Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The horseshoe is doing nothing at all if you have wings. Equip something else. You should also upgrade your Spectre boots to Lightning boots for the extra run speed, you'll want it against the Twins.
The Ankh charm won't help you at all against that boss. If you combine it with an Obsidian Shield, though, it'll give you more defence and the knockback resist might be helpful.
"Warding" is generally considered the best prefix, unless you specifically need an extra bit of mana or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Tenebrais posted:

The horseshoe is doing nothing at all if you have wings. Equip something else. You should also upgrade your Spectre boots to Lightning boots for the extra run speed, you'll want it against the Twins.
The Ankh charm won't help you at all against that boss. If you combine it with an Obsidian Shield, though, it'll give you more defence and the knockback resist might be helpful.
"Warding" is generally considered the best prefix, unless you specifically need an extra bit of mana or something.

Upgraded to the Lightening Boots, didn't realize there was something better. Also whoops, meant to say Ankh Shield, I already had the Obsidian Shield.

Thanks for the advice! I swapped out the Horseshoe for the Charm of Myths, anyone have advice on weapons?

edit: cost me almost a platinum to get up to Guarding for my Lightening Boots, but rolled Warding on my first try for the Ankh Shield :cheers:

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Nov 2, 2013

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Now upgrade your Lightning Boots to Frostspark Boots and you'll be good.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Read posted:

Now upgrade your Lightning Boots to Frostspark Boots and you'll be good.

Well hello there :allears: Looks like I'm gonna be grinding a bit more. So much stuff that I didn't know existed!

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

GobiasIndustries posted:

I'm looking for advice on how to kill the Twins. I just finished crafting an Ankh Charm (used TEdit to convert 3 of the 4 extra Fast Clocks I had to the items I was missing because I've spent the past 12 game hours grinding for nothing), I've got Turtle Armor, the Cutlass from the pirate invasion and the piss book, and my other accessories are the mana flower, spectra boots, jungle wings & a horseshoe. Should I be looking at anything else, weapon or armor wise to get the job done?

Skybridge + lightning boots + megashark + crystal/ichor/chlorophyte bullets is my preferred method.

e: didn't realize there was another page

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009
Spectre armor, crystal storm, golden shower, mana flower makes it all easy.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Geomancing posted:

Sometimes Terraria has no sense of proportion. I was messing around, I'm in Cobalt armor, just doing organizing in my house. The sun rises.

A pirate invasion is approaching from the west!
A solar eclipse is happening!

... God damnit. So I run out of my house, two NPCs died before I got out of range, and skedaddle to my arena I built just that day that allowed me to stand above the floor on a platform and stab below with my Mushroom Spear. Stab stab stab, all day long. Got a broken blade, some banners, and this creepy springy eye pet. Night falls, the eclipse stops, and I go to fight the pirates who have thankfully just been waiting I guess. Fight them, taking tons of damage, trying to find a place to get out of LOS of the ranged enemies. Die, heal, run, lose two more NPCs. Fight all through the night. The sun rises.

A solar eclipse is happening!

Fuuuuuuuuck. Skedaddle back to my arena, repeat the previous day. Stab stab stab. Got another eye pet, another broken blade, and a Reaper Scythe that is so, so good. Finish off the day, run back, finish off the pirates finally.

Why are you complaining, there's a .04% (1/50 per day) chance of getting 2 consecutive solar eclipses, people would kill for that

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Hey if anyone's played Story of Red Cloud lately, where can I get a 3rd mirror? I got one under the village near the earth temple (first dungeon) and another not too long after (maybe the corruption temple?) but I haven't been able to find a 3rd. I just beat the jungle wyvern boss and didn't manage to find a third mirror yet.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Why are you complaining, there's a .04% (1/50 per day) chance of getting 2 consecutive solar eclipses, people would kill for that

0.04 is 2/50, or 1/25.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

RatHat posted:

0.04 is 2/50, or 1/25.

.04% = .0004

Read
Dec 21, 2010

0.016% chance to get two consecutive Solar Eclipses in two days. You multiply probabilities to compound them, so (1/25) * (1/25).

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Read posted:

0.016% chance to get two consecutive Solar Eclipses in two days. You multiply probabilities to compound them, so (1/25) * (1/25).

My bad, I thought it was a 1/50 chance per day not 1/25. It's still a really lucky thing to happen though, .016% is still retardedly small.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Nov 3, 2013

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

My bad, I thought it was a 1/50 chance per day not 1/25. It's still a really lucky thing to happen though, .016% is still retardedly small.

