Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Costello Jello posted:

But maybe not chemistry classes, because magnetite is in fact a type of iron oxide (Fe3O4).

I don't think you understand that I am not disagreeing with you, I am explaining why I made a fine distinction in terminology. Of course magnetite is made of one particular version of iron oxide.

e. But also a geologist would not point at a hunk of magenetite and say "this is iron oxide," they'd say "this is magnetite, a mineral whose primary chemical composition is iron oxide," because the latter is more precise than the former.

Geologists care about what is a rock, what is a mineral, what is a chemical. It's a taxonomoic nomenclature thing.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Aug 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

hayden. posted:

Oh you tease, simply buying magnetite like that is impossible around here I would guess. Did you find it locally or have to get it shipped for a ridiculous price?

I heard firebrick actually has the reverse problem - it absorbs a ton of heat and takes forever to warm up. The guy in the youtube coated them in refractory mortar to counter this.

It actually wasn't too horrible. I think I paid about 300 bucks at the ceramics place, all told. Including the clay and the magnetite. It wasn't exactly dirt cheap though... They had to bring it in, no one carries that much magnetite glaze just to have it in stock, but they didn't charge me some exorbitant price to ship it in. Nice people.

gently caress, really? Refractory mortar? That poo poo is expensive as hell. Was it that ITC whatever numbers stuff?

apatite posted:

Will say it again: your electric tractor thread is what got me truly hooked on SA. Before that it was more of an occasional time-waster. Now there is this awesome DIY community and my heart is so warm and fuzzy all the time. Oh, the beautiful projects...

Thank you for bringing the tractor to a tractor show somewhere to show it off. I bet you had tons of old dudes either completely loathing it (you blasphemer) or totally loving it (you wonderful bastard). Some day I will have the electric tractor of my dreams. Dad has an old Allis Chalmers chassis for parts that would probably work but I'd prefer to start with something in much better shape.

The bloomery is most excellent as well. I've been touring some of the abandoned iron mines around here (three so far) and was thinking about what you said before about high iron content sand.

Keep up the good work!

:hfive: They were actually all really positive about it, and really interested. I spent a ton of time talking about it, explaining various pieces and how they work. I didn't get a lot of smithing time because of it, but that's alright.

Leperflesh posted:

Could you smelt iron oxide? I know ceramicists use it as a glaze component, which means it's available in refined powdered form in bags of a reasonable size from ceramics supply companies.

As far as I am aware, all iron smelting is done with an iron oxide (of whatever chemical composition) as a feedstock. If you're recycling iron, it's usually called refining, or taking high carbon pig iron or cast iron and reducing it to various forms of high/low carbon steel.

I tried to buy from axner, fuckers wouldn't ship what I wanted to Canada :argh:

Rapulum_Dei posted:

If you're interested in that sort of thing I have a friend who has a modified old ferguson tractor with a V8 engine.

Not really my bag, but by all means, please post some pictures. Well done engine swaps are cool.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.
I keep telling people about the slow race, but nobody seems to find it nearly as exciting and/or entertaining as I do, not even my sister, who has far more experience driving the things than I do. How is an event where tractors intentionally go extremely slow not hilarious?

Parachute
May 18, 2003
You have no idea how happy it made me to see so many new posts and pictures (of awesome tractors no less) in this thread! Again, thanks for taking the time to document all of this, it's much appreciated.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

Slung Blade posted:

Not really my bag, but by all means, please post some pictures. Well done engine swaps are cool.

I'll not clog up the thread with it but if anyone wants to take a look here's some pictures http://www.jrv8.co.uk/gallery.php

Interested to see how the smelting goes. I bought the plans a while ago to build a foundry and have managed to source a supplier for refractory cement at a reasonable price so the only thing stopping me is my own lack of urgency.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

GabrielAisling posted:

I keep telling people about the slow race, but nobody seems to find it nearly as exciting and/or entertaining as I do, not even my sister, who has far more experience driving the things than I do. How is an event where tractors intentionally go extremely slow not hilarious?

