Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I was thinking of making a team for the Battle Maison. I have 2 members so far:

Protean Greninja@ Expert Belt
Hasty
252 Sp. Attack/252 Speed/4 Attack
Surf
Ice Beam
Dark Pulse
U-Turn

Technician Scizor@ Scizorite
Adamant
252 Attack/252 Speed/4 Sp.D
Swords Dance
Bullet Punch
X-Scissor
Brick Break

I was thinking of Noivern for my third, but I could use something bulky. Anyone have any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Is there an itemfinder in x/y? if so where do you get it?

It's called the Dowsing Machine and you get it pretty early on from story-led events, I think. I don't remember doing anything special for it.

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

If I remember right the Ability is mostly a crapshoot, though the mother having the one you want helps (especially if it's a Hidden). You'll give whichever has the Nature you want an Everstone, this will lock all the offspring into having that Nature 100%. You'll give the other parent the Destiny Knot. I'm not sure that it matters if that parent has the best IVs or not, actually, but it couldn't hurt.

Hmm. Alright. My next question stems from how breeding would work with the Destiny Knot. Let's say I had a Ditto with two perfect IVs in varying stats. Would I need to just keep breeding until one hatched with perfect IVs or at least four?

I should preface that with me having a 4 IV Goomy. So a 4 IV Goomy would make it so I only need to boost the two remaining stats (Hp, Attack). Would I just need to breed one of the Dittos with perfect IVs in those two stats and then hope that 4 from the parent and 1 of the good IVs from Ditto transferred over to the kid?

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

noirstronaut posted:

Hmm. Alright. My next question stems from how breeding would work with the Destiny Knot. Let's say I had a Ditto with two perfect IVs in varying stats. Would I need to just keep breeding until one hatched with perfect IVs or at least four?

I should preface that with me having a 4 IV Goomy. So a 4 IV Goomy would make it so I only need to boost the two remaining stats (Hp, Attack). Would I just need to breed one of the Dittos with perfect IVs in those two stats and then hope that 4 from the parent and 1 of the good IVs from Ditto transferred over to the kid?

If you've got a 4IV Goomy you really don't need to go all the way to six. Unless you're going to be using Attack, in this case, you can just ignore that and worry about HP. What I'd suggest, and note I might be wrong here, is breeding with a Ditto that at very least has a 31 in HP and toss a Power Weight on it and a Destiny Knot on the 4IV Goomy. This should pretty quickly (if not immediately) get you a 5IV Goomy. What will probably happen is you'll then breed out 5IV Goomy's until you've got at least one with the Nature you want, then you can breed two 5IV's together until you get the Ability you want.

That is, at least, more or less how I did it with my Nidoran run, only easier because you won't have to worry as much about gender being a massive difference.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Am I reading Mega Kangaskhan's ability correctly? It effectively doubles the power of any move used? Or does it just double proc chances for added effects and such?

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Bruceski posted:

Am I reading Mega Kangaskhan's ability correctly? It effectively doubles the power of any ability moved? Or does it just double proc chances for added effects and such?

as far as I know it's a two-thirds boost in power and it doubles the chance that an effect will proc

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Bruceski posted:

Am I reading Mega Kangaskhan's ability correctly? It effectively doubles the power of any move used? Or does it just double proc chances for added effects and such?

The second attack is half as powerful as the one that triggered it, but it is a seperate attack and thus triggers anything on an attack again (so double procs, second one will hit after a Substitute breaks IIRC, and so on).

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Bruceski posted:

The second attack is half as powerful but can proc whatever effects again. Mega Kanga with Power-Up Punch can become insane very quickly.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Everyone has talked about how awesome Mega Gengar is, but every Mega Gengar I fought tonight died in a single sucker punch from my Mega Banette. Pretty clear whom the superior ghost is :smug:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Mega-Manectric looks hilarious, I need to find a way to put it in a party despite the better mega options. And the name leading into naming the rest of the team after various robot masters is just added bonus.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Nov 3, 2013

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

If you've got a 4IV Goomy you really don't need to go all the way to six. Unless you're going to be using Attack, in this case, you can just ignore that and worry about HP. What I'd suggest, and note I might be wrong here, is breeding with a Ditto that at very least has a 31 in HP and toss a Power Weight on it and a Destiny Knot on the 4IV Goomy. This should pretty quickly (if not immediately) get you a 5IV Goomy. What will probably happen is you'll then breed out 5IV Goomy's until you've got at least one with the Nature you want, then you can breed two 5IV's together until you get the Ability you want.

