Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Gimmie dat Hourman HC.

Gimmie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Gimmie dat Hourman HC.

Gimmie.
NO! GET!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

You selfish jerk!

Oh hey, the One Million Omnibus is out next week.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Careful. I started binding to get rid of my longboxes problem. Now I end up hunting down complete runs of floppies just for the thrill of tearing them up to get bound.

A barebones bind costs about $25 so if I can find a trade or hardcover cheaper I buy those.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

sporklift posted:

Careful. I started binding to get rid of my longboxes problem. Now I end up hunting down complete runs of floppies just for the thrill of tearing them up to get bound.

A barebones bind costs about $25 so if I can find a trade or hardcover cheaper I buy those.

But if you already own the issues and remove the double-sided ad pages (including back covers), you can get 25-30 issues bound in each volume, making it more economical than shopping for trades.

Plus, these days, you won't get much for selling your singles.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

sporklift posted:

I may or may not be prepping a 3-volume Cloak and Dagger set because I found most of what I needed in quarter bins. :ninja:

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

redbackground posted:

I may or may not be prepping a 3-volume Cloak and Dagger set because I found most of what I needed in quarter bins. :ninja:

That is how half of my binds started.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I'm 2 issues away from a full run of New Mutants (although I'm missing some Annuals, too). I'm not sure I'd want to get it bound, though... I like having those singles.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I am not gonna lie, the notion of physically ripping up my singles to remove covers or ads or whatever makes me apprehensive as gently caress. :ohdear:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Xenomrph posted:

I am not gonna lie, the notion of physically ripping up my singles to remove covers or ads or whatever makes me apprehensive as gently caress. :ohdear:
It's pretty fun once you start. Also, you may find this post at the MMF helpful.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Xenomrph posted:

Most stuff I have bound is pretty cheap/easy to replace. It is the shipping back and forth that freaks me out. Buy a cheap run of something and test it out...

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.

Xenomrph posted:

I get all my binds sewn. It saves on gutter loss and works better if you don't cut up the books. I think it's 10 bucks more at my binder.

And if you later on really regret binding you could undo it with less damage.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

I just sent in virtually the entire Marvel Cosmic Universe run from a few years back to be bound. Eight volumes put together in reading order rather than by series, starting from the 12 issue Thanos series in 2003 through Realm of Kings.

Annihilation, Annihilation Conquest, War of Kings, all the minis, the X-Men related stuff, all of Nova and GotG. It is going to be a costly bit of binding right there. I would have done The Thanos Imperative as book nine (as I chose it as my end point), but I already own the hardcover of that.

DFu4ever fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Oct 24, 2013

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

DFu4ever posted:

I just sent in virtually the entire Marvel Cosmic Universe run from a few years back to be bound. Eight volumes put together in reading order rather than by series, starting from the 12 issue Thanos series in 2003 through Realm of Kings.

Annihilation, Annihilation Conquest, War of Kings, all the minis, the X-Men related stuff, all of Nova and GotG. It is going to be a costly bit of binding right there. I would have done The Thanos Imperative as book nine (as I chose it as my end point), but I already own the hardcover of that.

I picked up the complete runs of Annihilation and Annihilation: Conquest in floppies for a few bucks and had them bound up. Really made me want the following GotG but poo poo that stuff is expensive! Is Marvel really trying to bury that series in favor of the Bendis run? Kinda hoping we get an omnibus closer to the movie release.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Yeah, Guardians of the Galaxy was actually the priciest part of that collection to get. Surprisingly the last two issues were the hardest to find at a good price. They must have had really low print runs because almost everything else was relatively cheap to acquire.

I was specifically targeting floppies for binding, but I did notice that the GotG trades were also ridiculously expensive. Actually, they seemed even more scarce than the actual issues.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DFu4ever posted:

Yeah, Guardians of the Galaxy was actually the priciest part of that collection to get. Surprisingly the last two issues were the hardest to find at a good price. They must have had really low print runs because almost everything else was relatively cheap to acquire.

I was specifically targeting floppies for binding, but I did notice that the GotG trades were also ridiculously expensive. Actually, they seemed even more scarce than the actual issues.

The trades probably had 1/10th the print run of the singles. Ditto for the HCs. I had all 4 of those and I sold them when a GotG omnibus was hinted. When it never appeared I looked at re buying the HCs and the prices were like quadruple what I'd sold mine for.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How well has the Roger Stern Avengers run been collected? Judging from Wikipedia, it looks like it's just "Under Siege" and "Heavy Metal" (and since the latter was finished by Simonson I'm not sure how much it counts). That seems like a run that's begging for the Visionaries or Omnibus treatment at some point down the line.

