Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Could we all skip the rest of the "he's gay" "no he's not" back and forth and get on with the thread, please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Have we gone over The Shining yet in this thread?

edit: n/m.

Yes we have.

I just watched Room 237. It was stupid but it reminded me of subtle movie moments.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Not to mention makes it psychologically unnerving (ie scary, I guess). So much of what you see becomes subtly, subconsciously wrong in your brain while appearing relatively normal and logical on the outside, leaving you knowing but not understanding why the place is making your head spin. There is so much good in that movie. It's easily in my top 5 films of all time.

There is a major problem with the film though, and that's that you can't keep digging. You start trying to find your own patterns like a mad Rorschach test, and you end up sounding completely and utterly daft. Whether you start reaching around for "holy mathematics" or that Kubrick was trying to hide messages that he faked the Moon Landing in the film. Look at Rob Agar, the premiere analyzer of Kubrick's work; He's done some amazing things, like helping to reveal the incorrect geometry of the film, or find that the magazine Jack is reading in the hotel lobby before his interview is a specific issue of Playgirl that, troublingly, features an article about fathers that sexually abuse their sons. And yet he has a series of videos in the midst of his very detailed dissection in which he chases a rabbit hole regarding an idea that Kubrick is making a protest against The Gold Standard and the men who made it happen which is very steadfastly in :tinfoil: territory. I don't know if the movie has some weird curse on it against analyzers or what, but it's a thing that seems to happen to everyone that digs deep.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

OilSlick posted:

Not quite, his girlfriend shows him ultrasound pictures, to which he has a typical reaction. So he may have had trouble getting it up at first, but he must be okay now since he wasn't perplexed about how she got pregnant

This is from a page back, but the baby was Leo's.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

BiggerBoat posted:

Have we gone over The Shining yet in this thread?

edit: n/m.

Yes we have.

I just watched Room 237. It was stupid but it reminded me of subtle movie moments.

I found Kubrick's Gold Story to be way more interesting than any of 237 even though its conceit is that Kubrick was a goldbug and turns into a Goldline commercial about halfway through.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In Zero Dark Thirty during the Army base bombing scene right before the bomb goes off and the soldiers start yelling at the bomber you can see one of the CIA people just take off running. Which would be the practical thing to do in that situation.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
In Poltergeist, when the teenage daughter comes home from a friend's house at the end when everything is going to hell, her neck is covered in hickeys. It took me a good 15 years to notice that.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

In 21 Jump Street, Jonah Hill's mother sends the boys to school with paper-bag-lunches with quotation marks around their assumed, undercover names ("Doug").

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

In the Disney animated movie 'Hercules', when Hercules and Philoctetes first enter Thebes, they are accosted by a doom-sayer spouting "The end is nigh!". No more than 3 seconds later as they descend down some stairs the words 'Fin' are scrawled in graffiti on the wall behind them.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

In Reservoir Dogs, Mr White clicks the safety on Mr Orange's gun as he lays him out on the floor.

Also, I liked the small scene in Avengers where Nick Fury makes a reference to flying monkeys and Capt America pipes in that he understands the reference. The guy has been transported to the future and must be confused by everything around him, so he likes to let people know when he understands what little he can :3:

Professor Shark has a new favorite as of 10:01 on Oct 18, 2013

Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008
In The Big Lebowski, John Turturro plays an irritating pederast who is introduced to the movie to a Gipsy Kings cover of Hotel California, a song made famous by the Eagles. Later, the Dude is thrown out of a cab for remarking that he hates the loving Eagles.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
When I watched Iron Man 3, every scene with The Mandarin made me wonder: "Why does he sound like a British guy doing a really crappy Southern American accent?" Even Tony Stark mentions that he sounds like a Baptist preacher. Then it turns out that The Mandarin is really a drugged up British actor hired cover up the real identity of the main villain and it just became brilliant.

Celery Face has a new favorite as of 05:33 on Oct 29, 2013

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Celery Face posted:

When I watched Iron Man 3, every scene with The Mandarin made me wonder: "Why does he sound like a British guy doing a really crappy Southern American accent?" Even Tony Stark mentions that he sounds like a Baptist preacher. Then it turns out that The Mandarin is really a drugged up British actor hired cover up the real identity of main villain and it just became brilliant.
Both what you mentioned and also the way Karl Urban says "Murica" in the opening dialogue of Dredd.

