Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Nomnom Cookie posted:

ssh to the remote machine and run it locally in ur remote shell.

i'm doing that, you're meant to use a special artisanal command to run the program and it's not there. like there aren't man pages for it or anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
look at the source code it should 'document itself'

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
just read the last 4 pages and PISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

reverse version of this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmM_xDzy2nU

how do you guys feel about SA being written in PHP?

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
i often wish someone would exploit a php vulnerability and delete SA so im ok with it

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

dur posted:

i wrote a qa tool for this telecom conversion project. the code is probably very bad (because it is python) but it works and it even creates point feature error flags and a log file and everything just like our grown-up qa tools do.

i finished this thing finally.

http://pastebin.com/8e8twexu

i think it turned out ok but there are probably better ways i could have done things.

Elder Postsman fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 31, 2013

rsjr
Nov 2, 2002

yay for protoss being so simple that retards can win with it
i spent all day giving nodejs a try. it sucked.

i wanted to make something that would let me submit urls, it'd snapshot it using phantomjs and add it to a big pdf i could download. mainly so i could add all the 100s of links to individual chapters of the feynman lectures on physics into one big rear end pdf. and things like documentation for projects that don't provide a pdf so i can read it offline.

instead i spent 3 hours writing grunt tasks so my express app would copy files to the right places and a million other workflow things instead of actually writing code. npm is a wasteland of poo poo too!!

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Facebook was created for people to communicate easier and that's all it was meant to be. Zuckerberg created a space for people to share & communicated, what the users of Facebook do on it was not influenced by him. He gave them a canvas and they filled it up with THEIR content.
There is absolutely no reason to hate him. That's like hating your God because he created the Earth for humans, or hating a carpenter because he built a house for someone.

Plastic Snake
Mar 2, 2005
For Halloween or scaring people.
source your quotes

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

BONGHITZ posted:

Facebook was created for people to communicate easier and that's all it was meant to be. Zuckerberg created a space for people to share & communicated, what the users of Facebook do on it was not influenced by him. He gave them a canvas and they filled it up with THEIR content.
There is absolutely no reason to hate him. That's like hating your God because he created the Earth for humans, or hating a carpenter because he built a house for someone.

this isn't a particualrly wrong opinion in the context of "everyone on facebook and by extension this lovely lame-rear end earth is wack as heck"

lol @ the whole startup culture but that code video is legit. code is legos with google as the instruciton manual

(copy other people's good code (lego models) and steal it and make your own lovely version that will fall apart the second u touch it)

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

rsjr posted:

i spent all day giving nodejs a try. it sucked.

i wanted to make something that would let me submit urls, it'd snapshot it using phantomjs and add it to a big pdf i could download. mainly so i could add all the 100s of links to individual chapters of the feynman lectures on physics into one big rear end pdf. and things like documentation for projects that don't provide a pdf so i can read it offline.

instead i spent 3 hours writing grunt tasks so my express app would copy files to the right places and a million other workflow things instead of actually writing code. npm is a wasteland of poo poo too!!

use java, seriously. libraries libraries libraries

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

use a plang for your dumb glue code scraping proejcts or whatever its good for that sorta stuff. python + beatufiul soup if ur gonna web scrape

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

is java any good for like dumb toy projects or whatever it seems like it'd be painful

i'd suggest c# but its a bit annoying with scraping and things i guess java might have good libs

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
if its truly a toy project, use something like ruby or python

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

nothing compares to the productivity of using other peoples' code for the heavy lifting. u try to do a toy project in a p-lang and three weeks later you have a diy pdf generator. use java and you were done three weeks ago

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
there are definitely pdf generators for plangs

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

lovely ones that started as diy poo poo for a toy project and woe unto those with differing use cases from the author

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if you need a gui use c# otherwise java is good cause everything has already been done for you.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Nomnom Cookie posted:

nothing compares to the productivity of using other peoples' code for the heavy lifting. u try to do a toy project in a p-lang and three weeks later you have a diy pdf generator. use java and you were done three weeks ago

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

is java any good for like dumb toy projects or whatever it seems like it'd be painful

i'd suggest c# but its a bit annoying with scraping and things i guess java might have good libs

if java is too much effort, pick up scala or groovy

all the java library access, all of the great java tools, none of the verbosity

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

theyre basically jplangs

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

ruby is fine for toy stuff if you stick to the libs out there which are universally agreed upon to be good

(there aren't all that many)

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

Bloody posted:

theyre basically jplangs

fianlyl, a language family named after my initials

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

can you use jython for python + java libs?

