Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

what a world we live in, The Authorities have decided it's ok to use a mobile phone in flight, and yet I'm still not allowed to bring a cup of yogurt airside.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Nov 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCOTLAND
Feb 26, 2004
I have left my phone on numerous times while flying by accident, and each time I've noticed above 25000' or so I have had no signal. When I used to fly King Airs, we had CDMA company phones and those things did work up to around 23000' but we were flying far slower.

Not sure if IPhones are magic but I don't see much of a change unless cell technology changes too.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Well, no cell phone use helps cut down on passengers who talk on theirs constantly. But in other annoyances, as much as I love the increase in IFE, the lack of arm rest controls leads to having the back of your seat tapped through the flight. The games are the worst...

Here's how a washer destroyed a 737:
http://lessonslearned.faa.gov/ChinaAirlines120/ChinaAirlines120_Downstop_pop_up.htm
http://lessonslearned.faa.gov/ChinaAirlines120/ChinaAirlines120_Evacuation_pop_up.htm

China Airlines Downstop Failure Animation Audio Transcript posted:

On August 20, 2007, a Boeing 737-800 operated by China Airlines departed from Taiwan and had an uneventful flight to Naha Airport, Okinawa, Japan. The 737-800 employs a high-lift system that includes leading-edge slats which enhance takeoff and landing performance.

These slats move on tracks which retract into the wing-leading edge until contact with a downstop assembly. When retracted, the slat tracks are stored in housings which are only large enough to accommodate the slat track. The track housing itself is an integrated part of the wing fuel tank and extends through the front spar into the main fuel tank.

Approximately a month prior to the accident, the No. 5 slat-can had been inspected and reworked in accordance with a fleet-wide Boeing service letter. It was believed by investigators that a washer had been omitted during reassembly, following this maintenance activity. The bolt assembly can be seen here as part of the downstop. The washer was intended to prevent the bolt assembly from passing through the downstop, since the nut is smaller than the hole in the downstop assembly.

Investigators believed that at sometime between the earlier maintenance action and this flight, the bolt assembly migrated out of the downstop assembly and fell into the slat track housing. With the bolt assembly lying inside the track housing, upon slat retraction, the track pushed the bolt assembly through the bottom of the housing, penetrating the main fuel tank, which resulted in a fuel tank breach. Leaking fuel migrated to the leading edge of the wing and was carried aft by airflow during airplane taxi. This photo was taken from the penetrated fuel tank after the accident occurred. As shown, the entire bolt assembly was driven into the fuel tank.

After arriving at the designated parking position, leaking fuel began pooling beneath the aircraft. Ground personnel observed this leaking fuel coming from the right side of the aircraft and immediately contacted the flight crew via the cockpit interphone system advising them of the situation.

During taxi, and while the engine was still running at idle, leaking fuel was not able to reach the hot engine tailpipe or brakes as the cool engine fan exhaust prevented fuel migration to these hot areas. Upon engine shutdown, the fuel was able to drip onto the tailpipe of the engine and onto the hot brakes, resulting in ignition. Flames then quickly spread back to the aircraft, which was eventually completely destroyed by the fire.

The airplane was successfully evacuated at the first indication of fire. There were no fatalities or serious injuries. The first picture shows the aircraft during the fire. The second picture shows the No. 5 slat track housing following the fire.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Lucky that happened on the ground. I'm glad nobody was hurt. It's also a bit ironic that shutting off the engine actually allowed the fire to start.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

CharlesM posted:

Lucky that happened on the ground. I'm glad nobody was hurt. It's also a bit ironic that shutting off the engine actually allowed the fire to start.

I must say that dude trying to stop the fire hydrant made me laugh... Yeah that'll stop a few thousand litres of petrol from burning. Plus he's just waving it randomly, not even aiming at flames. He was lucky he wasn't standing there a few more seconds when it exploded...

