Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ojetor posted:

Your client being guilty kinda ruins the entire "always believe in your client" mantra that Phoenix stands by. I haven't played Matt Engarde's case in a long time but I seem to remember all that stuff is just conveniently ignored for that case.

We had this exact conversation in 2-4 though. The whole point is that Phoenix is challenged on how he bases his defense off of his faith in his client.

2-4 spoilers, I suppose posted:

Edgeworth: It doesn't matter who, every person deserves a proper defense and a fair trial. Isn't that the basis of our judicial system?

Phoenix: "Proper defense"? But what exactly is that? Is it where a lawyer forcibly and blindly gets an acquittal through shouting and trickery?

Edgeworth: …*sigh* Ironic that you of all people should say such a thing. Isn't that exactly how you have fought for your clients up until now?

Phoenix: Uh… W-Well, that may be true, but… But that's… That's because I've believed my clients to be innocent from the bottom of my heart! But if I were to get Engarde an acquittal… That… That isn't a proper defense at all! I became a lawyer because I thought… I thought I could save people who were in suffering and in pain… But… When I look at this mess we're in… I can't even protect the person closest to me. Even if I win the case, I still lose in the end… I just don't know what to do!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Suspicious Cook posted:

I can only imagine that conversation. "Wright-dono, how would you feel about representing the woman who threatened your daughter's life?"

You know he'd do it.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Strange Quark posted:

We had this exact conversation in 2-4 though. The whole point is that Phoenix is challenged on how he bases his defense off of his faith in his client.

I remember that conversation, but in the end the trial is anything but fair considering Engarde confesses under duress, with a trained assassin threatening to kill him.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ojetor posted:

I remember that conversation, but in the end the trial is anything but fair considering Engarde confesses under duress, with a trained assassin threatening to kill him.

Yeah, I agree about the trial; having Phoenix under coercion the whole time certainly didn't help either. Obviously, we need another case with a not completely innocent defendant to do it right. DLC Aura case Capcom, do it do it do it.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Strange Quark posted:

DLC Aura case Capcom, do it do it do it.

Hmm. Bring back the jury system from the end of AJ again, and then the case is about making an argument for jury nullification? I'm pretty sure that wouldn't make any sense within the confines of AA's game system, though.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Quest For Glory II posted:

I think it would be an interesting spin on the series if a couple of cases had you recognize that your client was guilty and then negotiate a plea deal. And then bluffing your way into getting a felony reduced to, like, jaywalking.

Considering what loops and drama Phoenix has to go through to defend an innocent client, I don't think anyone in Japanifornia would be able to pull that off

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Well, Franny offers a chance to plead Self Defence in 2-2, so it would be definitely possible. Regarding Phoenix defending Aura, well, I could see how now, he would, just for the sake of not letting her get screwed too blady by a prosecutor. It would kind of goes against the ending of 2-4, and well, the tone of the whole game if he was to say "screw you, you're on your own", to someone.

Artix posted:

the cases tended to drag a little with bits of testimony that didn't really add to the mystery (Hugh's whole bullshit about a body double and such immediately comes to mind),

This peculiar testimony do leads to a gem, though: Blackquill going "gently caress it, this is stupid, Athena, clean your mess, I'm grabbing a beer with Fulbright.".

Iceclaw fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Nov 3, 2013

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Ojetor posted:

Yeah. I think Wright does kindof believe that "the ends justify the means", it's just that the end he is aiming for is the conviction of the true culprit rather than a victory for his client. The examples I would give for this are:
- Blackmailing a confession out of Redd White
- Forcing Engarde to confess under threat of murder
- Convicting Kristoph under false evidence
- Changing the entire legal system just to let him convict Kristoph again

It could be an interesting source of conflict with Athena in future games.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Don't forget tricking Tigre into confessing using phony evidence. I already thought Apollo in AA4 presented a pretty good contrast. Especially how Apollo had no problem outing his clients as criminals, but Phoenix managed to get Mask*DeMasque off the hook and generally tried covering for his defendants.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Final time of 16:45.

Three things I'm very mildly annoyed about. Firstly, Klavier does not air guitar even once. Second, they did not use this sprite for Trucy at any point, which was my favorite. And thirdly, you never do get to see the spy's actual face.