Especially one where Slungblade shows up with his crazy homemade electric tractor to defeat the man who cared so much about the race that he built a custom gearbox for his tractor and had won the last 5 years. Talk about Shakespearean drama.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Costello Jello posted:

Especially one where Slungblade shows up with his crazy homemade electric tractor to defeat the man who cared so much about the race that he built a custom gearbox for his tractor and had won the last 5 years. Talk about Shakespearean drama.

If only Slungblade were a woman dressed as a man and the man was a man dressed as a woman and there was some crazy love triangle which ends happily then everyone died - then it would be Shakespearean drama!

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

GabrielAisling posted:

How is an event where tractors intentionally go extremely slow not hilarious?

I know! I was grinning like a fiend the whole time!

Parachute posted:

You have no idea how happy it made me to see so many new posts and pictures (of awesome tractors no less) in this thread! Again, thanks for taking the time to document all of this, it's much appreciated.

You're most welcome, I'm glad you enjoy my ramblings.

Rapulum_Dei posted:

I'll not clog up the thread with it but if anyone wants to take a look here's some pictures http://www.jrv8.co.uk/gallery.php

Interested to see how the smelting goes. I bought the plans a while ago to build a foundry and have managed to source a supplier for refractory cement at a reasonable price so the only thing stopping me is my own lack of urgency.

That's pretty baller lookin man. Neat stuff, and tastefully done.

Costello Jello posted:

His gearbox wasn't custom, as far as I know. It was just absurdly slow. Still, thanks for the mental image.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Slung, I asked where you bought the magnetite and said it was the same place you got the clay, but I'm not sure you mentioned where you got the clay? What's the brand on the bag for it? Also, how much was it per bag? I found a ceramic store nearby asking $192 for a 50 pound bag of iron oxide and that sounds like bullshit to me.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

hayden. posted:

Slung, I asked where you bought the magnetite and said it was the same place you got the clay, but I'm not sure you mentioned where you got the clay? What's the brand on the bag for it? Also, how much was it per bag? I found a ceramic store nearby asking $192 for a 50 pound bag of iron oxide and that sounds like bullshit to me.

Oh, sorry hayden. I got everything at this place: http://www.ceramicscanada.net/

I bought 400 pounds of magnetite, 100 pounds of epk, and 50 pounds of ball clay. If I remember right, the total was around 400 bucks, but I don't remember the details on the cost of each.

Iron oxide you get from a ceramics place will be extremely finely ground and very pure, they use it for pigment and it's way too expensive for smelting work. This magnetite is meant for glaze jobs, and is correspondingly cheaper, since it's not supposed to be as pure and such.

Not sure of the brand, I'll check out the bags and post back later.

Edit: it's laguna clay products: http://www.lagunaclay.com/

Slung Blade fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Sep 8, 2013

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

First round of parts ordered. I bought a whole set of brake conversion kits from Summit, discs all around, and a new master cylinder.

But, in order to ship to Canada, Summit wanted an extra 400 bucks. UPS or whoever would probably charge an extra 2-300 on top of that as a bullshit 'brokerage' fee. gently caress. That.

Time for a road trip!

My sister and I hopped in my little hyundai and bombed on down to Sweetgrass Montana and the shipping outlet located there, shipping to this warehouse was free!

Had to get out and stretch in Lethbridge. They've got an awesome park down there.

Sis managed to capture a train going over the high level bridge as we were leaving town.

We also stopped at Head Smashed In Buffalo jump. Native people from this area used to drive buffalo over the cliffs to their doom. Incredibly clever way of harvesting a lot of meat all at once. Incredibly scenic too.

We avoided the interpretive walk though...

Nice sunset on the way back home.

Annnd, the reason we went down there: PARTS

Parts, like WHEELS

And sexy sexy brakes!

Por-15 products in stupid quantities.

Rear brakes.

The rest of the front brakes.

Even came with new wheel studs, that's convenient considering Canadian Tire stripped a bunch of the existing ones not realizing they're reverse threaded on one side of the car.

And a new, proper master cylinder and reservoir.

So, finally some progress.

