Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haakman
May 5, 2011
The whole movie annoyed me with its pretentiousness. I also can't get over Ryan Gosling's face - it looks like it has a permanent grin on it.

The film, in a nutshell:

silence.
HERO HERO REAL HERO SYNTH WHAMMY.
violence.
end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skull guy
Nov 22, 2007

by T. Finninho
Looked at objectively, Drive is a real good movie and people who don't like it are big ol' baby idiots.

skull guy has a new favorite as of 16:37 on Nov 1, 2013

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

MINE EYES CAN BUT WEEP AS THEY BEAR WITNESS TO THE MAJESTY... THE BFG 9000!
Post Your Favorite (or Request) > The Irrationally Irritating Drive Moments Thread

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I thought Drive was really neat and interesting.

Just talk about 'Only God Forgives', same director and lead actor but no one will try to defend it.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Reginald Bathwater posted:

Post Your Favorite (or Request) > The Irrationally Irritating Drive Moments Thread

Let's not get crazy, that giant robot movie was way loving worse

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

TheChaosPath posted:

I agree Transformers is loving terrible.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

TheChaosPath posted:

If you are talking about what I think you are we are going to be having a lot of words that are four letters long.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
Drive takes quite a bit from Taxi Driver and a little from Scorpio Rising, it would be interesting to see if someone who doesn't get Drive also would not get those other films.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think people would "get" Drive more if it was like a Swedish language film. Instead it's in LA with pretty actors so you expect something different, especially with the misleading trailer.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

LeafyOrb posted:

I agree Transformers is loving terrible.
I didn't get why Qatar was depicted as being a dirt poor, mountainous desert where people wear Palestinian headgear despite the fact that Qatar is actually a tiny, super rich, Gulf State. Its not like all middle eastern countries are the same.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Celery Face posted:

Its not like all middle eastern countries are the same.

:siren: Woah, communist detected. :siren: :911:

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Razorwired posted:

I've never seen Drive but it sounds like this is a case of nerds that read Watchmen and think that they're supposed to identify with Rorschach.

Uhh sort of, I'd say, you could make a case that Drive is about movies the way Watchmen is about comic books, but in both cases there is a degree of remove from real people. It's important that Rorschach and, uh, Driver(?) are conflicted images of masculinity or heroism, and not in any way realistic fleshed-out dudes. Psychoanalyzing them is pointless, you're gonna hit a dead-end of heroic cliches (hey there's a scene in Watchmen that both confirms and undermines that) because that is the level on which they operate.

Maybe if you watch enough action movies or read enough superhero comics (or play enough video games I mean jeez) you're already conditioned to identify with the guy whom the camera follows from location to location while he kills people? I probably am. But basically I think these 2 characters embody feelings that everyone can identify with but no one can really justify, so declaring you are Against It and they are Wrong isn't any more insightful than thinking that they are super badass.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

I think people would "get" Drive more if it was like a Swedish language film. Instead it's in LA with pretty actors so you expect something different, especially with the misleading trailer.

This pretty much. I don't like the "you just don't get it" argument. I think people were expecting a film like Hotline Miami and that's what lead to them having low opinions of the film. Though I am sure just as many people knew what type of film it would be and still didn't like it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Quad posted:

Drive takes quite a bit from Taxi Driver and a little from Scorpio Rising, it would be interesting to see if someone who doesn't get Drive also would not get those other films.

"Drive is highly derivative of a much superior, original film. It would be interesting to see if someone who thinks the hollow imitation of this classic movie is poo poo would also think the classic movie is poo poo". That's your line of thought there. It's like defending Asylum mockbusters by saying "But you must like them, you liked the movies they're based on".

Well, no. I saw Taxi Driver long ago, and there's just no comparison to be made. Travis Bickle is a character with layers. The Driver isn't even a character at all. The only reason you're getting all this "oh, he thinks he's a good guy really" or "he's showing what action heroes would be like in real life" stuff is because it's easy to write whatever you want on a blank page.

The Duke of Ben
Jul 12, 2005
Listen, if you're not going to tell me how the entire world economic, political, and social order can be completely replaced in every detail, then I think maybe you should consider that this is the best of all possible worlds.

Check and mate.

EmmyOk posted:

This pretty much. I don't like the "you just don't get it" argument. I think people were expecting a film like Hotline Miami and that's what lead to them having low opinions of the film. Though I am sure just as many people knew what type of film it would be and still didn't like it.

