Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

That's awful. :( It makes me wanna do a bore kit myself (just have a clean table, take pictures, and keep your bolts labeled)

WHY DOES CRAIGSLIST HAVE PITBULL STANDS FOR $10 CHEAPER THAN REVZILLA even if I talk these retards down I'm still breaking even with the cost in gas to take my car there

gently caress SoCal so hard oh my god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Xovaan posted:

It makes me wanna do a bore kit myself

This is my winter project. I'm taking my heads in to have them ported, but the assembly/disassembly and high-dollar parts install is all me.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

gently caress yeah. You better post pics!

My friend, who has never been on a motorcycle and isn't really exposed to automotive stuff in general, was in the car with me and inquired about Harleys.

"So the way I see it, these people-- the same people who can barely drive on California roads-- go out and buy motorcycles that barely run and sound like poo poo, puttering around sub-optimal speeds in boat shoes and leather jackets because they think other people envy it?"

"Yeah, basically"

"drat. Harley Davidson is the real life equivalent of 'pay-to-win'."

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Xovaan posted:

gently caress yeah. You better post pics!

My friend, who has never been on a motorcycle and isn't really exposed to automotive stuff in general, was in the car with me and inquired about Harleys.

"So the way I see it, these people-- the same people who can barely drive on California roads-- go out and buy motorcycles that barely run and sound like poo poo, puttering around sub-optimal speeds in boat shoes and leather jackets because they think other people envy it?"

"Yeah, basically"

"drat. Harley Davidson is the real life equivalent of 'pay-to-win'."

You should see their sales manual.

Yesterday, I had a delightful encounter with a raging BMW X5 driver. I live in one of the richest counties in the country so BMW's far are more common than domestic sedans and some of them are some of the most obnoxiously aggressive drivers around. loving ultra-aggressive luxury SUV drivers suck large horse cock. That's why, in the back of my mind, I'll always be suspicious that Lien of Range Rover fame tried the usual angry luxury SUV driver thing.

It doesn't help that my town (heck half of Connecticut) has some of the shortest yellow lights I've ever seen. Nothing encourages aggressive red-light running like a 1.5 second yellow.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

MoraleHazard posted:

It doesn't help that my town (heck half of Connecticut) has some of the shortest yellow lights I've ever seen. Nothing encourages aggressive red-light running like a 1.5 second yellow.

I seem to recall that the lights I saw in South Carolina switched immediately (as in, as soon as it was red one way the crossing road had a green). Here there is a couple of seconds delay between one way getting red and the other getting green, to prevent people from going before the intersection is clear (or getting torpedoed by someone running a last second red/yellow). The SC system made me nervous since it seemed like the risk of an accident went up massively for a very small gain.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Yeah, I can't keep track of how many times people have gunned it at the margin and that delay has helped keep me from being creamed.

...and how many times I've gone through a yellow knowing it would turn red while I'm in the intersection but it's okay because the other lights are still red

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
gently caress squirrels, gently caress gravel, gently caress my knee, gently caress not having time to clean out my garage. gently caress not having time to replace my VFR's reg/rec (literally takes 10 minutes).

gently caress.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

MoraleHazard posted:

That's why, in the back of my mind, I'll always be suspicious that Lien of Range Rover fame tried the usual angry luxury SUV driver thing.

Of course he loving did.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Backov posted:

Of course he loving did.

There is absolutely no proof whatsoever that he was driving like an aggressive tool with too much money and too big a vehicle.

However absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Dude totally did it.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Dear CL sellers. The fact that you added a lovely two brothers slip on, did a horrible job hacking off the rear fender, and added flush mount turn signals does not mean that you can charge $2500 over KBB for a motorcycle that's had "only 1 minor low side at about 50MPH."

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

There was frost on the Motorcycle today and tommorow its supposed to snow. :smith:

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

KodiakRS posted:

Dear CL sellers. The fact that you added a lovely two brothers slip on, did a horrible job hacking off the rear fender, and added flush mount turn signals does not mean that you can charge $2500 over KBB for a motorcycle that's had "only 1 minor low side at about 50MPH."

That's called needing to pay off the high-interest loan on the bike.

No frost here, just some rain and mild temperatures—hurrah I still haven't got a car for the snow and ice.

And, I hate people who think just because they were next in line to turn left they can go even though the turn signal turned red.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

ElMaligno posted:

There was frost on the Motorcycle today and tommorow its supposed to snow. :smith:

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Still doesn't save you from being run over by the :byodood: guy who thinks his 4wd truck makes him impervious to the effects of ice.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Favorite part of that pic is the trailer hitch. Dude went all the way with that bike.

tjones
May 13, 2005

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Favorite part of that pic is the trailer hitch. Dude went all the way with that bike.

