://www.yourname.in and types it in as https://www.yourname.in.com and thinks you're the one who messed up.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
AT&T support was another courteous conversation and they'll be actually keeping a log on my internet connection (slow speeds, random drops, that sort of thing) until tomorrow and will send someone out if I still need it.

Also the operator thing totally worked. Thank you guys. :D

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Not an Anthem posted:

Indian domain names are super cheap and I sort of like the .in TLD

I'd recommend against a non-.com/.net People will want to put one of those automatically. Agree with Install Windows, maybe FirstLastDesigns? Or DesignsByFirstLast? I ended up creating an LLC and marketing myself by my business name instead, in order to get my .com and .net

miryei
Oct 11, 2011
Let's say my purchase consists of 15 identical items. What's the etiquette on using the 10-item express lane?

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

miryei posted:

Let's say my purchase consists of 15 identical items. What's the etiquette on using the 10-item express lane?

since the checker can scan one item and press qt. 15 on her register, you'll go through faster than people with 10 items, I say it's fine. The 10 or less is to keep the checkout time low, and you're doing that despite your 15 items.

That doesn't mean some snobby asshat behind you won't cause a stink though.

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

On an elliptical machine, is the "fat burn" setting the same thing as when people talk about "interval" training? I notice on that setting the resistance changes so I was wondering if that was the "interval" part.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Smeep posted:

On an elliptical machine, is the "fat burn" setting the same thing as when people talk about "interval" training? I notice on that setting the resistance changes so I was wondering if that was the "interval" part.

The interval is where you change intensity (speed, slope, whatever) in intervals. A lot of machines have built-in programs that will automatically switch between them. The fat burn thing is based around the idea that keeping your heart rate lower during exercise is better for losing weight and higher is better for cardio training, but I don't know if that's really how it works.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
I made a reservation six months ago at a hotel with a "don't show up, we charge the first night to your card" policy. Five months ago our travel plans changed, but I completely forgot about the reservation. So when we didn't show up, the next day they called me to find out what's up and said the first night had been charged.

Except, in the intervening six months, the card I gave them has been maxed out. And I see no transaction in my records. Did I get away scot free, or will they be sending collections after me? I haven't heard anything since, and this was two weeks ago.

kidhash
Jan 10, 2007

Golbez posted:

I made a reservation six months ago at a hotel with a "don't show up, we charge the first night to your card" policy. Five months ago our travel plans changed, but I completely forgot about the reservation. So when we didn't show up, the next day they called me to find out what's up and said the first night had been charged.

Except, in the intervening six months, the card I gave them has been maxed out. And I see no transaction in my records. Did I get away scot free, or will they be sending collections after me? I haven't heard anything since, and this was two weeks ago.

I used to run the front desk of a hotel. They will probably keep trying to charge the card. Eventually they will give up.

isoprenaline
Jun 4, 2005

And there, till Christ call forth the dead,
In silence let him lie:
No need to waste the foolish tear,
Or heave the windy sigh:
The man had killed the thing he loved,
And so he had to die.
I have a Netgear WN3000RP Wi-Fi extender.

Does it matter which way the antenna point? Dose their orientation effect performance?

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

My grandpa has cancer and I want to shave my head in support of him when I visit, though I've never done it before. Any tips on not turning my scalp into a blood fountain?

Use clippers without the guard to buzz off your hair. Then shave with a regular razor and shaving cream or shaving soap. Use a new blade. Afterwards, put on some moisturizing shaving balm.

It's actually really hard to cut yourself on the scalp, since the skin there is a lot smoother and tighter than on the scrotum face and neck.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

isoprenaline posted:

I have a Netgear WN3000RP Wi-Fi extender.

Does it matter which way the antenna point? Dose their orientation effect performance?

Antennas, by their nature, have a radiation gain pattern. Those antennas are likely designed to be omnidirectional, but nothing is perfect. They probably don't radiate as strongly directly below them, at the connection point, for example.

You don't need to fuss with them like rabbit ears on a TV, and depending on your needs, you may be completely unable to see a difference at all, but "straight up" is likely what their best/intended orientation is.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

miryei posted:

There is no etiquette. I'm serious, I used to work at Wal-Mart and I always requested to be put at the express lane because I just thought it was more fun (fun in a relative way, everything about Wal-Mart sucks rear end). A cashier can't turn you away for having too many items - the manager will tell you that. It's more of a guideline than a rule.

I believe I hold the world record for checking out the most items at the 10-items or less lane - over 800. People with hundreds of spools of thread are THE WORST because you can't just scan one and x100 on the register because they're all different colors so you have to scan each one individually. Yes, people regularly have entire shopping carts full of nothing but spools of thread. And they often choose the 10-items or less lane, go figure.

