Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Do we have a handle on exactly what causes late-game slowdown? Too many living characters, too many dead ones? Something else that could potentially be addressed? It's ~1260 now in a game that I'd like to play to the end, or at least near the end, and then export, but it's proceeding so painfully slowly that I wouldn't be able to stand it. Nobody ever put together a savegame trimmer for CK2, did they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Why would you use anything but pinyin in this day and age?

If you are an old and distinguished historian, you are likely old enough to be stuck in your ways and not change. Burton Watson was a fantastic guy but still uses Wade-Giles, I posted in he Historian Thread about sending him a professional letter explaining him why this is bad and he should stop but I learned he was 88 and honestly I'm fine with deciding gently caress it he is old and a brilliant scholar and future people just need to stop using Wade-Giles.

I have been writting a paper and so far have like four copies of different classic works due to Wade-Giles and the fine art of translation and fuckkkkkkk.

catlord posted:

I got a copy of Three Kingdoms, in two volumes, for like, $60. I had to buy a different copy when I discovered that the copy I got was in Wade-Giles and I didn't figure out I was reading about the main characters until I was checking a character list online and couldn't find the names in the book. So, the answer should be nobody, but it isn't.

I, for the record, would love a CK2 spin-off set in Asia from 867-1453 that you could transfer to EU4.

I would attempt to make this myself if not for the fact I suck at most things and how complicated and awesome this would be. Paradox should really get some people to make this because it honestly is very similar to their current game of CK2 but different enough that it could be their own game. If not for the fact China has been very anti-alternative history it would be very cool to make the game and it would probably sell like loving hot cakes in China if it could be sold.

"Dear Paradox, Kickstart this please or something. Thanks."

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Rapdawg posted:

If you are an old and distinguished historian, you are likely old enough to be stuck in your ways and not change. Burton Watson was a fantastic guy but still uses Wade-Giles, I posted in he Historian Thread about sending him a professional letter explaining him why this is bad and he should stop but I learned he was 88 and honestly I'm fine with deciding gently caress it he is old and a brilliant scholar and future people just need to stop using Wade-Giles.

I have been writting a paper and so far have like four copies of different classic works due to Wade-Giles and the fine art of translation and fuckkkkkkk.

I would attempt to make this myself if not for the fact I suck at most things and how complicated and awesome this would be. Paradox should really get some people to make this because it honestly is very similar to their current game of CK2 but different enough that it could be their own game. If not for the fact China has been very anti-alternative history it would be very cool to make the game and it would probably sell like loving hot cakes in China if it could be sold.

"Dear Paradox, Kickstart this please or something. Thanks."

Bit of a derail, but could you please explain to me why letters stop making the right sounds when they're used to transcribe Chinese words? Because this letter right here: "Q" makes a "K" sound, not a loving "Ch" sound. And "X" makes a "ks" sound, not loving "sh".

Is it purely for exotic flavour, or do foreign words written to be pronounced in English look too imperialistic?

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

DStecks posted:

Bit of a derail, but could you please explain to me why letters stop making the right sounds when they're used to transcribe Chinese words? Because this letter right here: "Q" makes a "K" sound, not a loving "Ch" sound. And "X" makes a "ks" sound, not loving "sh".

Is it purely for exotic flavour, or do foreign words written to be pronounced in English look too imperialistic?

Wade-Giles does this a lot which is why the work pronounced Daodejing is translated as the Tao Te Ching. Romanization is difficult because you are taking symbols and making them into Roman (Latin) Script and this is difficult and easy to gently caress up. Why was something pronounced Dao De Jing translated as Tao Te Ching meaning that T sounds had to be D and Ch had to be J? I don't know but I hate all that poo poo.

For reference Pinyin, the official standard held by China and internationally, translates the Daodejing as Dàodéjīng which makes a lot more sense to me.

In the end I don't know but I have a lot of hate for doing research for a paper and finding 5 different names for one loving guy.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Rapdawg posted:

Wade-Giles does this a lot which is why the work pronounced Daodejing is translated as the Tao Te Ching. Romanization is difficult because you are taking symbols and making them into Roman (Latin) Script and this is difficult and easy to gently caress up. Why was something pronounced Dao De Jing translated as Tao Te Ching meaning that T sounds had to be D and Ch had to be J? I don't know but I hate all that poo poo.

