Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

Crosscontaminant posted:

Gimmicks don't work. The only time abilities have ever made poo poo Pokémon usable was when Politoed and Ninetales got the weather inducing abilities, which made them usable by virtue of being completely broken.

Yeah, it's a good thing single moves (Cloyster) or Dream World abilities (Espeon) have never made Pokémon really good in competitive play or anything.

Wait, poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

nerdbot posted:

I was really excited over most of the evolutions in Generation 4, honestly :shobon: Their designs are certainly a whole lot less hideous than like, 90% of the Mega Evolutions.

I agree that mega evolutions are mostly crap. As for Gen IV, I wasn't saying my opinion but rather the general response I heard. A lot of people didn't like the abundance of evolutions for old pokemon. Personally, I think they are a mixed bag. Some of them like Honchkrow look great, but then you have ones like Magmortar which are just awful.

I think if they had come up with mega evolutions during gen IV, almost all of them probably would of been mega forms rather than new pokemon. I guess with megas I can at least ignore the hideous ones since I don't need their dex entries.

Zahki posted:

Do Game Freak even listen to feedback anyway? I thought they were like most Nintendo studios, they live in their own little bubble and do their own thing.

I have no idea. Given that it took Gamefreak 5 generations to realize more than one hotkey for key items would be nice is pretty bad. What really confuses me is that Gamefreak doesn't seem to take feedback from themselves. Black and White 2 had a lot of great design changes that mysteriously vanished in X/Y. I can't imagine what sort of development process they have where that is possible.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Nov 3, 2013

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

What the flying gently caress is this level 1 Aron strategy? Some guy used one against me that nearly killed my whiscash with endeavor, but then it was completely useless and died in one hit so what was the point?

Countblanc posted:

You're supposed to give the Aron a Shell Bell, which heals him for some percentage of HP based on the damage he does, and to keep a Sandstorm rolling. The idea is that Sturdy takes you to 1 HP after a hit, and Endeavor will heal you back up to full with the Bell (allowing Sturdy to trigger again), and then the sandstorm will kill the enemy. But since weather isn't permanent anymore it's pretty crappy, and it wasn't great to begin with.

Here's the best example of the strategy in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0_EHIZCZIo

Combined with a prankster liepard with fake out/taunt/encore/sucker punch it's tough to beat, even if you see it coming. Fake out forces protects, then encore locks the opponent into protect. Meanwhile sucker punch finishes off the 1HP pokemon if they try to attack, and if they don't want to attack, taunt forces them to. The focus sash also protects liepard from OHKOs.

Besides sucker punch to finish off weakened pokes, there's also sandstorm and stealth rock (which is essentially never used in competitive doubles).

Neo_Crimson posted:

Technician Scizor@ Scizorite
Adamant
252 Attack/252 Speed/4 Sp.D
Swords Dance
Bullet Punch
X-Scissor
Brick Break

For Scizor, especially the mega version, you'll want to invest in bulk rather than speed, so 252HP/252Atk is what you want. Since your main attack, bullet punch, is priority, and scizor doesn't have a very high base speed anyway, there's not much need for speed EVs.
There's also no reason to use X-Scissor on Scizor since Bug Bite does more damage after technician: 60 power becomes 90, more than x-scissor's 80. Bug Bite also steals berries while x-scissor only does damage.
U-turn is another option for bug type STAB, although it's less powerful, the ability to switch and do damage at the same time makes it one of the most useful moves in the whole game, although using it on a swords dance set doesn't make as much sense when the boost goes away after switching. Personally I've never been a fan of swords dance scizor since it's not hard to wall, but a lot of other people have done well with it so it's really just personal preference.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Bruceski posted:

It was also the gen that gave us Yanmega, which is worth any number of Tangrowths.

Lickilicky is cool because his Explosion is the most powerful attack in the game.

e: I quoted the wrong thing but someone mentioned Lickilicky so pretend I quoted that guy

LAY-ZX fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Nov 3, 2013

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

LAY-ZX posted:

Lickilicky is cool because his Explosion is the most powerful attack in the game.

e: I quoted the wrong thing but someone mentioned Lickilicky so pretend I quoted that guy

Was. They got rid of the defense-halving part of Explosion, so I'm sure that title has been claimed by another Pokemon.