That is, at least, more or less how I did it with my Nidoran run, only easier because you won't have to worry as much about gender being a massive difference.

Hmm, I have a 4IV with Defense, SpA, SpD, and Speed. I was hoping on throwing a Destiny Knot on it and breeding with a Ditto with one that's high in HP and hoping it one of the children gets all 5 (at least) and Hydration.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

noirstronaut posted:

Hmm, I have a 4IV with Defense, SpA, SpD, and Speed. I was hoping on throwing a Destiny Knot on it and breeding with a Ditto with one that's high in HP and hoping it one of the children gets all 5 (at least) and Hydration.

That should work. If you've got a Ditto that's high in HP and also has the Nature you want, you'll probably save a bit of time in the long run. If not, it'll basically be luck of the draw and might involve another step like what I said before.

Again, though, I might be wrong and someone might sweep in later and correct me.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Everyone has talked about how awesome Mega Gengar is, but every Mega Gengar I fought tonight died in a single sucker punch from my Mega Banette. Pretty clear whom the superior ghost is :smug:

I'm surprised that nobody is using Sub+Disable Mega Gengar. Just more time for Banette to take the throne of King Ghost that it has always deserved

Not a Twat
Oct 11, 2010

Oops you almost got away without your Diddy

Internet Kraken posted:

If the Gengar knows Substitute though... then what could the Mega Banette do?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Not a Twat posted:

If the Gengar knows Substitute though... then what could the Mega Banette do?

Call for backup from his Noivern buddy :colbert:

Really though, everyone using Mega Gengar is doing it horribly. I guess they just assume that Bane doesn't know sucker punch and they can simply oneshot him with a shadow ball. He isn't a very popular mega so people might not know what to expect from him yet.

EDIT: Oh yeah, for anyone that wanted me to add them via PM, I dumped all of my PMs like a day ago by mistake. If you want me to add you, hop onto IRC and contact me there.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Nov 3, 2013

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I learned the hard way that Ghost-type Curse goes through Substitute, as do sound moves, apparently including Perish Song.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

That should work. If you've got a Ditto that's high in HP and also has the Nature you want, you'll probably save a bit of time in the long run. If not, it'll basically be luck of the draw and might involve another step like what I said before.

Again, though, I might be wrong and someone might sweep in later and correct me.

Hmm. I managed to get a 5 IV one (Calm and Hydration too) with the lacking being defense. I might just run with this one. :D

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

noirstronaut posted:

Hmm. I managed to get a 5 IV one (Calm and Hydration too) with the lacking being defense. I might just run with this one. :D

If you have nothing better to do, you could probably keep going on it for a little while longer until you've got a male and a female with 5 IVs and then throw them together and see what you get. It just kind of comes down to your patience in the end, and how perfect you want to go. I also have no real idea what you'd do with a Goomy, but it sounded like you're not going to want to let it take a physical hit anyway so skimping on Defense probably won't be a big deal.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

If you have nothing better to do, you could probably keep going on it for a little while longer until you've got a male and a female with 5 IVs and then throw them together and see what you get. It just kind of comes down to your patience in the end, and how perfect you want to go. I also have no real idea what you'd do with a Goomy, but it sounded like you're not going to want to let it take a physical hit anyway so skimping on Defense probably won't be a big deal.

Yeah, that was the plan.

I wanted to cross-check its IVs since I got this bad boy off of Reddit, but does the Kiloude guy mess it up a bit when taking in EVs?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I can understand why some Pokemons like Tyranitar get Mega Evolutions (because Tyranitar is loving awesome), but were people really clamoring and screaming for a new Manectric evo? Why not give one to like, Farfetch'd. That poor, unloved rear end in a top hat.