I know jython is a thing but I have no idea how good or poo poo it is compared to real python (or how good the interop with other jvm stuff is)

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
i thought ruby was the jplang?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
don't use python or ruby in any form

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Shaggar posted:

don't use python or ruby in any form

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Plastic Snake posted:

source your quotes

lol, gently caress off!

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

nrook posted:

can you use jython for python + java libs?

I know jython is a thing but I have no idea how good or poo poo it is compared to real python (or how good the interop with other jvm stuff is)

jython and jruby are both much faster than their originals (particularly jruby), but they make lots of compromises to be compatible with upstream. They are really "fast python" and "fast ruby" and java compat is kinda bolted on

Scala and groovy were designed for java interop and ease of use from day one, so java interop is so smooth as to be seamless.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

gucci void main posted:

ruby is fine for toy stuff if you stick to the libs out there which are universally agreed upon to be good

(there aren't all that many)

Sulk you gotta learn a j-lang and get to grips with maven/Jenkins/nexus before you spout off like this

It's not that p-langs or their libraries are intrinsically bad, it's all the supporting infrastructure that sucks. Failure to distinguish source from artifacts. Lack of quality build/test/deployment tools. Second rate debuggers.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
yeah like you need a high quality debugger when you can REPL

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

Sulk you gotta learn a j-lang and get to grips with maven/Jenkins/nexus before you spout off like this

It's not that p-langs or their libraries are intrinsically bad, it's all the supporting infrastructure that sucks. Failure to distinguish source from artifacts. Lack of quality build/test/deployment tools. Second rate debuggers.

i probably should have said 'gems' instead of libs but ruby's main problem is that its community is loaded full of the same poo poo rewritten over and over and not that many singular great solution libs. a good example is with the testing frameworks, which are almost all poo poo. holy gently caress rspec is bad. to be fair, that may sort of go right into the infrastructure point you brought up. oh and also 99% of the gem names are loving dumb.

i'd do a jlang if i cared enough but i have poo poo going on and don't have a pressing need to. i don't really have any reason to write for ios or anything even though i'm familiar enough with objc. maybe if i had an ipad again i would care, but honestly i know i wouldn't.

w/e programming sucks

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
fulk

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

id kwhat the difference between source and artifact is

ones like a mtg card or something i guess?

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

yeah idk. im phone typing and tired and need to go to sleep

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

yeah like you need a high quality debugger when you can REPL

i demand both

ideally i should be able to switch from a debug prompt to a repl but that's asking for a lot

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i demand both

ideally i should be able to switch from a debug prompt to a repl but that's asking for a lot

RubyMotion can do this (too bad it's terrible)

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

i wrote a rails app today from scratch with a bunch of d3 and slickgrid and my plangs suited my needs quite well.

Plastic Snake
Mar 2, 2005
For Halloween or scaring people.

echinopsis posted:

lol, gently caress off!

i honestly thought it was a quote , didnt mean to offend, sorry, god bless

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

gucci void main posted:

i probably should have said 'gems' instead of libs but ruby's main problem is that its community is loaded full of the same poo poo rewritten over and over and not that many singular great solution libs. a good example is with the testing frameworks, which are almost all poo poo. holy gently caress rspec is bad. to be fair, that may sort of go right into the infrastructure point you brought up. oh and also 99% of the gem names are loving dumb.

i'd do a jlang if i cared enough but i have poo poo going on and don't have a pressing need to. i don't really have any reason to write for ios or anything even though i'm familiar enough with objc. maybe if i had an ipad again i would care, but honestly i know i wouldn't.

w/e programming sucks

ruby has bad frameworks and bad libraries and bad infrastructure and a bad community and its a bad language. don't use it

objc is kind of dead cause ios is post-peak-apps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

would it be a bad idea to learn erlang for fucks

• Locked thread