Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
At work and can't watch the video but maybe commentate on what is going on in the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

VivaVizer posted:

At work and can't watch the video but maybe commentate on what is going on in the game?

Don't be ridiculous.

He asked my question at the beginning. It's a terrible video.

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
Actually is there any channel that read through like VN's as the gimmick but does it well?

Like a really long and perverted Reading Rainbow?

Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

I will devour your soul while you sleep...

IceAgeComing posted:

I won't go into more detail than that because this isn't D&D.

Oh poo poo. I just realised that D&D stands for "Debate and Discussion". Thought for the longest time that Dungeons and Dragons fans liked complaining about goddamn everything.

VivaVizer posted:

Actually is there any channel that read through like VN's as the gimmick but does it well?

One that's hilariously unfitting and mocking the source material? Because that could be one for the Experimental LP thread if we get the okay from Slowbeef first.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Mr DJB posted:

Oh poo poo. I just realised that D&D stands for "Debate and Discussion". Thought for the longest time that Dungeons and Dragons fans liked complaining about goddamn everything.

While it doesn't stand for Dungeons and Dragons in this context, your first thought was still correct.

manyleeks
Apr 22, 2010

Just another day at the office

Jazerus posted:

I'd like to toss in a second recommendation for GetDaved. I checked him out because of this post and he really is quite good even though he does videos of stuff we would normally recommend SSLPs for. If you enjoy strategy LPs then he's a lot of fun to watch (though his mistakes in GalCiv 2 are kind of :suicide:).

I think what makes him so compelling is his skill level. He's good enough to not instantly lose or repeatedly struggle with the interface (which seems to be a big problem for like 90% of YouTube for some reason). At the same time, though, he's not so super-godlike at the games he's playing that there's no challenge at all, so he's in that sweet spot of tension without boredom. He also makes a point of clearly articulating his strategy, which makes a huge difference.

On a related note, I've been on a bit of a strategy binge lately and I'm wondering if anyone knows of any good off-site Dominions 3 LPs (other than Matryx's, which isn't really an off-site per se). The vast majority of SA ones are incomplete or have broken images, and the one currently ongoing is still in the slow setup phase.

Also, a couple more channel recommendations, although these are more in the acquired taste basket than what I posted previously, and I wouldn't blanket recommend them.

Heir Of Carthage Channel Link

Dude does commentary over Total War games. He runs both campaigns and multiplayer battles online. He's relatively competent at the game, but commits a couple of "LP sins" that are a bit annoying (channel graphic at the start, video quality varies, he occasionally up and restarts a campaign halfway through), but if you like watching historical mans kill other historical mans and can look past that he's actually not half bad.

Crysyn Channel Link

So yeah, minecraft videos. And kind of disjointed minecraft videos at that. But he does have a redeeming feature. This guy is like the polar opposite of Direwolf20 - his videos are kind of aimless and he spends more time designing huge structures (that only rarely actually get built or if they do, tend to be built off-screen) than sperging out about sorting systems or automation. I would recommend this more as a kind of chill thing to watch while you're doing something else just to occasionally see an awesome mega project rather than someone to religiously follow. And avoid the stupid "adventure" series like the plague, they're terrible and the people he plays with are pretty boring. So definitely an acquired taste, but can be fun to watch if you're in the right mood.

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

The bane of my existence.

Mr DJB posted:

One that's hilariously unfitting and mocking the source material? Because that could be one for the Experimental LP thread if we get the okay from Slowbeef first.

You should totally do this because most VNs are a bastion of unintentional hilarity which is sadly ignored because the only people who consume them are the lovely nerds that the makers of these games pander to. It would be strangely appropriate if you do this now because lately a bunch of weirdos have been trying to LP hentai games in the LP sub-forum.

Also bonus points if you get Fragmaster involved with it and drag him out of retirement.

Fragmaster on the wonders of Video Games:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgbgpsNUn1I

ff13 ffxiii petition xbox360 for ps3 exclusive: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-uTnqYHZ-I

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
It's was just the one wierdo really. Still doesn't excuse him trying to do a hentai LP though. If I had to guess it was just some kid who wanted to find a way around the rule.