Regarding Avengers trades, I'm quite keen on the Shooter run and I own the "Korvac Saga" TPB, but have there been paperback releases for "Bride of Ultron" (and "The Private War of Dr. Doom", which was written by Conway, but immediately precedes the Ultron story) aside from the pocket-book editions?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Metal Loaf posted:

How well has the Roger Stern Avengers run been collected? Judging from Wikipedia, it looks like it's just "Under Siege" and "Heavy Metal" (and since the latter was finished by Simonson I'm not sure how much it counts). That seems like a run that's begging for the Visionaries or Omnibus treatment at some point down the line.

Regarding Avengers trades, I'm quite keen on the Shooter run and I own the "Korvac Saga" TPB, but have there been paperback releases for "Bride of Ultron" (and "The Private War of Dr. Doom", which was written by Conway, but immediately precedes the Ultron story) aside from the pocket-book editions?

Yes and its coming out in December http://www.amazon.com/Avengers-Epic...he+Final+Threat

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Cool. That'd take it right up to Korvac.

The Epic Collection's kind of like coloured versions of the Essential line, right? I believe O'Neil's run on Iron Man and DeFalco's Thor have been (at least partly) released in that format already.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Metal Loaf posted:

Cool. That'd take it right up to Korvac.

The Epic Collection's kind of like coloured versions of the Essential line, right? I believe O'Neil's run on Iron Man and DeFalco's Thor have been (at least partly) released in that format already.

The found that the premire line is not working so they decided to reprint their old stuff in the epic collection.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
My longbox situation is getting a little out of control, so I'm considering starting to bind my older issues. Who is considered the go-to binder currently? (I've seen the thread on MMM, but the information there is somewhat overwhelming.)

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Brocktoon posted:

My longbox situation is getting a little out of control, so I'm considering starting to bind my older issues. Who is considered the go-to binder currently? (I've seen the thread on MMM, but the information there is somewhat overwhelming.)
Herring and Robinson, by far.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

redbackground posted:

Can you comment on what options are/are not worth the extra charge? Some of these I don't even know what they are.

Decorative Panel Lines - Are these the separation lines on the spine of the book with the title?
Headbands - These are at the top of the actual bound section, right? What's the point other than decoration?
Die Imprinting is, like, the comic logos, but what's Personalized Imprinting?

Brocktoon fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Oct 28, 2013

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Brocktoon posted:

Can you comment on what options are/are not worth the extra charge? Some of these I don't even know what they are.
I always spring for head & tail bands and (double) panel lines. I think panel lines class up the spine a bit, but if you must spring for only one or the other, go with the bands (color chart/photos here.)

edit:

Brocktoon posted:

Decorative Panel Lines - Are these the separation lines on the spine of the book with the title? Yes.
Headbands - These are at the top of the actual bound section, right? What's the point other than decoration? They make a HC look so much more professional. They also can do a good job of masking rough paper edges at the end of the paper block.
Die Imprinting is, like, the comic logos, but what's Personalized Imprinting? I honestly don't know--never asked, never seen it done.

Hit up the MMF if you really want a good pool of advice on this kind of stuff.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 28, 2013

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

redbackground posted:

Seconding this. They do great work and the turnaround if fairly quick. Rarely do I wait more than a month.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

I asked this in comics Q&A, but they're too busy arguing about Todd MacFarlane, so I thought I'd repost here, since it has to do with binding comics...

I'm working on organizing my comics into some kind of readable sequence for eventual handing down to one of my 3 nephews when they come of age (and possible binding). The first hurdle is my collection of Avengers from Disassembled to present. How do you all handle when a series splits but runs concurrent and sometimes comes together in major events, like New/Mighty/Dark/Adjectiveless Avengers does? Split them completely, but make a note that they should be read at the same time? Alternate story arcs? Put them in publication order, even though that will be jumping between storylines each issue?

I've already decided I'll single out major events and their tie-ins into their own sections, but again, what order? All the core issues first, followed by the tie-ins? Publication order?

Any advice would be appreciated, since this is just going to get more complex when I start having to do Amazing/Spectacular/Peter Parker/Marvel Knights Spider-Man...

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Sorry for the double post, but it's been a few days. I'm taking the plunge and getting my first set of comics bound. (Batman - City of Crime) I'm preparing the comics by removing the staples, as well as the back covers and double-sided ads. Should I be splitting all the pages for consistency? Also, after rubber-banding them together between two backing boards, what's the best container to mail it in? A padded envelope? A box? Do I need to contact Herring & Robinson first to let them know a package is coming?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Brocktoon posted:

Sorry for the double post, but it's been a few days. I'm taking the plunge and getting my first set of comics bound. (Batman - City of Crime) I'm preparing the comics by removing the staples, as well as the back covers and double-sided ads.

Should I be splitting all the pages for consistency?

Also, after rubber-banding them together between two backing boards, what's the best container to mail it in? A padded envelope? A box?