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

Wait, do people dislike Tangrowth? :psyduck: It looks hilarious and awesome though.

Internet Kraken posted:

I agree that mega evolutions are mostly crap. As for Gen IV, I wasn't saying my opinion but rather the general response I heard. A lot of people didn't like the abundance of evolutions for old pokemon. Personally, I think they are a mixed bag. Some of them like Honchkrow look great, but then you have ones like Magmortar which are just awful.

I think this is a fair assessment. Also seconding that Honchkrow is probably one of their best later-introduced evos.

fake edit: Internet Kraken did you get my PM? :ohdear:

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

BougieBitch posted:

Was. They got rid of the defense-halving part of Explosion, so I'm sure that title has been claimed by another Pokemon.

poo poo, I forgot about that. Well, it's still the only normal type who gets Explosion so at least it still has the title of strongest attack by raw BP, unless Aurorus learns it or something.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

nerdbot posted:

Does anyone else kind of hate the ranking system in Rating Battles? It seems kinda hosed to me that you can win 1 match and never play again and end up ranking better than a player with an even win/loss ratio.

A known drawback of that kind of rating system is that it takes a significant number of battles to become accurate.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Internet Kraken posted:

I have no idea. Given that it took Gamefreak 5 generations to realize more than one hotkey for key items would be nice is pretty bad. What really confuses me is that Gamefreak doesn't seem to take feedback from themselves. Black and White 2 had a lot of great design changes that mysteriously vanished in X/Y. I can't imagine what sort of development process they have where that is possible.

I beleive they actually have two separate teams working on the games, and they don't seem to talk to each other.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

I hate how many of those gen 4 evolutions are downright unusable, Yanmega and Togekiss stand out as being really great, but they absolutely refuse to give Magnezone Levitate because Gamefreak loves holding otherwise great pokemon back. That is unless your name is Tyranitar, then you increasingly ridiculous buffs every generation.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Internet Kraken posted:

Gen IV added a ton of evolutions to old pokemon, many of which were Gen I. It made them a lot better by giving them access to new moves and better stats, but for the most part they looked AWFUL. A lot of people got pissed off because they viewed it as Gamefreak ruining their favorite pokemon by giving them hideous evolutions.

They can't be that ba-

Oh.

Ohhh.

Ohhhhh.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I like all three of those :colbert:

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Calaveron posted:

They can't be that ba-

Oh.

Ohhh.

Ohhhhh.

These are loving awesome looking; gently caress you all.

e: Sike, just kidding. Can someone help me crosscheck the IVs on this Goomy.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

I will not stand for people talking guff about any form of Electabuzz. :argh:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

gently caress you guys Elekid and Electivire are 10000% cooler than Electabuzz's pudgy rear end ever was or will be.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

nerdbot posted:

I like all three of those :colbert:

They definitely were the best 3. Magmorter is an awesome design.

VVV poo poo, forgot about Yanmega.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Unbound posted:

They definitely were the best 3. Magmorter is an awesome design.

Yanmega and Ambiom are cooler but I'll agree about Magmorter.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Calaveron posted:

They can't be that ba-

Oh.

Ohhh.

Ohhhhh.

Yeeeeahhh...opinions were mostly negative on them from what I've seen. That said, the transition to 3D has helped some pokemon. I used to hate Electrivire but his animations are pretty drat great. And no matter how much you hate one pokemon, there are going to be people that love it. That's the way this series has always been.

My most loathed pokemon will always be Togekiss. I don't care what you say, that fat bloated bird does not belong in this game :colbert:

Dr Pepper posted:

I beleive they actually have two separate teams working on the games, and they don't seem to talk to each other.

Which is pretty drat dumb. You'd think they would at least play each others games and realize "hey, this feature was really good! Lets keep this in the next game!".