Things to get in the short term:
-LSD suregrip insert for the diff, since I'm going to be taking the axles out to get the brakes on anyway, may as well do it when it's all apart. New bearings for the same reason.
-Axle seals and that crush sleeve thing Kastein talked about.
-Lugs for the new studs and wheels.
-Tires.
-Maybe some ball joints for the front?
-Probably an automotive hydraulic press or something.

e: Also, for anyone not following the blacksmith thread, I forged down that rock into a couple of small iron bits.

Not a lot of iron there, but it sure was fun making it.

Slung Blade fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Oct 8, 2013

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Awesome! Hopefully I'll be picking up some new brake hardware soon as well (but I won't be driving to Montana to get it). Do you have a thread going in AI for this?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I just mainlined this thread. Nice home! You have lots of room to play in; it's just a shame that the weather keeps slowing you down :v:

Thank you for sharing your adventures with us all.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
I find it very strange how you have so much trouble finding big chunks of hematite/magnetite, while I sit here in Northern Canada literally surrounded by 65%+ Fe lump ore and sinter fines (though shipping is killer). I hope you took precautions against manganosis!

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back
That funnel works really well for bleeding coolant. Learned about it from this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUpXgAJ1gjU

dwoloz fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Nov 2, 2013

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

dwoloz posted:

That funnel works really well for bleeding coolant. Learned about it from this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUpXgAJ1gjU

I insisted he get it when he was putting together a Summit order. Jamal from the AI Subaru thread turned me onto it as Subarus are a pain to bleed. Absolutely phenomenal tool for something so simple.

Lisle's trim puller tools are also great. I bought the pricey KTC Japanese tools but Lisle's trim clip pliers work just as well with only a slightly nastier finish and half the price.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Nov 2, 2013

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Decoy Badger posted:

I find it very strange how you have so much trouble finding big chunks of hematite/magnetite, while I sit here in Northern Canada literally surrounded by 65%+ Fe lump ore and sinter fines (though shipping is killer). I hope you took precautions against manganosis!

Holy poo poo I didn't even know that was a thing.

Uh, well hopefully there wasn't a lot of manganese in that magnetite. I know big smelters use manganese a lot, but I skipped adding any independent of whatever was in the ore already.

Thanks for warning me.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
Wow, this is an amazing thread, just got through all of it.

How is the car project going?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

SpannerX posted:

Wow, this is an amazing thread, just got through all of it.

How is the car project going?

Extremely slowly. I'm going to do the diff when I do the rear brakes, save myself from taking the axles apart twice. Just need to save up a little for the limited slip insert and actually find time to jack it up and pull an axle so I know how many splines it is. That will determine my options (there's a neat thing from Eaton I'd like to use but it's 33 spline only as far as I know).

I should do the front brakes though, just to say I've done something. Anything.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Hey, this thread hasn't been updated in awhile. What's going on at Slungland?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Hey, this thread hasn't been updated in awhile. What's going on at Slungland?

Metre deep snow drifts everywhere. Feral cats roaming the hamlet. Charlie up in the trees. :tinfoil:

Acquiring more boxes! So many loving boxes. I'm not going to have any room to work in my drat garage.

Also, LIFT

Trying to get in better shape. I used to lift all the time at my old job, not as regular as I'd like. With the home gym I've been pretty drat consistent since November though, so yay for that.

I have to do something, I'd freeze to death working outside right now.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Show us what you did with the contents of a box labeled "BALZAC MEATS."

Also, you cook, you're a homeowner, you're extremely handy, and you lift weights. Do you have to just like, constantly brush off all the women that stick to you like socks fresh from the dryer?

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere
Finding a girl you'd actually want to date in small towns surrounded by vast rural areas isn't so easy. I totally recommend moving to a big city for anyone who's unhitched.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Leperflesh posted:

Also, you cook, you're a homeowner, you're extremely handy, and you lift weights. Do you have to just like, constantly brush off all the women that stick to you like socks fresh from the dryer?

I'm fat.

I have literally never had the problems you describe. :smith:

Also the Balzac meats box was full of delicious beef jerky. And... I think one flank steak. Which, hey, if anyone is interested, makes a pretty good boxcutter when frozen, and a pretty nice chili when it's not.

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

Balzac: one of the top-5 funniest-named towns in Alberta.