Do I need to contact Herring & Robinson first to let them know a package is coming?

Nope.
----------
I use Medium Flat-Rate boxes, an can usually fit about 4 books per. Pad however you can, sure.
----------
No, but I email them after I send something anyway.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Oct 31, 2013

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

My Hickman FF omni arrived today :getin:

I guess I can get rid of the hardcovers which I'd picked up so far.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I went out and spent all my money today:

(Okay, more accurately, the two Thor books arrived in the post, but still).

I've actually another question; a while back I asked what occupied the gap between "Fall of the Mutants" and "Inferno" (it was the outback stories) but it looks like there's another gap, namely five or six issues between "Mutant Massacre" and "Fall". What goes there?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Metal Loaf posted:

I went out and spent all my money today:

(Okay, more accurately, the two Thor books arrived in the post, but still).

I've actually another question; a while back I asked what occupied the gap between "Fall of the Mutants" and "Inferno" (it was the outback stories) but it looks like there's another gap, namely five or six issues between "Mutant Massacre" and "Fall". What goes there?
It's not really been collected, but there's 2 or 3 stories in here, "Old Soldiers" (#215-216) where Storm gets attacked by Stonewall, Crimson Commando and Super Sabre. Then there's a story with the "new" X-Men on Muir Island (Rogue, Dazzler, Psylocke and Longshot) where they have a fight with Juggernaut (#217-218). The last issue before Fall of the Mutants then has Havok join the team (#219).

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

One last binding question: How specific do I need to be with the spine text? I just want the name of the comic down the spine with the author/artist right above the bottom tail band. Do I need to be specific about font style/sizes, centering, etc? Or will they just do that automatically, based on the thickness of the book?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Brocktoon posted:

One last binding question: How specific do I need to be with the spine text? I just want the name of the comic down the spine with the author/artist right above the bottom tail band. Do I need to be specific about font style/sizes, centering, etc? Or will they just do that automatically, based on the thickness of the book?
Dude, you have to join us at the MMF stat.

I would manually write/use Photoshop/Word/whatever and be as specific as possible. They'll handle the specific measuring/centering generally. You could always print out a pic of another spine and say "Use this font!" just to make sure.

Here's an example of what mine generally look like:

redbackground fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 31, 2013

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

irlZaphod posted:

It's not really been collected, but there's 2 or 3 stories in here, "Old Soldiers" (#215-216) where Storm gets attacked by Stonewall, Crimson Commando and Super Sabre. Then there's a story with the "new" X-Men on Muir Island (Rogue, Dazzler, Psylocke and Longshot) where they have a fight with Juggernaut (#217-218). The last issue before Fall of the Mutants then has Havok join the team (#219).
Those are all in Essential X-Men Vol. 7.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

irlZaphod posted:

"Old Soldiers" (#215-216) where Storm gets attacked by Stonewall

Sir Ian McKellen was menacing the X-Men even thirty years ago!

That was awful, sorry.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Found Groo the Wanderer Artist Edition fo $65! I used to love going through Sergio Aragones' stuff in Mad Magazine. His intricate crowd scenes and backgrounds really lend themselves to this format. Must say this book is pretty quaint when put next to the EC Artist Edition.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

Those are all in Essential X-Men Vol. 7.
Sorry, I meant in its own collection (preferably HC), which is what he's after, I presume.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Received EC Archives: Tales from the Crypt Volume 04 today. The spine is different but the size is pretty much the same (slightly smaller, like the Haunt of Fear Archives), I could care less. This set started in 2006 and after all the rights issues and the death of Gemstone, I consider each subsequent volume that get released to be a blessing. Vault of Horror V3 is coming out in January and Weird Fantasy V1 is slated for release in April 2014. I really hope they finish up the Shock Suspenstories volumes next, but it looks like they may stick with the more popular horror and sci-fi/fantasy stuff first.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

irlZaphod posted:

Those Juggernaut issues are real fun, it's where we find out that Juggernaut is an obsessive fan of Dazzler's music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann

Tato posted:

Received EC Archives: Tales from the Crypt Volume 04 today. The spine is different but the size is pretty much the same (slightly smaller, like the Haunt of Fear Archives), I could care less. This set started in 2006 and after all the rights issues and the death of Gemstone, I consider each subsequent volume that get released to be a blessing. Vault of Horror V3 is coming out in January and Weird Fantasy V1 is slated for release in April 2014. I really hope they finish up the Shock Suspenstories volumes next, but it looks like they may stick with the more popular horror and sci-fi/fantasy stuff first.

Everything is popular with EC! I prefer the EC Library b&w volumes Russ put out 20 years or so ago because you can focus on the art which is what makes EC special in my mind but I'm double-dipping and getting these as well.