For reference Pinyin, the official standard held by China and internationally, translates the Daodejing as Dàodéjīng which makes a lot more sense to me.

In the end I don't know but I have a lot of hate for doing research for a paper and finding 5 different names for one loving guy.

Yeah, but those examples are pretty reasonable. Taking the varying phonemes and accents into account, it could be hard to pick between D and T, or between J and Ch, because even in spoken English those sounds often blur.

I'm asking who the hell decided that Q makes a Ch sound when transcribing Chinese words, and why?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

uh zip zoom posted:

I'm playing my first byzantium game, with a 9th-century start. I've acquired four of the five duchies I need to mend the schism, with only Jerusalem remaining. That said, I have a few questions:

1: when should I start creating kingdoms?

2: What happens when the schism is actually mended?

3: once I mend the schism, how much harder is it to restore the Roman Empire?

4: My first born in the purple heir died early, but his son is a genius with several other awesome attributes. My second born (and current heir) ITP has no children. Should I get to stabbing until the genius is my current heir, or try to ride out the succession crises?

5: should I move my capital to Rome? What would be the benefits and costs of doing such a thing? Would I lose my cataphracts?

Stabbing your children is Gamey and dumb.

DStecks posted:

Yeah, but those examples are pretty reasonable. Taking the varying phonemes and accents into account, it could be hard to pick between D and T, or between J and Ch, because even in spoken English those sounds often blur.

I'm asking who the hell decided that Q makes a Ch sound when transcribing Chinese words, and why?

Because it's a different sound to "ch"

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Cantorsdust posted:

Titles in the hands of family increases your total dynasty prestige, and family will generally like you more as vassals than random people would. Still, if all your family are claimants and you think they would start poo poo, pick someone of the same religion/culture as you who's either young or has kids. That way the county is more stable.

Whenever I needed to get rid of a title and there wasn't a suitable dynasty member waiting in the wings, I've always done well by sorting my courtiers by opinion and then giving the title to the unlanded noble of my culture/religion who likes me the most and isn't ambitious or anything.

zyang31
Oct 26, 2007
If I can't find a dynasty member to give land to, I'll try to find an old, lowborn courier with no kids and marry him off to someone equally as old. That way, you'll be the heir and he's unlikely to have any kids of his own. With any luck, another member of your dynasty will be born before your old guy kicks the bucket.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
I have even more questions. How should I handle marrying off family? I am especially curious about female members of the family.

How important is it when the game warns you about the loss of prestige?

For example, My eldest daughter is Midas Touched and I would like to marry her off matrilineally so I can use her to tutor children but I haven't been able to find anyone who will marry matrilineally without getting a warning about prestige loss.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Knuc If U Buck posted:

What if you're cruel and wroth? Or if you're zealous and wroth and your child inexplicably converts? Or other role-play-ey reasons?

I once castrated my own son, because I was really worried about him potentially breeding.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I'm lame because I can't quite do human sacrifice or stabbiness even though war is fine :/

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Rapdawg posted:

For the unfamiliar, what's so horrible about Wade-Giles?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Spaseman posted:

I have even more questions. How should I handle marrying off family? I am especially curious about female members of the family.

How important is it when the game warns you about the loss of prestige?

For example, My eldest daughter is Midas Touched and I would like to marry her off matrilineally so I can use her to tutor children but I haven't been able to find anyone who will marry matrilineally without getting a warning about prestige loss.

Marry close females off for marriage alliances, unless they're high in the line of succession, then matrilinelly marry them to someone with good stats. Marriage alliances are waaaaaay more important than making a steward tutor.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Prestige is literally as meaningful as you want it to be.

It's one half of how the game determines "score", the other half being Piety. The question you have to ask yourself is "Am I playing for score?"

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Veryslightlymad posted:

It's one half of how the game determines "score", the other half being Piety. The question you have to ask yourself is "Am I playing for score?"