Ninja Gamer
Nov 3, 2004

Through howling winds and pouring rain, all evil shall fear The Hurricane!
Although it was almost certainly unintentional, I liked the way Idris Elba's accent slipped in Pacific Rim. Combined with the occasional Japanese dialogue, it made him seem likme an international hero of the world.

obsolete absolution
Oct 9, 2007
forgiveness is meaningless
I just saw Captain Phillips this weekend and was blown away by the camera work. The first half of the movie looks to be shot digitally. Everything is very crisp and clear. All of the lifeboat scenes however are shot on film, which gives it a dark and gritty feel. As if this isn't subtle enough, the scene where the Navy arrives and Phillips begins to think that everything is going to be fine returns to digital before everything goes to hell again. Say what you will about the shakycam in the Bourne Trilogy, Greengrass knows what he's doing with a camera.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
I just saw Dredd on Netflix tonight. I'm not sure if it was an issue with Netflix or a stylistic choice, but there was some strange artifacting that looked like lines on a CRT overlaid on moving elements when there was really graphic action going on. It felt like you were watching the whole thing on hundreds of security cameras.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
It was an intentional effect. It's on my bluray of the movie.

Personally I really loved how the colour was filtered in that movie. The high contrast just gave it a comic book feel.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
I thought it made it so much better.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Mokinokaro posted:

It was an intentional effect. It's on my bluray of the movie.

Someone in CineD said that it's an artifact of the 3d effects rather than an intentional effect.

Either way, now I'm sad because I'll never get to see Dredd in 3d. :saddowns:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Someone in CineD said that it's an artifact of the 3d effects rather than an intentional effect.

Either way, now I'm sad because I'll never get to see Dredd in 3d. :saddowns:

It's not that expensive to set up a PC for 3D now. You can get a 27" 120Hz monitor with emitter and glasses for under £300 in the UK, so probably under $400 in the US, and any PC Blu-ray player can handle the data. :eng101:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, Dredd got really good reviews for the 3D Bluray.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, Dredd got really good reviews for the 3D Bluray.

It's really good. The 3D effects in that movie are beautiful.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Jedit posted:

It's not that expensive to set up a PC for 3D now. You can get a 27" 120Hz monitor with emitter and glasses for under £300 in the UK, so probably under $400 in the US, and any PC Blu-ray player can handle the data. :eng101:
Yea but to forever miss out on seeing it in an iMax 3d sized theater doesn't compare.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Coffee And Pie posted:

In Poltergeist, when the teenage daughter comes home from a friend's house at the end when everything is going to hell, her neck is covered in hickeys. It took me a good 15 years to notice that.

There's also the implication that she might be pregnant (She's always eating).

I thought Dredd was poo poo in 3D. The Slo-mo effects were great, but everything else was garbage to look at.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005
It took me nearly 30 years, but I just noticed the other day that Bender stole Vernon's coat at the end of The Breakfast Club.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
After watching Wreck-It Ralph for the third time, I just realized that he was sequence-breaking to get his medal in Hero's Duty.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Action Tortoise posted:

After watching Wreck-It Ralph for the third time, I just realized that he was sequence-breaking to get his medal in Hero's Duty.

After thirty years of gaming, I just realised I have no idea what "sequence-breaking" is.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta

Jedit posted:

After thirty years of gaming, I just realised I have no idea what "sequence-breaking" is.
Basically accessing a part of a game's story or performing an action before the developers expected you to. An example of this is in Deus Ex where you kill all the NSF troops before betraying Simons on your second visit to the warehouse in Hell's Kitchen. The developers of that game were so awesome they anticipated players doing it and had a unique radio message from Simons acknowledging it.

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

The man in black fled across Middle Tennessee, and Pierre followed.

Celery Face posted:

When I watched Iron Man 3, every scene with The Mandarin made me wonder: "Why does he sound like a British guy doing a really crappy Southern American accent?" Even Tony Stark mentions that he sounds like a Baptist preacher. Then it turns out that The Mandarin is really a drugged up British actor hired cover up the real identity of the main villain and it just became brilliant.

It's compounded for the comic book fans who were thinking what the hell, why would they get ben kingsley to play the mandrin???

Nuclear Pogostick
Apr 9, 2007

Bouncing towards victory
There's a few little audio details in Tron: Legacy that made me go :haw: when I figured them out:

Rinzler's growl is a modulated recording of a hard drive. A broken hard drive, which is perfect considering he's a forcibly brainwashed Tron.

When Flynn turns off the lights in his Flynncave, if you listen real close, you can hear the sound of a computer fan spinning down.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

HOW COULD YOU posted:

It's compounded for the comic book fans who were thinking what the hell, why would they get ben kingsley to play the mandrin???