Costello Jello posted:

Finding a girl you'd actually want to date in small towns surrounded by vast rural areas isn't so easy. I totally recommend moving to a big city for anyone who's unhitched.
Slung's place is really not that far outside a city of a million plus people. Probably a 15-minute drive to the city limits (e: this is a guess, I have never been to his place, I just lived pretty close by). It's not as easy as being 20 and living in the student slums around a major university, but he's not quite in the middle of nowhere.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006
Nap Ghost

Slung Blade posted:

Also the Balzac meats box was full of delicious beef jerky. And... I think one flank steak. Which, hey, if anyone is interested, makes a pretty good boxcutter when frozen, and a pretty nice chili when it's not.
Aww, I thought it was this toy and overjoyed that someone else had one (and had meat in there too for some reason, I dunno)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F38WmjxnvMk

(warning, 90's as all hell)

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Slung Blade posted:

I'm fat.

I have literally never had the problems you describe. :smith:

Hey, don't be down on yourself! I married a fat guy. He cooks, cleans, and is somewhat handy (but not as handy as you). We're fixing up a house together. Anyway, if he can find a lady so can you!

Can't wait to see updates from your little homestead this year!

Reverend Zero
Mar 8, 2006

married fat dude chiming in. my daily wardrobe usually falls into the range of "fat unabomber" - you too can find the right one! :unsmith:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Marriage proposal still stands. :colbert:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Wandering Knitter posted:

Marriage proposal still stands. :colbert:

I keep telling you lady. come to Canada.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

I would find a way to attend that wedding, but the favors would have to be little knit get out frogs and handmade iron nails.:colbert:

In all seriousness, you need goats. A weather and a few nanny goats will make your life so interesting. They provide landscaping, entertainment and help to improve puzzle-solving abilities by escaping their enclosure and daring you to figure out how.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

GabrielAisling posted:

I would find a way to attend that wedding, but the favors would have to be little knit get out frogs and handmade iron nails.:colbert:

In all seriousness, you need goats. A weather and a few nanny goats will make your life so interesting. They provide landscaping, entertainment and help to improve puzzle-solving abilities by escaping their enclosure and daring you to figure out how.

From what I remember of his plot, it may not be big enough to really support goats. Chickens, on the other hand...

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

From what I remember of his plot, it may not be big enough to really support goats. Chickens, on the other hand...

That's what hay is for. :byodame: Chickens do provide many of the same benefits. Well, all of the same benefits, plus you don't have to trim hooves.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
I too recommend mini feathered velociraptors. I don't know much a box of allegedly free range eggs are where you come from but my hens cost $3 each and produce one each a day 9 months of a year. And that's without conning them with a light to get them to lay through the winter.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011
Pretty stupid suggestions. The only farm that'll actually work on Slung Blades plot is obviously an ostrich farm.

Contrary to what people think, they can absolutely survive a harsh Canadian winter.

I once had a boxing match with one of those bastards that stole my gloves. She actually looked a lot like this vicious critter

I didn't win the fight and consider myself lucky to be alive today.

An ostrich would pretty much rape a velociraptor even on a bad feather-day.

Every ostrich is determined to ruin your day, and that's just what they'll do. Even sharks haven't got the self-esteem of an ostrich.

Vote ostrich:1

Sir Cornelius fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Mar 2, 2014

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Bonus: Ostriches can be ridden.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

Rotten Cookies posted:

Bonus: Ostriches can be ridden.

Unnecessary. If the plot's not big enough for goats, there's no need to raise ill-tempered chocobos. Chickens are small, entertaining and tasty.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

What about Emu? Same attitude as an ostrich but with about 2/3 of the size.

You could always get a Cassowary?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YA58sS3x2Oo

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Ferremit posted:

What about Emu? Same attitude as an ostrich but with about 2/3 of the size.

You could always get a Cassowary?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YA58sS3x2Oo

"Hey Frank! Check out this Cassowary I just picked up. They're really easy to take care of and aharghhhhh!" <Cassowary disembowels Slung Blade>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006
But imagine the Thanksgiving dinner you could have with an Ostrich instead of Turkey. You could feed 50.