It also adds a relationship modifier to your vassals and is used for creating titles among other things. It's important fullstop.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Also doesn't score determine how much prestige someone gets when they marry into your dynasty, giving them a reason to do it?

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Veryslightlymad posted:

I also think it effects your demesne size? I took a prestige knock in an event once and my demesne size dropped and I had to give up a county.

PrinceRandom fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Nov 3, 2013

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Knuc If U Buck posted:

It also adds a relationship modifier to your vassals and is used for creating titles among other things. It's important fullstop.

The relationship modifier from prestige applies to everyone, whether or not they are your vassal. However, it also caps at 2000 prestige, which isn't hard to reach unless you're the ruler of a small, peaceful realm.

Dauntasa posted:

Also doesn't score determine how much prestige someone gets when they marry into your dynasty, giving them a reason to do it?

No. Dynasty Prestige does that. The only thing that increases Dynasty Prestige is when someone of your dynasty dies. When they die, they add points to dynasty prestige based on how many and the level of titles they held. Characters get a chunk of your Dynasty Prestige as actual prestige when they're born, and also get a chunk of their spouse's Dynasty Prestige when they marry (unless they're marrying into their own dynasty). NPCs prefer to marry into prestigious dynasties.

Even if you're playing for score, there's no reason to try and get prestige on dynasty members you have no intention of playing, unless you need them to be popular for some reason. Only characters you play add to your score, and only titles at time of death increase Dynasty Prestige.

PrinceRandom posted:

I also think it effects your demesne size? I took a prestige knock in an event once and my demesne size dropped and I had to give up a county.

The only things that affect demense size are your Stewardship, your (primary, if Muslim) spouse's Stewardship, your rank (megadukes, kings, and emperors get more), the level of Legalism tech in your capital, and whether or not your primary title is under Gavelkind succession.

Usually, if you lose demense size and it isn't clear why, you or your spouse lost Stewardship or your capital got moved.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Nov 3, 2013

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
You also get +1 demesne size for being a patrician.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

This is what happens when you go back to Tutorial Island after 300 hours with the game. That is the starting Earl of Dublin sitting on the throne of Britannia.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The worst thing is that the duchy of Orkney will now forever be de jure Norwegian.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Torrannor posted:

The worst thing is that the duchy of Orkney will now forever be de jure Norwegian.

Not if you attach it (the duchy) to a Brittanian kingdom (like Alba). It will de jure into it, and with it into Britannia.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Cease to Hope posted:

No. Dynasty Prestige does that. The only thing that increases Dynasty Prestige is when someone of your dynasty dies. When they die, they add points to dynasty prestige based on how many and the level of titles they held. Characters get a chunk of your Dynasty Prestige as actual prestige when they're born, and also get a chunk of their spouse's Dynasty Prestige when they marry (unless they're marrying into their own dynasty). NPCs prefer to marry into prestigious dynasties.

Not quite dynasty prestige is based on the number of tiles held by dynasty members including deceased ones. It works out the way you said but that's because the titles get passed down the line to another holder of the dynasty.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Knuc If U Buck posted:

I suppose this is true, but it builds at what I feel is too high of a rate. Unless your ruler is really, really new to holding titles, you should pretty much always have enough prestige to do anything you want it for.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Rumda posted:

Not quite dynasty prestige is based on the number of tiles held by dynasty members including deceased ones. It works out the way you said but that's because the titles get passed down the line to another holder of the dynasty.

You're right, I misremembered.

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules
My emperor is a pretty, pretty good tutor.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
SO I don't have any of the DLC (yet), but my heir's wife managed to get syphilis from out of nowhere and pass it to my heir. I thought that was only supposed to come from Sunset Invasion? Is this a bug?

Also, let me present the "lol diplomacy" dynasty!

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/720868005159817900/33EADBF97F41B59435E8ECDBD51290B1BD4777DD/ current heir when he was being trtored by my 30+ dip player.

Vassal levy penalties? What're those?

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Arbitrary Coin posted:

SO I don't have any of the DLC (yet), but my heir's wife managed to get syphilis from out of nowhere and pass it to my heir. I thought that was only supposed to come from Sunset Invasion? Is this a bug?

