Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Kai Tave posted:

I don't know if that's intentional on his part so much as inevitable. For all her glib talk about not liking to kill people and cheery disposition Root's still basically kind of crazy. Notice that all this time she's telling us (through telling other characters) that she and the Machine are "arguing" things like a couple of people having a spirited debate that we're only ever getting her side of these conversations and she's not exactly the most reliable narrator. It's still an open question exactly what the Machine as an entity is really like...whether it's even sapient or not...and so Root may be projecting a lot onto the Machine that's frankly all just in her head.
The projection is pretty clear with her calling the Machine a "she". I highly doubt a self developed awareness would choose a gender. There's no reason for it. Was a nice detail when Finch called her out on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Equinox
Sep 15, 2005

By day a mild-mannered college professor, by night Kiki, go-go dancer at the Pussycat Club. But twice a year, he's... CAPTAIN EQUINOX!

Squidster posted:

Relevant, Irrelevant, and Necessary.

Revised categories: Relevant, Irrelevant, and poo poo Just Got Real

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Relevant, Irrelevant, Maitenance.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Maintenance.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
This show has come such a long way since it's initial episodes. The basic premise, this person is about to be murdered/about to murder someone, sounded sssoooo procedural. I watched because of Nolan and Emerson and honestly figured it might be one of those shows you put on in the background while reading. At this point, just 2.5 seasons in, we've gone from a very high concept procedural, to running around with with a group of near superheroes who are carrying out the Will of God :catstare:

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Oh man, apparently for the dead hoarder lady who's apartment Finch and Sloane are investigating at the start of the episode, they tried to use a photoshop of Jonah Nolan wearing a wig, they ended up going with an actual woman but here's the mockup:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

beanieson posted:

This show has come such a long way since it's initial episodes. The basic premise, this person is about to be murdered/about to murder someone, sounded sssoooo procedural. I watched because of Nolan and Emerson and honestly figured it might be one of those shows you put on in the background while reading. At this point, just 2.5 seasons in, we've gone from a very high concept procedural, to running around with with a group of near superheroes who are carrying out the Will of God :catstare:

This is honestly how I felt about it myself, though I actually thought it was a decent show even from the beginning, but I did strongly suspect that it was going to be a very procedural show that spun its wheels endlessly with "secrets" that went nowhere, and with the whole "the Machine was built after 9/11 to stop terrorism" I was also kind of suspecting (and dreading) some not-so-subtle fellating of modern surveillance practices as a "necessary evil," a sort of rarified "hard men making hard decisions" for the wiretap set.

Instead it's become quite the show, more than I suspected it would. The showrunners deserve a lot of credit, in my opinion, for how well they handle the various arcs and plot threads they've woven throughout the show so far. I admit I had a bit of post-Lost cynicism regarding shows with flashbacks and ~mysterious secrets~ largely because a lot of them just seem to mean nothing and go nowhere, but PoI actually knows the value of bringing things to a close (and also understands that resolving an arc doesn't mean you can't revisit it down the line).

At this point the thing that I find myself wondering about the most is what's the endgame? I mean, we've gone from, as you say, a high-concept procedural to a story that's as much about the self-actualization of the world's first A.I. as it is anything else. How much further are they planning to run with this?

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I love the flashbacks because it's always from the machine's POV and shows it learning and using the flashbacks to figure things out. In fact it's interesting because it seems we, the viewers, are always the machines POV.

Also, I like how root has the yellow boarder, but it's only half filled in.
Knowlege of the machine, but not directly an asset.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
It's her own unique designation square as the Analog Interface. Which raises the question whether that designation was always there within the Machine's programming waiting to be used or if it devised it on its own.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
The Machine physically cares about Finch remember, he's the machine's creator.

I kind of wonder what it would do if Finch was ever in danger that John couldn't save him from.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

sbaldrick posted:

The Machine physically cares about Finch remember, he's the machine's creator.

I kind of wonder what it would do if Finch was ever in danger that John couldn't save him from.

I really doubt it'd be good, but drat it'd be awesome. The Machine has passive fingers into everything, and has the ability to expand it's passive abilities through decryption and hacking. Imagine what it might do if it manipulated things directly.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
You remember how persistent it was when it could text message Finch? Imagine that, but where it could use anything. Of course, that's assuming it didn't already use Northern Lights or Root to save him.

stoops
Jun 11, 2001
I really hope Ma'm is not a woman, but the machine.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

We've already seen control to be a person.

stoops
Jun 11, 2001

Zaggitz posted:

We've already seen control to be a person.