Hell yes. IM3 doesn't deserve the poo poo that it gets. At least this time we don't have the same plot of "Dude has a vengeance against Mr. Stark and makes his own Iron suit. It's maybe my favorite of the three.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Jedit posted:

The "proper" way to get a medal in Hero's Duty is to fight your way up the tower and eliminate all the aliens, culminating in the highest floor that served as the Hatchery for the aliens. Once you defeat them, the holographic transmission triggers and you get your medal.

Instead, Ralph climbed up the exterior of the tower to reach the top floor, bypassing any fighting he would have to encounter if he did it the "right" way. When he gets up there, he triggers the hologram first and the alien eggs second, thus breaking the sequence of events.

It sounds simple enough, but considering that the movie's main audience would be little kids, I'm surprised at how well it depicted videogames compared to other films like Spy Kids 3D.

Inzombiac posted:

Hell yes. IM3 doesn't deserve the poo poo that it gets. At least this time we don't have the same plot of "Dude has a vengeance against Mr. Stark and makes his own Iron suit. It's maybe my favorite of the three.

What makes those Mandarin videos so great is that they looked so over-produced to be homemade terrorist videos. Because they are.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Considering that Sargeant Calhoun is at least partly based off Samus Aran, it's a nice little reference I felt.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010

obsolete absolution posted:

I just saw Captain Phillips this weekend and was blown away by the camera work. The first half of the movie looks to be shot digitally. Everything is very crisp and clear. All of the lifeboat scenes however are shot on film, which gives it a dark and gritty feel. As if this isn't subtle enough, the scene where the Navy arrives and Phillips begins to think that everything is going to be fine returns to digital before everything goes to hell again. Say what you will about the shakycam in the Bourne Trilogy, Greengrass knows what he's doing with a camera.

Seen this the other night and didn't notice, however noticed the effect it had of making the lifeboat dank and small.
Probably not all that subtle but I liked the "You about done with that coffee" that set up his character in one sentence.

Also him bring annoyed about the gates being left unlocked but when the pirates got on board they just blew the locks off with even stopping for a second showing how under prepared the guidelines are for the real thing.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

fuckpot posted:

Basically accessing a part of a game's story or performing an action before the developers expected you to. An example of this is in Deus Ex where you kill all the NSF troops before betraying Simons on your second visit to the warehouse in Hell's Kitchen. The developers of that game were so awesome they anticipated players doing it and had a unique radio message from Simons acknowledging it.

Not quite, that's not really letting you get "ahead" of the story so it's not a great example. Sequence breaking is using prior knowledge or glitch exploitation to skip ahead, a better one would be in the Fallout games, because with prior knowledge of the game you can in theory go right to the final boss and win without actually doing anything in between. This is especially true in Fallout 3 because it's bugged and there's a few spots where if you merely go there too early the game just assumes youve followed the plot up to this point and continues as normal.

tagelthebagel
Oct 23, 2008

RagnarokAngel posted:

Not quite, that's not really letting you get "ahead" of the story so it's not a great example. Sequence breaking is using prior knowledge or glitch exploitation to skip ahead, a better one would be in the Fallout games, because with prior knowledge of the game you can in theory go right to the final boss and win without actually doing anything in between. This is especially true in Fallout 3 because it's bugged and there's a few spots where if you merely go there too early the game just assumes youve followed the plot up to this point and continues as normal.

I agree with this as sequence breaking and if you want to go Fallout style in Fallout 2 you leave your tribe and suppose to go east in search of water. But if you played the game before and know where the final base is you can just walk south for a bit and pick up the power armor and destroy pretty much everything in the game after that. And the characters in the game at the base just assume you are there for the right reasons, which you are not.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
If it's sequence breaking I'd say it's actually making fun of gamers since it doesn't work, Ralph is happy for all of five seconds afterwards, and it almost destroys the arcade.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I think the best case of sequence-breaking comes (appropriately enough considering) in Metroid Fusion, a game with a large amount of railroading. There's a point however, where if you do a very difficult set of physical manuvers, you can get to a late game location. The game actually throws in a special bit of dialogue crongratulating you for your accomplishment.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Razorwired posted:

If it's sequence breaking I'd say it's actually making fun of gamers since it doesn't work, Ralph is happy for all of five seconds afterwards, and it almost destroys the arcade.

That honestly sounds like sequence breaking to me. It's fun while you're doing it, but once you've actually pulled it off you're only really happy for a few seconds before you're left trying to figure out what you should do now.

Obviously the answer is then to destroy all the electronics around you. Or maybe it's that sequence breaking can sometimes cause bugs and break games, especially if it wasn't accounted for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Razorwired posted:

I don't think it was specifically a jab at dudes cheesing games but more a "Cheaters never prosper" lesson.