Everything in the DLCs is in the game code already, but unlocked for the player via DLC purchase. That's why you see AI republics and viking raids and stuff. Syphilis could be affecting the AI similarly and spread to your heir while he wasn't in your control, but I could be wrong.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Okay, here's something that's probably pretty obvious but I realized I didn't actually know the answer to-- do a tutor's actual stats matter, or just their education trait and other relevant traits (diligent, wroth, etc.)?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I'm pretty sure syphilis has always been in game as a regular disease.

The tutor's stats are checked against the child's to see if the child's increases each year, so a smart tutor will usually do great while a dummy will make a dummy.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011
It's still pretty contentious as to whether or not syphilis was an Americas-only disease, or if syphilis was just one of the many deadly eurasian plagues europeans had to deal with. There were plenty of cases of wasting diseases in Europe which could be interpreted as cases of syphilis now, but syphilis being A Recognized Thing didn't happen until the early modern era, long after the Columbian Exchange made its origins hard as hell to untangle. Regardless, it's been in the game since before Sunset Invasion came out.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Spiderfist Island posted:

It's still pretty contentious as to whether or not syphilis was an Americas-only disease, or if syphilis was just one of the many deadly eurasian plagues europeans had to deal with. There were plenty of cases of wasting diseases in Europe which could be interpreted as cases of syphilis now, but syphilis being A Recognized Thing didn't happen until the early modern era, long after the Columbian Exchange made its origins hard as hell to untangle. Regardless, it's been in the game since before Sunset Invasion came out.

Trying to establish exact pathology that far in the past is pointless given the completely different way of looking at illness in the middle ages. As far as I'm aware, what research has been done does suggest that syphilis in the form we now know it didn't emerge in Europe till after the Columbian Exchange based on characteristic deformities in skeletal remains etc that were present in the Americas beforehand but not in Europe till afterwards. The point is the 'great pox' that we now consider synonymous with syphilis could well have been any number of different sexually transmitted infections that were untreatable at the time - the 'medical' thought process of the time was significantly removed from what it is today - 'great pox' almost certainly referred to any condition that involved uncurable 'sores on your dick'. It's probably easier to just consider CK2 'great pox' as 'any venereal disease', rather than specifically syphilis.

e: On that note, is it possible to give your spouse/lover(/s) the great pox? I've not noticed it, but it would be quite cool if you could.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

Even if you're playing for score, there's no reason to try and get prestige on dynasty members you have no intention of playing, unless you need them to be popular for some reason. Only characters you play add to your score, and only titles at time of death increase Dynasty Prestige.

Play for dynasty prestige! There used to be a tool floating around that you could use on a savegame which would add up the prestige of every dynasty and give you rankings. It was pretty rad since if you play for dynasty prestige you have incentive to create huge familial clusterfucks out of your realm instead of the usual "find some guy sitting in a court, tell him he won the lottery" routine for handing out land.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

ThomasPaine posted:

e: On that note, is it possible to give your spouse/lover(/s) the great pox? I've not noticed it, but it would be quite cool if you could.

You can definitely pass it on to your children at least, I had a 1 year old daughter die of syphilis

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Sensitive Thugs Need Hugs

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Okay, then. Exactly which playstyle would you approve of for my first Byzantium game? :allears:

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
You only blind them, of course.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Another thing prestige does is reduce the gold cost of creating titles, though I think there is a limit to how low it can go, I haven't seen the cost for creating a duchy drop below 100 in ck2+.

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Riso posted:

You only blind them, of course.

I really wish I could respond with just an emoticon. :rolleyes: is just too appropriate.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

Knuc If U Buck posted:

I'm sure someone at some point in history decided that they wanted their kingdom to go to a younger, more competent heir and at least considered the possibility of stabbing within the family

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

uh zip zoom posted:

I really wish I could respond with just an emoticon. :rolleyes: is just too appropriate.

Edit: content, right, content. Should I be getting these kingdom titles out to my family members? I legitimately do wish to know.

Real edit: quote != edit. My bad.

• Locked thread