Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Astro7x posted:

You cannot deny that they have a pretty big market share though.

It's crazy to think that Nintendo is selling 50% of all consoles sold, yet losing money... I know that's only a small piece of the puzzle here, but it's just so weird.

They aren't losing money. Their profits are down (and quite a bit off of projections). There is a difference between those two things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

They aren't losing money. Their profits are down (and quite a bit off of projections). There is a difference between those two things.

They are losing money. Foreign exchange shenanigans are the only reason they've posted any net profits in the last couple of years.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Crowbear posted:

They are losing money. Foreign exchange shenanigans are the only reason they've posted any net profits in the last couple of years.

If they are posting net profits, they are not losing money. It doesn't matter if you think the way they got that money "counts" or not. I'm also not sure why you said "in the last couple of years" since this time last year they were taking a (significant) loss on foreign exchange income. (http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2013/131030e.pdf page 5)

Their loss on on operating income was also down YoY for Q1 and Q2.

We'll see what happens, and I'm sure the investors aren't happy, but they aren't losing money.

Edit: Looking at it last year, cumulative, it looks like they did better than FY12. Also, why the gently caress does Nintendo put a dozen pages of loving pictures at the start of their damned financial reports?

Mr.Unique-Name fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Oct 31, 2013

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Crowbear posted:

Er, no, due to the way their supply chain works and the currencies involved if anything recent changes in the Yen have driven profits down further rather than help raise them.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Install Windows posted:

Er, no, due to the way their supply chain works and the currencies involved if anything recent changes in the Yen have driven profits down further rather than help raise them.

That's not what he's arguing.

"Losing money" by most people's definition means "I spent more money than I took in." (e.g. Spent $1000, took in $900, meaning a $100 loss)

"Profits down" by most people's definition means "I took in more money than I spent, but my net profit wasn't as high as I wanted it to be." (e.g. Spent $1000, took in $1100, meaning a $100 gain, but I really wanted a $1000 gain).

It's definitely true that being "profitable but not nearly as profitable as my shareholders expect me to be" is still bad news, though.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Well net profit for the fiscal year is really what's important. Didn't EA lose like 300 Million this past quarter mainly because they dumped a ton of money into advertising games that are coming out during the holidays?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
http://mynintendonews.com/2013/10/3..._medium=twitter

Could explain this to me? I thought they where still making a profit.

http://mynintendonews.com/2013/11/0..._medium=twitter

This ones a bit odd, hopefully just an oversight.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Alteisen posted:

http://mynintendonews.com/2013/10/3..._medium=twitter

Could explain this to me? I thought they where still making a profit.

They aren't making much and market value is based on more than whether or not they're in the red.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Alteisen posted:

Oh dear, what did nintendo do now?

Advertising blunder? Game blunder? Or something all together?

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
I like how people are still trying to convince themselves that Nintendo might still bring Bayonetta out on other consoles. The comments section of that page is hilarious.

whaley fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Nov 4, 2013

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I heard the omission was just due to some regional ratings uncertainty, nothing to do with the game's actual release whatsoever.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Supercar Gautier posted:

I heard the omission was just due to some regional ratings uncertainty, nothing to do with the game's actual release whatsoever.

That would make sense actually. When I was at the MCM Expo, they asked for ID and told kids waiting in line that they weren't legally allowed to even watch people playing the game, let alone play it themselves.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Literally the only 3 things that would get me to buy a wii U are Megaman Legends 3, Mother 4 and Chrono Break, and none of them are going to ever happen.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The US is getting the Wii Mini. It's going to be a massive black eye for Nintendo if it outsells the Wii U this season.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
I had no idea Wii Mini was not out in the U.S. It's been out in Canada for like a year. Weird, considering we're in the same region.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

It'll probably end up in the 80$ price range which means killing the Wii U. This is of course assuming you follow the age old pricing scheme of 1 = $1.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

A Wii that can't do anything online? It's Nintendo's most honest console in a long time.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Boiled Water posted:

It'll probably end up in the 80$ price range which means killing the Wii U. This is of course assuming you follow the age old pricing scheme of 1 = $1.

$99

univbee posted:

A Wii that can't do anything online? It's Nintendo's most honest console in a long time.

Ironically it comes bundled with Mario Kart, one of the small handful of Nintendo games with online :shepface:

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
And god, does that game need it with the horrific rubber-banding on the AI.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Crowbear posted:

$99

Ironically it comes bundled with Mario Kart, one of the small handful of Nintendo games with online :shepface:

What the gently caress. Really? And don't you need the online feature to unlock some of the karts in a reasonable time frame?