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Nov 3, 2013

PumpkinBat
Oct 22, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

Maybe they compete against each other, and thus have a rule that when one comes up with a feature, the other team can't copy it (barring mechanic changes like the Special split and new types and what not).

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009

LeafyOrb posted:

I hate how many of those gen 4 evolutions are downright unusable, Yanmega and Togekiss stand out as being really great, but they absolutely refuse to give Magnezone Levitate because Gamefreak loves holding otherwise great pokemon back. That is unless your name is Tyranitar, then you increasingly ridiculous buffs every generation.

Why would they give it levitate. It would ruin the whole point of loving over steel pokemon.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

This is one of my first online battles. I... didn't expect my stupid keys to be so good

VWXW-WWWW-WWW2-DNSX

Also I may be awful at this game

Water-Raccoon
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Enjoying the game, but I may have to return it and get a new copy because I've got a really huge problem and I was wondering if anyone else had run into it.

The problem is the game keeps locking up repeatedly and relentlessly when I do one of two particular actions. The first is it hard-locks(music plays, but only get a black screen) when I exit the Summary screen of any Pokemon(though not always, it happens more often than it doesn't, makes checking eggs/stats a real pain in the rear end). The second action that results in a freeze(this time a naked one, the scene stops in time on both screens, but music continues) is when I enter the Kiloude City Pokemon Center. Almost every time when I enter, I can take one or two steps and bam, hard freeze. This area seems really glitchy in particular as in the rare occasions I /don't/ freeze there's a Veteran-looking woman in the NE section of the Center who, when she walks around, literally spins through the floor.

So, am I pretty much boned as far as options? Does anyone else run into crap like this? I've clocked over 110 hours and would /not/ like to lose it if at all possible.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

The Mattybee posted:

Yeah, it's a good thing single moves (Cloyster) or Dream World abilities (Espeon) have never made Pokémon really good in competitive play or anything.

Wait, poo poo.

There's also Scizor who, until Bullet Punch, was effectively useless because he offered a gimmicky Technician build and a huge Fire weakness.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Classtoise posted:

There's also Scizor who, until Bullet Punch, was effectively useless because he offered a gimmicky Technician build and a huge Fire weakness.

It should be noted that he didn't get Bullet Punch until Platinum, and didn't have Technician until DP.

He was stuck with Silver Wind and Steel Wing for attacks in RSE.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

I just got swept by a Zoroark in the Battle Maison, because it was disguised as a Machamp and I tried to hit it with Psychic while it used Nasty Plot. Losing my streak in a battle facility normally fills me with seething rage, but I just can't be mad about this one, because in four generations of battle facilities that's the most fair loss I've ever experienced.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I love most of the evolutions from Gen 4. Togekiss, Yammega, Mammoswine, Weavile, Homchkrow, Electivire, Gliscor, Ambipom and Mismagius are all really great to me.

Also, Powder is really hilarious. I just killed a Blaziken in a rating battle with 2 Powders and a Rockslide. Triples is fun.

Nessa fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Nov 3, 2013

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
Regular online battles auto level to 50, right?

e: i'm dumb and didn't bother to look around.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip
Give Farfetch'd two leeks. That would be fuckin' wild. Double attack like Kangaskhan, and make him Flying/Fighting. Would use him forever.

I'm breeding a Pinsir because Scyther can't learn Bug Bite, so I'm running my other fav bug pokemon. Its mega evolution is the poo poo. I'm thinking of running X Scissor, Earthquake, Return and Quick Attack: the latter two will get flying STAB due to his ability and he'll just be wrecking faces left and right. Plus he avoids Stealth Rock rubbish in part due to the mega evo.

As far as making bad pokes good go, I think he's one of the better ones.

PumpkinBat
Oct 22, 2012

Nessa posted:

I love most of the evolutions from Gen 4. Togekiss, Yammega, Mammoswine, Weavile, Homchkrow, Electivire, Gliscor, Ambipom and Mismagius are all really great to me.

Gliscor is by far my favorite; he retains/expands on everything that made Gligar great. Togekiss, Mismagius, Honchkrow and Weavile fall into that camp as well.

