Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Syrg Sapphire posted:

There's still a few ways you can get powered through once CR kicks in, a good deal of T2/T3 alert teleporters will let anyone in, CR be damned, so if you manually make a group that way you can carry someone and try to get them some bonuses in the drop lottery.

Well, I got up to 43 on my own today with Motherfluxer and then this awesome CR 98 pub invited me to duo Sub-Avatars with him because he needed some styles and gave me all the leftovers... through that I bumped myself up to CR 48, so I'm now pretty close to hitting CC. Can't wait!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mimsy
Oct 25, 2008

ArchRanger posted:

Yeah, I can't remember the last time I saw the villain faction win any of the world events.

Firstly I wasn't aware people were playing this again, secondly villains haven't won diamond heist at all since the game went F2P so far as I know. Ring war was about 50/50 last time I played though.

So what are folks playing as now? I only have villains.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Mimsy posted:

Firstly I wasn't aware people were playing this again, secondly villains haven't won diamond heist at all since the game went F2P so far as I know. Ring war was about 50/50 last time I played though.

I just won a diamond heist the other day...

Granted, Heroes weren't even trying, but still!

I'm on villain, playing right now. I'm in Mumble with a working mic now, too. Working on getting my Quantum guy to T3, only have one piece so far.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Well, so I had an interesting night. Powered from CR 48 all the way to CR 53 and got into Central City... ended up hooking up with 3 guys from the Mad Villains that needed a Troller, they were all using mics so we all teamed up and just plowed through alerts back to back, then the timer reset on them and we plowed through them again, plus we did Kahndaq. Ended up joining them and they're all pretty chill guys and really laid back, seem to have people from every timezone... one guy was playing from South Africa, another was in Cali, and their guild leader is UK. Most of their members are around T2-4, and there were about 8 of them on just now at 5am, and that's about as low as they go, so I think it's a solid bet... they didn't even mind my retarded sense of humor, which Mastajake can vouch for the fact that it's colorful at best.

So yeah, I mentioned that there were more of us looking for an active League, and they were totally cool with having more people. I'll get some more officer names (server just went down) and give you guys the info if any of you are interested in actually playing this game with people... they might as well be goons, they even call the rest of the server pubbies. It's pretty great. :unsmith:

And they don't have a retarded name, to boot.

EDIT: Oh, and I got most of the Sector Agent set, AND I got the Guy Gardner vest! gently caress yeah! :woop:

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Fuzz posted:

AND I got the Guy Gardner vest!

ARGH

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
Boo Jr is amazingly useful if you're trying to solo stuff. Since it has a shield it uses on you and can hold aggro on enemies. Combined with a sidekick level 2 it makes several things easy.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I really need to actually go into my base and check out this sidekick business.

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

Fuzz posted:

I really need to actually go into my base and check out this sidekick business.

It's not a game changer, but it can make solo stuff a bit easier. For kicks I've loaded up to three sidekicks, the icon robot, a base sidekick, and one of those fish giys from the summer content, that i would deploy when getting overwhelmed or with bosses, it helped pick up some of the slack when leveling my healer, who had lovely dps. It kinda annoys people in groups to do that, and is considered a lovely thing to do in pvp

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
God, I wish the team doing the T4+ content had been (allowed to?) do this stuff for the lower levels, progression feels so loving much better at this level than it ever has before. A pair of semi-random dailies for variety's sake (they each have... 9? 10? different quests you'll get assigned one of each day), new bounties if you're into running those or have a crew who'll do so, and to top it all off you're guaranteed a piece of mid-tier gear, for whichever role you like, and whatever SLOT you like, every 5 days or so, with its own also-semi-random mission associated with it.

To top it all off, I think Ace Chemicals' "weekly" mission just became one of my favorite events in the game just for TO Morrow ripping off The Professional in the finale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74BzSTQCl_c

It's pretty sweet. And I get the sense that after I hit a certain level there'll be two more of these at Arkham/Steelworks. (Or are those for villains? Huh.)

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Oct 14, 2013

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Man, having an active League makes a HUGE difference in this game. Just steamrolled all my T1 alerts for today, plus got some Marks in a few PvP matches I was basically dragged through... I sat on the sides, power batterying like a loving fiend and avoiding the fight while our DPSers stomped the other team's faces in in hilarious fashion. Really glad I focused on the Controller thing... hanging off to the side and debuffing/breaking HoTs while also stunning people and generating power for the team actually lets me still be useful even though I'm literally made of paper.