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I was just reading the training manual about fuel leaks and how they're only noticeable in flight by doing flight plan checks vs. actual readings. I wonder if it would have been better in flight, given that whatever fuel lost wouldn't have had detriment to the total flight. Airflow and engine exhaust would have just taken the leaked fuel away. If a short enough flight and enough leaked out to be noticed but no longer keep seeping out once on the ground to then get on the brakes/engine maybe it wouldn't have caught fire. But that's a lot of perfect variables that never quite line up.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Im kinda surprised that it took over 3 minutes for the fire trucks to arrive- you'd expect that as soon as someone says "Fuel leak" they'd be notified and be on scene as the aircraft was pulled up- If they had been there earlier there wouldnt have been anywhere near the level of flamage.

brains
May 12, 2004

SyHopeful posted:

I'd love for either of you to do a semi-layman's writeup of what's so innovative about the 787's bleedless architecture. I think most of us know that it's A Thing and that it helps to increase the fuel efficiency over a bleed air system, but what about it is well-engineered/thought out?

Basically, traditional turbine aircraft design (and by traditional I mean drat near every design for nearly 60 years is based on this) involves pneumatically-driven starter motors geared to the engine driveshaft. Bleed air, which is air siphoned from a turbine engine after it's been compressed, is used to drive the starters which in turn spins the driveshaft of the turbofan, drawing in air and causing enough compression to start. This bleed-air can come from the other engine, a start cart (on older designs), and most commonly from the APU.

Now, the bleed air drawn from the APU has to get to the engine starters, which on larger aircraft is a not-insignificant distance, so many designs use a compressor driven by the APU to give it that extra push to have enough pressure to crank the starters after traveling the hundred or so feet of ducting to the engines. This obviously adds quite a bit of weight and complexity to the engine start system. Also, since the whole thing basically boils down to having enough pressurized air to turn a motor fast enough to spool an engine, there is a lot of points of possible failure in the form of air leaks or stuck valves, etc., adding a lot of maintenance requirements.

The 787 gets around this by using engine-driven electrical generators as the starters, eliminating the need for any external bleed air, and therefore all of the associated ducting, valves, and compressors. The generator, which normally is turned by the engine, uses power from another source to instead spool the engine driveshaft just like a pneumatic starter would. The generator gets its power from another engine, ground power, or the APU. Sound familiar? And where does the APU get power from to start? The giant lithium batteries that like to catch on fire occasionally (or ground power). No bleed air necessary at all, which saves a ton of weight and increases the efficiency of the turbines since they don't have a parasitic loss of compressed air anymore (to a point).

The reason no one thought of doing this before was because generators simply were not powerful enough and would be far too large if they were. On a 767, it takes an entire turbofan engine to drive a single 120kva generator. On the 787, the APU alone has 2 225 kva generators, and each engine has 2 250 kva generators. The plane generates almost 1.5 megawatts when it flies. Yes, megawatts. That's why I said it's a natural platform for AEW or AWACS. There's so much power available that Boeing got inventive with lots of systems that, again, traditionally would be non-electric. The brakes, for example, are entirely electric, with no hydraulics at all. The only thing bleed air is used for is engine inlet anti-ice, and that's because it's relatively small impact on engine efficiency and there are some aerodynamic benefits involved.

There's a few more gee-whiz details involved, especially with the power distribution system and the variable-output generators, but that pretty much covers it for the basics.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Ferremit posted:

Im kinda surprised that it took over 3 minutes for the fire trucks to arrive- you'd expect that as soon as someone says "Fuel leak" they'd be notified and be on scene as the aircraft was pulled up- If they had been there earlier there wouldnt have been anywhere near the level of flamage.

There was also some controversy at the time regarding the flight crew's reluctance to order an evacuation of the passengers. Apparently it took them several minutes to determine that 1) The plane was on fire, and 2) Evacuating was a prudent measure.

brains posted:

The 787 gets around this by using engine-driven electrical generators as the starters, eliminating the need for any external bleed air, and therefore all of the associated ducting, valves, and compressors. The generator, which normally is turned by the engine, uses power from another source to instead spool the engine driveshaft just like a pneumatic starter would. The generator gets its power from another engine, ground power, or the APU. Sound familiar? And where does the APU get power from to start? The giant lithium batteries that like to catch on fire occasionally (or ground power). No bleed air necessary at all, which saves a ton of weight and increases the efficiency of the turbines since they don't have a parasitic loss of compressed air anymore (to a point).