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

Manectric is a blue lightning dog, I don't see what there is not to love about him (other than being weak).

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

noirstronaut posted:

Yeah, that was the plan.

I wanted to cross-check its IVs since I got this bad boy off of Reddit, but does the Kiloude guy mess it up a bit when taking in EVs?

EVs have no effect on his reports

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009
Alright so currently I have a team made of Galvantula, Togekiss, Mega Khan, Rotom fire, and Trevenent. For my last spot I'm trying to decide who I want for my rapid spinner.

Now, I've narrowed it down to Donphan, Tentacruel, Exadrill, or Starmie. Exadrill and starmie are very aggressive choices and I'm leaning towards them right now. Tentacruel has great resistances for my team and deals with fairies. Donphan can take a hit from anything physical and checks a lot of things safely. Aegislash could be painful without him. What do you guys think is best?

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

So how do you find the random trees? I see them here: http://www.serebii.net/xy/wilditems.shtml

But when it says, say, "Route 17", what does that mean? Randomly on the route? Are there specific spots? I just want some berries :(

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

myron cope posted:

So how do you find the random trees? I see them here: http://www.serebii.net/xy/wilditems.shtml

But when it says, say, "Route 17", what does that mean? Randomly on the route? Are there specific spots? I just want some berries :(

Get into a battle on that route and there might be a tree.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Calaveron posted:

I can understand why some Pokemons like Tyranitar get Mega Evolutions (because Tyranitar is loving awesome), but were people really clamoring and screaming for a new Manectric evo?
The whole point of Mega Evolution is they want to make poo poo Pokémon usable, which is what actual evolved forms used to do before they stopped doing that because of how much people complained about Magmortar, Electivire, Tangrowth, Magnezone and Probopass. The ones for cool (already strong) Pokémon like Tyranitar, Garchomp and Lati@s are for marketing purposes.

Farfetch'd will remain forever terrible because the entirety of the drat joke is it's a duck that walks up to you carrying the very ingredients you need to make it into a soup.

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

Crosscontaminant posted:

The whole point of Mega Evolution is they want to make poo poo Pokémon usable

Thats uh, highly debatable considering Blaziken, Mewtwo, Garchomp, Scizor, Gengar, Alakazam and Tyranitar got one (two in Mewtwos case). Some poo poo Pokemon like Mawile and Banette got a nice boost yes, but it doesn't seem to be a method of helping to prop up the bad mons considering how many ridiculously strong Pokemon got an even bigger power boost. When 50% of Mega Evolutions go to the 1% in Pokemon terms I don't think you can call it an equalization measure.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Crosscontaminant posted:

The whole point of Mega Evolution is they want to make poo poo Pokémon usable, which is what actual evolved forms used to do before they stopped doing that because of how much people complained about Magmortar, Electivire, Tangrowth, Magnezone and Probopass. The ones for cool (already strong) Pokémon like Tyranitar, Garchomp and Lati@s are for marketing purposes.

Farfetch'd will remain forever terrible because the entirety of the drat joke is it's a duck that walks up to you carrying the very ingredients you need to make it into a soup.

Sorry, I missed the previous generations, but what were the complaints on those guys?
And if the point is to make poo poo Pokemon usable, why not just tweak their stats to not make them awful? Or give them gimmicks and abilities that make them useful?

And I've wanted a Farfetch'd evo ever since I saw this cool samurai-themed evolution :v:

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Crosscontaminant posted:

Bullshit. You still need something to cook it in. Obviously it needs an evolution (mega or otherwise) that makes it Steel/Flying and gives it a pot to wear on its head, thus taking the joke even further.

Notably I'm not saying it needs to be any better than it already is, or than Steel/Flying would make it.

Edit: Hell, make it a trade evolution that requires Metal Coat and pull a Scyther. Have it keep the same base stat total but mix it up a little and give it Steel in the typing.