We're about to start doing T2 stuff and CC stuff, if any of you are around and want to jump in.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I played DCUO for the first time last night. I don't know how anyone could hate a free game with as many options for play styles as DCUO seems to have. Are there certain weapon styles that are better for certain roles than others? It seems like I keep seeing guides that indicate that some weapons give better bonuses depending on the role you're playing in a group? It looks like you can unlock different weapons on the same characters as you level up?

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Arkham/Steelworks are for villains, they're not just re-skins of the hero missions either. Despite steelworks having the most insane amount of mobs per square inch.

Worst mission so far is either helicopter black box or anything involving a cleanse rifle.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

tadashi posted:

I played DCUO for the first time last night. I don't know how anyone could hate a free game with as many options for play styles as DCUO seems to have. Are there certain weapon styles that are better for certain roles than others? It seems like I keep seeing guides that indicate that some weapons give better bonuses depending on the role you're playing in a group? It looks like you can unlock different weapons on the same characters as you level up?

Your weapon choice is not super-important (it won't make or break your character), and you should ultimately go with the weapon you most enjoy using.

You will eventually have the skill points to unlock most or all of the weapons. This allows you to pick up all the passive bonuses on a weapon tree that would help your character (some weapons have better bonuses for a specific role). This also increases the amount of weapon drops you can roll need on, for when a weapon with good stats drops.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Your weapon choice is not super-important (it won't make or break your character), and you should ultimately go with the weapon you most enjoy using.

You will eventually have the skill points to unlock most or all of the weapons. This allows you to pick up all the passive bonuses on a weapon tree that would help your character (some weapons have better bonuses for a specific role). This also increases the amount of weapon drops you can roll need on, for when a weapon with good stats drops.

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. It's funny how the game feels familiar even though the combat system is pretty weird for someone who hasn't played a lot of current generation MMOs.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

tadashi posted:

There is some mild benefit later on, for example I swapped from one handed, which I used to level up, to hand blasters on my Quantum controller. Partly it was because a good controller pair dropped early in my Tier 1 (when you hit 30, the game actually starts, then there are tiers of gear and quests) stuff, partly it was because I have become more and more papery as I progress, because things just hit goddamn hard. So being able to hit from range and basically stay on the edge of a fight while powering everyone has helped immensely.

On an aside, for those up at 30 that are skilling out, don't bother with the innates at the bottom at first. A guildmate suggested I instead just go down the middle of every weapon tree when I hit about 47ish skillpoints, so that's what I did and it's surprising how all the passives actually keep your main skill high enough while also boosting up other stuff like your health and critical chance. I can also roll Need for every weapon, which is drat handy when gearing up. So far no one has complained, and I'm a troll, so you know people tend to complain.

Tadashi: if you're on PC Villain, look me up... name is Motherfluxer ingame.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 15, 2013

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Giedroyc posted:

Arkham/Steelworks are for villains, they're not just re-skins of the hero missions either. Despite steelworks having the most insane amount of mobs per square inch.

I'm pretty sure Ace matches Steelworks for density, it just has the higher Hero pop running through it more often to tone it down. I've literally turned around to see a man I just killed respawn on me.

(I kinda like the cleanse rifle mission at Ace.)

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Fuzz posted:

There is some mild benefit later on, for example I swapped from one handed, which I used to level up, to hand blasters on my Quantum controller. Partly it was because a good controller pair dropped early in my Tier 1 (when you hit 30, the game actually starts, then there are tiers of gear and quests) stuff, partly it was because I have become more and more papery as I progress, because things just hit goddamn hard. So being able to hit from range and basically stay on the edge of a fight while powering everyone has helped immensely.

On an aside, for those up at 30 that are skilling out, don't bother with the innates at the bottom at first. A guildmate suggested I instead just go down the middle of every weapon tree when I hit about 47ish skillpoints, so that's what I did and it's surprising how all the passives actually keep your main skill high enough while also boosting up other stuff like your health and critical chance. I can also roll Need for every weapon, which is drat handy when gearing up. So far no one has complained, and I'm a troll, so you know people tend to complain.