On the whole, a spectacularly fun game. Apollo really comes into his own, especially in the last case. Also Simon going "what? No I don't work here" during the credits got a good laugh out of me.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
The phantom is like a monster in a horror movie. He's a lot scarier when you don't know what he looks like, because if they reveal it, it's just going to be a let-down.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

The phantom is like a monster in a horror movie. He's a lot scarier when you don't know what he looks like, because if they reveal it, it's just going to be a let-down.

It also takes the theme of the phantom having no true identity to a very literal level when, even after losing his last mask, the phantom's face cannot be seen.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Ahahah holy poo poo. Case 5 spoilers: Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...

Terper posted:

Well, that explains how the phantom survived the sniper shot. Maybe Phoenix brought his hobo hat to court and Missile swapped it with the bullet. :v:

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

Terper posted:

Well great, now I can't stop imagining an AA game with Cabanela as the detective. I mean, poo poo, he even dresses kind of like Fulbright.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Wonderslug posted:

Well great, now I can't stop imagining an AA game with Cabanela as the detective. I mean, poo poo, he even dresses kind of like Fulbright.

What about a Ghost Trick game with the real Fulbright as the protagonist? He did die at a space center, after all. Maybe they had some radioactive meteorites lying around. :v:

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
I spent most of case 5 thinking that the (missing object) moon rock was going to be related to the case 2 gold. I'm overthinking ace attorney.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
Speaking of case 2 I have to wonder what Grandpa Filch did with that big chunk of gold. He clearly didn't use it to lay down a better future for his descendants.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Well, Filch said it was a "get rich quick" kind of treasure, so it may very well be that his grandfather spent/lost it all almost as soon as he got it. :v:

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

In the wrong hands, the stapler is a deadly weapon.

Just finished the whole game. Overall, I dug it and enjoyed getting back into the series.

For Case 5, I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the ending yet, even if I liked playing out the case itself. I was blindsided when it seemed that Fulbright was the culprit, because he seemed like such a stand-up guy! That said, I still enjoyed the twist, and breaking through his lack of emotions.

However, the twist beyond that, where it wasn't Fulbright at all, but some nebulous faceless spy, I'm less certain about. One thing I like about these games is poking the holes in the testimony of some smug jerk we've gotten to know through the game. To have it be someone we never really met in the game and ultimately never find out who it is (and the character even being vaguely sympathetic with his having lost his true self and all) seems a bit off to me. I guess I have to look at it in terms of the spy being more the catalyst for the development of the protagonists, and I do like how they grew throughout the game.

That said, I don't regret the purchase at all, and looking forward to more adventures.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
This game's main cast is getting a bit cluttered. I mean, we have Phoenix, Apollo, Edgey, Athena, Maya, Pearls, Franziska, Klavier, Gumshoe, Ema?, Trucy and Blackquill and it just seems like a lot. Like, Trucy doesn't do anything at all all game, she could have not really been in it. Same with Klavier and Edgeworth, Pearls too. Gumeshoe wasn't in this game either and Ema stepped down from duties in this game.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Austrian mook posted:

This game's main cast is getting a bit cluttered. I mean, we have Phoenix, Apollo, Edgey, Athena, Maya, Pearls, Franziska, Klavier, Gumshoe, Ema?, Trucy and Blackquill and it just seems like a lot. Like, Trucy doesn't do anything at all all game, she could have not really been in it. Same with Klavier and Edgeworth, Pearls too. Gumeshoe wasn't in this game either and Ema stepped down from duties in this game.

While this it is true their appearances aren't strictly necessary, if you remember back to AA4's reception, one of the big complaints was that there were very few returning characters. Hell, people complained about Maya not appearing in this game even though she kinda "appears" via her letter.

I like the cameos, they give a little bit more depth to the world. AA already suffers a bit from it's episodic format in that the vast majority of characters appear for one case at most and are never heard of again. Having a little continuity between cases and between games is a good thing, IMO.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah, it seems like a lot, but compared to the huge cast over all the games it isn't, really. Not to me anyway?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Ojetor posted:

While this it is true their appearances aren't strictly necessary, if you remember back to AA4's reception, one of the big complaints was that there were very few returning characters. Hell, people complained about Maya not appearing in this game even though she kinda "appears" via her letter.