The event under consideration isn't two solar eclipses on two arbitrary days, but getting an eclipse the day after you just got one. That's just 1/25 (1/25 for the second, the first is ensured by assumption). Really not all that uncommon.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Male Man posted:

The event under consideration isn't two solar eclipses on two arbitrary days, but getting an eclipse the day after you just got one. That's just 1/25 (1/25 for the second, the first is ensured by assumption). Really not all that uncommon.

I'm sorry to continue this but I'm confused? I thought when calculating the chance of consecutive random events you multiply the probability of each event?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Probability doesn't factor much into the tedium of it though. Once you get all the drops you need/want from a solar eclipse, it can be a chore afterward and two in a row is just silly.

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

How that gun even works underwater I don't know, but I bet the answer is magic.
yeah since both events are independent of each other you just multiply them together to get the probability of both happening.

P(A and B) = P(A)*P(B)

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Male Man posted:

Oh yeah, you're right.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I'm sorry to continue this but I'm confused? I thought when calculating the chance of consecutive random events you multiply the probability of each event?

The probability of getting a Solar Eclipse, at all, ever, is 1, provided you met the pre-requisites. Since we're not concerned about when the two eclipses in a row occur, we multiply the chance of getting one at all (1) by the chance of getting one on a specific day - that is to say the day after (1/25). The answer being, of course, 1/25.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

So is there a glitch where blessing the world can create Tin instead of Titanium? Because I was having trouble finding it so I made a new world, got it to hardmode, broke like 15 altars, and I just used a spelunker potion across the entire bottom level and found tons of Cobalt, Orichalcum, and Tin, but not a single loving deposit of Titanium. Tin shouldn't spawn that far down in large numbers, should it? It's everywhere.

Andy Waltfeld
Dec 18, 2009

mr. mephistopheles posted:

So is there a glitch where blessing the world can create Tin instead of Titanium? Because I was having trouble finding it so I made a new world, got it to hardmode, broke like 15 altars, and I just used a spelunker potion across the entire bottom level and found tons of Cobalt, Orichalcum, and Tin, but not a single loving deposit of Titanium. Tin shouldn't spawn that far down in large numbers, should it? It's everywhere.

Copper, and by extension Tin, are just annoyingly omnipresent at all altitudes at worldgen. You're probably just dealing with all the Titanium deposits popping up in the large swaths of world you haven't explored due to speed-Hardmoding it, though I recommend breaking out a map viewer just to be sure.

Andy Waltfeld fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Nov 3, 2013

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Andy Waltfeld posted:

Copper, and by extension Tin, are just annoyingly omnipresent at all altitudes at worldgen. You're probably just dealing with all the Titanium deposits popping up in the large swaths of world you haven't explored due to speed-Hardmoding it, though I recommend breaking out a map viewer just to be sure.

Yeah, that's probably the case. I'm just frustrated because I can't manage to kill any hardmode bosses or upgrade my armor even though I've read of people doing it in like Necro armor.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Does anyone know what content is removed after the Halloween event ends? Can you no longer summon Pumpkin Moons? Because that would suck, it's a huge piece of content that I'm still struggling with. :(

I want to get everything before the event ends, but don't know what to focus on.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Jesto posted:

Does anyone know what content is removed after the Halloween event ends? Can you no longer summon Pumpkin Moons? Because that would suck, it's a huge piece of content that I'm still struggling with. :(

I want to get everything before the event ends, but don't know what to focus on.

You'll be able to get Pumpkin Moons after the event by crafting Pumpkin Medallions. They take pumpkins, Hallowed bars, and Ectoplasm to make. The Dryad or whoever will keep selling pumpkin seeds all the time after the event ends to let you grow your own.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

You'll be able to get Pumpkin Moons after the event by crafting Pumpkin Medallions. They take pumpkins, Hallowed bars, and Ectoplasm to make. The Dryad or whoever will keep selling pumpkin seeds all the time after the event ends to let you grow your own.

Thanks! So it's just goodie bags that vanish? Cauldrons?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Jesto posted:

I think so, but don't take my word for it.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Build up an NPC colony and player base - Check.
Kill Eye - Check.
Kill Skeletron - Check.
Kill Wall of Flesh - Check.
Kill Hardmode Bosses - Check.
Kill Plantera - Check.