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

stubblyhead posted:

The interval is where you change intensity (speed, slope, whatever) in intervals. A lot of machines have built-in programs that will automatically switch between them. The fat burn thing is based around the idea that keeping your heart rate lower during exercise is better for losing weight and higher is better for cardio training, but I don't know if that's really how it works

Thanks ... so does that mean if I want to do Intervals I can just run it on Fat Burn since it's doing it automatically? Or do I still need to change settings manually during the session? The only setting you can change on our machine is the levels 1-12, which I guess is speed? There's no options for incline or the stuff I've read about on other machines. Sorry to ask another probably really dumb question.

Cleatcleat
Mar 27, 2010
In TV and movies one person will say to another to close their eyes and imagine something, to see it in their head. That's a made up tv / movie, right? I close my eyes and try to think of something, a table, and I get nothing. Always been that way but tv / movies make it seem like everyone can imagine something at the drop of a hat.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Cleatcleat posted:

In TV and movies one person will say to another to close their eyes and imagine something, to see it in their head. That's a made up tv / movie, right? I close my eyes and try to think of something, a table, and I get nothing. Always been that way but tv / movies make it seem like everyone can imagine something at the drop of a hat.

Your brain is defective.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Cleatcleat posted:

There has to be a name for not having the ability to visualize something.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Cleatcleat posted:

No you are the unusual one. That said, it is not as unusual as it sounds, I think something like 10% of people never visualize things so don't worry about it.

Namarrgon fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Nov 2, 2013

Cleatcleat
Mar 27, 2010
Ok, well that blows. Thanks for the answer, now I know.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Cleatcleat posted:

I'm basically the same way, but no, it's not normal. I'm fine with imagining a conceptual table, and then doing things with it, but nothing up here looks like anything, and I'm pretty terrible with simultaneously imagining several distinct things. They get lumped into a functional group, and then I work from there.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Cleatcleat posted:

Ok, well that blows. Thanks for the answer, now I know.

How do your dreams look like?

Cleatcleat
Mar 27, 2010

Namarrgon posted:

How do your dreams look like?

I don't remember them. I know I dream because some times a sudden jolt wakes me up and I have a small sense I was doing something but then I remember I'm in bed so I go back to sleep.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Cleatcleat posted:

I don't remember them. I know I dream because some times a sudden jolt wakes me up and I have a small sense I was doing something but then I remember I'm in bed so I go back to sleep.

Ah well that is a shame. I was thinking you might be interested in the subject so a quick comparison; when most people 'visualize' things they see it in the same way as if it were a movie in their head. Beyond that the details vary from person to person. Some people have concrete details for everything in their imagination and some people go more abstract. Personally, if I imagine a table that table with it's physical properties is 'in focus' and the rest of the room or environment are a bit more blurry and vague, the way you'd see things in your peripheral vision.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

And the mind's eye can get worse as you age :(

Cleatcleat
Mar 27, 2010

Namarrgon posted:

Ah well that is a shame. I was thinking you might be interested in the subject so a quick comparison; when most people 'visualize' things they see it in the same way as if it were a movie in their head. Beyond that the details vary from person to person. Some people have concrete details for everything in their imagination and some people go more abstract. Personally, if I imagine a table that table with it's physical properties is 'in focus' and the rest of the room or environment are a bit more blurry and vague, the way you'd see things in your peripheral vision.

That sounds like a very useful ability. This is sorta like finding out Santa Clause is real, just for everyone else. Thanks for the info, I'll be crawling back to my rock now.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Cleatcleat posted:

That sounds like a very useful ability. This is sorta like finding out Santa Clause is real, just for everyone else. Thanks for the info, I'll be crawling back to my rock now.

So what happens if you're reading fiction?

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

For me it can get extremely vivid when I'm on the verge of falling asleep, but still conscious. I'll be half sleeping and able to fully control what I'm seeing which (at that point) I see as if it were real. I've been training it for a while now and it sometimes transitions into a fully lucid dream. It's a lot of fun.

Cleatcleat
Mar 27, 2010

PaganGoatPants posted:

So what happens if you're reading fiction?

I use to get Goosebumps back in school through the schoolastic book ordering thingy. I still have them in a box in the basement. I'm guessing everyone else imagined a little world for each book. Best way I can describe it, is that I felt more like reading a description / report of events than being part of them? If that makes sense, and no I don't read for fun or own any more books, and I stopped getting those books after a while because it turned into a chore to read. I have a feeling a followup question will be for tv / movies. I don't get invested, if that's the right word, when it comes to movies / tv. I just see people reading lines and wearing clothes someone else picked out for them. It's still pretty though, so I watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Cleatcleat posted:

I use to get Goosebumps back in school through the schoolastic book ordering thingy. I still have them in a box in the basement. I'm guessing everyone else imagined a little world for each book. Best way I can describe it, is that I felt more like reading a description / report of events than being part of them? If that makes sense, and no I don't read for fun or own any more books, and I stopped getting those books after a while because it turned into a chore to read. I have a feeling a followup question will be for tv / movies. I don't get invested, if that's the right word, when it comes to movies / tv. I just see people reading lines and wearing clothes someone else picked out for them. It's still pretty though, so I watch.

Do you have the ability to empathize?