Dice_
May 29, 2013

Afraid of being hollow?

Join the club, my face is more caved in than your mother.
This amazing moment just happened in a stream by some guys I know who make youtube LPs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EhLq3tauzk

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Lazyfire posted:

I just had a chance to listen to the latest Retsutalk and I just need to reiterate how incredibly creepy that YouTube Wikia is. If you haven't listened, Slowbeef and 'Beetus had NorthernLion on

I missed the discussion here (which was really about the creepy youtube wiki) but Northernlion is a clear example of someone who can be either perfectly acceptable or horrible depending on the game.

So, look at his Isaac LP, first. Constant commentary during Isaac is OK. There's really little else to do or to pay attention to. The music is OK, but it's almost entirely a visual game, so his style works.

Then, look at his Metal Gear: Revengeance LP, where he keys up over every cutscene for the sake of making "That's what she said" jokes, and similar.

It's a stark contrast.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I've not watched anything else by mynameisnotlilly other than his Wasteland LP, but that is one of the few off-SA Let's Plays I've really enjoyed. Tons of editing and incorporation of the text originally only provided in the booklet turns it into more of an expertly narrated story than a "classic" LP, but I found it a great way to experience the game. Would also work as an audiobook.

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'

Kytrarewn posted:

I missed the discussion here (which was really about the creepy youtube wiki) but Northernlion is a clear example of someone who can be either perfectly acceptable or horrible depending on the game.

I know Day9 isn't a LPer but I generally really like his content. I find his StarCraft 2 stuff interesting and like his awkward humor.

Tried to watch him LP Skyrim and I couldn't stand it.

Story is going but he just laughing at his cat hands and jumping all over the place. Made me feel a bit nauseus.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Kytrarewn posted:

So, look at his Isaac LP, first. Constant commentary during Isaac is OK. There's really little else to do or to pay attention to. The music is OK, but it's almost entirely a visual game, so his style works.

Then, look at his Metal Gear: Revengeance LP, where he keys up over every cutscene for the sake of making "That's what she said" jokes, and similar.

It's a stark contrast.

There are some people who are totally fine doing one game or even a genre of game, but then the second they step out of their niche they are clearly not prepared for how different it will be. I think it's more apparent in people who do a ton of Minecraft content, they have to go from a game where commentary is "We're going to mine this, we're going to place a block here" stuff to "HOW DO I OPEN THE DOOR! I'VE BEEN TRYING FOR FIVE MINUTES!" the second they start another game.

Case in point, when the new Tomb Raider came out I saw a well known Minecraft LPer try to figure out the first puzzle where you have to burn a cloth, fill a thing with boxes, set those on fire and then set off a mine with the fire boxes. It isn't a difficult puzzle as the game makes what it wants you to do really obvious, but it still took him 10 minutes to figure it out, and he cut out none of it.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!
The only non-SA LP I've seen that I really enjoyed was Skyrim for Pimps.

Don't let the name fool you, it has nothing to do with pimps. The production values are pretty high and the guys have pretty good chemistry. They do a full walkthrough of the major quests and edit out the boring parts.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

VivaVizer posted:

I know Day9 isn't a LPer but I generally really like his content. I find his StarCraft 2 stuff interesting and like his awkward humor.

Tried to watch him LP Skyrim and I couldn't stand it.

Story is going but he just laughing at his cat hands and jumping all over the place. Made me feel a bit nauseus.

Both Day9 and Husky are hard to watch when they aren't playing Starcraft. It's strange that two people whose careers revolve around video games are so painfully bad at playing them. Even so, they can be entertaining on occasion (or if you play the video in the background). Some examples I enjoyed are Day9 playing Portal 1 and 2, and Husky playing Warcraft 3.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

gschmidl posted:

I've not watched anything else by mynameisnotlilly other than his Wasteland LP, but that is one of the few off-SA Let's Plays I've really enjoyed. Tons of editing and incorporation of the text originally only provided in the booklet turns it into more of an expertly narrated story than a "classic" LP, but I found it a great way to experience the game. Would also work as an audiobook.