That sprocket is nuts but I don't know any stuntaz so maybe that isn't as crazy as I think it would be. You could probably launch that bike in third gear by just easing out the clutch lever without any throttle input.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

tjones posted:

That sprocket is nuts but I don't know any stuntaz so maybe that isn't as crazy as I think it would be. You could probably launch that bike in third gear by just easing out the clutch lever without any throttle input.

Not a problem, the trailer hitch doubles as a wheelie bar.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

rokon on steroids comes to mind

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

The trailer's pretty huge too.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Wish I lived in a place with only powder. I'd throw badass knobby tires on and ride all winter. drat ice fucks up everything.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Verr posted:

Wish I lived in a place with only powder. I'd throw badass knobby tires on and ride all winter. drat ice fucks up everything.

Run studs.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

I really hate when somebody asks about my bike, asks me how fast it goes, all that stuff and then follows up with "Aw, man, I know what it's like, I've got a 350z, thing's fast man." No. No it's not. And no you don't. You're in the bubble of a vehicle designed to protect you from everything: wind, other vehicles, weather cold or hot, wet or baking. Your vehicle doesn't fall on top of you if you lean too far. It doesn't rear up on you if you give it too much throttle. gently caress you you have no loving idea what it's like to ride a fast motorcycle. Or even a slow one. And you don't want to, you soft little pussy. Otherwise you wouldn't say dumb poo poo things like "Oh, man, I could never ride a bike, I'd just go way too fast all the time", the insinuation being you're just way too much of a wild man to own one. Again, no you're not. You can't be the person so prone to risky behaviors that they avoid them all. That person doesn't exist, you're just risk adverse, afraid of your own blood, your own mortality.

Explaining that just makes me a douche though, so I have to eat my words and just nod my head to their stupid bullshit.

And besides, lame guy who just started at my old job, your concept of what a person can do on a bike is so limited all you can think about is going fast on the highway anyway. That's loving EASY son. This always happens with the bullshit excuses too. I don't loving care! I don't try to sell anyone on getting a bike unless they express interest on getting one. I understand they're not for everybody. So why can't a person just say "Yeah, those scare me. You're crazy." That's a nice ego boost they just haaaaave to take away with their "too macho to try" bullshit.

In sum, you have not impressed me, guy who replaced me at my old job and creepily has my first name and initials. Not at all.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

"Oh, man, I could never ride a bike, I'd just go way too fast all the time", the insinuation being you're just way too much of a wild man to own one.

I absolutely hate this. One of my colleagues is a an otherwise cool kinda guy. He goes hunting, practices karate at a reasonable level for someone nearing 50, outdoorsy type.

But talking about bikes, it's all "yeah, I'd never get a bike, I'd just end up killing myself". No, that's not the reason, it's probably your wife who won't let you get one, just admit it.

My cousin is the exact same way, and I KNOW it's his girlfriend who's stopping him. But she's the best thing that's ever happened to him, so eh.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

his girlfriend who's stopping him.

KozmoNaut posted:

But she's the best thing that's ever happened to him
You can insert a "does not compute" joke here.

Mister Duck
Oct 10, 2006
Fuck the goose
Before I knew anything about riding I thought the whole "I'd go way too fast and die" thing as well. I had a misconception that hitting a bump or something at any sort of higher speed would like instantly kill you. I feel like a lot of people, like me, have an idea that a bike in a straight line is incredibly unstable. I didn't wise up about that until I started reading a whole bunch of books about riding and the physics of it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

People who don't ride have zero understanding of how riding works and at best equate it to riding a heavy bicycle at highway speeds.

Much like people who don't fly helicopters tend to believe that they are incredibly unsafe and always about to fall out of the sky at the slightest provocation.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

I really hate when somebody asks about my bike, asks me how fast it goes, all that stuff and then follows up with "Aw, man, I know what it's like, I've got a 350z, thing's fast man." No. No it's not. And no you don't. You're in the bubble of a vehicle designed to protect you from everything: wind, other vehicles, weather cold or hot, wet or baking. Your vehicle doesn't fall on top of you if you lean too far. It doesn't rear up on you if you give it too much throttle. gently caress you you have no loving idea what it's like to ride a fast motorcycle. Or even a slow one. And you don't want to, you soft little pussy. Otherwise you wouldn't say dumb poo poo things like "Oh, man, I could never ride a bike, I'd just go way too fast all the time", the insinuation being you're just way too much of a wild man to own one. Again, no you're not. You can't be the person so prone to risky behaviors that they avoid them all. That person doesn't exist, you're just risk adverse, afraid of your own blood, your own mortality.

Explaining that just makes me a douche though, so I have to eat my words and just nod my head to their stupid bullshit.