But Ambipom, Electivire, and Mamoswine (design-wise) seem to me (for the lack of a better term), contrived. As if someone tried to make bootleg Pokemon. To each his own, though. I like Amoonguss, after all.

Nessa posted:

Also, Powder is really hilarious. I just killed a Blaziken in a rating battle with 2 Powders and a Rockslide. Triples is fun.

I hope Powder eventually becomes a move tutor, because that sounds hilarious.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

PumpkinBat posted:

Gliscor is by far my favorite; he retains/expands on everything that made Gligar great. Togekiss, Mismagius, Honchkrow and Weavile fall into that camp as well.

But Ambipom, Electivire, and Mamoswine (design-wise) seem to me (for the lack of a better term), contrived. As if someone tried to make bootleg Pokemon. To each his own, though. I like Amoonguss, after all.

I hope Powder eventually becomes a move tutor, because that sounds hilarious.

I never really liked Electabuzz very much and Aipom and Piloswine were just okay. Mammoswine is a mammoth and mammoths are really cool. Electivire actually looks kinda menacing and Ambipom looks goofy, but cute. My gimmick Ambipom is named Dr. Tiki.

Magnezone also looks crazy rad, but I was also never really a fan of Magneton. It went from just "3 magnets stuck together" to "holy crap, it's a UFO!"

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE
Magneton and Electabuzz were the best, you just clearly have bad taste in Electric-types :colbert:

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Classtoise posted:

Magneton and Electabuzz were the best, you just clearly have bad taste in Electric-types :colbert:

Klang and Klinklang literally just use the exact same sprite/model as their pre-evolution with extra poo poo added on and I STILL think that's a less lazy design than Magneton.

PumpkinBat
Oct 22, 2012

Nessa posted:

I never really liked Electabuzz very much and Aipom and Piloswine were just okay. Mammoswine is a mammoth and mammoths are really cool. Electivire actually looks kinda menacing and Ambipom looks goofy, but cute. My gimmick Ambipom is named Dr. Tiki.

Magnezone also looks crazy rad, but I was also never really a fan of Magneton. It went from just "3 magnets stuck together" to "holy crap, it's a UFO!"

You know, this is very informative to me. I mean in retrospect it's obvious, isn't it? If you were a fan of the old designs, you disliked the new designs, but if you never liked the old designs, the new ones are improvements.

I agree Magnezone is a pretty cool design.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
I've been taking my time getting through the game, collecting as many unique pokes as I could muster the patience for along the way. By the time I got the seventh gym badge earlier this evening, I had 201 different pokemon in my collection, which I thought was pretty good, and quite a pleasant surprise given my experience with the previous titles, where I was lucky to collect that many over the course of the entire game.

I exhausted nearly all the wild pokemon opportunities until I opened up the next stage of the game, so I departed for the Flare HQ to grab Xerneas and wrap up the main plot.

One round with a quick ball was all it took, after casting the Capture Level 3 O-Power before the fight. I've never had a legendary fight that didn't either take dozens of rounds or require using the master ball. Now I have no idea what I'll save that for.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Mamoswine and Porygon-Z not good enough for you?

Anyway, I hope that there's a mixture of new evolutions and new mega evolutions in the future, because some lines deserve not just to be better, but to have more than one of them being better on a team at a time, and while having an item slot. Mega Farfetch'd would be unable to use its signature item, and that would be a tragedy.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I'm kinda curious to see what GF adds to the game. There are so many Pokes that we can't get that it'd be cool to see what events are like and if they are added-on the game or already exist somewhere in them.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I like Magnezone's look, but it feels odd coming off of Magneton. Kinda like those Venomoth/Butterfree theories that have been around for ages.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I don't even want to think about what would come out of a magnezone like evolution on dugtrio.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

nerdz posted:

I don't even want to think about what would come out of a magnezone like evolution on dugtrio.

Excadrill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

nerdz posted:

I want a Dugtrio evolution where a hand erupts from the ground and each finger is a Diglett head.

• Locked thread