The Wasteland LP is good, but his other stuff... Bleh. I tried watching a Fallout LP of his - he played blind and spent like 20 minutes trying to figure out why his STR 1 AGL 1 character couldn't hit a rat.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

steinrokkan posted:

The Wasteland LP is good, but his other stuff... Bleh. I tried watching a Fallout LP of his - he played blind and spent like 20 minutes trying to figure out why his STR 1 AGL 1 character couldn't hit a rat.

Yeah, I sort of guessed that might be the case when I saw the number of parts go into the hundreds. Oh well.

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee

steinrokkan posted:

Which is why you don't want to watch a video LP of RPGs like Wasteland or Fallout.

Especially blind or semi-blind ones.

That said, I'm really partial to DaveCaspermeyer's (http://www.youtube.com/user/DaveCaspermeyer?feature=watch) LPs of titles like Wizard's Crown or Eternal Dagger. Must be because I know it for a fact that Dave's really knowledgeable about those titles and actually plays them competently in his LPs, unlike most other youtube LPers who try their hand at oldschool CRPGs.

He ins't particularly good at editing his videos, and his LPs do last a bit too long though, so I'm not sure I can actually recommend them to the spoilt SA audience. They are pretty good in their own way though.

There have also been a fair share of decent oldschool CRPG screenshot LPs at the RPG Codex playground. An index can be found here. From those, I can unreservedly recommend LPs done by the user Black Cat -- Elvira, Elvira 2, The Legacy, Waxworks, Shin Megami Tensei, The Immortal, etc. They feature a quirky but entertaining writing style, and the unforgettable experience of a proficient RPG player going through some of the best games of the genre. Highly recommended.

CrookedB fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 2, 2013

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Phelddagrif posted:

It's strange that two people whose careers revolve around video games are so painfully bad at playing them.

That's a significant hurdle you have to get over with watching basically anyone play games on the Internet.

aerion111
Nov 29, 2011

Prodigy of Curiosity.
Master of Jacks.
Apprentice of Masks.
And, when fighting the forces of darkness, always remember: "Armor of Darkness, Weapon of Light"

frozentreasure posted:

That's a significant hurdle you have to get over with watching basically anyone play games on the Internet.

There is also the fact that playing games is easier than playing games and recording (especially providing commentary while you're doing so, though I find the better commentators shut up when they need to concentrate and let the action fill in the few seconds of silence)
So, everyone is going to be worse than if they were playing alone (assuming the recording isn't inspiring them to try harder, but that's usually not my impression)

On the other hand, if you are unaware of even basic 4x strategies, you shouldn't be playing Civ4 on Emperor difficulty.
If you can't figure out the 'complex' mechanics behind 'walk up to an object, click the same use-button you always use (which is displayed over your head for your convenience)' maybe not play anything Japanese (especially jRPGs) or adventure games.
Etcetera.

What I'm saying, is I find it understandable when people struggle more than other fans of the genre.
And if they're doing it as their job getting any advertising-money at all, I even understand the 4x-expert having trouble with the latest big-budget First-Person Shooter - they're not going to say no to free low-effort money, and not everyone is awesome at every game ever.
But when someone has only obscure games they are horrible at - especially the ones failing at 'retro' games, where they are quite unlikely to earn more than a dozen watches, ever, from searches. And yet I keep finding people playing only retro games, and doing them badly (often complaining about how modern games have more conveniences, like at-will saving) - I'm left wondering why they decided on the genre.
I mean, it's not like there aren't easy games out there.
Games that anyone could be decent at.
Like Minecraft (especially if you are willing to spend at least five minutes doing a very rough editing-job to remove dead time)
Or, there are several RPGs that, if put on an easy setting, are actually hard to intentionally fail at (technically, any game on an easy enough setting, if one exists, is easy. Most games, however, are boring on easy. RPGs still have the story)

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA_VUoePgrc

The true Shitstorm of Scariness begins.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Phelddagrif posted:

Both Day9 and Husky are hard to watch when they aren't playing Starcraft. It's strange that two people whose careers revolve around video games are so painfully bad at playing them. Even so, they can be entertaining on occasion (or if you play the video in the background). Some examples I enjoyed are Day9 playing Portal 1 and 2, and Husky playing Warcraft 3.