Alright, it's been a long time coming in this world, but now: Kill Golem--

Oh.

Thanks, Redigit. :waycool:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Fixing that wasn't as important as gutting a fun and rare item, though.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Welcome to another situation where no one would mind if you cracked open TEdit, and placed a Golem Altar there.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

Fixing that wasn't as important as gutting a fun and rare item, though.

If you mean the Rod of Discord, '.nodebuff 88' with Terramod will disable the Chaos State debuff and let you tele as much as you want, just like before. I think it should work on servers too.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Read posted:

Terramod

Was not aware this was a thing. I'll have to look into it.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
How the hell do you handle post plantera dungeon? Suicide grind ectoplasm until you can make a spectre suit? Set up a trap room and try to lure enemies into it?

Chumppell
Nov 9, 2007

andrew smash posted:

How the hell do you handle post plantera dungeon? Suicide grind ectoplasm until you can make a spectre suit? Set up a trap room and try to lure enemies into it?

Go in guns-blazing until you meet a Paladin or a non-necro caster behind a wall. Mushroom spear the poo poo out of rear end in a top hat casters behind walls or just back the gently caress up when they show. Paladins are best dealt with on stairways. If your dungeon is a ton of open space, be real careful with Paladin sightlines and you should be fine. Ragged casters will probably always be annoying, but Necromancers are the woooorst before you have an Ankh, so bring piercing spells / weapons(golden shower if you had crimson, frost staff if you were lucky, a flamethrower, most of the chlorophyte melee weapons, mushroom spear again, golem heat ray, etc.). Have a charm of myths. Don't ever be directly horizontal or vertical in open view of a Paladin. If you start fighting a paladin, don't stop hitting him unless you can break line of sight or you will get hammered. Good luck!

edit: oh, and pay attention to background walls so you can remember what to watch out for where. Paladins won't be a problem unless it's the default dungeon wall (brick).

Chumppell fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Nov 3, 2013

Coach Sport
Jul 3, 2003
And we care about this shitty poster...why?
Megashark with crystal bullets is what I used for hardmode dungeon (until I got the tactical shotgun). I recommend ranged weapons and hanging out at chokepoints or high ground and keeping enemies knocked back.

Another good strategy is to build a hut at the top of the dungeon with a bed so you can comfortably teleport out when things start getting hectic without having to worry about running all the way back.

Also the puff from the Chlorophyte spear goes through walls too. IIRC Paladins can't open doors and tend to have a hard time jumping out of pits, usually I just poke them to death from absolute safety.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Jesto posted:

Yes, but it's based on your system clock so you can just set it to October to make them drop again.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008
I think my strategy was to luck into a room near the bottom that the enemies could come in from tunnels on the left and right, camp on a shelf on the wall beyond their reach (except for mages and paladins of course) and then just spam the megashark with chlorophyte bullets when they gathered below me. There also weren't any diabolists or ragged casters that far down, just necromancers, so I didn't have to worry about spell damage too much usually, just those drat paladin hammers that came flying in just off the screen. Skeleton commandos usually stopped in one of the tunnels and tried to shoot me only to have their rockets hit the tunnel ceiling.

I've obviously got better stuff now but I deliberately put my chlorophyte armor on and got the megashark to demonstrate. I'm not sure the accessories I had at the time except a jetpack, ranger emblem, and warding moon charm.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

andrew smash posted:

If you roll in with a bunch of minions and find a good spot you can farm it pretty easily.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Yeah, melee is sincerely the worst idea in the Hardmode Dungeon no matter what. You don't want to get anywhere NEAR the enemies, and most of them have means of taking you out at a distance anyway. Golden Shower and/or a Megashark with good enough bullets (Ichor, Chlorophyte, or Crystal usually) will typically keep things at bay long enough for you to get SOME ectoplasm or one of the dungeon magics (Inferno Fork, Shadowbeam Staff, or Magnet Sphere), and from there you should be fine for the most part. Just try to keep mobile; staying too long in one spot is asking to get ganked by a Skeleton Sniper or Diabolist.

^ Minion farming also works, I guess? :confuoot:

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
is there any decent pre-hardmode summoning gear?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

If there's anything one should take away from the advice given in this thread, it's Never Go Melee, Just Use Ranged Options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

padijun posted:

is there any decent pre-hardmode summoning gear?

The only pre-hardmode summoning item I'm aware of is the Slime Staff. And it's 8 damage. Also super rare.

• Locked thread