I like the cameos, they give a little bit more depth to the world. AA already suffers a bit from it's episodic format in that the vast majority of characters appear for one case at most and are never heard of again. Having a little continuity between cases and between games is a good thing, IMO.

I suppose, I did really like how you had Juniper sort of appearing throughout all the cases, that was cool. I also love when you see old characters again, like Adrian, you really feel like stuff is happening offscreen and the world is real or something. I just meant that if we want everyone around, it's unlikely we'll have room for anyone new, although it looks like they're sticking with the Phoenix-Apollo-Athena thing for PW6, if it gets made.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Phoenix Wright has always had lots of recurring characters. It's not a new thing.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
The only game that really had significantly more returning characters was AAI, cameo central. Who cares if they're superfluous, it's Capcom's way of throwing a bone to old fans.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Strange Quark posted:

The only game that really had significantly more returning characters was AAI, cameo central. Who cares if they're superfluous, it's Capcom's way of throwing a bone to old fans.

oh man, if you think the first investigations had cameos, hoo boy! :v:

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Yeah. I think Wright does kindof believe that "the ends justify the means", it's just that the end he is aiming for is the conviction of the true culprit rather than a victory for his client. The examples I would give for this are:
- Blackmailing a confession out of Redd White
- Forcing Engarde to confess under threat of murder
- Convicting Kristoph under false evidence
- Changing the entire legal system just to let him convict Kristoph again

It could be an interesting source of conflict with Athena in future games.

None of those are remotely as they really happen, though. Getting White to confess was a side effect of proving White did have some dirt over someone. Phoenix was not really planning anything ahead here, considering the state he was in. Same for Engarde. Either you plead guilty, because y'know, he IS, or you don't, and Phoenix just rub in Engarde's face that De Killer is about to hunt him down. He doesn't present false evidence though. He uses the same trick as he did against Don Tigre: Lead him to admit waht he shouldn't know, withy a side order of what Franziska pulled on him in 2-2 with that picture of Maya as Mia. Underhanded, but still legal. And overhauling the system to prevent crafty killers to game the system strike me as a fairly sensible goal. On the other hand, the way Means profess that the ends justify the means is pretty much "use anything, even if illegal, as soon as you can". Day and night.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
Nick has always been prone to... well, Wild Accusations and Unabashed Bluffing, it's right their in the thread name! The initial trial system is practically engineered to see prosecutors win cases, so in a sense being completely honest isn't really feasible, even if it's simply intellectual dishonesty, ie arguing something you don't really believe to create room for doubt. The difference is that Professor Means' ends are only success--the truth doesn't matter.

None of the other games are terribly fresh in my mind right now, but in case 3 itself, Athena both exposes Robin's secret to demonstrate there was another woman who could have been on campus at the time, and then argues that the recording is not Juniper shouting "You're a goner!" but Courte shouting "Hugh O'Conner!"--which both turn out to be untrue. It actually is Juniper.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The playing card he has Apollo present in 4-1 is forged, isn't it? Using false evidence to convict a guilty man is pretty much the definition of ends-justifying-means.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Oh man, why is everyone in Case 4 so incredibly adorable :3:

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"
Holy poo poo! No! No no no no no! I refuse. There's NO way! Woah! Holy poo poo! (Major case 5, no gently caress it, major game spoilers) BOBBY loving FULLBRIGHT IS THE PHANTOM!? HE SABOTAGED THE HAT1 LAUNCH, KILLED ATHENA'S MOTHER, SENT BLACKQUILL TO PRISON, AND KILLED CLAY TERAN!? Well, that tops it. I'm done. There can never be another twist as big as that. No way. Nuh-uh.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Snix posted:

Holy poo poo! No! No no no no no! I refuse. There's NO way! Woah! Holy poo poo! (Major case 5, no gently caress it, major game spoilers) BOBBY loving FULLBRIGHT IS THE PHANTOM!? HE SABOTAGED THE HAT1 LAUNCH, KILLED ATHENA'S MOTHER, SENT BLACKQUILL TO PRISON, AND KILLED CLAY TERAN!? Well, that tops it. I'm done. There can never be another twist as big as that. No way. Nuh-uh.