Tadashi: if you're on PC Villain, look me up... name is Motherfluxer ingame.

Related, you want a good melee oriented weapon for a tank. Seems obvious, but I went on the 'Use what you like' at first for my fire tank, using dual pistols, and ended up needing to switch to dual wield, simply because I didn't hit fast enough at close range with the pistols.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

So here's a blog post about update 31 which sounds pretty big. I'm happy to read that they're really going all out to update the game in time for the PS4 version launch. I kind of missed playing this so I'm hoping to jump back in when I get my own PS4, just spending a lot of time reading the various guides and such on the official forums. Does DCUO have any kind of major guide/wiki resource thing for builds or whatever?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Policenaut posted:

Does DCUO have any kind of major guide/wiki resource thing for builds or whatever?

Basically the most in-depth you're gonna find (that I've ever seen) is the Oracle's Database subforum on the official boards, just because dudes will straight up work out the numbers, stress-test builds, and hash over new ideas pretty often in terms of what plays well and what's deceptively "good". That said, god only knows what'll change with this update that might null some current data, or when we're ever going to get the tweaks for the last two powersets (Nature/Sorcery) that haven't seen one yet from launch.

(I really want to keep using my Nature healer, but gently caress knows the new powersets outclass me for versatility.)

edit: Random question - is it just me who's been getting lockboxes OUT THE rear end since the Halloween event began?

Seriously, it's a flood.

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Oct 22, 2013

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

I have 3 more Halloween events until I have the feats on 3 characters. I advise anyone to just pick 1 or 2 characters to stick with when playing this since otherwise the events will drive you insane with the grind.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Do you have to be in Gotham to do the Halloween events? I have been leveling a villain and I switched cities from Metropolis to Gotham to do my event missions and was immediately murdered by some level 30 burning path mobs upon exiting the hide-out. They were killing everything in sight. I couldn't tell if that was event-related or just normal.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Oct 24, 2013

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
That's normal although dickish, someone lured a random mob to the safehouse door (possibly trying to flee from it). Pretty sure the halloween ghouls are Gotham-only though.

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

Hey guys, I've been playing this game for a few months now, got a couple characters to about CR55ish. I've got some questions:

- What's the best way of getting exobits? I've just started buying the armor set in Central City (for about 600 MoT per piece) so I think I'm finally ready to start socketing. But I consolidate all my items across characters, and I still only had enough exobits to make three yellow Exobytes and 1 each of red and blue. Most good recipes need at least 2 or more, and I'm hovering around $70000 in cash. Should I just be farming them more aggressively? What's the best option here?

- Where can I buy decent weapons? So far the best weapons that are close to my price range and level are in Central City, but they cost 600 MoT apiece. Is there a place where I buy weapons that are just one tier lower than them? Because a lot of my high-level characters have crappy weapons, but I don't seem to see a lot of weapon vendors.

- Speaking of which, how do I get cash? People in this thread say things like "I've got over a million dollars and I'm poor." Is it all through the auctionhouse? How do I know if an item I have will fetch a good price in the AH?

I'm sure I'll have more questions soon!

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Astfgl posted:

- What's the best way of getting exobits? I've just started buying the armor set in Central City (for about 600 MoT per piece) so I think I'm finally ready to start socketing. But I consolidate all my items across characters, and I still only had enough exobits to make three yellow Exobytes and 1 each of red and blue. Most good recipes need at least 2 or more, and I'm hovering around $70000 in cash. Should I just be farming them more aggressively? What's the best option here?
Some people tend to just pay for theirs, others (like me) get really, really anal-retentive and cultivate "farming routes" in Gotham/Metropolis because the spawns are always in certain places, if not set timers. Some areas just end up being untouched by people most of the time (depending on when you log on to play), and so there'll be bunches of the things within a few-block radius.

Astfgl posted:

- Where can I buy decent weapons? So far the best weapons that are close to my price range and level are in Central City, but they cost 600 MoT apiece. Is there a place where I buy weapons that are just one tier lower than them? Because a lot of my high-level characters have crappy weapons, but I don't seem to see a lot of weapon vendors.
PvP aside, those CC weapons are the last ones sold in the game. Most of your weapon upgrades (and ring, neck, and trinket upgrades) come from drops in Alerts/Raids. It gets a LITTLE easier when you hit T4 (CR70) because you'll get a set of dailies that give guaranteed loot every 5th time, with chances of more if you do a bounty. Until then, though, hope you like General Zod, because the final Fortress of Solitude mission's the quickest thing to run for new toys.