And besides, lame guy who just started at my old job, your concept of what a person can do on a bike is so limited all you can think about is going fast on the highway anyway. That's loving EASY son. This always happens with the bullshit excuses too. I don't loving care! I don't try to sell anyone on getting a bike unless they express interest on getting one. I understand they're not for everybody. So why can't a person just say "Yeah, those scare me. You're crazy." That's a nice ego boost they just haaaaave to take away with their "too macho to try" bullshit.

In sum, you have not impressed me, guy who replaced me at my old job and creepily has my first name and initials. Not at all.

Dude
You are a total badass.

tjones
May 13, 2005
EDIT: Nevermind this, rant on.

tjones fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Nov 2, 2013

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Much like people who don't fly helicopters tend to believe that they are incredibly unsafe and always about to fall out of the sky at the slightest provocation.

This is true.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

People who don't ride have zero understanding of how riding works and at best equate it to riding a heavy bicycle at highway speeds.

Helicopters defy the laws of everything and are an unnatural blight upon the world of aviation!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

tjones posted:

You seem upset and that read very dramatically.

well duh, this is the ranting thread after all, not the level headed carefully considered both sides of an argument thread.

tjones
May 13, 2005

Linedance posted:

well duh, this is the ranting thread after all, not the level headed carefully considered both sides of an argument thread.

Point taken. I just thought it was silly even for a rant. I'll shut up now.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
In my own experience, people can't drive, people in SUVs really can't drive, and people in luxury SUVs really can't loving drive. When I see an X5, I know to leave a wide margin especially now that I work right in the financial district.

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

xaarman posted:

This is true.

To get a rotary wing license you have to fly it for a while with the engine turned off! You dont die.

tjones
May 13, 2005

tranten posted:

To get a rotary wing license you have to fly it for a while with the engine turned off! You dont die.

Auto-rotation? If so isn't that more of a gently plummeting to Earth?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

tjones posted:

Auto-rotation? If so isn't that more of a gently plummeting to Earth?

Descending at the speed of a leaf :)

This. I don't care what people say, he is 100% correct.

gently caress you and your 'oh I'd just lose my license!' No, you wouldn't. And no, your brother's supra is not actually mean fast. I don't care if it has 600 horsepower (it doesn't). And 200km/h down the motorway like it ain't no thing isn't dangerous or daredevilish or anything of that nature. People who know how fast bikes actually are don't say that they'll never ride one, they just straight up say 'not for me'.

The wholesaler next door to my work is a really cool middle aged guy, he has a championship-winning silvia race (NOT drift) car. When I got my ninja he walked up, complimented me on how cheap it was, then asked what cc.

"Thousand"
"Hahahahaha hohohohohoho! No. No. NO! No. Not for me! *walks away*"

He knows what's up.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Every time someone asks me how fast my bike is, I just answer "fast enough :c00l:". Dumb question gets a dumb answer, and no one's ever called me out on it.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Deeters posted:

Every time someone asks me how fast my bike is, I just answer "fast enough :c00l:". Dumb question gets a dumb answer, and no one's ever called me out on it.

"I've buried the speedo a couple times. 170 is fast. You're stupid if you think it's not." "But how FAST DOES IT GO!?!" Ok guy, I get it. You don't think 170 is fast. You have never in your life been driving at one hundred seventy miles per hour. Your car probably fuel-cuts at 112 or 122. This is fifty percent faster. You're going two-thirds of my "end of the speedo, but I've got another 3k RPM to go" speed. You think you're going fast when your fuel cuts out, but I can just keep pulling in 4th at that speed.

Bikes are STUPID FAST. Ridiculously overpowered. You know what has this kind of power-to-weight ratio? Ferraris. Bugattis. Konigseggs. I paid less for this than your wheels (without tires), and it will blow those off of whatever you have, unless you KNOW that 170 is fast. If you scoff at 170, then I know I can smoke you in any gear at any speed.

People say stuff like "why didn't you get a 'busa? It's faster!" I know how fast is too fast. I'm one of those guys who used to say "oh, I'll go too fast and lose my licence." Well, I went too fast, and I lost my licence. Then I waited for the points to drop off and got another bike. Bigger, faster, and stealthier. I've got a carbed bike with big jets, big intake, open exhaust, and no rev limiter. It may be able to talk harshly to a stock Hayabusa, if not actually beat it. But the race will be decided at far beyond any speed that an '02 Civic with underbody neons can typically achieve.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Use relative velocities. "Imagine you were doing 85 and I passed you doing 85 more than that."

I'm not in any way trying to sound badass saying this, but I ride too fast, I know I ride too fast, but I'm extremely risk averse in the rest of my lifestyle so I don't mind a single exception. That being said, I don't think I've been over 130 on any of my bikes. The right answer to 'how fast does it go' is 'faster than me', at least on the street.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The best part of owning a supermoto is when people ask how fast it is, you can say "it's not" and then just get on to talking about bikes sans all the dickwaving.