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman

Zahki posted:

Thats uh, highly debatable considering Blaziken, Mewtwo, Garchomp, Scizor, Gengar, Alakazam and Tyranitar got one (two in Mewtwos case). Some poo poo Pokemon like Mawile and Banette got a nice boost yes, but it doesn't seem to be a method of helping to prop up the bad mons considering how many ridiculously strong Pokemon got an even bigger power boost. When 50% of Mega Evolutions go to the 1% in Pokemon terms I don't think you can call it an equalization measure.
Mega Blaziken, Scizor, and Alakazam aren't that much better than their original forms. Heck, Mega Garchomp and Mega Tyranitar are WORSE than their normal forms.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Zahki posted:

Thats uh, highly debatable considering Blaziken, Mewtwo, Garchomp, Scizor, Gengar, Alakazam and Tyranitar got one (two in Mewtwos case).
My post had more than one sentence. Have a look at the second one.

Calaveron posted:

And if the point is to make poo poo Pokemon usable, why not just tweak their stats to not make them awful?
Gamefreak hates changing base stats. This is the first time they've ever done it, and it's only the tiniest changes (increasing one stat by ten) except for Pikachu who gets 15 in both defences because Pikachu.

Calaveron posted:

Or give them gimmicks and abilities that make them useful?
Gimmicks don't work. The only time abilities have ever made poo poo Pokémon usable was when Politoed and Ninetales got the weather inducing abilities, which made them usable by virtue of being completely broken.

Calaveron posted:

And I've wanted a Farfetch'd evo ever since I saw this cool samurai-themed evolution :v:
You and everyone else. Not happening. Lunch doesn't fight back.

Crosscontaminant fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Nov 3, 2013

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Does anyone else kind of hate the ranking system in Rating Battles? It seems kinda hosed to me that you can win 1 match and never play again and end up ranking better than a player with an even win/loss ratio.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Calaveron posted:

Sorry, I missed the previous generations, but what were the complaints on those guys?

Gen IV added a ton of evolutions to old pokemon, many of which were Gen I. It made them a lot better by giving them access to new moves and better stats, but for the most part they looked AWFUL. A lot of people got pissed off because they viewed it as Gamefreak ruining their favorite pokemon by giving them hideous evolutions.

BingeHooligan
Dec 24, 2010

Crosscontaminant posted:

Gimmicks don't work.

Prankster would like to have a word with you.

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

TheEggsBenedict posted:

Mega Blaziken, Scizor, and Alakazam aren't that much better than their original forms. Heck, Mega Garchomp and Mega Tyranitar are WORSE than their normal forms.

Thats beside the point though, if Mega Evolutions were supposed to give a leg up to unused and unloved Pokemon it doesn't make sense that they'd give the majority of them to the most popular and powerful Pokemon around. I think it will get better in future generations though, assuming they retain it and keep adding new Mega Evolutions. Once we hit the point where 100 or so mons have megas choosing which one to slot into your team should be really interesting.

quote:

My post had more than one sentence. Have a look at the second one.

Just saying that the point of Mega Evolution being to make poo poo Pokemon usable is wrong.

Zahki fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Nov 3, 2013

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Gen IV added a ton of evolutions to old pokemon, many of which were Gen I. It made them a lot better by giving them access to new moves and better stats, but for the most part they looked AWFUL. A lot of people got pissed off because they viewed it as Gamefreak ruining their favorite pokemon by giving them hideous evolutions.

I was really excited over most of the evolutions in Generation 4, honestly :shobon: Their designs are certainly a whole lot less hideous than like, 90% of the Mega Evolutions.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

BingeHooligan posted:

Prankster would like to have a word with you.

Prankster is a gimmick in the way Mach Punch is a gimmick - it isn't one.

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman

Internet Kraken posted:

Weavile and Magnezone looked awesome. :colbert:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

It was also the gen that gave us Yanmega, which is worth any number of Tangrowths.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

TheEggsBenedict posted:

Weavile and Magnezone looked awesome. :colbert:

Lickilicky is The Coolest Motherfucker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

Internet Kraken posted:

Do Game Freak even listen to feedback anyway? I thought they were like most Nintendo studios, they live in their own little bubble and do their own thing.

• Locked thread