It's still gonna end up beating the WiiU in sales this holiday season, considering the full-price Wii had been doing that for quite a while anyway.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
That's not that bad a deal, really. Mario Kart Wii by itself is still like, $40. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a dumb move on Nintendo's part, but $99 for Mario Kart and a system with no online that plays a handful of other good games like Zelda and Mario Galaxy isn't a bad deal.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

petrol blue posted:

And god, does that game need it with the horrific rubber-banding on the AI.

Wasn't Mario Kart Wii the one that had a ton of people playing hacked online play where they could just generate stars whenever they wanted?

netBuff
Nov 7, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Zack_Gochuck posted:

That's not that bad a deal, really. Mario Kart Wii by itself is still like, $40. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a dumb move on Nintendo's part, but $99 for Mario Kart and a system with no online that plays a handful of other good games like Zelda and Mario Galaxy isn't a bad deal.

Considering the Wii Mini doesn't even support Component video, just horrible Composite, this really is a terrible choice for anyone. It's going to have even worse image quality than the regular Wii due to the lack of decent connection options.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Not to mention that it can't play Gamecube games (well, it can, but it has nowhere for the controller to plug into and they might have taken out the disk-reading functionality. Anyone who knows anything about gaming would be much wiser just buying a used Wii for the same price (or less.) The only good thing about the Mini is that as a version that only came out in a small territory (Canada) at the end of the system's life it had the potential to be a neat and rare item for collectors in twenty years or so. But now that's down the drain too.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Nov 5, 2013

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

My brother just found a new xbox 360 4gb for $89 at Target, in Canada where things are generally more expensive.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

leidend posted:

My brother just found a new xbox 360 4gb for $89 at Target, in Canada where things are generally more expensive.

What the heck is the point of buying a 4GB 360 when it can't even run some of the newer games with bigger install requirements?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Astro7x posted:

What the heck is the point of buying a 4GB 360 when it can't even run some of the newer games with bigger install requirements?

A 16GB USB stick costs next to nothing nowadays and theres probably a bunch of 20GB HDDs floating around the place for cheap too.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Aren't those really cheap X360s sold on a subscription basis that forces you to sign up for x years of Xbox Live or something? Maybe I'm misremembering, I don't know.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Aren't those really cheap X360s sold on a subscription basis that forces you to sign up for x years of Xbox Live or something? Maybe I'm misremembering, I don't know.

No, that was an idea people had for what the X-Box One might do but it was only a rumor.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

ImpAtom posted:

No, that was an idea people had for what the X-Box One might do but it was only a rumor.

No, it happened for the 360 (but I don't think it was that widespread).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

No, it happened for the 360 (but I don't think it was that widespread).

Huh, I'll be damned.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

SwissCM posted:

A 16GB USB stick costs next to nothing nowadays and theres probably a bunch of 20GB HDDs floating around the place for cheap too.

Uh... that's still an additional cost. People seem to forget all that poo poo costs money when factoring it into the cost of a console.

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

I'm fine. Why do you ask?
Wow, I didn't even know about the 2DS or the Wii Mini until today, both of which sound really stupid. A handheld console with a totally unprotected screen, and a functionally-crippled new version of a system that's at the end of its lifespan. Would 3 separately bad consoles all together add up to the single failure of the Virtual Boy?

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Considering the 2DS is currently the best selling console in the UK, after they put it down to a 99 price point and had the surge of half term...

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Fnoigy posted:

Wow, I didn't even know about the 2DS or the Wii Mini until today, both of which sound really stupid. A handheld console with a totally unprotected screen, and a functionally-crippled new version of a system that's at the end of its lifespan. Would 3 separately bad consoles all together add up to the single failure of the Virtual Boy?

The 2DS is hella cheap which pretty much makes up for all its other deficiencies. Being released at the same time as Pokemon doesn't hurt either. I think it's real ugly and I definitely wouldn't want one myself, but it'll sell fine.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
The wii mini has lower resolution than the ps2 did, good job nintendo.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

I'll be honest, if they make a 2DS XL ill probably buy one.

Or maybe not since I already have a 3DS XL and just never turn 3d on.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jeffrey posted:

The wii mini has lower resolution than the ps2 did, good job nintendo.

So does the Wii in general, because some PS2 games could put out 720p and even 1080i while all Wii games maxed at 480p.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Install Windows posted:

So does the Wii in general, because some PS2 games could put out 720p and even 1080i while all Wii games maxed at 480p.

There are no PS2 games that run in 720p. GT4 run in upscaled 1080i with SD textures but that was it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
There three PS2 games ever that supported 1080i, and none that supported 720p. Some did support 480p and widescreen though.

• Locked thread