APUs starting from aircraft battery power are pretty typical right? Nothing about that portion of this process in the 787 is unique? Or is it an especially large APU compared to other airliners?

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Nov 2, 2013

Mistayke
May 7, 2003

two_beer_bishes posted:

I know what you mean, I lived right by JFK (I could see the approach lights from my kitchen) in Howard Beach until April when I moved to Long Island. The biggest things out of ISP are the SWA 737s; I really miss the big stuff at JFK!

That's where I live! Lenny's Clam Bar 4LYFE!

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

I AM A CHEAPSKATE WHO HAS HAD THE STUPID NEWBIE BABY AVATAR FOR 12 YEARS.

Mistayke posted:

I live within close proximity to JFK Airport over here in Queens, NY. And during the late afternoon, I saw my first A380 taking off. It couldn't have been more than a thousand feet off the ground.

It literally made people stop and stare. The sound was unmistakable. I've never heard an aircraft sound like this, so it made me look up and there it was. This massive beast slowly lifting in to the air. It was like a religious experience.

I live right on the approach path to Heathrow airport (Brixton, if you're curious) and the A380s are the quietest airplanes I've (n)ever heard.

The 737s are fire-breathing monsters in comparison.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

brains posted:

[very well said 787 :words:]

There's a few more gee-whiz details involved, especially with the power distribution system and the variable-output generators, but that pretty much covers it for the basics.

Excellent description, much better than what I would have come up with.

The Ferret King posted:

APUs starting from aircraft battery power are pretty typical right? Nothing about that portion of this process in the 787 is unique? Or is it an especially large APU compared to other airliners?

The clever bit there, as brains hinted at, is in the power distribution network. Firstly, because of the way the AC busses are powered, you can and actually will start the APU using external power, which is different. If it's a totally dead aircraft, when you start off battery, it takes the DC battery voltage and inverts it to 115VAC and puts it onto the 235VAC bus that inputs into the CSMC which drives the APU starter/generator...lemme back up...
CSMCs are these high power devices that get power from the 235VAC bus, (which is rectified to +/-270VDC), and use that +/-270VDC to drive all the high power loads like hydraulic pumps, air conditioning, engine start, and a few other things. (they can vary the voltage and frequency of that 270V however they need to turn motors)
So you're starting off battery, and you're feeding the transformers that feed the CSMCs 115VAC instead of the usual 235VAC. Well that works out to be about half, so you end up turning the starter/generator half speed.
Because external power, even though it's also 115VAC, powers the 235VAC busses fully, you get a full speed start off external.
I'd love to post a picture of the electrical system synoptic, but there's a chance I'd get in trouble for it so I'd rather not for now.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Ferremit posted:

Adding to what Ferret King said, the fuel leak wasn't noticed until the ground crew spotted it after the aircraft parked and idled it's engines. The air crew were completely oblivious to it prior to, as it just happened on the taxi way. So either way, the aircraft will have arrived before the ground emergency crews.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Linedance posted:

The clever bit there, as brains hinted at, is in the power distribution network. Firstly, because of the way the AC busses are powered, you can and actually will start the APU using external power, which is different. If it's a totally dead aircraft, when you start off battery, it takes the DC battery voltage and inverts it to 115VAC and puts it onto the 235VAC bus that inputs into the CSMC which drives the APU starter/generator...lemme back up...
CSMCs are these high power devices that get power from the 235VAC bus, (which is rectified to +/-270VDC), and use that +/-270VDC to drive all the high power loads like hydraulic pumps, air conditioning, engine start, and a few other things. (they can vary the voltage and frequency of that 270V however they need to turn motors)
So you're starting off battery, and you're feeding the transformers that feed the CSMCs 115VAC instead of the usual 235VAC. Well that works out to be about half, so you end up turning the starter/generator half speed.
Because external power, even though it's also 115VAC, powers the 235VAC busses fully, you get a full speed start off external.
I'd love to post a picture of the electrical system synoptic, but there's a chance I'd get in trouble for it so I'd rather not for now.
What's the distribution voltage? Does it use aluminum cabling with conventional insulation, or something more exotic? Isn't all that cabling really heavy at 120/235V?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

grover posted:

What's the distribution voltage? Does it use aluminum cabling with conventional insulation, or something more exotic? Isn't all that cabling really heavy at 120/235V?

it's a modular sort of architecture, so instead of running a power wire out to everything that needs it from lets say the forward E+E, the main power stuff for heavy users is in the aft E+E, close to the loads. Power is also run to remote power distribution units all over the aircraft, which in turn distribute to the loads. So in reality although the power cables might be bigger, there's a hell of a lot less of them. Add to that everything communicating on databuses, and you don't need anywhere near the amount of discretes either. (This bit isn't so much revolutionary, as Embraer and the a380 do similar things).

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Polymerized Cum posted:

Sometimes. Other times not.

Hahaha, my best friend is a pilot in Alaska and at one point he called me (I live in Portland) from roughly 10,000ft while flying a C208 around Mt. McKinley. We had a clear if noisy conversation. Technology, man.

brains posted:

Basically, traditional turbine aircraft design (and by traditional I mean drat near every design for nearly 60 years is based on this) involves pneumatically-driven starter motors geared to the engine driveshaft. Bleed air, which is air siphoned from a turbine engine after it's been compressed, is used to drive the starters which in turn spins the driveshaft of the turbofan, drawing in air and causing enough compression to start. This bleed-air can come from the other engine, a start cart (on older designs), and most commonly from the APU.

Now, the bleed air drawn from the APU has to get to the engine starters, which on larger aircraft is a not-insignificant distance, so many designs use a compressor driven by the APU to give it that extra push to have enough pressure to crank the starters after traveling the hundred or so feet of ducting to the engines. This obviously adds quite a bit of weight and complexity to the engine start system. Also, since the whole thing basically boils down to having enough pressurized air to turn a motor fast enough to spool an engine, there is a lot of points of possible failure in the form of air leaks or stuck valves, etc., adding a lot of maintenance requirements.

The reason no one thought of doing this before was because generators simply were not powerful enough and would be far too large if they were. On a 767, it takes an entire turbofan engine to drive a single 120kva generator. On the 787, the APU alone has 2 225 kva generators, and each engine has 2 250 kva generators. The plane generates almost 1.5 megawatts when it flies. Yes, megawatts. That's why I said it's a natural platform for AEW or AWACS. There's so much power available that Boeing got inventive with lots of systems that, again, traditionally would be non-electric. The brakes, for example, are entirely electric, with no hydraulics at all. The only thing bleed air is used for is engine inlet anti-ice, and that's because it's relatively small impact on engine efficiency and there are some aerodynamic benefits involved.

Thank you! I do remember watching a lot of those jet engine detail videos on YouTube and I've used GPUs/Start carts as a line service tech for a couple of years, so this all makes a lot of sense. 1.5 megawatts, jesus.

SyHopeful fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Nov 2, 2013

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Mistayke posted:

That's where I live! Lenny's Clam Bar 4LYFE!

Lenny's and New Park pizza I miss terribly. The food in LI is god awful compared to even what is in HB!

PatrickBateman
Jul 26, 2007

Linedance posted:

Google image serach 787 VFSG. Theres quite a bit out there thanks to the battery issue.

There is so much in the electrical system on this airplane. Makes troubleshooting engine not starting difficult sometimes.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Polymerized Cum posted:

Sometimes. Other times not.

I had a couple of bars at 30k feet in a C-17 as we crossed from Canada into the US near the Great Lakes, and followed our progress on the map. Signal strength wasn't a problem.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
Some charts & info on the 787 electrical system in this pdf: http://dibley.eu.com/documents/B787SystemsandPerf-GeorgeBeyle-31mar09.pdf

Godholio posted:

I had a couple of bars at 30k feet in a C-17 as we crossed from Canada into the US near the Great Lakes, and followed our progress on the map. Signal strength wasn't a problem.
You can still show bars but not be able to make/receive a call. Were you able to use data?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I turned on the FM radio on my iPod Nano last year somewhere over Chicago at cruise altitude and amazingly I was able to pick up stations.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
My airline nightmare is having someone yelling to their friends and family every 45 minutes, "hey I got a bar, check if yours has any more! Maybe we can call ahead and tell them we're going to arrive at the exact time the airline posted!". It's bad enough trying to go to sleep with someone furiously tapping on their smartphone with the "clinking" still enabled and cranked to max, but having to deal with regular poo poo that I hear on buses, trains and subways would be loving hell for +12 hours.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I uploaded the first video I mentioned earlier, it's the F-5 Freedom Fighter doc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMhByYUPfYA

If any of you guys are interested in seeing the rest, I'll start working on them later.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

grover posted:

Some charts & info on the 787 electrical system in this pdf: http://dibley.eu.com/documents/B787SystemsandPerf-GeorgeBeyle-31mar09.pdf
You can still show bars but not be able to make/receive a call. Were you able to use data?

Enough to follow us on the map app on an old iphone 3G. It was only when I held the phone up to the window that I could get anything, though.

D C posted:

I turned on the FM radio on my iPod Nano last year somewhere over Chicago at cruise altitude and amazingly I was able to pick up stations.

If you think about it, you're only 6 miles up or so.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Q_res posted:

I uploaded the first video I mentioned earlier, it's the F-5 Freedom Fighter doc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMhByYUPfYA

If any of you guys are interested in seeing the rest, I'll start working on them later.

Of course! do it

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Well, does anyone have a preference for which one I do next? I've got F-84 Thunderjet, F-86 Sabre, F-104 Starfighter and F-105 Thunderchief. I'll probably do one tomorrow, maybe one sometime during this week and then next weekend finish off the last two.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

Q_res posted:

Well, does anyone have a preference for which one I do next? I've got F-84 Thunderjet, F-86 Sabre, F-104 Starfighter and F-105 Thunderchief. I'll probably do one tomorrow, maybe one sometime during this week and then next weekend finish off the last two.

I vote -84 or -104.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Q_res posted:

-104, then -105.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Q_res posted:

F-105, then F-84.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Visited Warner Robins Air Museum during Guard Weekend, been meaning to do it, glad I did.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

CommieGIR posted:

Visited Warner Robins Air Museum during Guard Weekend, been meaning to do it, glad I did.

What the hell am I looking at here?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Goddamn that 707 is regal as gently caress.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Some kind of drone or missile in front of a Jolly Green, it looks like.

Loving those camel marks on the Spectre, though.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

A Ryan Firebee target/reconnaissance drone, parked in front of an HH-3 Jolly Green Giant.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Fuuuck I passed this three times and normally I'm a continent away. Coulda woulda shoulda.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

D C posted:

ADFs operate in the same frequency range as AM radios. During training we didn't have any NDB's nearby but we needed to practice ADF work so we used the local AM station as a navaid. The station had a bunch of those bashit crazy conservative radio hosts, I'm suprised they never talked about all the airplanes circling their station monitoring their "beacon of truth."

You can also use them to "listen" to lightning which is pretty bad rear end when you're flying next to a line of storms at night and the lightning syncs up to the static.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

KodiakRS posted:

ADFs operate in the same frequency range as AM radios. During training we didn't have any NDB's nearby but we needed to practice ADF work so we used the local AM station as a navaid. The station had a bunch of those bashit crazy conservative radio hosts, I'm suprised they never talked about all the airplanes circling their station monitoring their "beacon of truth."

You can also use them to "listen" to lightning which is pretty bad rear end when you're flying next to a line of storms at night and the lightning syncs up to the static.

The AM band has a much, much longer range than the FM band.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Space Gopher posted:

A Ryan Firebee target/reconnaissance drone, parked in front of an HH-3 Jolly Green Giant.

Ah, okay. Thanks. It's been a long day here and I stared and stared at that image trying to make sense of it.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

holocaust bloopers posted:

Goddamn that 707 is regal as gently caress.

I'm thinking that may actually be a C-135. The door is in the wrong place for a 707.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Ah, okay. Thanks. It's been a long day here and I stared and stared at that image trying to make sense of it.

Yeah for a second it looked like some really hosed up helicopter.