I went into the movie thinking it was a cool action flick, and while watching it (the early part) I had a low opinion of the film. The Driver was an awkward character that failed to live up to cool-action-lead requirements. Then I realized that the movie was different than I expected, and I found myself enjoying it much more. When I realized that I wasn't really supposed to be rooting for Driver, it became a different experience that was certainly enjoyable, if only for the way that it stressed and distorted the way that hero movies relate the story of someone doing pretty much what Driver was doing. His actions are absolutely something you would see in any number of action movies, but his demeanor is all different and the way people handle situations is closer to reality. It's jarring in a lot of ways, not the least of which is how ugly violence and violent people really are.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Celery Face posted:

I didn't get why Qatar was depicted as being a dirt poor, mountainous desert where people wear Palestinian headgear despite the fact that Qatar is actually a tiny, super rich, Gulf State. Its not like all middle eastern countries are the same.

Transformers is a propaganda film. Extremely obvious inconsistencies with reality are its modus operandi.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Slim Killington posted:

:siren: Woah, communist detected. :siren: :911:

Uh, I'm pretty sure you mean, "terrorist."

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010

kizudarake posted:

I wasn't asking for one-liners. I'm just asking for a slight bit of realism, and that was destroyed by the blonde chick still wanting to gently caress him, despite him staring her down like he's eyefucking her, yet not seeming like a Real Human Being at all. Also, I can't wait to see your tumblr SJW post about your
:ice burn:. You can be autistic and not a creeper.

I think your projecting some personal issues towards the movie there buddy.

The guy is meant to be awkward. I hate to be the one to tell you this bit just being awkward and odd doesn't automatically mean someone won't be found attractive (especially if they look like Ryan Gosling)

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I watched Drive expecting a Nicolas Winding Refn movie and I wasn't disappointed.

Ever since (I think) Cracked pointed it out, I get annoyed any time guns click and clack unnecessarily in movies. Aiming a gun doesn't make a sound, you jerks!

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I watched Drive expecting a Nicolas Winding Refn movie and I wasn't disappointed.

Ever since (I think) Cracked pointed it out, I get annoyed any time guns click and clack unnecessarily in movies. Aiming a gun doesn't make a sound, you jerks!

Absolutely true but those sounds are there because the movie actually sounds worse without them. Seriously, it's weird. Some sound designers put together a production vignette to show off why they do it and it really is better to have nonsense noises like that. Maybe I can find it and post it.

Content: watched Groundhog Day today and Harold Raimis really phones his bit in, almost on purpose. Wasn't necessary at all.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Also when someone points a gun at someone and is threatening them, THEN they cock the hammer to show they're serious. Not necessarily a dealbreaker with modern semi-automatic, but it's ludicrous when someone does that with an old single-action revolver.

See also: pumping the shotgun.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
I was reminded of a terrible moment from Batman Begins last night when it was on TV.

So the train carrying the microwave emitter is barreling towards Wayne Tower where it will blow up the water mains and unleash the psycho toxin on the city. We know this because balding chubby guy in the water control room keeps reminding us every 5 minutes.

It's bad enough Nolan over-edited the scene to keep jumping back to the inside of Wayne Tower, but then to get that guy to read over specific dialogue and read it incredibly badly is painful. Not only that, but he keeps saying "We need to get out of here!" Three frigin times and every time we cut back the two guys are STILL SITTING THERE badly reading lovely dialogue.

It's so out of place in an otherwise great movie. Drives me insane.

Pook Good Mook has a new favorite as of 19:10 on Nov 8, 2013

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Pook Good Mook posted:

I was reminded of a terrible moment from Batman Begins last night when it was on TV.

So the train carrying the microwave emitter is barreling towards Wayne Tower where it will blow up the water mains and unleash the psycho toxin on the city. We know this because balding chubby guy in the water control room keeps reminding us every 5 minutes.

It's bad enough Nolan over-edited the scene to keep jumping back to the inside of Wayne Tower, but then to get that guy to read over specific dialogue and read up incredibly badly is painful. Not only that, but he keeps saying "We need to get out of here!" Three frigin times and every time we cut back the two guys are STILL SITTING THERE badly reading lovely dialogue.

It's so out of place in an otherwise great movie. Drives me insane.

Co-Written by David S Goyer.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I could never get over the super powerful microwave emitter that boils all water in pipes under the ground but somehow leaves pedestrians standing.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Gorilla Salad posted:

I could never get over the super powerful microwave emitter that boils all water in pipes under the ground but somehow leaves pedestrians standing.

Oh ya me too. But I was willing to wave that away with comic book technology magic.

That balding guy in the tower is just bad acting/editing/writing.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Gorilla Salad posted:

Maybe the emitter is directional?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

That guy and the cop in the wagon transporting Dent in TDK are so bad I don't know how they made it into the film.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

oldpainless posted:

That guy and the cop in the wagon transporting Dent in TDK are so bad I don't know how they made it into the film.