I'd been waiting for you to finish this game after a few of your earlier posts :cool:.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
The twist at the end caught me SUPER by surprise because while browsing this thread, my cursor accidentally passed over some spoilered text and I caught one word. Kristoph. I was on the edge of my seat for the rest of the game waiting for that rear end in a top hat to show up. I believe it really enhanced my shock in the end

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...
The only thing that I managed to spoil for myself was the fact that a piece of evidence was sent into space. I for sure thought that the twist in Case 4 was going to be that, while everyone was underground, one of the rockets had launched, preventing something from being discovered. Kind of disappointed to find out it was instead a done deal with the predecessor case - I think it would've been a great twist if I hadn't been anticipating it.

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"

Pick posted:

I'd been waiting for you to finish this game after a few of your earlier posts :cool:.
I'm glad I finished it. That was just as good as -- if not better than -- AA3. Every case was great, and I can't think of a single character I disliked. In case 3, I was a little worried that the game would be predictable, because I picked Aristotle Means as the killer immediately. But that obviously wasn't going to be the case, considering the curve-balls cases 4 & 5 threw. I'm really happy how developed Apollo became, and Athena turned out to be a much better character than my initial impressions let on. I'm also glad that, by the time the the game was wrapping up, Wright's inclusion didn't feel useless. Blackquill is my favorite prosecutor next to Godot, and I'd love to see more of him. And they're really building Maya up as a mystic figure. We'll probably see her again in AA6. And now that Nick knows how to break black psyche-locks, maybe we'll finally see what Kristoph has been hiding. And maybe Phoenix will finally tell Apollo and Trucy they're siblings. The only things that really bummed me out are Edgeworth's voice, since it really REALLY didn't fit. And the fact that the real Bobby Fulbright is dead. Fuckin' Decoy Octopus! Oh, that, and the empty feeling I'm going to have for a good few days. I hope that DLC comes out soon.

And on a side-note, I think my favorite theme was Athena's objection theme. There was just something so... theme-y about it. It reminds me of something, but I couldn't tell you what.

Snix fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Nov 4, 2013

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So something popped into my mind while playing this, what happened to the Jurist System? Wasn't that supposed to revolutionize how trials played out in the PW world?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So something popped into my mind while playing this, what happened to the Jurist System? Wasn't that supposed to revolutionize how trials played out in the PW world?

It's been gone over in the thread. The reason the Jurist System was a part of Apollo Justice was that at the time, Japan started to do jury trials again after 50 years, and people were hoping it would improve the court system.

It did not.

And Japan just kinda wants to forget about it.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Snix posted:

Lots of people dislike Justice For All, and with-- in retrospect-- good reason, but it was actually my first Phoenix Wright so it has something of a special place in my heart, because even if it's not the best Ace Attorney it still showed me what makes these games compelling. I still remember playing through those cases for the first time and having the "Eureka!" moment where everything came together and the case finally clicked, and even if the story is ultimately linear and railroads you to an inevitable conclusion just as much as any detective novel having to present evidence and piece things together along the way makes that moment where you solve the mystery absolutely sublime in a way few other things are. And then when Matt Engarde flips his hair up in 2-4 and pulls everything into a complete 180 it's just such a great moment and masterful twist that it cemented the entire case as my favorite from any of the games.

And that's why this game's finale is one of my favorites in the series, because as much as the final confrontation isn't what it could have been that moment where you first realize who the true culprit is throws you for a loop in an incredible way that creates the exact same kind of feeling you get in 2-4. I know I'm probably just revealing a bias towards Shymalayan-style twists here, and ultimately there are only so many ways to do "the culprit is somebody you never would have even considered a suspect!" without making it feel like you're ticking off a check box, but I've got a real fondness for having my assumptions messed with like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

It's been gone over in the thread. The reason the Jurist System was a part of Apollo Justice was that at the time, Japan started to do jury trials again after 50 years, and people were hoping it would improve the court system.

It did not.

And Japan just kinda wants to forget about it.

Oh, I see. Well, is there an in-game explanation for why it's no longer used?

• Locked thread