Astfgl posted:

- Speaking of which, how do I get cash? People in this thread say things like "I've got over a million dollars and I'm poor." Is it all through the auctionhouse? How do I know if an item I have will fetch a good price in the AH?
To be fair, I think those were PS3 players, and from what I hear the economy is fuuuuucked console-side. But this might just be my bias talking because I've got 500k kicking around on my main and I don't really ever "run out" unless I go splurging in a drunken collection bender.

Future Son
Mar 29, 2007
I'm from the future. I'm your son!
Until you get to t5 I recommend slotting nothing higher than beta level mods. That way when you get a new piece of gear next week you can use the alpha recovery kit off the vendor to recover the exobytes from your old item. It will save you lots of cash or farm time.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

They've finally confirmed that it will be there at launch for PS4 in USA and EU. Which is nice.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Today I learned that of all the raids, Fortress of Solitude 2 is the WORST to do on a time-crunch (like, say, the final moments before server shutdown!), because it ends on a huge unskippable in-engine cutscene that will deny all of you your loot.

Never before have I heard voicechat go from "aww yeah!" to "AW gently caress!" in so quick a time.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

Mimsy posted:

I won the diamond heist like twice as a villain. It does happen, or it did, just extremely rarely and at super weird hours. It's pretty retarded how close the heroes base is to it though, since they're all just flying around right there anyways when it starts.

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
Do we have some list of PS3 players/guilds that I missed out on? I'd like to get into this but don't feel like soloing everything.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I don't know if we ever had any beyond like... two dudes.

Also Game Update 31 is now live and within a day or two after bugs are ironed out I'm gonna remake the thread with the new content and the suggestions people gave earlier. Anything else you wanna see in the OP, hit me with it now.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

How's the new XP curve? The slow progress rate was one of the things that kind of kept me away, since it sounded like all the cool stuff was at the endgame but it felt like it was taking forever to get anywhere near that.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
All this time I thought I was putting up a Defense debuff with my Taser Pull and now I find out it was just a UI error.
I thought I was doing such a good job, keeping up debuffs and managing blue bars. :negative:

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Kelp Plankton posted:

How's the new XP curve? The slow progress rate was one of the things that kind of kept me away, since it sounded like all the cool stuff was at the endgame but it felt like it was taking forever to get anywhere near that.

I can hit the level cap in a weekend if I push for it now. For me the slow grind doesn't seem to start until level thirty where you have to start working on getting Marks in order to advance.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
In what may be my new favorite "OH poo poo" moment of MMOs, emergency maintenance just began hours ahead of schedule for the night because characters are disappearing off people's accounts wholesale.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
I downloaded this on a whim after hearing about the graphical overhaul. I am sensing that the goone presence here may not be all that healthsome. I'm on the mumble and all alone >.>

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Sion posted:

I downloaded this on a whim after hearing about the graphical overhaul. I am sensing that the goone presence here may not be all that healthsome. I'm on the mumble and all alone >.>

Yeah I don't know that I ever found more than two dudes on that Mumble at once. Sorry, man. Which side are you? I can point you towards Good People.

Also just because someone kept stupidly insisting that this didn't work anymore:

I told you the cards still gave you sub time.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

I'm on EU but I got to level 5 and I am not attached to a character. Where is a good place? I'm guessing US PVE?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Sion posted:

I'm on EU but I got to level 5 and I am not attached to a character. Where is a good place? I'm guessing US PVE?

Either US server works, PvE/PvP are the same thing, you just use a portal on your side's hub area to cross over anytime.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Either US server works, PvE/PvP are the same thing, you just use a portal on your side's hub area to cross over anytime.

Oh. Cool. Well in that case I will reroll in the US. Hero or villain as a guide?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
A lot of the non-Syrg goons were villains, and some of the missions are crazier in a "WHAT THE HELL?!" way, but you're also going to have low-as-hell server population on your side of things and I'd have to contact a buddy to find out what the hell the good leagues/players still remaining are, as none of them are posting anymore.

If you straight up don't care and just want the side with healthier pop and ease of play, go hero.

• Locked thread