Really? I don't recall that. I thought we only knew ma'm from the phonecall made to Hersh.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

In the s2 finale when the machine starts contacting people again Hersh talks to her in person while she's in a snazzy limo. She's wearing gloves and it out of frame so we don't get any info other than "yup Ma'am is at least actually a woman."

edit: It's actually the same scene I used for my screencap of Hersh in the OP.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
Great episode as always. Did anyone happen to see whether Collier (black patriot dude) had a yellow box? I notice Shaw and Root had yellow boxes with different borders which was interesting. I thought the storage locker scene shed some light(sorry) about how much Vigilance knows about the Machine. Notice how there were no cameras in the area and how the group used the equivalent of invisible ink to communicate in a world full of WiFi and how it used a code based on some of the oldest technology available: a book.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

They might suspect something like the Machine exists, but to conclude that because they avoid traditional surveillance methods that they know of it is bit too far. Wouldn't they be pulling a Snowden right now? They gain nothing from keeping it a secret. In fact public knowledge of such a system would likely swing a lot of opinion in their favor. They know they are being watched but they are also paranoid nerds, so it makes sense they'd avoid all traceable forms of communication when they do really important things.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Don't forget that PRISM is a thing in POI land too. So they're totally worried about government or oppositional surveillance, while not the machine specifically.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I kind of wonder if this show will have the balls to expose the machine to the public in this or next year's finale, exploring the kind of world THAT creates in subsequent seasons.

Wouldn't be a mark against the show if it didn't happen, of course, but I am curious.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Loved this last episode, but I have the somewhat bizarre criticism (maybe worry is a better word) that the show is doing too much of what I want it to do. The overall Machine arc (which I want to see) has caused the procedural aspects to get a bit sloppy. Finch should have been more careful tailing him and there should have been more fallout, or at least suspicion, on the part of Charlie Francis. From his perspective, Finch should have been a prime suspect for involvement in his brother's 'death.' It may just be that the first two seasons did such a fantastic job of blending the two.

Anyway, I'm really liking Carter's plot.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

JossiRossi posted:

They might suspect something like the Machine exists, but to conclude that because they avoid traditional surveillance methods that they know of it is bit too far. Wouldn't they be pulling a Snowden right now? They gain nothing from keeping it a secret. In fact public knowledge of such a system would likely swing a lot of opinion in their favor. They know they are being watched but they are also paranoid nerds, so it makes sense they'd avoid all traceable forms of communication when they do really important things.

I'm not saying it's it 100% proof or anything but I think it is pretty interesting. It's hard to trace burner phones and several other forms of communication that are way more convenient than writing on a wall.
The PRISM thing came out this year but yet they had those storage sheds rented for an entire year which would have even been before PRISM was leaked.
As for the Snowden thing I think it is at least possible that they might know of it but don't have enough proof to reveal it to the public yet. That's why I was curious if Collier was a yellow box because he's really the only named member so far but it is unknown what position he even has within the organization. When they exposed the data miner they were extremely thorough and deliberate and in this one they were kind of aggressive. I don't know it will be interesting to find out who knows what. Show rules.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I figure they might do the Root thing and be all "man how do these guys keep stopping us before we even do what we wanna do." and one of them (probably collier) will deduce that something like the Machine has to be helping them.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Recall at the beginning of the episode when Collier and the other members of Vigilance are taking a vote on whether to kill the brother that the Machine is able to listen in on them ("Decrypting TOR Network"). Presumably if they knew about the Machine and its capabilities they would be even more paranoid than they already are.

DivisionPost posted:

I kind of wonder if this show will have the balls to expose the machine to the public in this or next year's finale, exploring the kind of world THAT creates in subsequent seasons.

Wouldn't be a mark against the show if it didn't happen, of course, but I am curious.

I think "the Machine goes public" would almost have to be something that happens only when the show is nearing the end of its run...it's such a massive game-changer that once it happens the show would pretty much have to become something else entirely.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

:siren:Tonight's Episode:siren:: The Perfect Mark

Synopsis:The number of a hypnotherapist comes up whose life, upon investigation by the team, suggests he is more than just a master of the mind. Meanwhile, Carter tracks an antiquities dealer whose business is connected to HR.

Preview

Sneak Peek

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Best part about waiting for PoI is seeing the tail end of NCIS: Olive Garden.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah yeah no poo poo De Blasio won the election now stop cutting into my Person of Interest dammit.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Regy Rusty posted:

Yeah yeah no poo poo De Blasio won the election now stop cutting into my Person of Interest dammit.

B-but communism!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

So the PoI this week is pulling multiple scams.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Its part of his con.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Can't trust anyone these days :(

edit:
Carter you had better be working an angle with that nephew murdering rear end in a top hat.

JossiRossi fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Nov 6, 2013

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
God...dammit Carter, you talk to the wrong loving people :eng99:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That is a dangerous number of simultaneous scams he's running to be honest.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

HR is after the therapist now, but they weren't the ones to trigger the alert I don't think. Unless the Machine is getting better at predicting.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also, wouldn't the "Swede's" name pop up first?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Wasn't "HR" just originally the nickname the one supervillain dirty cop gave himself for Fusco to refer to him as? It's kind of funny how they slowly extended that to be the name of the whole dirty cop organization.

edit: whoa, that commercial break was like a minute long.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Has the machine tried to save non-Americans (excluding immigrants) before? Maybe it only cares about people in the US system.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
I demand more Fusco. This season has been really good, but adding Root and Shaw as regulars reduced Fusco's screentime way too much.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

JossiRossi posted:

Has the machine tried to save non-Americans (excluding immigrants) before? Maybe it only cares about people in the US system.

Non-Americans wouldn't have SSNs or alien registration numbers, so I imagine it wouldn't have a way of ID'ing them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

JossiRossi posted:

The diplomat's(ambassador's?) daughter off the top of my head

• Locked thread