Oh my God that's the same exact thing! They represent literally the same problems as the bald guy in the tower. I didn't even think about that poo poo. God it's bad.

It's really jarring to see juvenile amateur poo poo make it into otherwise great movies. We should have a board for the worst parts of otherwise amazing films.

See also: Anything with Arwen in LOTR.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Pook Good Mook posted:

Do you think Liv Tyler is going to reprise her role when they make another Hulk film?

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

Pook Good Mook posted:

Oh my God that's the same exact thing!

I understand the dude in the water control room, but what is it with the cop again? Been a while since I saw the second movie.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Pook Good Mook posted:

Oh my God that's the same exact thing! They represent literally the same problems as the bald guy in the tower. I didn't even think about that poo poo. God it's bad.

It's really jarring to see juvenile amateur poo poo make it into otherwise great movies. We should have a board for the worst parts of otherwise amazing films.

I think I read somewhere that Christopher Nolan puts bits like that in his films because he finds them really amusing, in a bad action film sort of way. Doing it on purpose doesn't make it any less rubbish though.

I was about to join in on your Arwen hate, until I realised I was getting her confused with Eowyn. I realise (or at least, I've been told repeatedly and at great length) that way back when the books were written "No man can hurt me!"/"But I am no man!" might've been a genuinely clever twist, but when I saw it at the cinema, I immediately thought of Billy from Predator and I laughed until I choked.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Captain_Indigo posted:

I understand the dude in the water control room, but what is it with the cop again? Been a while since I saw the second movie.

"Oh that's not good."

"OK, that's NOT good!"

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Slim Killington posted:

Content: watched Groundhog Day today and Harold Raimis really phones his bit in, almost on purpose. Wasn't necessary at all.

The bit where he wrote it, or where he directed it?

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Silly Newbie posted:

The bit where he wrote it, or where he directed it?

He plays a bit part as the doctor who reviews Phil's x-rays.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Also when someone points a gun at someone and is threatening them, THEN they cock the hammer to show they're serious. Not necessarily a dealbreaker with modern semi-automatic, but it's ludicrous when someone does that with an old single-action revolver.

That's when it makes sense. With an old single-action revolver, if you don't cock the hammer you can't fire the gun.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

Phanatic posted:

That's when it makes sense. With an old single-action revolver, if you don't cock the hammer you can't fire the gun.

But they don't cock it until they're serious so up until that point they are threatening someone with a gun that does nothing.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Dr. Clockwork posted:

See also: pumping the shotgun.

How about both?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBSi8qC0tFA

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Dr. Clockwork posted:

But they don't cock it until they're serious so up until that point they are threatening someone with a gun that does nothing.

Having it cocked before the threatening would on occasion lead to "I just shot Marvin in the face!" moments, which if you want to threaten/interrogate the dude you're aiming at, you don't want.

I'm trying to apply logic to movies :psyduck: The hell is wrong with me.

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading
Kind of esoteric, but the Trailer Park Boys movie Countdown to Liquor Day was rather frustrating to me. It did an absolutely superb job of building up tension while still being funny and appropriately sentimental. The majority of the movie is great and filled with hilarious moments, and the characters are handled really well. Even the score is well managed. But it pretty much falls apart in the last 15 minutes or so with a long rear end stretch that is neither funny nor fitting. It did such a great job setting up for a grand finale, and it fuckin sucked to see it just kind of peter out anticlimactically.

Also didn't really feature Ricky's family. Don't think the new baby from the end of the series was even referenced. gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Having it cocked before the threatening would on occasion lead to "I just shot Marvin in the face!" moments, which if you want to threaten/interrogate the dude you're aiming at, you don't want.

I'm trying to apply logic to movies :psyduck: The hell is wrong with me.

In a single action, until the gun is cocked the weapon is "safe." You can't really threaten someone with it because the gun can not in fact fire from that position. If you point an uncocked single action to someone who knows that you're asking to get bumrushed while you fumble to cock and then fire the weapon.

That said many double-action firearms have a feature where you can hand-cock it before firing which reduces the amount of weight you have to apply to pull the trigger. In this case it absolutely is a meaningful change because you've just told the person you're pointing the gun at "I am now even more intending to shoot you and am currently making it easier for me to kill you" no different than say, pressing the knife against someone in a medieval movie.

I have no complaints with it in film even when the weapon shown is incapable of the feature because it acts as an "I'm elevating the tension in this scenario" shorthand.

• Locked thread