Yeah, I think part of it is RTS's lend themselves well to talking ALL the time. You're explaining your moves, what you think the AI/your opponent is doing, laying out your strategy. A game like Portal is different in that there's points where it behooves you to shut up, especially in a blind run, so you can hear/read tutorials and jokes.

Still, Day9 getting stuck for like 20 minutes in that one puzzle early in Portal 2, while his friend is trying not to tell him the answer and nearly peeing herself with laughter is a pretty entertaining case of someone's idiocy making good internet TV.

Cold Milk Bottle
Nov 19, 2012
What is with people who do other forms of youtube poo poo and having a gaming channel? Some of them were actually pretty cool dudes at some point. I used to have a lot of respect for the vlogbrothers prior to Hank getting his own gaming channel and talking about how much he loves tobygames, even inviting Pewdiepie to Vidcon. I will say though that John used to do a FIFA thing that was pretty casual but because he's not much of a gamer he can't not lose focus so he would tell stories but get really distracted by the games. He also knew his poo poo, w.r.t. soccer. Wheezywaiter is another one, I saw a video where he talked about starting a game channel and I laughed out loud.

Also, I have/had a mutual internet friend with chuggaaconroy who got kind of popular doing a vlog sort of thing and started a gaming channel. It's not the worst thing in the world but drat it stop deciding to LP games before they come out, that's the downfall of an inoffensive gaming channel.

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
Because they like money.

They'll probably do a channel for whatever the next big thing is as well.

VivaVizer fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Nov 2, 2013

Cold Milk Bottle
Nov 19, 2012
When's PBS Ideas Channel going to start a gaming channel

Also are there any people who have a big following outside of SA that still post threads here? Most of the people with a "youtube audience" have left.

Cold Milk Bottle fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Nov 2, 2013

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
Honeydew of Yogscast actually still posts around here every once in a while, so there's that.

The Klobbinator
Sep 8, 2013

TaurusOxford posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA_VUoePgrc

The true Shitstorm of Scariness begins.

I've sat through hours of horrible movies and I couldn't even make it through 20 seconds of that thing. I don't believe there's any sort of entertainment value in watching some chumps showcasing themselves with a videogame in the background. That being said, I'm obviously wrong, since guys like these are apparently all the rage in youtube LPing.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012
I think it's funny how they said "We're going to need subtitles for sure!" in the beginning and proceeded to not ever shut up. Even with subtitles I couldn't pay attention to the game because of how hyper they were.

I guess the appeal for that sort of LP is more a MST3k vibe, but at least movies are relatively short - I'm not sure why someone would want to waste 8+ hours of their life on the same exact garbage. Games at least tend to have a story arc or some sort of change that keeps you engaged over that long of a time period, but this kind of act is really one note throughout.

Cold Milk Bottle
Nov 19, 2012
Enjoy the circle jerk, Betus and Beef. I will be waiting to listen to that poo poo on my way to work one Tuesday, you guys trying to be chill about everything and those assholes yelling at the top of their lungs.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

unfair posted:

I guess the appeal for that sort of LP is more a MST3k vibe

Perhaps, but the thing that distinguishes MST3k from LPs (99% at least) is that the cast weren't constantly blabbing on. They'd let the movie play and basically hang itself, and make short little quips. Unlike the majority of the people on YT that play, and constantly drone on and on, because "OH poo poo WE'RE TWO VIDEO GAME FRIENDS THAT ARE OH SO ZANY! gently caress THE GAME, LISTEN TO OUR WITTY COMMENTARY!". Game Grumps, the Two Best Friends are prime examples. Plus, I thought it was Two Best Friends, but apparently it's Best Super Friends. Now I have this odd feeling like there's going to be some sort of really weird YouTube LP Justice League pop up eventually.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
Gopher makes really good videos. He mostly plays modded Bethesda games. One of the only thing I don't like in his videos is his slowness, but that's my point of view.
Recently, he also moved to horror games, but he's the right kind of commentator. His reactions feels genuine and he doesn't try to make fun of the game every 2 minutes.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The Klobbinator posted:

I've sat through hours of horrible movies and I couldn't even make it through 20 seconds of that thing. I don't believe there's any sort of entertainment value in watching some chumps showcasing themselves with a videogame in the background. That being said, I'm obviously wrong, since guys like these are apparently all the rage in youtube LPing.

I started watching them because Youtube recommended one of their Deadly Premonition videos - and yes, they are too loud, obnoxious and often crass... But they usually know stuff about the game they are playing, and talk about it in some detail. They aren't as bad as the Game Grumps kind of jackassery.

Shaded Spriter
Mar 27, 2010

There is a one I am watching in the background for a while. Travis79 has ghost runs of the Thief series up. It is unedited (Including leaving the game for 6 hours for a guard to turn around.) but the amount of planning and effort put in to getting a perfect (No kills, no alerts, all loot.) run at this sort of game is interesting to watch.

Cold Milk Bottle posted:

When's PBS Ideas Channel going to start a gaming channel

Also are there any people who have a big following outside of SA that still post threads here? Most of the people with a "youtube audience" have left.

Well there is PBS Game/Show - which is basically PBS idea channel but not as insightful and about games.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

steinrokkan posted:

I started watching them because Youtube recommended one of their Deadly Premonition videos - and yes, they are too loud, obnoxious and often crass... But they usually know stuff about the game they are playing, and talk about it in some detail. They aren't as bad as the Game Grumps kind of jackassery.

Their Punisher video is pretty funny.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fy5AEK-cABs

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

The Klobbinator posted:

I dunno, it's nice to see someone give this game respect it deserves.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah, I like the Grumps, but it's abundantly clear that of the lot of them Barry is the only one capable of holding a coherent conversation while playing a game. It drives me and some of my friends absolutely loving bonkers when they make really obvious mistakes or can't figure out something stupidly simple because they're too busy talking; sometimes we can't even finish their series of a particular game because they're just SO loving BAD. Two Best Friends gets the point on this one because A) they can play while holding a conversation, and B) they usually have at least SOME kind of knowledge to impart about what they're playing.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Dr. Buttass posted:

Yeah, I like the Grumps, but it's abundantly clear that of the lot of them Barry is the only one capable of holding a coherent conversation while playing a game. It drives me and some of my friends absolutely loving bonkers when they make really obvious mistakes or can't figure out something stupidly simple because they're too busy talking; sometimes we can't even finish their series of a particular game because they're just SO loving BAD. Two Best Friends gets the point on this one because A) they can play while holding a conversation, and B) they usually have at least SOME kind of knowledge to impart about what they're playing.

I watched the LP they did for Viewtiful Joe recently, and thought it was okay. There are problems with it: their commentary drowns out the game audio, and don't really show off any of the side content. However, they manage to play the game pretty well. Looking at how it was uploaded, it seems like they played through the whole game in a single sitting.

The other problem they have is that their commentary tends to go off-track, away from the game and onto other subjects. I don't really have a problem with it, but I can see how that could be kind of irksome.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Someone plugged ABadFeeling on here and I'm surprised that no one has said anything about Criken2. His stuff is pretty much the same only they're usually mulitplayer stuff more often than not. The biggest appeal to me is how there's always always a glitch in the games somehow no matter what he plays.

I mean, seriously how do you break Portal 2, of all things!?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

RareAcumen posted:

I mean, seriously how do you break Portal 2, of all things!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSoOjeFBqew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

The bane of my existence.
I feel that Hellfirecomms is pretty underrated LP group that needs more love.

Sonic Lost World 3DS [Blind run] *Complete*: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyzGRTjIFNQ

• Locked thread